XCOMUFO & Xenocide

CTD - Plasma Defense Array

Danny252

Well, I managed to somehow get myself entangled in this mess :huh:

But at least I found a job! ^_^

Well I had a go at the Missile and Plasma Defences. Basically its just what they do, how they do it and why/how we got them. Enjoy and comment!

I really should be in bed by now.. :unsure:

EDIT: V2 here nowv

Plasma_Missile_defences.rtf

Edited by Danny252

Here, I've modified your concept a bit. I only changed the missile defense part, as I don't really understand the plasma concepts.

Now lets hope that the .rtf uploads properly.

Nope. I guess you guys are stuck with a .doc

Edit: Don't worry about your age here. The quality of the work you put out is much more important than one's age here. For instance, I'm only sixteen! :D

Missile_and_plasma_def_facehugger_revision.doc

Edited by Cpl. Facehugger

14 here. Uh, Facehugger, I'd hardly call what you did a little change. You really should remove the bit about microwave communications.

Also, why is [superconductor magnets, many times larger than the one used in the common versions of the plasma cannon], in brackets?

- X-Corps Commander codenamed “Red Knight”

Excellent easter egg, btw.

Well...err...you are right. It is a big change actually. :D

And I wasn't sure about the microwave communications. So I just left it in.

And I specifically avoided the plasma part of the text because I didn't understand any of the advanced physics being thrown around in the plasma weapon operation thread.

I'm glad you like my easter egg. :)

No worries regarding age, I'm a relatively "old fart" around here. We try to keep our behavior appropriate for all ages. Your text is a good start, although I must ask, did you mean "buddie" for the last word of your text (which says budgie)? I'm asking because my Korean mother-in-law would have a fit if I said "budgie" out loud, it's a Korean slur for certain female anatomy.

Regarding the file formats, it might be best to include the actual text along with the initial rtf attachment, and then as you make updates you can just edit the first post and update the attached file. Other people should make comments or suggestions, but leave it to you to make the actual changes, otherwise we have multiple people working on multiple copies of the text. And then others are commenting on the text, which version is it, etc. We have plenty of time to develop the text here, so I think we should stick to the pattern we've been using already.

Looking good.

I think he mentioned budgie since the animal need to be airbourne.

How about:

"Unmaned gliders are boring... when am I going to get to shoot down something cool?!"

- Private Jones, now stationed in General Stores 1C pending investigation into the "BA incident".

Btw. I never really paid attention to the age of the members, wow, I guess I'm mid-life crisis age here. If you hadn't mentioned it, I wouldn't have guessed Danny

Well, I'm sure I could replace it somehow.

I spent the last half hour of that trying to firgure out all the stuff frm the plasma weapons thread.. I was confused too..

Heh they never guess my age. Well a few mods to the plasma and missile bits.. I don't understand a word of what they tried to say in the plasma weapons thread, and I can almost build a PC! I've added in your changes Facehugger and changed a bit.

oh and 11 here.

Edited by Danny252

Well, I'm sure I could replace it somehow.

I spent the last half hour of that trying to firgure out all the stuff frm the plasma weapons thread.. I was confused too..

I'll re-go thru the plasma weapons CTD. Please give me some feedback in there until its vaguely understandable Danny. If we are alienating 1/2 our players by being too techinical, we have to fix that.

Hehe, just read the version 2, the quote for the plasma defense is cute, should we mention AirFrance, or make it a generic airliner, or remove it altogether for something less 'sensitive'? My concern is the fact that lots of people have lost family members to various terrorists attacks of airliners over the years, I'd hate to have an little entry like that ruin a person's experience with an otherwise fun game. Hope that makes sense. A comparison I can make, my brother stuck a shotgun in his mouth and killed himself years ago, I'd be pretty pissed if a game made light of something similar as some type of joke. Since this text doesn't say the plane was actually shot down, it isn't an instant "remove it" thing. Perhaps adding, "after several reports of airliners reporting strange lights barely missing their planes" would work?

• 10 months later...

