XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Issue #219: Silabrate Autopsy

kafros

Just one quick thing: Please, my mentioning of Alien Composites was not accidental. Please use Alien Composites in the Operationg table. Otherwise there would be no obvious reason why AC are a prequisite for Silibrate autopsy.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Azrael
Honestly, I think the tech tree made more sense the way I had changed it originally: Making Alien Composites a *bonus* research after researching a live or dead silabrate (you got it along with the creature's report), thought it was a nice bonus too.

Honestly, I think the tech tree made more sense the way I had changed it originally: Making Alien Composites a *bonus* research after researching a live or dead silabrate (you got it along with the creature's report), thought it was a nice bonus too.

Sorry, for one, this change wasn't documented, and thus not in the research.xml, and thus I didn't know about it, secondly, I have discussed this with Red Knight, and I think it would be pretty impossible to know how to work with AC just from Silibrate research. Plus, how will you handle something that is durable as AC and melts anything on earth? ;)

We need AC to be researched before the Silabrate so as to use them as the basic substance in the skin and to explain the method of the AC's creation.

If I am going to use AC in order to make the operating table, then I guess I'll have to change the temperatures a bit... But then, Silabrates will be a tough enemy in the game, because in close contant they will BUUUURN....

We need AC to be researched before the Silabrate so as to use them as the basic substance in the skin and to explain the method of the AC's creation.

If I am going to use AC in order to make the operating table, then I guess I'll have to change the temperatures a bit... But then, Silabrates will be a tough enemy in the game, because in close contant they will BUUUURN....

The AC hull keeps most of the heat away. It only gets really hot if you peel off the AC. :)

Guest Azrael

Sorry, for one, this change wasn't documented, and thus not in the research.xml, and thus I didn't know about it, secondly, I have discussed this with Red Knight, and I think it would be pretty impossible to know how to work with AC just from Silibrate research. Plus, how will you handle something that is durable as AC and melts anything on earth? ;)

I did post about it, but dunno where the post is, so nevermind. And I don't see how it'd be impossible, seems pretty logical to me; you get a live Silabrate, you get Alien Composites sample, you research them, simple, and the Silabrate is not indestructible, AFAIK, so getting a sample should not be beyond human capacity.

edit: this is more of a personal preference, it doesn't really matter, but I had always wanted to give the player more bonuses for catching live Aliens, since it was a rather hard job and there weren't any bonuses in X-Com (beyond psi when catching Ethereals / Sectoid leaders).

But please, ignore my post.

Edited by Azrael

I did post about it, but dunno where the post is, so nevermind. And I don't see how it'd be impossible, seems pretty logical to me; you get a live Silabrate, you get Alien Composites sample, you research them, simple, and the Silabrate is not indestructible, AFAIK, so getting a sample should not be beyond human capacity.

edit: this is more of a personal preference, it doesn't really matter, but I had always wanted to give the player more bonuses for catching live Aliens, since it was a rather hard job and there weren't any bonuses in X-Com (beyond psi when catching Ethereals / Sectoid leaders).

But please, ignore my post.

No, I will not ignore your post! :) I see what you intended, the problem I see with this, is that we would have a) to increase research time on the silabrate or B) would have to make AC an available research topic with reduced research time as soon as you finished the Silabrate Autopsy. Why? Because AC research allone takes a lot of time. They can't do that as a side job while doing an autopsy.

At least that's my opinion of this. And I'm sorry that I must've missed your post. That would've spared me a lot of work...

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, you need to know about Composites in order to understand the very nature of the Silabrate. It's a AC factory! What would we say? "Our scientists managed to extract an unknown/exotic substance..."? Nope...

I see your point concerning the table, and I agree :)

Done some minor error corrections:

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

SILABRATE AUTOPSY

X-Net://Pegasus.net/Alien/Species/Silabrate Autopsy

When X-Corps soldiers first encountered this species, they reported that it appeared to comprise of molten lava, slithering across the battlefield, leaving a scorched trail in its wake. It was also noted that when a Silabrate seizes its biological functions, it loses its lava-like form as if it had dried out, much like a hardened lava flow. After some detailed analysis, we now understand what makes the Silabrate have its molten appearance. It seems that the creature slowly produces high-temperature Alien Composites, which are physiologically integrated into its body as the outer layer of the skin or, in the presence of abundant raw materials, excreted. Although rather simple in appearance, the Silabrate body apparently operates in a remarkable way.

