XCOMUFO & Xenocide

CTD - Sidewinder Light Missile

As my first contribution to the ctd, I have done something which the ctd assets list said was un-done. The Stingray Missile! This is only my first draft, so please give comments and ways to improve it.

Stingray Missile System: Take 1
The Stingray missile system is an adaptation of the old Maverick air to air missile. Like its predecessor the stingray contains a turbofan engine using a fuel core of hydrogen (liquid or solid has it been decided?) This turbofan is capable of speeds in excess of mach 2. For maneuverability after launch, the Stingray sports 4 extendable fins which can be adjusted during flight by missile’s on board guidance system. The missile’s nose is made of an extremely dense variant of Uranium 235 (?) for extreme penetration of virtually all known materials. The cobalt-lithium warhead is large enough to down even large aircraft such as cargo and passenger jets in a single hit. The warhead can be set on a timed, impact, or proximity fuse for maximum versatility. The missile’s onboard computer system is an 8 GHz system running Minisoft’s Windooze XXP- Military edition. There have been serious complaints raised regarding the reliability of the operation system, as more than one missile has spontaneously exploded in the firing rack. Investigation is ongoing...

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:LOL: about the minisoft part!

Couple of gripes though:
1) The Maverick is an air-to-ground missile
2) Most commonly used uranium is U-236
3) I don't think AA missile warheads actually penetrate their target. IIRC they explode near it and send a directed blast towards the target. Or are there different systems? Could be wrong about that though.
4) does an AA missile need a timed fuse?

Well, thanks for the clarifications.

:LOL: I don't trust microsoft.

1. Oops, what is an ata missile? Pheonix? Hellfire? (no wait) I don't know missiles too well.
2. Right, for the uranium, I just pulled a random 200+ number
3. Well, I assumed that penetration was required, otherwise the alien alloy hull wouldn't be dmaged as much.
4. Its all for versatility.

I will rewrite it (and add some fluff text) when someone gives me an alternative for the maverick missile.

Short range: Sidewinder
Medium Range: AMRAAM (seems most likely candidate)
Long Range: Phoenix (guess that's more appropriate for the Avalanche)

or maybe a soviet equivalent? Edited by j'ordos

I was thinking about making the avalanche based on the AMRAAM but I could always change it. Ok then,

Stingray Missile System: Take 2

The Stingray missile system is an adaptation of the old AMRAAM air to air missile. Like its predecessor the stingray contains a turbofan engine using a fuel core of hydrogen (liquid or solid?) This turbofan is capable of speeds in excess of mach 2. For maneuverability after launch, the Stingray sports 4 extendable fins which can be adjusted during flight by missile’s on board guidance system. The missile’s nose is made of an extremely dense variant of Uranium 236 for extreme penetration of virtually all known materials. The cobalt-lithium warhead is large enough to down even large aircraft such as cargo and passenger jets in a single hit. The warhead can be set on a timed, impact, or proximity fuse for maximum versatility. The missile’s onboard computer system is an 8 GHz system running Minisoft’s Windooze XXP- Military edition. There have been serious complaints raised regarding the reliability of the operation system, as more than one missile has spontaneously exploded in the firing rack. Investigation is ongoing.

"This is going revolutionize air combat, that’s what the engineers said. And boy were they right! I had to shoot down a UFO once before the X-Corps was formed. My F18's missiles and cannon just bounced off that thing's hull. But once I was armed with these babies, I was shooting down UFOs like flies. The Stingray not only pierced their armor, but actually knocked them off course. Once it exploded, course corrections were the least of the bugs' worries." -Flight officer Andrew Macdow

“Some concerns have been raised against the stingray’s onboard computer system, We at Minisoft tm have now released a patch to repair the bug that caused missiles to spontaneously explode. We apologize for this inconvenience...” - Minisoft CEO, Will Bates

Well, maybe the AMRAAM could be used for the Avalanche, but Sidewinders are short range missiles and IIRC the Stingray went to about half of the screen, and a cannon only had a range a few millimetres on that screen. :rolleyes:

Uhh, oops. Just let me change Stingray take 3.

Edit: Here, it is kind of long. Added a whole history :D

Stingray Missile System: Take 3

”The Stingray; an adaptation of the Sidewinder II air to air missile has had a troubled design process. During the Neo Russian revolution, an unscrupulous arms dealer named Carlos Carroll-Teal sold a number of Sidewinder II missiles (and other weapons) to the revolutionaries. After the formation of the N.U.S.R. (New Union of Soviet Republics) the new Soviet government realized that it needed a better missile for its air force. Thus the Stingray ATA missile was born. The early Stingrays were fraught with design problems. The tracking system frequently failed, often resulting in the missile retargeting the aircraft firing it!
This was found to be due to mechanical faults which were quickly fixed. This resulted in the Stingray A, one of the most reliable missiles ever made. When the N.U.S.R. was consumed in the throes of terrorism and poverty, the same Carlos Carroll-Teal managed to acquire a number of the missiles. Upon return to the U.S. Carlos promptly set up a small factory for the production of “cars.” Carlos, wishing to get into the legitimate arms business formed his company: Big Frickin Gun co. This company expanded until it became the prime supplier for almost the entire U.S. military. Recently, Big Frickin Gun co has released, in a controversial partnership with Minisoft the Stingray B. Although at this time it is not known why an air to air missile would need to be able to penetrate 5 feet of steel, we will keep you informed.” – James’ weapons, Volume IV