PLASMA DEFENSE FACILITY

X-Net://Pegasus.net/Base/Facilities/Plasma Defense

With the problem of UFOs attempting to dock with X-Corps bases becoming an increasing threat, more research has been devoted to the problem. An idea set forward by a young scientist was to adapt Alien plasma weaponry, more specifically, the plasma cannon technology, to make a defensive version of it. Plasma cannons are a recent breakthrough by our scientists, and have been found to be suitable for use in base defense.

The mechanism used in our other plasma weapons has been sized up many times and is now used to power multiple cannons at once. When aimed at the target, the cannons lock in a specific attack pattern to match the target.

One problem encountered by our scientists was the large amounts of plasma-gel and heavy water required, both of which are very hard to obtain. We have managed to secure regular sources of uranium and heavy water, but we must still obtain the Xenium-122 from alien ships if we are to continue using plasma weapons on this scale.

“Hey, shooting the crows is boring. Maybe we could try something a little bigger...”

Jason “Thalo” Jones, currently in General Stores 2F pending investigation into the “Air France” incident after airliners reported several strange lights barely missing their planes.

Edited by Azrael

• 1 year later...
...but we must still obtain the Xenium-122 from alien ships if we are to continue using plasma weapons on this scale.

Whoa, whoa, wait a minute: is that actually part of the design thus far? Plasma defenses require ammo? I was hoping to add a bit to this CT, so I'd like to know the score on that one.

Well, actually for v1, no. For v1 everything will be as in the original.

Edit: Though now that I come to think about it, I'm not entirely sure the base defense didn't need Elirium to fire....

Edited by Mad

Guest Azrael
Well, actually for v1, no. For v1 everything will be as in the original.

Edit: Though now that I come to think about it, I'm not entirely sure the base defense didn't need Elirium to fire....

It didn't, but IIRC it needed some to be built.

Technically, the Plasma Defenses in the original game didn't need Elerium to be built either. But, of course, Elerium is necessary to begin research on the New Fighter Craft which is a prerequsite for this facility in the Plasma tech line. ;)

- Zombie

Edited by Zombie

Don't worry about it yet. Let's get the CT for v1 out first. :wink1:

- Zombie

Don't worry about it yet. Let's get the CT for v1 out first. :wink1:

It's actually no big deal. Check out the Plasma Cannon CT. There we have found a nice explanation for why the bigger models don't need Xenium-115.

• 1 month later...
The mechanism used in our other plasma weapons has basically been sized up many times and is now used to power multiple cannons at once. When aimed at the target, the cannons lock in a specific attack pattern to match the target.

What if the plasma defense works in-tandem with the neutrino-based ufo detection system? Or would it make more sense if you said the plasma defense arrays use built in neutrino detection technology?

The mechanism used in our other plasma weapons has basically been sized up many times and is now used to power multiple cannons at once. The facility uses built-in technology based on UFO detection systems to calculate the position of an incoming enemy craft. The information is then fed to the gun batteries, which suppress the given area with plasma fire.

I used the term "Suppress", because from what I've read on our ufo detection CT, neutrino units are able to detect ufo's, but they don't provide an exact position.

Any thoughts on this?

Edited by Metalfrenchtoast

It is right, neutrinos don't give an accurate triangulation, but this is what the radar dish is for. I would recommend a radar based tracking, like in the NEUDAR CTs. Of course it would be most logical to link the defenses to the NEUDARs, but you can build and fire a defense without a NEUDAR beeing on the base, so you'll have to include the means of detection into the defense array itself.

It is right, neutrinos don't give an accurate triangulation, but this is what the radar dish is for. I would recommend a radar based tracking, like in the NEUDAR CTs. So, you don't have to use spressive fire anymore. Of course it would be most logical to link the defenses to the NEUDARs, but you can build and fire a defense without a NEUDAR beeing on the base, so you'll have to include the means of detection into the defense array itself.

Hey, here's a slightly modified CT I wrote up. As this is the first assignment I've worked on, feedback is very much welcome, so if I seem to be straying from the path too far, feel free to tell me so. Also, I didn't have the time to color-code the parts I modified, so I'm sorry if it's hard to tell which parts have been changed or not.