Conducting autopsy research on a dead Silabrate specimen was a delicate operation that was carefully planned and executed. The use of Computer Aided Surgery (CAS) was inevitable. Preliminary study of the carcass proposed a skin temperature of approximately 800 Kelvin at the time of death, which suggested an enormously exothermic interior of the body. Moreover, its temperature before the start of the operation was still quite high for the durability of a typical operating table. Thus, a special thermal-shielded operating table was manufactured using Alien Alloys and then installed in the examination room. The CAS console was set up at the corner of the operating theater, with a durable anti-thermal glass wall separating it from the autopsy table.

Our research team soon discovered that the toughness of the skin of the Silabrate greatly exceeds the capabilities of common surgical tools, such as scalpels. Industrial lasers, normally used in our workshops, were an effective alternative. With the removal of what we estimated to be the equivalent of the epidermis, thermal sensors recorded a sharp increase in temperature, which stabilized at around 450 Kelvin despite the fact that the Alien had been dead for a long time.

Skin samples were extracted for analysis. The creature’s biology is based on silicon, providing enough toughness to break most matter into small pieces that the Silabrate can eat via its stoma. We now have proof that Alien Composites are produced internally and then slowly migrate to the visible outer layer of the skin. The Silabrate metabolism can easily assimilate a grand variety of organic substances and materials. Apparently, these metabolic reactions take place in one of the two Silabrate organs, which works like a reaction chamber, lined with highly durable tissue. The contents of this huge vacuole turned out to be a heterogeneous mixture of collected materials, including plant and animal parts as well as a variety of rocks and even metals. The molten appearance of the Silabrate is the inner core of the creature undergoing the transformation processes, allowing it to break down assimilated matter into its base components, then recombining them into Alien Composites.

The inner layer of the skin itself functions as a sensory, neural and muscular system at the same time. These multipurpose cells possess the necessary contractility to produce locomotion. Moreover, they have the ability to sense other alien species in proximity to them. Should the fellow Aliens perish, the Silabrate will go on a feeding frenzy, attempting to consume any matter viable for transformation into Alien Composites.

A significant quantity of an unusual compound was detected within the hot body fluids. It is suspected that this compound is the key factor in the production of the catalyst needed to efficiently create Alien Composites at relatively low temperatures.

The second gland-like structure is the rough equivalent of a heart, which takes up approximately 40% of the total body mass. Apart from circulating the Silabrate's body fluids, it also synthesizes the energy-rich compounds needed to sustain the Silabrate. The energy is stored as molecules with high-energy bonds and then used by the cells whenever needed. In addition, it produces the extraordinary thermal output the Silabrate needs for the production of Alien Composites.

We do not know if Silabrates are the main production agents of Alien Composites or just an alternative production factor. We have concluded that the Aliens may have genetically engineered the Silabrate in order to convert various materials into Alien Composites ready for use. The idea of using Silabrates to our own advantage was tempting, but proved impossible to effectuate. Live Silabrates are just too dangerous to be used for production. We have tried to insert substances into dead Silabrates, but we did not succeed in stimulating the synthesis procedure. In order to produce Alien Composites, we must utilize our own chemistry methods.

"Chestnuts roasting on a Sila-bra-ate..."

- X-Corps Christmas song

• 2 weeks later...

Very good! just a few things. Usual color coding.

SILABRATE AUTOPSY

When X-Corps soldiers first encountered this species, they reported that it appeared to comprise of molten lava, slithering across the battlefield, leaving a scorched trail in its wake. It was also noted that when a Silabrate seizes its biological functions, it loses its lava-like form as if it had dried out, much like a hardened lava flow. After some detailed analysis, we now understand what makes the Silabrate have its molten appearance. It seems that the creature slowly produces high-temperature Alien Composites, which are physiologically integrated into its body as the outer layer of the skin or, in the presence of abundant raw materials, excreted. Although rather simple in appearance, the Silabrate body apparently operates in a remarkable way.