Like its predecessor the Stingray B contains a turbofan engine using a fuel core of hydrogen (liquid or solid?) This turbofan is capable of speeds in excess of mach 2. For maneuverability after launch, the Stingray sports 4 extendable fins which can be adjusted during flight by missile’s on board guidance system. The missile’s nose is made of an extremely dense variant of Uranium 236 for extreme penetration of virtually all known materials. The cobalt-lithium warhead is large enough to down even large aircraft such as cargo and passenger jets in a single hit. The warhead can be set on a timed, impact, or proximity fuse for maximum versatility. The missile’s onboard computer system is an 8 GHz PC running Minisoft’s Windooze XXP- Military edition. There have been serious complaints raised regarding the reliability of the operation system, as more than one missile has spontaneously exploded in the firing rack. Investigation is ongoing.

"This is going revolutionize air combat, that’s what the engineers said. And boy were they right! I had to shoot down a UFO once before the X-Corps was formed. My F18's missiles and cannon just bounced off that thing's hull. But once I was armed with these babies, I was shooting down UFOs like flies. The Stingray not only pierced their armor, but actually knocked them off course. Once it exploded, course corrections were the least of the bugs' worries." -Flight officer Andrew Macdow

“It has come to our attention that some concerns have been raised against the Stingray’s onboard computer system, We at Minisoft tm have now released a patch to repair the bug that caused missiles to spontaneously explode. We apologize for this minor inconvenience...” - Minisoft CEO, Will Bates Edited by Cpl. Facehugger

Ummm... Sidewinder and AMRAAM are both solid fuel rocket-based. a turbofan is a type of jet engine ^_^
Think of them like a bottle rocket on the 4th of july, but more expensive and guided =D Edited by Cavoe

Yes, but this is the Sidewinder II! :D and now, the missiles have jet engines. If you have another engine idea, id be happy to edit it.
I just used the hydrogen because it seemed as though there was little oil left in the world, based on older ctd entries.
Edit: A bottle rocket? Edited by Cpl. Facehugger

:LOL: , I just like the technical stuffs... Solid fuel is more economic in a missle, gets going fast... Ever shoot off a model rocket? not really sure the composition of the fuel....

hydroxyl-terminated polybutadiene!

[url="http://www.jolly-rogers.com/airpower/aim-120/structure.html"]http://www.jolly-rogers.com/airpower/aim-1.../structure.html[/url]

Have fun! :D Edited by Cavoe

Ohh right I just checked, and it looks like the hydrogen is stored in carbon nanotubes (or something like that) so my next revision will feature solid hydrogen fuel, and possibly a real rocket engine.

Is this a Minisoft service pack, or do I have to contact my nearest manufacturer for an upgrade?

*Runs and hides* :devillaugh:

Assuming you are using a jet engine, despite the fact that it would be impractical to put one in a missile that has to occupy the same space as 40 20x100mm bullets in order to fit 6 of them in the cargo bay, a turbofan engine would probably be unfit and outdated, considering both pratt and whitney and GE are in the final development stages of pulse detonation engines(which incedentily are smaller than jet engines and would fit more easily into a small misile, being only 4 ft. long and a few inches wide).

A PDE is more of a rocket. It is basically a tube that draws in a mixture of air and fuel, then detonates it, and repeats the proccess (like the internal combustion engine). It can allow a plane to reach mach 4 and can expel air at a speed of mach 5. It is also much more fuel efficient than a turbofan. If a new SR-71 blackbird is ever made, this is what it will use.

I didnt read the complete entry before posting the last time, even though I laugh a lot on the Minisoft stuff an that, you should consider post it in the XCom Humor forums. Avoid using things that could be found to be humorous on the XNet, just plain facts or entries that should give indepth knowledge on real work done or situations that enforce the volatile and difficult situation we are going through at earth when those dreaded bugs came.... dark and evil....

Greetings
Red Knight

nah, it would be fun to have a minisoft windooze XXP by Will Bates. Maybe the "big frickin gun co" was a tad too much thogh.

[quote name='Cpl. Facehugger' date='Aug 18 2003, 02:55 PM']and possible get rid of microsoft.[/quote]
Wish I could do that :rolleyes:

But switching to a more serious weapons manufacturing corporation name (hehh...) is good, although if you can think of a better name with BFG in it, 'cause that was nice :D
(maybe it manufactures the craft cannon as well, manufacturing codename: BFG 9000 :D )

I just realized that I should attach a txt file for all those who like to read it that way.

Stingray Missile System: Take 4, Courtesy of Facehugger Industries!