________________________________________________________________________________

PLASMA DEFENSE FACILITY

With the problem of UFOs attempting to dock with X-Corps bases becoming an increasing threat, more research has been devoted to the problem. An idea set forward by one young scientist was to adapt Alien plasma weaponry, more specifically, the plasma cannon technology, to make a defensive version of it. Plasma cannons are a recent breakthrough by our scientists, and out perform lasers and missiles by far when dealing with landing UFO's.

The mechanism used in our other plasma weapons has been sized up many times and is used to power a battery of specially designed anti-UFO cannons. The facility uses built-in NEUDAR technology to calculate the position of an incoming hostile craft. The information is then fed to the gun batteries, which suppress the given area with high-volume plasma fire.

There are a couple problems our scientists encountered when discussing the costs of keeping the facility up and running, one of which being that the large quantities of Uranium and heavy water we need are very hard to obtain. The second problem is that unless we continue salvaging Xenium-122, the key element involved in creating the plasma gel that the facilities use, in sufficient quantities from downed or landed UFO's, these facilities won't be able to operate.

________________________________________________________________________________

One more thing, did we decide to leave out the part of needing constant supplies of Xenium due to the fact that the facility doesn't actually require Xenium to be constructed or maintained?

I was actually reffering to the NEUDAR's, I just couldn't remember the name.

Yes, I though so. :)

Still, though, does a NEUDAR system still pinpoint a position?

yes, it does. maybe read the NEUDAR CT. short version: NEUDAR consists of two systems: one Neutrino detector array and one active RADAR tracker able to pinpoint the tiny radar fluctuations a UFO produces with the help of the NEDAR array. But still, as the Plasma defense can track and fire without a NEUDAR beeing present at the base, you will need to give the facility some tracking means.

Good job! =b I just have a few anotations.

usual color coding: blue: comments, orange: proposed delitions, red: delitions

PLASMA DEFENSE FACILITY

With the problem of UFOs attempting to dock with X-Corps bases becoming an increasing threat, more research has been devoted to the problem. An idea set forward by one young scientist was to adapt Alien plasma weaponry, more specifically, the plasma cannon technology, to make a defensive version of it. Plasma cannons are a recent breakthrough by our scientists, and out perform lasers and missiles by far when dealing with landing UFO's.

Though this is written nicely, I somehow got a feeling it doesn't fit into the XNet style, but can't pinpoint it right now. For now, you are using a style more suitable for telling a story, and not a scientific report. So, this is how I would phrase the first §; just for you to have a comparison how I would word it, that doesn't mean you have to take it; it is substantially shorter, but I feel, more to the point, leaving out unnecessary "filling" information. "With the recent development of the Plasma cannon it seemend suitable to research possibilities to use this technology for base defense purposes. " Of course this needs more elaboration, but I think you get the point. :)

The mechanism used in our other plasma weapons has been sized up many times and is used to power a battery of specially designed anti-UFO cannons base defense arrays?. The facility uses built-in NEUDAR technology to calculate the position of an incoming hostile craft. The information is then fed to the gun batteries, which suppress the given area with high-volume plasma fire.

There are a couple problems our scientists remember, a scientist is writing this, so maybe better "we" or "R&D", though I don't think this is something those guys would think about... ;) encountered when discussing the costs of keeping the facility up and running, one of which being that the large quantities of Uranium and heavy water we need are very hard to obtain. The second problem is that unless we continue salvaging Xenium-122, the key element involved in creating the plasma gel that the facilities use, in sufficient quantities from downed or landed UFO's, these facilities won't be able to operate.

Maybe the following rephrasing: "Regardless of the big power the plasma defense array has, there are major drawbacks in comparison to the LASER technology. Operational costs are pretty high due to the rare nature of the needed Uranium and the difficult maintenance. Another tactical disadvantage is the huge amount of Xenium needed for operation. A facility would be completely defenseless should it run low on this substance."

Again, far from perfect, but you get the point I think. :)

Okay, but isn't most of a CT filler in all reality? I thought it would be more important for that very reason. You know, try to present a rich gameplay experience. I'd like to leave it as it is, but of course, if it's absolutely too long, I understand.