Conducting autopsy research on a dead Silabrate specimen was a delicate operation that was carefully planned and executed. The use of Computer Aided Surgery (CAS) was inevitable. Preliminary study of the carcass proposed a skin temperature of approximately 800 Kelvin at the time of death, which suggested an enormously exothermic interior of the body. Moreover, its temperature before the start of the operation was still quite high for the durability of a typical operating table. Thus, a special thermal-shielded operating table was manufactured using Alien Alloys Composites and then installed in the examination room. of course, where else? :) The CAS console was set up at the corner of the operating theater, with a durable anti-thermal glass wall separating it from the autopsy table.

Our research team soon discovered that the toughness of the skin of the Silabrate greatly exceeds the capabilities of common surgical tools, such as scalpels. Industrial lasers, normally used in our workshops, were an effective alternative. With the removal of what we estimated to be the equivalent of the epidermis, thermal sensors recorded a sharp increase in temperature, which stabilized at around 450 Kelvin despite the fact that the Alien had been dead for a long time.

Skin samples were extracted for analysis. The creature’s biology is based on silicon, providing enough toughness to break most matter into small pieces that the Silabrate can eat via its stoma. We now have proof that Alien Composites are produced internally and then slowly migrate to the visible outer layer of the skin. The Silabrate metabolism can easily assimilate a grand variety of organic substances and materials. Apparently, these (you speak of metabolism, but not of metabilic reactions in advance, thus "these" reads odd.) metabolic reactions take place in one of the two Silabrate organs, which works like a reaction chamber, lined with highly durable tissue. The contents of this huge vacuole turned out to be a heterogeneous mixture of collected materials, including plant and animal parts as well as a variety of rocks and even metals. The molten appearance of the Silabrate is the inner core can't help myself, this reads a bit "bumpy". Maybe try a rephrasing?,Something like: The transformation process allowing a breakdown of assimilated matter into it's base components and their recombination into Alien Composites, takes place in the inner core of the Silabrate. Excretion of hot Aien Composites to the exterior gives the creature it's molten appearance. of the creature undergoing the transformation processes, allowing it to break down assimilated matter into its base components, then recombining them into Alien Composites.

The inner layer of the skin itself functions as a sensory, neural and muscular system at the same time. These multipurpose cells possess the necessary contractility to produce locomotion. Moreover, they have the ability to sense other alien species in proximity to them. Should the fellow Aliens perish, the Silabrate will go on a feeding frenzy, attempting to consume any matter viable for transformation into Alien Composites.

A significant quantity of an unusual compound was detected within the hot body fluids. It is suspected that this compound is the key factor in the production of the catalyst needed to efficiently create Alien Composites at relatively low temperatures.

The second gland-like structure is the rough equivalent of a heart, which takes up approximately 40% of the total body mass. Apart from circulating the Silabrate's body fluids, it also synthesizes the energy-rich compounds needed to sustain the Silabrate. The energy is stored as molecules with high-energy bonds and then used by the cells whenever needed. In addition, it produces the extraordinary thermal output the Silabrate needs for the production of Alien Composites.

We do not know if Silabrates are the main production agents of Alien Composites or just an alternative production factor. We have concluded that the Aliens may have genetically engineered the Silabrate in order to convert various materials into Alien Composites ready for use. The idea of using Silabrates to our own advantage was tempting, but proved impossible to effectuate. Live Silabrates are just too dangerous to be used for production. We have tried to insert substances into dead Silabrates, but we did not succeed in stimulating the synthesis procedure. In order to produce Alien Composites, we must utilize our own chemistry methods.

- X-Corps Christmas song

• 4 weeks later...

SILABRATE AUTOPSY

Conducting autopsy research on a dead Silabrate specimen was a delicate operation that was carefully planned and executed. The use of Computer Aided Surgery (CAS) was inevitable. Preliminary study of the carcass proposed a skin temperature of approximately 800 Kelvin at the time of death, which suggested an enormously exothermic interior of the body. Moreover, its temperature before the start of the operation was still quite high for the durability of a typical operating table, forcing us to manufacture a special thermal-shielded operating table made of Alien Composites. The CAS console was set up at the corner of the operating theater, with a durable anti-thermal glass wall separating it from the autopsy table.