”The Stingray; an adaptation of the Sidewinder II air to air missile has had a troubled design process. During the Neo Russian revolution, an unscrupulous arms dealer named Carlos Carroll-Teal sold a number of Sidewinder II missiles (and other weapons) to the revolutionaries. After the formation of the N.U.S.R. (New Union of Soviet Republics) the new Soviet government realized that it needed a better missile for its air force. Thus the Stingray ATA missile was born. The early Stingrays were fraught with design problems. The tracking system frequently failed, often resulting in the missile retargeting the aircraft firing it!
This was found to be due to mechanical faults which were quickly fixed. This resulted in the Stingray A, one of the most reliable missiles ever made. When the N.U.S.R. was consumed in the throes of terrorism and poverty, the same Carlos Carroll-Teal managed to acquire a number of the missiles. Upon return to the U.S. Carlos promptly set up a small factory for the production of “cars.” Carlos, wishing to get into the legitimate arms business formed his company: Buffalo Fabrication of arms Group co. This company expanded until it became the prime supplier for almost the entire U.S. military. Recently, BFG co has released, in a controversial partnership with Minisoft, the Stingray B. Although at this time it is not known why an air to air missile would need to be able to penetrate 5 feet of steel, we will keep you informed.” – James’ weapons, Volume IV

Unlike its predecessor, the Stingray B contains a pulse detonation engine using a fuel core of hydrogen stored in carbon nanotubes for added stability. This pde is capable of speeds in excess of mach 2. For maneuverability after launch, the Stingray sports 4 extendable fins which can be adjusted during flight by missile’s on board guidance system. The missile’s nose is made of depleted Uranium 236 for extreme penetration of virtually all known materials. The cobalt-lithium warhead is large enough to down even large aircraft such as cargo and passenger jets in a single hit. The warhead can be set on a timed, impact, or proximity fuse for maximum versatility. The missile’s onboard computer system is an 8 GHz PC running Minisoft’s Windooze XXP- Military edition. There have been serious complaints raised regarding the reliability of the operation system, as more than one missile has spontaneously exploded in the firing rack. Investigation is ongoing.

The actual launch system is a pod containing 6 missiles. While it is technically possible to fire all 6 missiles in one salvo, a feature was implemented to prevent the missiles from being fired rapidly. The launcher’s computer system can only guide one missile a time. As a “security feature” the missile is required to receive instructions from the launcher, preventing the missile from guiding its self.

“It has come to our attention that some concerns have been raised against the Stingray’s onboard computer system, We at Minisoft tm have now released a patch to repair the bug that caused missiles to spontaneously explode. We apologize for this inconvenience...” - Minisoft CEO, Will Bates Edited by Cpl. Facehugger

I actually like the entry. That whole minisoft has got me rolling on the floor. :LOL:

Comments...

1) I really like the warhead definitions you used. I can't argue the scientific data since I don't know much about that. I guess it's very passable, unless all our players are gonna be scientists from NASA.

2) Maverick is an ASM. As far as I know, the Phoenix missile is arguably the most advanced AAM today. But for short ranged missiles, I think the Israeli designed Shafrir is decades ahead of even the latest sidewinder. Just a choice that you might want to think about. As for Russian missiles, a better reference might be AA-7 Apex, AA-XP2 (No designated NATO name as far as my military books are concerned). That could give you a little more creative freedom as you will at least not have to be tied down to exsisting missiles.

3) Just an FYI: Turbo fan engines are good for range, but they tend to be bulky and they need for air intakes. This reduces streamlining and air dynamics. That's why these kinds of engines are used mostly in cruise missles. Nice switch to the PDE. Cool sounding. But a missile at mach 2 might be considered slow by todays standards. You might want to up that mach number.

4) You might want to add a little bit of guidance into the entry. We'll have to work together on that since the interceptor entry was made by me and I mentioned that the radar can be worked in conjuction with stingray and avalanche missles. Come to think about it, I put a lot of fancy terms into my interceptor's radar but I have no idea how they're really supposed to work.

5) Finally, come up with a new name already.

Good job.

Uhh, I think you looked at the first revision, not the current one.
The Current one has much of what you asked for. But, I am not able to really do the science stuff either, (I'm just 15) so I just chose spiffy words that sounded good.

I chose mach 2 because the missiles seemed to travel really slowly in the game. (to me anyway)

I suppose I can up it. And I couldn't understand the radar, so I went with the simplest answer.

It can be edited. Edited by Cpl. Facehugger

don't worry, I did read up on the current version. I was suggesting other exsisting missles that you might refer to as the basis of your missle rather than the sidewinder. Since you did mention a new Soviet Republic, and knowing a bit about Russian pride, they are more likely to choose one of they're own missiles for development.

I think I got you confused with the turbo fan engines. It was just an FYI. I like your Pulse Detonation Engine. So much so that I'm considering using it for a redo of my interceptor's engines.

Good job, kid. Doesn't sound like a 15 year old's work to me.

Suggestion for the missile's new name... Pacifier, Death Bringer, Grave Digger, Peacemaker. I like Pacifier.

'Suck on this, alien scum!'

Thank you. The PDE was not my idea though. The main thing is just editing a few things. What I really need help with though, is my avalanche missile ctd. I havn't yet gotten much feedback on it.

• 3 weeks later...
I don't think it is possible to come up with technologies in a year and put them as the last line of defense against the destruction of mankind. I assumed that it was all technology that has been thoroughly tested and is ready to go into service ( bearing in mind that it is set 10 years in the future ) it is mearly an intergration of all available cutting edge technology, rather than what is done in most militaries which is use old equipment and gradually bring in the new stuff over time. Reason being cost effectievness, which for 20 soldiers is a lot less of a problem than 200,000.

In Xcom they were simply the finest specimins of human technology. They don't say where they get them or why... you could interpret it in several ways.