Edit: Actually, I re-read what I have so far and you're right, the last paragraph is really wordy, and maybe the begining needs a little touching up.

PLASMA DEFENSE FACILITY

Because of the problem of Alien infiltration teams attempting to dock with X-Corps bases becoming an increasing threat, more research has been devoted to the problem. One idea our research team came up with was to adapt Alien plasma technology, the plasma cannon, to make a defensive version of it. Plasma cannons are a recent breakthrough by our scientists, and as we've learned from past encounters, perform far better than lasers or missiles when used as a means of defense against incoming air targets.

The facility uses built-in NEUDAR technology to calculate the position of an incoming hostile craft. The information is then fed to a specially built array of anti-UFO plasma canons, which then suppress the given area with high-volume plasma fire. The effectiveness of these facilities increases with the number that you have within your base.

There are a couple problems our scientists encountered when discussing the costs of keeping the facility up and running, one of which being that the large quantities of Uranium and heavy water we need are very hard to obtain. The second problem is that unless we continue salvaging Xenium-122, the key element involved in creating plasma gel, in sufficient quantities from downed or landed UFO's, these facilities won't be able to operate.

Okay, but isn't most of a CT filler in all reality? I thought it would be more important for that very reason. You know, try to present a rich gameplay experience. I'd like to leave it as it is, but of course, if it's absolutely too long, I understand.

[...]

Nono, not too long! Compared to the other CTs this is very short, maybe too short. What I was trying to say was the following: Don't use "fillers" like when telling a story. But don't make it shorter. How this is possible? You'll have to invent more information! Pack more information about the fecility into the text. This way it gets longer and has no need for fillers. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know, I've been messing with this a lot, and it seems to me the whole bit about needing Xenium to run the facility is crap. Would it be too much for me to change that at all? Maybe some sort of large generator they use that wouldn't normally be deployed in the field? Well I'm gonna mess around with that for a bit and I'll get back with something interesting.

PS - Sorry for lack of progress, I've been working quite a bit and haven't had a lot of time to sit down and think about the task.

PLASMA DEFENSE FACILITY

Because of the problem of Alien infiltration teams attempting to dock with X-Corps bases becoming an increasing threat, more research has been devoted to the problem. One idea our research team came up with was to adapt Alien plasma technology, the plasma cannon, to make a defensive version of it. Plasma cannons are a recent breakthrough by our scientists, and as we've learned from past encounters, perform far better than lasers or missiles when used as a means of defense against incoming air targets.

The facility uses built-in NEUDAR technology to calculate the position of an incoming hostile craft. The information is then fed to a specially built array of anti-UFO plasma canons, which then suppress the given area with high-volume plasma fire. The effectiveness of these facilities increases with the number that you have within your base. Plasma weapons utilize a magnetic containment field which then propels a blast of superheated, high velocity plasma gas towards a given target. When this gas comes in contact with solid matter, the matter vaporizes on contact.

We did encounter two problems when discussing the costs of keeping the facility up and running, one of which being that the large quantities of Uranium and heavy water we need are very hard to obtain. The second problem is supplying enough power to the generators which produce the magnetic containment field involved in firing the devices. Fortunately, at least one of our problems can be solved through the utilization of thermal heat far below the surface of the earth to produce sufficient power levels to keep the magnetic containment field emmitters operational. Also, extensive underground uranium mines have been constructed in undisclosed locations throughout the globe to provide us with a temporary solution for plasma gel production.

I don't know, I've been messing with this a lot, and it seems to me the whole bit about needing Xenium to run the facility is crap. Would it be too much for me to change that at all? Maybe some sort of large generator they use that wouldn't normally be deployed in the field? Well I'm gonna mess around with that for a bit and I'll get back with something interesting.

Nope, sorry, you'll have to work with it using Xenium. It did in EU, so it will be in v1.