Skin samples were extracted for analysis. The creature’s biology is based on silicon, providing enough toughness to break most matter into small pieces that the Silabrate can eat via its stoma. We now have proof that Alien Composites are produced internally and then slowly migrate to the visible outer layer of the skin. The Silabrate metabolism can easily assimilate a grand variety of organic substances and materials. Apparently, the metabolic reactions take place in one of the two Silabrate organs, which works like a reaction chamber, lined with highly durable tissue. The contents of this huge vacuole turned out to be a heterogeneous mixture of collected materials, including plant and animal parts as well as a variety of rocks and even metals. The transformation process, allowing a breakdown of assimilated matter into it's base components and their recombination into Alien Composites, takes place in the inner core of the Silabrate. Excretion of hot composites to the exterior of the body gives the creature its molten appearance.

The inner layer of the skin itself functions as a sensory, neural and muscular system at the same time. These multipurpose cells possess the necessary contractility to produce locomotion. Moreover, they have the ability to sense other alien species in. Should the fellow Aliens perish, the Silabrate will go on a feeding frenzy, attempting to consume any matter viable for transformation into Alien Composites. A significant quantity of an unusual compound was detected within the hot body fluids. It is suspected that this compound is the key factor in the production of the catalyst needed to efficiently create Alien Composites at relatively low temperatures.

- X-Corps Christmas song

• 1 month later...

I would say it's completed. Though there are some minor things, but those can be fixed in proofreading. Or here. just as you like. 1st, there is a frequent usage of "durable", second the words "lava flow", "molten lava" in the first paragraph are quite close together, asking for a different expression, since it reads like a repeated use. Maybe you could find a way to remove the "hardened lava flow"?

3rd you could, but not necessarily have to increase the temperatures, since a operating table made out of earth substances could easily sustain the peak temperature of 450K. You could find another explanaition though. Maybe they were afraid that temperature could rise to much higher values and thus built an AC operation table precautiosly?

The inner layer of the skin itself functions as a sensory, neural and muscular system at the same time. These multipurpose cells possess the necessary contractility to produce locomotion. Moreover, they have the ability to sense other alien species in.

In where? What? Who? Seems like a leftover from a previous draft.

Other than that: =b

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

SILABRATE AUTOPSY

When X-Corps soldiers first encountered this species, they reported that it appeared to comprise of molten lava, slithering across the battlefield, leaving a scorched trail in its wake. It was also noted that when a Silabrate seizes its biological functions, it loses its lava-like texture and transforms into a cleavaged salt-crystal formation. After some detailed analysis, we now understand what makes the Silabrate have its lucent, molten appearance. The creature slowly produces high-temperature Alien Composites, which are physiologically integrated into its body as the outer layer of the skin or, in the presence of abundant raw materials, excreted. Although rather simple in appearance, the Silabrate body apparently operates in a remarkable way.

Conducting autopsy research on a dead Silabrate specimen was a delicate operation that was carefully planned and executed. The use of Computer Aided Surgery (CAS) was inevitable. Preliminary study of the carcass proposed a skin temperature at the order of 2000 Kelvin at the time of death, which suggested an enormously exothermic interior of the body. Moreover, its temperature before the start of the operation was still quite high for the durability of a typical operating table, forcing us to manufacture a special thermal-shielded operating table made of Alien Composites, ensuring OR integrity in case of unpredictable exothermic flares. The CAS console was set up at the corner of the operating theater, with a durable anti-thermal glass wall separating it from the autopsy table.

Skin samples were extracted for analysis. The creature’s biology is based on silicon, providing enough toughness to break most matter into small pieces that the Silabrate can eat via its stoma. We now have proof that Alien Composites are produced internally and then slowly migrate to the visible outer layer of the skin. The Silabrate metabolism can easily assimilate a grand variety of organic substances and materials. Apparently, the metabolic reactions take place in one of the two Silabrate organs, which works like a reaction chamber, lined with tissue cabable of withstanding physical punishment grades higher than the one afflicted due to the formentioned processes. The contents of this huge vacuole turned out to be a heterogeneous mixture of collected materials, including plant and animal parts as well as a variety of rocks and even metals. The transformation process, allowing a breakdown of assimilated matter into it's base components and their recombination into Alien Composites, takes place in the inner core of the Silabrate. Excretion of hot composites to the exterior of the body gives the creature its molten appearance.