The interceptor has never been combat proven but was developed solely to catch UFO's. It was being developed as an interceptor before the aliens ever came to earth and is combat unproven. It was a newly developed interceptor and is in service in the world's militaries...

and do on for the others.

Using an existing airplane like we are using we are kind of cutting the breadth of interpretation off. My interpretation of what is going on in the plot is that they assembled a hodgepodge of experimental weapons and first class personelle and once they have everything together in one place the game starts, day 1.

I suppose it is all down to the way you view it. Saying that, was that ambiguity a bad thing? Seems we all had our different views on how we thought the technology is given to them, maybe that was one of UFO's strengths. Worth considering I think.

I supose I worded my last post poorly. what I meant was that these technologies were in development, but thanks to billions in government grants in response to the alien threats, they were all rushed to completion (like windows coincidentily), hence the targeting system problems on the stingray :D.

• 9 months later...
All right. :P Since I'm making my rounds, prettying up my CTs, here is the final version of the Stingray/Sidewinder missile system. (Err...It's near final. If you have any last minute changes to propose, then I may be able to find a way to work them in before the entry hits the presses so to speak.)

I like the minisoft references

I would give the weapon a russian name to reflect its origins, and it is so different to a sidewinder the name doesnt fit anyway.
Perhaps side thrust motors to allow it to be more maneuverable (like the dragon), this would give it excellent off boresight capabilities (you dont need to be pointing at the target to hit it, this is already developed technology which is used very well in conjunction with head mounted targeting systems).
8 fins would cause excessive drag, 3 or 4 is a far better number with the same again on the nose for balance.

Actually, there's 12 fins on it :)
4 aft, and 4 smaller ones on the nose with 4 slighly larger ones behind them, as seen on this pic: [img]http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/uploads/post-29-1069878434.jpg[/img]

• 5 weeks later...
I getcha now, i imagined 8 fins at the base, my mistake :D

Would the python 5 not make a better basis for the weapon, the model looks like a python not a sidewinder, and they have much better capabilities than the sidewinder.

That said the sidewinder is more recognisable to the player as a missile, everyones heard of them.

• 5 months later...
SIDEWINDER LIGHT MISSILE
X-Net://Pegasus.net/Armament/Sidewinder

The Sidewinder IIb is currently the best mid range Air-to-Air missile in the world. It has the necessary firepower to devastate most small and medium-sized craft, easily and quickly. Its relatively short range (in comparison to other medium range missiles) is only a minor hindrance; longer ranged missiles should be used in BVR (Beyond Visual Range) environments. The payload of six missiles per bay means that a fully stocked XC-1 can carry twelve missiles, providing the fighter with ammunition enough to last any engagement the aircraft might find itself involved in.

“The Sidewinder II; an adaptation of the Sidewinder AA missile has had a troubled design process. During the Neo Russian revolution, an unscrupulous arms dealer named Carlos Carroll-Teal sold a number of Sidewinder missiles (and other weapons) to the revolutionaries. After the formation of the N.U.S.S.R. (New Union of Socialist Soviet Republics) the New Soviet government realized that it needed a better missile for its air force. Thus the Sidewinder II AAM was born. The early Sidewinder II’s were fraught with design problems. The tracking system frequently failed, often resulting in the missile retargeting the aircraft firing it!
This was found to be due to mechanical faults which were quickly fixed. This resulted in the Sidewinder IIa, one of the most reliable missiles ever made. Later, the N.U.S.S.R. provided the same Carlos Carroll-Teal with a number of the new missiles for a reasonable price, due to his previous assistance during the revolution.
Upon return to the U.S. Carlos promptly set up a small factory for the production of “cars.” Carlos, wishing to get into the legitimate arms business formed his company: the Buffalo Firearm Group. This company expanded until it became the prime supplier for almost the entire U.S. military.
Recently, BFG has released, in a controversial partnership with the Minisoft Corporation, the Sidewinder IIb. Although at this time it is not known why an Air-to-Air missile would need to be able to penetrate 5 feet of steel, we will keep you informed.” – James’ weapons, Volume IV

Unlike its predecessor, the Sidewinder IIb contains a single-burn engine using a fuel core of hydrogen stored in carbon nanotubes for added stability. This engine is capable of speeds in excess of mach 12. For maneuverability after launch, the Sidewinder II sports eight extendable fins which can be adjusted during flight by missile’s on board guidance system.

The missile’s nose is made of depleted Uranium 236 for extreme penetration of virtually all known materials. The cobalt-lithium warhead is large enough to down even large aircraft such as cargo and passenger jets in a single hit. The warhead can be set on a timed, impact, or proximity fuse for maximum versatility.

The missile’s onboard computer system is an 8 GHz CPU running Minisoft’s Windooze XXP- Military edition. There have been serious complaints raised regarding the reliability of the operating system, as more than one missile has spontaneously exploded in the firing rack. Investigation is on going.

The actual launch system is a pod containing 6 missiles. While it is technically possible to fire all 6 missiles in one salvo, a feature was implemented to prevent the missiles from being fired rapidly. The launcher’s computer system can only guide one missile a time. As a “security feature” the missile is required to receive instructions from the launcher, preventing the missile from guiding itself. The pod itself is just barely small enough to fit in the F22’s (Or XC-1’s) weapons bays.