Okay, here's what I've got now, I also added some other tid-bits to help it all flow better. Hope you like it! :D

PLASMA DEFENSE FACILITY

Because of the problem of Alien infiltration squads attempting to dock with X-Corps bases becoming an increasing threat, more research has been devoted to the problem. One idea our research team came up with was to adapt Alien plasma technology, the plasma cannon, to make a defensive version of it. Plasma cannons are a recent breakthrough by our scientists, and as we've discovered through extensive testing, perform far better than lasers or missiles when used as a means of defense against incoming air targets.

The facility uses built-in NEUDAR technology to calculate the position of an incoming hostile craft. The information is then fed to a specially built array of anti-UFO plasma canons, which then suppress the given area with high-volume plasma fire. The effectiveness of these facilities increases with the number that we have within our base. Plasma weapons utilize a magnetic containment field which then propels a blast of superheated, high velocity plasma gas towards a given target. When this gas comes in contact with solid matter, the matter vaporizes on contact. Though UFO's are built to remain aloft under even extreme damage conditions, the rate and volume of fire these special canons are capable of putting out is so tremendous, especially with multiple facilities in-base, that most UFO's smaller than a Battleship will either have extreme difficulties landing, or will be completely neutralized before it gets anywhere near that point.

Though major success has been achieved in the test chambers, we encountered two problems when discussing the costs of keeping a real facility up and running, one of which being that the large quantities of Uranium and heavy water we need are very hard to obtain. The second problem is keeping our bases supplied with Xenium in order to power the facilities. Fortunately, through the construction of deep underground Uranium mining facilities throughout the globe, we have at least a temporary solution to our Uranium demand. The second problem may be trickier to solve, though. Projections show us we've been salvaging enough Xenium from downed or landed UFO's to meet our needs, but if this were to suddenly cease, our Plasma Defense Facilities would be deemed inoperative until more Xenium is acquired, or until we develope some means to either make it ourselves or create some sort of alternative powersource capable of creating sufficient power.

• 5 weeks later...

There, additions in blue deletions strikethrough Wheres the Fluff for this text?

PLASMA DEFENSE FACILITY

Because the problem of Alien infiltration squads attempting to dock with X-Corps bases is becoming an increasing threat, more research has been devoted to the problem. One idea our research team came up with was to adapt Alien plasmaweapon technology, the plasma cannon, to make an effective defense platform against incoming threats defensive version of it. Plasma cannons areThe Plasma Cannon is a recent breakthrough by our scientists, and, as we've discovered through extensive testing, perform far better than lasers or missiles when used as a means of defense against incoming air targets.

The facility uses built-in NEUDAR technology to calculate the position of an incoming hostile craft. The information is then fed to a specially built array of anti-UFO plasma canons, which then suppress the given area with high-volume plasma fire. The effectiveness of these facilities increases with the number that we have within our base. Plasma weapons utilize a magnetic containment field which then propels a blast of superheated, high velocity plasma gas towards a given target. When this gas comes in contact with solid matter, the matter vaporizes on contact. Though UFO's are built to remain aloft under even extreme damage conditions, the rate and volume of fire these special canons are capable of putting out is so tremendous, especially with multiple facilities in-base, that most UFO's smaller than a Battleship will either have extreme difficulties landing, or will be completely neutralized before it gets anywhere near that point.

Though major success has been achieved in the test chambers, we encountered two problems when discussing the costs of keeping a real facility up and running, one of which being that the large quantities of Uranium and heavy water we need are very hard to obtain. The second problem is keeping our bases supplied with Xenium in order to power the facilities. Fortunately, through the construction of deep underground Uranium mining facilities throughout the globe, we have at least a temporary solution to our Uranium demand. The second problem may be trickier to solve, though. Projections show us we've been salvaging enough Xenium from downed or landed UFO's to meet our needs, but if this were to suddenly cease, our Plasma Defense Facilities would be deemed inoperative until more Xenium is acquired, or until we develope some means to either make it ourselves or create some sort of alternative powersource capable of creating sufficient power.

Im not too good at this Fluff text thing but:

"The next time those Bastards try to get us they'll have to get through Sgt. Plasma here!"

or

"Its been so noisy since they put those plasma defenses in"

or

"Warning, this is not a toy" - written on the door to the defense

oooo just got a great idea for one for a different text!... "towards enemy" - sticker on the side of a stun launcher

Edited by Ghost5831

Just wondering: in the original X-Com, did plasma defenses require elerium during construction, upkeep, both, or neither? I seem to recall that base facilities only required money, and I don't remember that base facilities ever needed Elerium...