The inner layer of the skin itself functions as a sensory, neural and muscular system at the same time. These multipurpose cells possess the necessary contractility to produce locomotion. Moreover, they have the ability to sense other alien species in close proximity around the creature. Should the fellow Aliens perish, the Silabrate will go on a feeding frenzy, attempting to consume any matter viable for transformation into Alien Composites. A significant quantity of an unusual compound was detected within the hot body fluids. It is suspected that this compound is the key factor in the production of the catalyst needed to efficiently create Alien Composites at relatively low temperatures.

- X-Corps Christmas song

Edited by kafros

'Colloid' sounds repetitive in para 1.

looks for word in dictionary.com...

edit:In addition, are you sure that's the right word?

col‧loid  /ˈkɒlɔɪd/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[kol-oid] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–noun

1. Physical Chemistry. a substance made up of a system of particles with linear dimensions in the range of about 10−7 to 5 × 10−5 cm dispersed in a continuous gaseous, liquid, or solid medium whose properties depend on the large specific surface area. The particles can be large molecules like proteins, or solid, liquid, or gaseous aggregates and they remain dispersed indefinitely. Compare aerosol, emulsion, gel, sol4, suspension.

2. Medicine/Medical. a colloidal substance in the body, as a stored secretion or a cyst.

–adjective

3. Physical Chemistry. colloidal.

Edited by Azrael

'Colloid' sounds repetitive in para 1.

looks for word in dictionary.com...

edit:In addition, are you sure that's the right word?

col‧loid  /ˈkɒlɔɪd/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[kol-oid] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–noun

1. Physical Chemistry. a substance made up of a system of particles with linear dimensions in the range of about 10−7 to 5 × 10−5 cm dispersed in a continuous gaseous, liquid, or solid medium whose properties depend on the large specific surface area. The particles can be large molecules like proteins, or solid, liquid, or gaseous aggregates and they remain dispersed indefinitely. Compare aerosol, emulsion, gel, sol4, suspension.

2. Medicine/Medical. a colloidal substance in the body, as a stored secretion or a cyst.

–adjective

3. Physical Chemistry. colloidal.

Well, I have the greek word "Κολλοειδής" in mind. Now that I think about it again, it definitely isn't what I had in mind :\

The Silabrate is a stone-jelly-something-like creature, I can't find a better word to describe it's a appearance... Got something else in mind?

Well, just "molten", it's the best for our case... Silabrate is more like lava, molten metal or something... ;)

Edited the draft above

Edited by kafros

Very good text. some anotaions

SILABRATE AUTOPSY

When X-Corps soldiers first encountered this species, they reported that it appeared to comprise of molten lava, slithering across the battlefield, leaving a scorched trail in its wake. It was also noted that when a Silabrate seizes its biological functions, it loses its lava-like texture and transforms into a cleavaged salt-crystal formation. After some detailed analysis, we now understand what makes the Silabrate have its lucent, molten repetetive appearance. The creature slowly produces high-temperature Alien Composites, which are physiologically integrated into its body as the outer layer of the skin, or, in the presence of abundant raw materials, excreted. Although rather simple in appearance, the Silabrate body operates in a remarkable way.

Conducting autopsy research on a dead Silabrate specimen was a delicate operation that was had to be? carefully planned and executed. The use of Computer Aided Assisted Surgery (CAS) was inevitable. Preliminary study of the carcass proposed a skin temperature at the order of around 2000 Kelvin at the time of death, which suggested suggesting? an enormously exothermic interior of the body. Moreover, its skin temperature right before the start of the operation, its skin temperature was still quite high for the durability of a typical operating table, forcing us to manufacture a specialy thermal-shielded operating table made of Alien Composites, ensuring OR integrity in case of unpredictable exothermic flares. The CAS console was set up at the corner of the operating theater, with a durable anti-thermal glass wall separating it from the autopsy table.

Our research team soon discovered that the toughness of the Silabrate's skin skin of the Silabrate greatly exceeds the capabilities of common surgical tools, such as scalpels. Industrial lasers, normally used in our workshops, were an effective alternative. With the removal of what we estimated to be the equivalent of the epidermis, thermal sensors recorded a sharp increase in temperature, which stabilized at around 450 Kelvin despite the fact that the Alien had been dead for a long time.