“The Sidewinder II is one of the best missiles I have ever used. This thing shoots down other fighters like flies. Heck I doubt even these ‘UFOs’ I keep hearing about could take one and keep on going.” -Flight officer Andrew Macdow

“It has come to our attention that some concerns have been raised regarding the Sidewinder II’s onboard computer system, We at Minisoft have now released a patch to repair the fuzzy exception bug that caused the missile to spontaneously explode in the fighter’s weapons bays. We apologize for this inconvenience...” - Minisoft CEO, Will Bates

[color="red"]red text[/color] = additions
[color="orange"]orange text[/color] = deletions
[color="blue"][i]blue text[/i][/color] = comments

[quote name='Azrael' date='Jan 24 2005, 02:19 PM']SIDEWINDER LIGHT MISSILE

The Sidewinder IIb is currently the best mid[color="red"]-[/color]range [color="orange"]A[/color][color="red"]a[/color]ir-to-[color="orange"]A[/color][color="red"]a[/color]ir missile in the world. It has the necessary firepower to devastate most small[color="red"]-[/color] and medium-sized craft, easily and quickly. Its relatively short range (in comparison to other medium[color="red"]-[/color]range missiles) is only a minor hindrance; longer ranged missiles should be used in BVR (Beyond Visual Range) environments. The payload of six missiles per bay means that a fully stocked XC-1 can carry twelve missiles, providing the fighter with [color="red"]enough[/color] ammunition [color="orange"]enough[/color] to last any engagement the aircraft might find itself involved in.

[color="orange"]“[/color]The Sidewinder II[color="orange"];[/color][color="red"],[/color] an adaptation of the Sidewinder AA missile[color="red"],[/color] has [color="orange"]had[/color] [color="red"]endured[/color] a troubled design process. During the Neo[color="red"]-[/color]Russian revolution, an unscrupulous arms dealer named Carlos Carroll-Teal sold a number of Sidewinder missiles (and other weapons) to [color="orange"]the[/color] revolutionaries. After the formation of the N.U.S.S.R. (New Union of Socialist Soviet Republics) the New Soviet government realized that it needed a better missile for its air force. Thus the Sidewinder II AAM was born. The early Sidewinder II’s were fraught with design problems. The tracking system frequently failed, often resulting in the missile retargeting the aircraft firing it!

This was found to be due to mechanical faults [color="orange"]which[/color] [color="red"]that[/color] were quickly fixed. This resulted in [color="blue"][i]Consider changing to "The result was" to avoid repetition of the word "this."[/i][/color] the Sidewinder IIa, one of the most reliable missiles ever made. Later, the N.U.S.S.R. provided the same Carlos Carroll-Teal with a number of the new missiles [color="orange"]for[/color] [color="red"]at[/color] a reasonable price, due to [color="blue"][i]Consider using "to reward."[/i][/color] his previous assistance during the revolution.

Upon return to the U.S.[color="red"],[/color] Carlos promptly set up a small factory [color="blue"][i]Consider adding "purportedly."[/i][/color] for the production of “cars.” Carlos, wishing to get into the legitimate arms business[color="red"],[/color] formed his company: the Buffalo Firearm Group. This company expanded until it became the prime supplier for almost the entire U.S. military.  Recently, BFG has released, in a controversial partnership with the Minisoft [color="blue"][i]MS reference 1[/i][/color] Corporation, the Sidewinder IIb.

[color="red"]"[/color]Although at this time it is not known why an Air-to-Air missile would need to be able to penetrate 5 feet of steel, we will keep you informed.” – James’ [color="orange"]w[/color][color="red"]W[/color]eapons, Volume IV

Unlike its predecessor, the Sidewinder IIb contains a single-burn engine using a fuel core of hydrogen stored in carbon nanotubes for added stability. This engine is capable of speeds in excess of [color="orange"]m[/color][color="red"]M[/color]ach 12. For maneuverability after launch, the Sidewinder II sports [color="orange"]eight[/color] [color="red"]twelve[/color] extendable fins which can be adjusted during flight by missile’s on[color="red"]-[/color]board guidance system.

The missile’s nose is made of depleted [color="orange"]U[/color][color="red"]u[/color]ranium[color="red"]-[/color]236 for extreme penetration of virtually all known materials. The cobalt-lithium warhead is large enough to down [color="orange"]even[/color] large aircraft such as cargo and passenger jets in a single hit. The warhead can be set on a timed, impact, or proximity fuse for maximum versatility.

The missile’s onboard computer system is an 8 GHz CPU running Minisoft’s Windooze XXP- Military edition [color="blue"][i]MS reference 2 and 3[/i][/color]. There have been serious complaints raised regarding the reliability of the operating system [color="blue"][i]MS reference 4[/i][/color], as more than one missile has spontaneously exploded in the firing rack. Investigation is on going. [color="blue"][i]Recommend deletion of this paragraph.[/i][/color]

The actual launch system is a pod containing 6 missiles. While it is technically possible to fire all 6 missiles in one salvo, a feature was implemented to prevent the missiles from being fired rapidly. The launcher’s computer system can only guide one missile a time. As a “security feature” [color="blue"][i]MS reference 5[/i][/color] the missile is required to receive instructions from the launcher, preventing the missile from guiding itself.  The pod itself is just [color="orange"]barely[/color] small enough to fit in the [color="orange"]F22’s (Or[/color] XC-1’s[color="orange"])[/color] weapons bays.