That said, I'm inclined to agree with Metalfrenchtoast's comment about a facility needing Xenium being somewhat odd.

Anyway, on to the text:

PLASMA DEFENSE FACILITY

Because the problem of Alien infiltration squads attempting to dock with X-Corps bases is becoming an increasing threat, more research has been devoted to the problem. One idea our research team came up with was to adapt Alien weapon technology, the plasma cannon, to make an effective defense platform against incoming threats. The Plasma Cannon is a recent breakthrough by our scientists, and, as we've discovered through extensive testing, perform far better than lasers or missiles when used against incoming air targets.

Suggestion for sentence 2: "One research team envisioned adapting Alien plasma cannon technology to develop an improved/effective surface-to-air defense platform." The last sentence can then be omitted because it's fairly redundant.

The facility uses built-in NEUDAR technology to calculate the position of an incoming hostile craft. The information is then processed by? fed to a specially built array of anti-UFO plasma cannons, which then suppresses the given area with high-volume plasma fire. The effectiveness of these facilities increases with the number that we have within our base.

*I split this paragraph. Also, here's an alternative to the last sentence: "Construction of additional Plasma Defense Arrays increases the base's ability to repel or destroy hostile air units.

Plasma weapons utilize a magnetic containment field which then propels a blast of superheated, high-velocity plasma gas towards a given target. When this gas comes in contact with solid matter, the matter vaporizes on contact. Though UFO's are built to remain aloft under even extreme damage conditions, the rate and volume of fire these special cannons are capable of putting out is so tremendous, especially with multiple facilities in-base, that most UFO's smaller than a Battleship will either have extreme difficulties landing, or will be completely neutralized before it gets anywhere near that point.

Tweaked version: "Plasma weapons utilize a magnetic containment field which channels superheated, high velocity plasma towards a given target, instantly vaporizing matter upon contact. Although UFOs often remain aloft even after sustaining extensive damage, nothing short of a veritable battleship should be able to weather the tremendous rate and volume of fire from coordinating Plasma Defense Arrays."

My tweaked version cuts out a lot of text because the uranium use isn't really a shortcoming because there's a solution (and no discernable effect on gameplay, plus other plasma items use uranium, too, so a uranium shortage would affect other pieces of Xenocide tech, something the game isn't equipped to handle) and the part about an alternative to Xenium kind of implies that there might be on one in the game, but it will never materialize (I think the Xenium text emphasizes the mystery of Xenium and implies humans will never be able to synthesize it). Additionally, the other reasons sort of detract from the most critical problem- keeping enough Xenium around. Tweaked version: "Though a success in the test chambers, a major shortcoming was identified concerning the maintenance of Plasma Defense Arrays: its use of precious Xenium. Though projections indicate that our current rate of Xenium salvage from the recovery of Alien UFOs is sufficient for our present needs, should our Xenium stocks become depleted, our Plasma Defense Facilities would be inoperable until more Xenium is acquired."

Unfortunately, many of my suggestions actually shorten this text. Perhaps more can be added about the construction time, or maybe a paragraph extolling the virtues of the Plasma Defense Array over the previous Missile and Laser Defense Facilities? Then again, if a text works, maybe it doesn't need to be expanded?

Edited by Astyanax

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I was trying to imply that Xcorps has a tight hold on uranium deposits throughout the world, and that a shortage would be highly unlikely. One thing's for sure. We definately need to come up with some kind of solution to the "xenium problem". It wouldn't make sense to have something based on a technology that uses xenium (Plasma rifles, pistols, blaster balls, fusion bomb), but then an even larger facility using the same technology doesn't use any xenium at all. It seems that no matter what we come up with, there's still some kind of hole to be filled. Maybe, to prevent certain inaccuracies, we could benefit from failing to mention anything about the powersource, as it doesn't look like we can just change this particular aspect of the game just to fit one facility. Then again, if we can't leave the powersource out, what the heck are we gonna do? Personally I see a serious flaw (In that it has brought us nothing but trouble) from the old X-com, passing through to this project simply because we want to emulate the experience from the original as much as we can. The thing is, though, that flaws should most definately never be reproduced, but improved on or replaced completely. For example, if your math teacher has a heroin addiction, rather than running to the nearest black tar dealer and adopting the addiction yourself, you would most likely report him to the school administration, right?