Skin samples were extracted for analysis. The creature's biology is based on silicon, providing enough toughness to break most matter into small pieces that the Silabrate can eat via its stoma. We now have proof that Alien Composites are produced internally and then slowly migrate to the visible outer layer of the skin. The Silabrate metabolism can easily assimilate a grand variety of organic substances and materials. Apparently, the metabolic reactions take place in one of the two Silabrate organs, which works like a reaction chamber, lined with tissue cabable of withstanding physical punishment gradesthat sounds very awkward! let me propose: "withstanding physical stress higher..." higher than the one afflicted due to the formentioned processes. The contents of this huge vacuole turned out to be a heterogeneous mixture of collected materials, including plant and animal parts as well as a variety of rocks and even metals. The transformation process, allowing a breakdown of assimilated matter into it's base components and their recombination into Alien Composites, takes place in the inner core of the Silabrate. Excretion of hot composites to the exterior of the body gives the creature its molten appearance.

The inner layer of the skin itself functions as a sensory, neural and muscular system at the same time. These multipurpose cells possess the necessary contractility to produce locomotion. Moreover, they have the ability to sense other alien species in close proximity around the creature. Should the fellow Aliens perish, the Silabrate will go on a feeding frenzy, attempting to consume any matter viable for transformation into Alien Composites. A significant quantity of an unusual compound was detected within the hot body fluids. It is suspected that this compound is the key factor in the production of the catalyst needed to efficiently create Alien Composites at relatively low temperatures.

The second gland-like How can a gland-like structure function as a heart? structure is the rough equivalent of a heart, which takes up approximately 40% of the total body mass. Apart from circulating the Silabrate's body fluids, it also synthesizes the energy-rich compounds needed to sustain the Silabrate. The energy is stored as molecules with high-energy bonds and then used by the cells whenever needed. In addition, it produces the extraordinary thermal output the Silabrate needs for the production of Alien Composites.

- X-Corps Christmas song

Edited by Mad

• 2 weeks later...
SILABRATE AUTOPSY

When X-Corps soldiers first encountered this species, they reported that it appeared to comprise of congealed lava, slithering across the battlefield, leaving a scorched trail in its wake. It was also noted that when a Silabrate seizes its biological functions, it loses its lava-like texture and transforms into a cleavaged salt-crystal formation. After some detailed analysis, we now understand what makes the Silabrate have its lucent, molten appearance. The creature slowly produces high-temperature Alien Composites which are physiologically integrated into its body as the outer layer of the skin or, in the presence of abundant raw materials, excreted. Although rather simple in appearance, the Silabrate body operates in a remarkable way.

Conducting autopsy on a dead Silabrate specimen was a delicate operation which had to be carefully planned and executed. The use of Computer Assisted Surgery (CAS) was inevitable. Preliminary study of the carcass proposed a skin temperature at around 3000 Kelvin at the time of death, suggesting an enormously exothermic interior of the body. Moreover, right before the start of the operation, its skin temperature was still quite high for the durability of typical OR equipment, forcing us to manufacture a specially thermal-shielded operating table made of Alien Composites, ensuring OR integrity in case of unpredictable exothermic flares. The CAS console was set up at the corner of the operating theater, with a durable anti-thermal glass wall separating it from the autopsy table.

Our research team soon discovered that the toughness of the Silabrate's skin greatly exceeds the capabilities of common surgical tools, such as scalpels. Industrial lasers, normally used in our workshops, were an effective alternative. With the removal of what we estimated to be the equivalent of the epidermis, thermal sensors recorded a sharp increase in temperature, which stabilized at around 450 Kelvin despite the fact that the Alien had been dead for a long time.

Skin samples were extracted for analysis. The creature's biology is based on silicon, providing enough toughness to break most matter into small pieces that the Silabrate can eat via its stoma. We now have proof that Alien Composites are produced internally and then slowly migrate to the visible outer layer of the skin. The Silabrate metabolism can easily assimilate a grand variety of organic substances and materials. Apparently, the metabolic reactions take place in one of the two Silabrate organs, which works like a reaction chamber, lined with tissue capable of withstanding physical stress higher than the one afflicted due to the formentioned processes. The contents of this huge vacuole turned out to be a heterogeneous mixture of collected materials, including plant and animal parts as well as a variety of rocks and even metals. The transformation process, allowing a breakdown of assimilated matter into it's base components and their recombination into Alien Composites, takes place in the inner core of the Silabrate. Excretion of hot composites to the exterior of the body gives the creature its molten appearance.