“The Sidewinder II is one of the best missiles I have ever used. This thing shoots down other fighters like flies. Heck I doubt even these ‘UFOs’ I keep hearing about could take one and keep on going.”  -Flight officer Andrew Macdow

“It has come to our attention that some concerns have been raised regarding the Sidewinder II’s onboard computer system, We at Minisoft have now released a patch to repair the fuzzy exception bug that caused the missile to spontaneously explode in the fighter’s weapons bays. We apologize for this inconvenience...” - Minisoft CEO, Will Bates [color="blue"][i]MS reference 6 and 7, recommend deletion of this quote.[/i][/color][/quote]

All right. I [i]strongly[/i] feel that most of the Microsoft and Windows references should deleted from the text. I can understand one reference if necessary, but continual overuse makes the whole piece into a parody, making readers focus more on the Windows-ness rather than the Sidewinder IIb.

The same goes for the other references such as BFG and James' (although these might be oblique enough).

I think references to "Carlos" should be replaced by his last name: "Caroll-Teal."

I also feel that the piece spends far too much time on the exploits of Carlos instead of the actual Sidewinder IIb. I feel more time should be spent on the construction, the capabilities, and the service record of the Sidewinder IIB and its predecessor.

-Asty Edited by Astyanax

• 2 weeks later...
SIDEWINDER LIGHT MISSILE

The Sidewinder IIb is currently the best mid-range Air-to-Air missile in the world. It has the necessary firepower to devastate most small and medium-sized craft, easily and quickly. Its relatively short range (in comparison to other medium-range missiles) is only a minor hindrance; longer ranged missiles should be used in BVR (Beyond Visual Range) environments. The payload of six missiles per bay means that a fully stocked XC-1 can carry twelve missiles, providing the fighter with enough ammunition to last any engagement the aircraft might find itself involved in.

“The Sidewinder II; an adaptation of the Sidewinder AA missile, has endured a troubled design process. During the Neo-Russian revolution, an unscrupulous arms dealer named Carlos Carroll-Teal sold a number of Sidewinder missiles (and other weapons) to revolutionaries. After the formation of the N.U.S.S.R. (New Union of Socialist Soviet Republics) the New Soviet government realized that it needed a better missile for its air force. Thus the Sidewinder II AAM was born. The early Sidewinder II’s were fraught with design problems. The tracking system frequently failed, often resulting in the missile retargeting the aircraft firing it!

[color="green"] Why is that they realized that they needed a new missile? Do Sidewinder AA missiles really exist?[/color]

This was found to be due to mechanical faults which were quickly fixed. [color="red"]The result was[/color] the Sidewinder IIa, one of the most reliable missiles ever made. Later, the N.U.S.S.R. provided the same Carlos Carroll-Teal with a number of the new missiles at a reasonable price, to [color="red"]reward[/color] his previous assistance during the revolution.

[color="green"] This two paragraphs were edited by me previously, as I felt that they was leading to political issues. I’m not even sure if I like the revolution to obtain weapons by an “unscrupulous arms dealer”, which is also a latin man, that could be taken as political, I know I can. I personally don’t want the US stereotype of the unscrupulous latin arms/drug dealer to be further reinforced. We’ll see about this later.[/color]

Upon return to the U.S., Carlos promptly set up a small factory for the production of “cars.” Carlos, wishing to get into the legitimate arms business, formed his company: the Buffalo Firearm[color="red"]s[/color] Group. This company expanded until it became the prime supplier for almost the entire U.S. military. [color="blue"]Recently, BFG has released, in a controversial partnership with the Minisoft Corporation, the Sidewinder IIb. [/color]

"Although at this time it is not known why an Air-to-Air missile would need to be able to penetrate [color="red"]1,52 meters[/color] of steel, we will keep you informed.” – James’ Weapons, Volume IV

Unlike its predecessor, the Sidewinder IIb contains a single-burn engine using a fuel core of hydrogen stored in carbon nanotubes for added stability. This engine is capable of speeds in excess of Mach 12. For maneuverability after launch, the Sidewinder II sports twelve extendable fins which can be adjusted during flight by missile’s on-board guidance system.

The missile’s nose is made of depleted uranium-236 for extreme penetration of virtually all known materials. The cobalt-lithium warhead is large enough to down even large aircraft such as cargo and passenger jets in a single hit. The warhead can be set on a timed, impact, or proximity fuse for maximum versatility.
[color="blue"]
The missile’s onboard computer system is an 8 GHz CPU running Minisoft’s Windooze XXP- Military edition. There have been serious complaints raised regarding the reliability of the operating system, as more than one missile has spontaneously exploded in the firing rack. Investigation is on going.
[/color]

The actual launch system is a pod containing 6 missiles. While it is technically possible to fire all 6 missiles in one salvo, a feature was implemented to prevent the missiles from being fired rapidly. The launcher’s computer system can only guide one missile a time. As a “security feature” [color="red"],[/color] the missile is required to receive instructions from the launcher, preventing the missile from guiding itself. The pod itself is just barely small enough to fit in the XC-1’s weapons bays.

