XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Ufo Floorplan

Foozball

Alright everyone, its floorplan time.
This is where we all start a discussion of what we want a UFOs floor plan during a battlescape mission to look like.
In the case of the MEDIUM SCOUT, the floor plans should be based on this image, since its the one that seemed to meet the most approval.
(Of course, if the medium scout design changes, then the floor plan should refect it accordingly).

And here are a couple of designs to get things started.
A few key points:
1) I used a simple grid system when mapping them out. This is obviously quite primitive and we'll probably end up using an end design that's not so crude. The grid does, however, allow the relative size to remain close to that of the original X-Com (ie the Medium Scout was 8 'grid-squares' in diameter)
2) Again, base shape is based on the image above.

And here's a design to get things started.
I used a simple grid system when mapping them out. This is obviously quite primitive and we'll probably end up using an end design that's not so crude. The grid does, however, allow the relative size to remain close to that of the original X-Com (ie the Large Scout was 16 'grid-squares' in diameter)

Just save the above pic and open it in paint, and erase the insides.

Also, many people liked the idea of circular interiors, realise we don't have to make the interior match the exterior's shape. There would be parts which are not accessable except through maintenance hatches and all that. Just to show what I mean: Edited by Breunor

We do, but splitting the discussion into individual threads for each UFO makes it easier to keep track of things. Compare the previous Human Guns thread to what we have now, much easier with it split up. Same thing here, we've got 7-8 UFOs to figure out right?

This way comments about a layout aren't mixed up between craft. We can go back to the original thread and merge posts into the individual threads as well.

The original floorplans can be found at [url="http://www.xcomufo.com/ufo/index.html"]http://www.xcomufo.com/ufo/index.html[/url] for those who'd like references.

sorry i seem to have fallen behind, have we decided that the interiors of UFO's [i]aren't[/i] going to be randomised then?

IIRC for v1 yes, unless there's time to code that in. Once we have it all working, then we can look at additional UFO floorplans to swap out for each mission, but coding logical floorplans to be built on the fly is just another thing to code. That's my take of it, I might be wrong.

As there were two topics for this, I merged them.

Edit: also remember the pic above of the UFO shell is one (very good) concept, we might get more which have different outer shapes. Thus the floorplan should focus on the interior shape, and assume an outer hull that will wrap around. So I would stick to square, round, or slightly rectangular floorplans, unless you're basing it on an existing hull concept. But making it plug-and-play compatible with a variety of hulls will certainly make life easier for us all later on. Edited by Breunor

[quote name='Foozball' date='Feb 12 2004, 01:49 PM']And here's a design to get things started.
I used a simple grid system when mapping them out. This is obviously quite primitive and we'll probably end up using an end design that's not so crude. The grid does, however, allow the relative size to remain close to that of the original X-Com (ie the Large Scout was 16 'grid-squares' in diameter)[/quote]
this looks interesting for a second floor supply ship. the third floor could contain even more supplys.

the only problem i have with that is that it doesn't make sense to have the only entrance to the engine through the cafateria, maybe it should have two doors from each of the nav stations?

I agree with that idea, doors from nav room-engine room-nav room only. And in case people wonder why 2 navs, it's just placeholder stuff. We can have 1 be the nav center and another look like observation/science station. Even a nod to the original Star Trek, and put that goggle viewer in there that Spock always looked through! :D

[quote name='MagicAndy' date='Feb 13 2004, 09:06 PM']the only problem i have with that is that it doesn't make sense to have the only entrance to the engine through the cafateria, maybe it should have two doors from each of the nav stations?[/quote]
:LOL:
You know, I never even considered that that's what it was like.
Anyway, here's the 'fixed' drawing.

Yeah thats much better Foozball, it makes more sense and provides more tactical play. Perhaps take out one of the doors from the nav to the food area for more tactical challange?

[quote]Even a nod to the original Star Trek[/quote]

Heh, like an alien 10-Forward, with little cocktail bar, an a big viewing window :D