The second structure is the rough equivalent of a heart, which takes up approximately 40% of the total body mass. Apart from circulating the Silabrate's body fluids, it also synthesizes the energy-rich compounds needed to sustain the Silabrate. The energy is stored as molecules with high-energy bonds and then used by the cells whenever needed. In addition, it produces the extraordinary thermal output the Silabrate needs for the production of Alien Composites.

- X-Corps Christmas song

I removed the last part of the 2nd para because it seems non-applicable with the latest lab model Edited by kafros

• 2 weeks later...

Looking good. I didn't have much time to look over this properly, but this is what I came up with. Purple text for rewording and orange for notes.

SILABRATE AUTOPSY

When X-Corps soldiers first encountered this species, they reported that it appeared to comprise of congealed lava, slithering across the battlefield, leaving a scorched trail in its wake. It was also noted that when a Silabrate seizes its biological functions, it loses its lava-like texture and transforms into a cleaved crystalline solid. After some detailed analysis, we now understand what makes the Silabrate have its lucent, molten appearance. The creature slowly produces high-temperature Alien Composites which are physiologically integrated into its body as the outer layer of the skin or, in the presence of abundant raw materials, excreted. Although rather simple in appearance, the Silabrate body operates in a remarkable way.

Conducting autopsy on a dead Silabrate specimen was a delicate operation which had to be carefully planned and executed. The use of Computer Assisted Surgery (CAS) was inevitable. Preliminary study of the carcass proposed a skin temperature at around 3000 Kelvin at the time of death, suggesting an enormously exothermic interior of the body. Moreover, right before the start of the operation, its skin temperature was still quite high for the durability of typical OR equipment, forcing us to manufacture a specially thermal-shielded operating table made of Alien Composites, ensuring OR integrity in case of unpredictable exothermic flares.

Our research team soon discovered that the toughness of the Silabrate's skin greatly exceeds the capabilities of common surgical tools, such as scalpels. Industrial lasers, normally used in our workshops, were an effective alternative. With the removal of what we estimated to be the equivalent of the epidermis, thermal sensors recorded a sharp increase in temperature, which stabilized at around 450 Kelvin despite the fact that the Alien had been dead for a long time.

NOTE: Possible consistency problem with temperature in first paragraph. Perhaps 4500K is better/intended?

Skin samples were extracted for analysis. The creature's biology is based on silicon, providing enough toughness to break most matter into small pieces that the Silabrate can eat via its stoma. We now have proof that Alien Composites are produced internally and then slowly migrate to the visible outer layer of the skin. The Silabrate metabolism can easily assimilate a grand variety of organic substances and materials. Apparently, the metabolic reactions take place in one of the two Silabrate organs, which works like a reaction chamber, lined with tissue capable of withstanding physical stress higher than the one afflicted due to the aformentioned processes. The contents of this huge vacuole turned out to be a heterogeneous mixture of collected materials, including plant and animal parts as well as a variety of rocks and even metals. The transformation process, allowing a breakdown of assimilated matter into its base components and their recombination into Alien Composites, takes place in the inner core of the Silabrate. Excretion of hot composites to the exterior of the body gives the creature its molten appearance.

The second structure is the rough equivalent of a heart, which takes up approximately 40% of the total body mass. Apart from circulating the Silabrate's body fluids, it also synthesizes the energy-rich compounds needed to sustain the Silabrate. The energy is stored as molecules with high-energy bonds and then used by the cells whenever needed. In addition, it produces the extraordinary thermal output the Silabrate needs for the production of Alien Composites.

- X-Corps Christmas song

- Zombie

It seems that it missed my attention multiple times ;)

Actually, this is what I had in mind when I first wrote the CT:

THe silabrate is extremely hot when killed (outside surface). WHen they try to conduct research on it, it is extremely cool (say, room temperature). Alas, once they try to dissect it, there's a rapid increase in temperature, which decreases slowly and stabilizes around 450 K...

