XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Movement/spotting Bug?

Popek

Under normal circumstances the game will pause movement actions when an enemy unit is spotted.

Sometimes however a unit will spot at certain parts of a movement command and carry on as if there is no threat. This results in some unfortunate casualties that often (according to the victim of the bug) claims costs them the match ^_^ .

It most often occurs during a turn in movement or when a unit is moving up/down a floor. These seem the easiest to recreate at least.

i would agree with his statement, i have had it happen myselfat random points and its really irritating when the game gets inconsistent like that. If you unit can spot an enemy and said enemy doesnt react (Assuming your unit spots him and stops!) you can forumlate a new plan of action based on the situation. Otherwise you have a much higher chance of getting your a.ss reaction fired to hells. Its especially irritating when your fighting air units, as you rightly point out it means that the much harder to see and hit air targets can be walked past loosing TUS to find the target again. Edited by Sporb

I'd say that the player is a bit too fond of overclicking the left mouse button (and not using the right one to stop the unit) but OK....

Thats all well and good to say that but when your unit walks past and you stop him even 1 square later (if your quick enough to stop him that close) then its precious TUS that could have been used to drop the enemy unit because of an inconsitancy in the game.

I'd say that the player is a bit too fond of overclicking the left mouse button (and not using the right one to stop the unit) but OK....

yeah this is not a case of clicking too many times (thats not to say i've not done that before heh)

I have been able to recreate it with flying units moving up/down more than one level in a movement and spotting a unit halfway in their descent/ascent.

As well if a unit has to make a turn at some point in their movement path. If they spot an enemy whilst in the middle of the turn, they will carry on as if nothing was seen, and you're left to madly right click cancel and then spend a good portion of valuable TU's recreating your steps to spot that unit.

One can always start moving square by square, but this becomes pretty tedious fast and slows the game down considerably :(

you notice it most in small confined areas with corridors or playing against somone who uses Alot of air units.

Quite true. The turning version happens usually in closer quarters.

My suspiscion with the flying version is it's the same code as when a unit drops from off the top of a building

in terms of movement. If a unit who's falling spots a unit in his descent, obviously he shouldn't have a chance to react. But when you tell your flying unit to descend 4 levels and he spots an enemy on level 2, he'll go right on by.

Easiest way to recreate it is by setting up a unit indoors a step or so back from a window.

Have a flying unit facing the appropriate direction outside the building and have him descend facing in.

this doesnt happen very often at all if you play the standard maps as they tend not to be very high.

But when playing on the new tilesets like Dawn City beta with 9 floors(?), or the Burbs set which has 6 levels on a lot of structures it starts to occur more frequently.

its also a problem when climbing stairs or areas of raised land where a unit might have the opportunity to catch a visual on a target halfway up. Affects stairs far more than raised terrain however.