XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Two X-com: Ufo Defence Problems

Guest Mo

Cheers,

My X-Com: UFO Defence recently crashed on me... completely, and I've been working on reinstalls and patching it up to worl again for a couple of days now. In the end I run into one of these two problems when trying to play (in both cases I'm running Win 98, PII 400, 128gfx card - In both cases the same crashes happen in Windows and dos mode):

1. Running it with all files copied to the harddrive off the 1.2 X-com: UFO Defence cd (patched to 1.4 and unpatched): The program freezes and you become unable to do anything on accepting the first mission. The error message (in big green font) reads: Cannot load (long list of files) from missdat (the directory).

2. Running the 1.2 version (unpatched) off the CD, everything works fine... except for that rather annoying chopper sound during missions. It's loud enough to give me a headache :hammer: and playing without soundeffects is annoying, although it can be quite unnerving as the music in the 1.2 is much, much better than in the other versions. :D

Any help would be much appreciated and I will consider worshipping you :master: if you can solve either or both of my problems.

- Mo

Yupp absolutely sure. You know, select all files, copy, paste... I even did it in dos once to make sure I got it right... copy *.* c:\... ladida.

Yupp, that doesn't seem to be the issue... as for buying the CE ed... that takes money and doesn't fix the problem any time soon. :boohoo:

Mo

I found both... right after I sent out my post... *S* Then again, some of us have ethics... and some of us live across an ocean and seem to have a problem downloading stuff from those links (another thread had the same problem)... and then some of us wouldn't dl anything from anyone who beat their home country in soccer!

Ok, then again, I don't have ethics problems, nor am I a soccer fan... so I guess leaves incompetence... :stupid:

- Mo

That was a pretty explosion :explode:

DLed the frech version... tried to run it straight (suspect this may have been a mistake :hammer: as computer promply froze itself at 320x200) mmm... maybe run it in DOS mode... or does it need to be placed in an existing x-com directory?

- Mo

I think I also have that "chopper" noise he's talking about (I think, though it sounds like a Catfish grunting to me) , and I've got CE, is there any way to fix that or eliminate it other than by turning the sound down? P4 1.7g, Geforce4 64mb, on WinXp. Thanks in advance, if you can help.

Perhaps that's the problem you are having with tftd?

DLed the frech version... tried to run it straight (suspect this may have been a mistake  as computer promply froze itself at 320x200) mmm... maybe run it in DOS mode... or does it need to be placed in an existing x-com directory?

I have downloaded that fr version and it works fine (it doesn't include the fixes tho, try installing those too)

so you don't need to put it in an existing xcom directory.

If it doesn't work with the patches then post your system specs please.

Hold, sussed it. The GMTACTIC file in the "SOUND" directory actually sounds like a chopper taking off (or a catfish having its tummy rubbed, as somebody else said).

I have just:

1) Made a back up copy of that, just in case something goes horribly wrong.

2) Deleted the original GMTACTIC

3) Made a copy of GMSTORY

4) Renamed this "Copy of GMSTORY" to GMTACTIC

Bobs your uncle, we have good tunes without a chopper or catfish in sight.

Well done! What sound does gmstory make then?

InTftD, I was going to try and look at the sounds myself, to see if I could do a similar thing. But then I got Apoc working so I forgot.

You mean actually that 'bug' was just the music?? :blink:

Okay the GMTACTIC tune isn't very good, and repetitive, but still :wacko:

That doesn't apply to tftd tho, Miceless... I still think it's just the water you're hearing.

Edited by j'ordos

What does the file gmisposh.mid sound like to you? Its in the SOUND directory, and all I get is one continuous drone. I think thats the file, but im not sure. Ill have to load up TftD again and listen more carefully.

Nope, sounds good here. Remember, these are midi files. The quality is very dependant on the quality of your sound card.

But that one can't be the cause since it's the music you get before you enter the battlescape (mission briefing)

I found the sound file oon that French dl, and it's definately the GMTACTIC as I've never heard it while actually playing the game. (I played it in Media player to check the sound) The only problem is that in the original version it's stored in the .cat files... and I have no idea how to edit those.

And as you (j'ordos) mention, I should try to run the fixes on the French dl version. They (the fixes) didn't seem entirely to overjoied at trying to join the program... hmmm... they are being, how shall we say... elusive.

In any case my machine specks are simple:

PII 350 (400 which misbehaves), 128 RAM (not much of an issue), ATI Matrox something or other (not very good), A soundcard that is worse than it's supposed to be (64bit SB, but never registers as what it is supposed to be... if I had more money this would be the first to go). And I'm running Win98 SE.

Does that help?

Mo

Edited by Mo-san

I've used an old version of a program called Cooledit to open/manipulate the .cat files and saved them to a modern format. When you open the .cat files, be sure to open them with these properties:

11025khz, Mono, 8-bit, PCM Unsigned.

CoolEdit

This is an unregistered version, so select the Save feature at the very least, and whatever other one you want.

Back in the 'day,' the chopper sound was a driver problem.

I found the sound file oon that French dl, and it's definately the GMTACTIC as I've never heard it while actually playing the game.  (I played it in Media player to check the sound)

GMTACTIC is the sound played during battles. It's the worst music in xcom IMHO, but you can replace it with any midi you want. (I used one from dune2 :beer: )