[color="green"] It does not explain why that security feature is needed [/color]

“The Sidewinder II is one of the best missiles I have ever used. This thing shoots down other fighters like flies. Heck I doubt even these ‘UFOs’ I keep hearing about could take one and keep on going.” -Flight officer Andrew Macdow

[color="blue"] “It has come to our attention that some concerns have been raised regarding the Sidewinder II’s onboard computer system, We at Minisoft have now released a patch to repair the fuzzy exception bug that caused the missile to spontaneously explode in the fighter’s weapons bays. We apologize for this inconvenience...” - Minisoft CEO, Will Bates [/color]

[color="green"] All blue parts are references to Microsoft that just cannot be, Minisoft is almost ridiculously a joke of Microsoft, we have to delete all references or do something else with them, as Astyanax suggested. This entry may need further information about the missile instead about Carlos, as Astyanax also said.
Sidewinder missile does not mention the hydrogen fuel cell stated in Titan, we have to add that or take it out of the Titan.[/color]

[quote name='j'ordos' date='Feb 2 2005, 08:52 PM']Some other small thing which seems to be overlooked: in the Titan CTD there is a reference to the Sidewinder III, yet it seems the Sidewinder IIb is the most advanced, and hence latest, model?
[right][post="109518"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

*Gasp* You're right! I can't believe I didn't catch that!

Anyway, for the rest of the comments:

"Why is that they realized that they needed a new missile? Do Sidewinder AA missiles really exist?"

Sidewinder AAMs [i]do[/i] exist, and they're used at medium range on average American fighters. The thing is that AFAIK, they're getting on in their years. Personally, I would rather have a different name for the missile, but 'Sidewinder' is the name that was voted upon. So I'm stuck with it.

"This two paragraphs were edited by me previously, as I felt that they was leading to political issues. I’m not even sure if I like the revolution to obtain weapons by an 'unscrupulous arms dealer', which is also a latin man, that could be taken as political, I know I can. I personally don’t want the US stereotype of the unscrupulous latin arms/drug dealer to be further reinforced. We’ll see about this later."

What's wrong with a revolution getting arms from an unscrupulous arms dealer? Those are pretty much the only places that Revolutions [i]can[/i] get weapons if they aren't proxies of a wealthy government. (As the Mujhadeen rebels were in the Soviet-Afganistani war) Anyway. Carlos is my adopted spanish name. If you'd like, I can change it to my normal, American name. Alex. Or any other name would work too. Bob, Fred, Billy-Joe... Carlos was just chosen to sort of work in a little personal easter egg. :)

"It does not explain why that security feature is needed"

Another Microsoft reference, how 'bugs' tend to become 'security features.' You obviously didn't understand it, so I should probably nix it.

"*Snip* Various other Microsoft references"

I don't see why they should all go. I can see them being less obtrusive, but I am kind of fond of them. If you can give me a reason for why they should be axed, I'll delete them. As it stands though, I'll rewrite them to make 'em a bit more subtle.

Meh, I'll have to rewrite this CT anyway. It was my first, and, looking back, not very good.

"Sidewinder missile does not mention the hydrogen fuel cell stated in Titan, we have to add that or take it out of the Titan."

Actually, it is mentioned. But I guess it isn't very clear, so I'll have to rewrite it.

Edit: Az, looks like you got the wrong CT. The current one was on my previous post, not the first post. Many of the grammar and some of the word choice errors are corrected on the new version.

Astynax, thanks for the input. Edited by Cpl. Facehugger

[quote]What's wrong with a revolution getting arms from an unscrupulous arms dealer? Those are pretty much the only places that Revolutions [i]can[/i] get weapons if they aren't proxies of a wealthy government. (As the Mujhadeen rebels were in the Soviet-Afganistani war)[/quote]
If I'm reading this correctly, it's not the "unscrupulous arms dealer", but the "unscrupulous Latin" part that's being referred to. Maybe as a compromise, we reveal less about Carlos' background (a mysterious figure in world government politics was reportedly behind the sales of ## Sidewinder IIb's in the late 19xx's) so as not to introduce a nationality? Also, I'd watch whether Carlos receives more attention than the Sidewinder IIb's. Sort of like (original text):
[color="orange"]Upon return to the U.S., Carlos promptly set up a small factory for the production of “cars.” Carlos, wishing to get into the legitimate arms business, formed his company: the Buffalo Firearms Group. This company expanded until it became the prime supplier for almost the entire U.S. military.[/color]

versus (made up text): [color="purple"]For years after this event, Sidewinder II's were particularly difficult to find on the black market... at least, until the Buffalo Firearms Group emerged out of the woodwork, offering [i]upgraded[/i] Sidewinder missiles to partisans and discontents at relatively low prices. In an effort to forestall large numbers of advanced Sidewinder II's from entering the black market, the United States signed a contract making BFG its largest supplier of guided munitions, including the advanced Sidewinder II's. It was not until sometime later that it became known that Carlos was in fact the sole owner of BFG.[/color]

Now, my snippet might not be believable, but comparing excerpts, the focus of the former is more on Carlos than Sidewinder II, while the latter tries to keep the Sidewinders in the mind of the reader.

