XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Terror From The Deep Crashes To Desktop!

Guest epitome

Guest epitome

Hi. I'm sorry if this has already been covered, but I'm having trouble getting forum pages to load so I can't really look through them.

I have XCOM TFTD Gold and the F0dder fixed executable and patch.dll. The game loads ok, I create a base, everything seems fine... but when I try and start an actual mission the game crashes back to the desktop! It also does this even when it says all the aliens were killed in the crash, where presumably it wouldn't even be going to a mission anyway...

I tried this on two laptops and my PC, all with the same result! Very frustrating. Anyone got any ideas? And I apologise in advance if I'm missing something obvious.

Oh, and I have UFO Enemy Unknown Gold too and the F0dder fix for that and that one seems to work perfectly.

I noticed in the FAQ on this site that there was a max patch or something? Not sure what this is exactly, but when I click the link to download it I just get an error page :(

Help me! :)

Guest epitome

Just an update about my situation...

Last night I tried using XcomUtil, just to see if that would help at all. The game crashed down to the desktop as usual (an error with geoscape.exe apparently), but this time when I clicked "Don't Send" (an error report that is) the game came back up and I actually managed to play a mission!

Upon completing the mission, the geoscape came back up and the game was continuing to work perfectly as far as I could tell. But then I tried to begin a second mission... this time it crashed back to desktop and did not go back into the game! :(

I decided to try it again anyway. And this time - for the first time out of several attempts to play the game - I could get into missions without any kind of error at all - somehow the game seemed to be running perfectly. I played through 4 missions like this. I then exited the game and started it again. And now it seems to be back to crashing to the desktop just like it always was.

Anyway, sorry if I'm going on about this too much, but I would like to get this working - and presumably most people have it working fine. I don't know what I'm doing wrong for it not to be working on all 3 computers I've tried it on.

So, any suggestions?

Guest epitome

Well things seem to be fixed now. If I run xcloader.exe (one of the start-up files added by XcomUtil - I have a choice of 5 or 6 files to load the game now!!) the game seems to be much more stable. I managed to play several missions today and could save and load too. It only crashed once in all this time.

Just thought I'd post that up in case it might help anyone else having a similar problem.

So hopefully I can complete this great game now :)

• 1 month later...