XCOMUFO & Xenocide

SND - COMPLETED MUSIC - possible intro score

i don´t know for what this could be. only want to hear what u think about that, and wether i should go on with that one.

till now only a small loop i did today.

(file is below, had problems to upload it)

Edited by Der Dude

Sounds great, of course you surely understand that this won't fit the game atmosphere at all but it's a pretty good song and you have the skills to do great music! :happybanana: Okay, now that you have prooven your skills to us, try making some darker, slower and sader song that fits the UFO atmosphere better. I can't wait! :rock:

thought it would be good for movie/intro whatever.

i know that this ones anoying too much when it´s in the back while playing the game.

• 2 weeks later...

RedKnight once mentioned that there might be context-driven music at some point of the development.

So maybe you could come up with a number of loops that illustrate some of the common events in Xenocide like:

terrormission announced

civilians dying

x-corps members being grilled

alien gets grilled

x-corps intercepting an UFO

Just a few things that could be added at those events :)

• 2 weeks later...

hi guys, i just heard this...

..its pretty neat :)

at first i was thinking maybe it could possibly be used in the "credits" for something... maybe the game, or the 2nd part of the ending music if you win? (maybe evan as credits for a groovy rendered movie? :)

then i thought, what happens if it's played back slowly, so i tried 80% in winamp...

then i tried 70% - maybe the first 4-8 bars (before the "happier" smooth strings come into effect), could maybe be used during the "tool-up" part, where we equip troops?

actually, maybe one idea could be for these "event" music clips to actually be different each time? you know, when we go an invade an alien base, we get music x... but the next time we invade another, we get diferent music - sort of to maybe relfect the mood at the time?

hey, maybe even further... if we go to investigate a small sub (i mean ufo...i've been playign TFTD lately you see) :) - the music could be "x".... but then, if we go to investigate a larger one, the music could be even more sinister? :)

just a few thoughts. :)

Seems to me that this is perfect for either saving a base, or maybe the main menu, especially if was a bit longer.

If you could extend it, and put it in a minor key instead of major, then this could have a range of possibilities..... ^_^

It is GREAT though!

makin´ it longer is the smallest problem ;-)

it was only a thought yet. think i go on working on that next week, and make a 2 min loop of that.

but what do u mean of major and minor key? don´t understand that :huh:

Well, its a carry over from when I played the piano, I don't know if it actually applies to the rest of music :wacko: but hey. Minor keys make any piece of music appear sad and atmospheric, while major keys (like you use) make music seem happy. While this is a rather simple view, it is quite accurate. Can you transpose your piece at all? It depends on what software you are using, and I am no expert, so you will have to ask atex for further advice and help :D I am surprised he hasn't seen this thread already! ^_^

okay than i understand it right with that major and minor stuff. i was not quite shure :-D

well, i dunno how to transpose the strings with my software (using cubase sx) but i could change the strings in reason 2.5 by new editing, would be a simple thing i guess.

but actually it was my aim to do a song, loop...whatever, wich makes the feelings of hope or something like that. i tihnk minor keys makes me think of depression and hopelessness.

Transposing in cubase is quite easy. As far as I know it's much easier than when u have to do it in Reason. Anyway, it all depends on what u want to transpose. If it's MIDI, u just try out your midi tools. It's somewhere in there, just take a look :wink:

In order to extend your musical weight of your song, besides changing between major, minor (harmonic, melodic and antique), pentatonic, blues scale, etc etc, u could try to add 7ths to your chords. I don't know if u have a bit of jazz/blues knowledge, but it shure is worth it.

I looked up some sites in case u don't know the theory and u still want to try ^_^

- http://www.petethomas.co.uk/jazz-chords.html

- http://www.jazclass.aust.com/jazzth/jt1.htm

Greets!

-ATeX

actually that are samples in aiff format, i doubt that cubase can transpose audio files ^_^

therefore i had to rearrange them in reason.