[quote]Anyway. Carlos is my adopted spanish name. If you'd like, I can change it to my normal, American name. Alex. Or any other name would work too. Bob, Fred, Billy-Joe... Carlos was just chosen to sort of work in a little personal easter egg. :)[/quote]
I don't have a problem with the name Carlos, but I did think it odd that a military entry would refer to him by his first name... Let's see what Az says.

[quote]"*Snip* Various other Microsoft references"

I don't see why they should all go. I can see them being less obtrusive, but I am kind of fond of them. If you can give me a reason for why they should be axed, I'll delete them. As it stands though, I'll rewrite them to make 'em a bit more subtle.[/quote]
Well, part of this is, I admit, personal bias. As I see it, when you're writing in an [i]established setting[/i], allusions should be obvious enough to be noticed, yet subtle enough so as not to make the reader think more about the reference (the real world, Microsoft, Windows, Bill Gates, BSOD) than what the text is actually about (Xenocide, Sidewinder IIb). It'd be a distraction, and it's a balance of sorts. On the other hand, if you're writing satire or parody, it's the exact opposite. :)

[quote]Meh, I'll have to rewrite this CT anyway. It was my first, and, looking back, not very good.[/quote]
Honestly, it's pretty good for a first attempt! You should've seen my first writings after 8 years of neglect... :blink:

[quote]"Sidewinder missile does not mention the hydrogen fuel cell stated in Titan, we have to add that or take it out of the Titan."[/quote]
I did note that the XC-1 Gryphon entry saying it was the first hydrogen-based aircraft, but it implies that the hydrogen fuel cell technology was "just discovered." If the Sidewinder and Titan have used hydrogen since 19xx, then there might be a little problem with the chronology. However, I think this can be cleared up by saying something like: "the Sidewinder and/or Titan missiles were unveiled to the world shortly before the experimental XC-1 Gryphon design was slated for flight testing."

[quote]Edit: Az, looks like you got the wrong CT. The current one was on my previous post, not the first post. Many of the grammar and some of the word choice errors are corrected on the new version.[/quote]
Aw, cripes, I looked at the wrong one, too. :(

[quote]Astynax, thanks for the input.[/quote]
Not a problem, Cpl., I'm a proofread-aholic. Just let me know if I'm being too pedantic and overexplaining things, ok? :)

-Asty Edited by Astyanax

[quote name='j'ordos' date='Feb 2 2005, 08:52 PM']Some other small thing which seems to be overlooked: in the Titan CTD there is a reference to the Sidewinder III, yet it seems the Sidewinder IIb is the most advanced, and hence latest, model?
[right][post="109518"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Yes, that was corrected

[quote]Edit: Az, looks like you got the wrong CT. The current one was on my previous post, not the first post. Many of the grammar and some of the word choice errors are corrected on the new version.[/quote]
WHAT???, DAMMIT :Rant:

[quote]Anyway. Carlos is my adopted spanish name. If you'd like, I can change it to my normal, American name. Alex. Or any other name would work too. Bob, Fred, Billy-Joe... Carlos was just chosen to sort of work in a little personal easter egg.[/quote] Adopted spanish name?, you mean your name in spanish?, because Alex would be Alejandro in spanish, maybe you already know that.
I just feel that the latin arms/drug dealer is widely used in many many occassions and has turned into a stereotype, which I dislike totally and wouldn't want Xenocide to further reinforce it.

[quote]"*Snip* Various other Microsoft references"

I don't see why they should all go. I can see them being less obtrusive, but I am kind of fond of them. If you can give me a reason for why they should be axed, I'll delete them. As it stands though, I'll rewrite them to make 'em a bit more subtle.

Well, part of this is, I admit, personal bias. As I see it, when you're writing in an established setting, allusions should be obvious enough to be noticed, yet subtle enough so as not to make the reader think more about the reference (the real world, Microsoft, Windows, Bill Gates, BSOD) than what the text is actually about (Xenocide, Sidewinder IIb). It'd be a distraction, and it's a balance of sorts. On the other hand, if you're writing satire or parody, it's the exact opposite.[/quote]

I just feel like they are kinda... ridiculous, no offense :), but is it plausible that in 2012 is there going to be a company so similar to MS?, even with the owner called so similar to Bill Gates?, it sounds kinda odd in an X-net entry.

[quote]"Sidewinder missile does not mention the hydrogen fuel cell stated in Titan, we have to add that or take it out of the Titan."

I did note that the XC-1 Gryphon entry saying it was the first hydrogen-based aircraft, but it implies that the hydrogen fuel cell technology was "just discovered." If the Sidewinder and Titan have used hydrogen since 19xx, then there might be a little problem with the chronology. However, I think this can be cleared up by saying something like: "the Sidewinder and/or Titan missiles were unveiled to the world shortly before the experimental XC-1 Gryphon design was slated for flight testing."[/quote]
Titan entry says Sidewinder has hydrogen fuel cells, Sidewinder does not say that, or it is not very clear.

[quote]It does not explain why that security feature is needed"

Another Microsoft reference, how 'bugs' tend to become 'security features.' You obviously didn't understand it, so I should probably nix it.[/quote] I did understand that.
[quote]Meh, I'll have to rewrite this CT anyway. It was my first, and, looking back, not very good.[/quote]
Should we move it back into Active?