Edit: By "Xenium problem", I'm refering more to the problems caused by inconsistensies of xenium in the game, rather than the scientific plausability of the stuff.

One more edit: Sorry for my lack of progress, my apartment is in the middle of being tested for radon gas, so I try to stay out as much as can, as the people in charge of the test won't tell me if it's a potential threat or just a precaution, and I don't want lung cancer.

Yet another Edit: Changes will definately be made taking into account Ghost's and Astyanax's suggestions.

First of all, in the original game Elerium was unneeded by any base facilities. That applies to construction and upkeep. All you needed was money to build and keep a structure functional.

Did I miss something here? Why do we want structures to require Xenium, Uranium or even heavy water? Power issues? That's a simple fix: geothermal. Dig a deep hole, dump some water down it and *presto!* instant hot water. Then it's just a matter of converting the heat to energy (some sort of generator).

I'd suggest not even mentioning power requirements for the entire base in this text. It's about the Plasma defense array. Sure the structure requires some power to run, but we can let the reader draw their own conclusions where it comes from. Cut the last paragraph completely is my vote. It just doesn't belong here. Agreed? :agreed:

If we need more text, how about something about the Plasma's abilities: decent accuracy, very reliable, higher damage potentials (or maybe even energy efficient). :wink1:

- Zombie

No worries Metal, if there's anything we have a lot of in the CTD, it's time. Sometimes when I am just clicking links, I notice when some of these CTs were first started... :D

Did I miss something here? Why do we want structures to require Xenium, Uranium or even heavy water? Power issues? That's a simple fix: geothermal. Dig a deep hole, dump some water down it and *presto!* instant hot water. Then it's just a matter of converting the heat to energy (some sort of generator).

I'd suggest not even mentioning power requirements for the entire base in this text. It's about the Plasma defense array. Sure the structure requires some power to run, but we can let the reader draw their own conclusions where it comes from. Cut the last paragraph completely is my vote. It just doesn't belong here. Agreed? :agreed:

- Zombie

I'm not certain what the game's going to be like; facilities may indeed require Xenium... I can't say I like the idea, though. Still, we've got to work with what we have, so I'd leave it up to Mad or PRG to decide about Xenium use in facilities.

I do like the geothermal idea however. :) But that makes me wonder... are all facilities geothermally powered? Where does the energy for the rest of the base come from in the first place? :P

Edited by Astyanax

I'm not certain what the game's going to be like; facilities may indeed require Xenium... I can't say I like the idea, though. Still, we've got to work with what we have, so I'd leave it up to Mad or PRG to decide about Xenium use in facilities.

If we go by what Mad said a few posts above this, well, take a look:

Nope, sorry, you'll have to work with it using Xenium. It did in EU, so it will be in v1.

Mad probably didn't realize that facilities in the original game didn't require Elerium (or alien alloys for that matter) for construction or maintenance. So we basically got off-course for a while. :wink1:

- Zombie

Mad probably didn't realize that facilities in the original game didn't require Elerium (or alien alloys for that matter) for construction or maintenance. So we basically got off-course for a while.
There is only one guideline:

Make it look exactly like EU

Improvements, new innovative ideas etc are for v1+

Woohoo! Xenium use begone! :D

Edited by Astyanax

Mad probably didn't realize that facilities in the original game didn't require Elerium (or alien alloys for that matter) for construction or maintenance. So we basically got off-course for a while.
[quote

Jupp. That would've been the cause. And I would swear on my Grandmother, that they didn't fire if you haven't had enough elirium in storage.... but oh well... seems like I've been mistaken. Must've been the Blaster defense then... with too little drone supply.... Sorry for the confusion