450, 4500, what do you both think? :S

Is this complete then? ^_^

SILABRATE AUTOPSY

When X-Corps soldiers first encountered this species, they reported that it appeared to comprise of congealed lava, slithering across the battlefield, leaving a scorched trail in its wake. It was also noted that when a Silabrate seizes its biological functions, it loses its lava-like texture and transforms into a cleaved crystalline solid. After some detailed analysis, we now understand what makes the Silabrate have its lucent, molten appearance. The creature slowly produces high-temperature Alien Composites which are physiologically integrated into its body as the outer layer of the skin or, in the presence of abundant raw materials, excreted. Although rather simple in appearance, the Silabrate body operates in a remarkable way.

Conducting autopsy on a dead Silabrate specimen was a delicate operation which had to be carefully planned and executed. The use of Computer Assisted Surgery (CAS) was inevitable. Preliminary study of the carcass proposed a skin temperature at around 3000 Kelvin at the time of death, suggesting an enormously exothermic interior of the body. Moreover, right before the start of the operation, its skin temperature was still quite high for the durability of typical OR equipment, forcing us to manufacture a specially thermal-shielded operating table made of Alien Composites, ensuring OR integrity in case of unpredictable exothermic flares.

Our research team soon discovered that the toughness of the Silabrate's skin greatly exceeds the capabilities of common surgical tools, such as scalpels. Industrial lasers, normally used in our workshops, were an effective alternative. With the removal of what we estimated to be the equivalent of the epidermis, thermal sensors recorded a sharp increase in temperature, which stabilized at around 4500 Kelvin despite the fact that the Alien had been dead for a long time.

Skin samples were extracted for analysis. The creature's biology is based on silicon, providing enough toughness to break most matter into small pieces that the Silabrate can eat via its stoma. We now have proof that Alien Composites are produced internally and then slowly migrate to the visible outer layer of the skin. The Silabrate metabolism can easily assimilate a grand variety of organic substances and materials. Apparently, the metabolic reactions take place in one of the two Silabrate organs, which works like a reaction chamber, lined with tissue capable of withstanding physical stress higher than the one afflicted due to the aformentioned processes. The contents of this huge vacuole turned out to be a heterogeneous mixture of collected materials, including plant and animal parts as well as a variety of rocks and even metals. The transformation process, allowing a breakdown of assimilated matter into its base components and their recombination into Alien Composites, takes place in the inner core of the Silabrate. Excretion of hot composites to the exterior of the body gives the creature its molten appearance.

- X-Corps Christmas song

almost... But I found one thing I'm not 1ßß% sure about:

Skin samples were extracted for analysis. The creature's biology is based on silicon, providing enough toughness to break most matter into small pieces that the Silabrate can eat via its stoma.

How does it brake down the matter? By slithering over it? ;)

Edited by Mad

almost... But I found one thing I'm not 1ßß% sure about:

Skin samples were extracted for analysis. The creature's biology is based on silicon, providing enough toughness to break most matter into small pieces that the Silabrate can eat via its stoma.

Actually... yes :S

Well, 4500K equates to 7600 degrees Fahrenheit or 4200 degrees Celsius. Most matter breaks up pretty easily under these temperatures. Combine this with the high pressures the Silabrate's internal musculature exerts on matter and in the presence of atmospheric oxygen, most matter will turn into an oxide of some sort which is technically "breaking down". I suppose this is a positive side-effect of making it 4500K, eh? It explains stuff nicely. LOL

- Zombie

Well, 4500K equates to 7600 degrees Fahrenheit or 4200 degrees Celsius. Most matter breaks up pretty easily under these temperatures. Combine this with the high pressures the Silabrate's internal musculature exerts on matter and in the presence of atmospheric oxygen, most matter will turn into an oxide of some sort which is technically "breaking down". I suppose this is a positive side-effect of making it 4500K, eh? It explains stuff nicely. LOL

- Zombie

YeaYea, sure, I just wanted him to explain how. He just said it's broken down, not how. :)

QUOTE(kafros @ Dec 26 2006, 02:53 PM )

`The second structure is the rough equivalent of a heart, which takes up approximately 40% of the total body mass. Apart from circulating the Silabrate's body fluids, it also synthesizes the energy-rich compounds needed to sustain the Silabrate. The energy is stored as molecules with high-energy bonds and then used by the cells whenever needed. In addition, it produces the extraordinary thermal output the Silabrate needs for the production of Alien Composites`

sorry maybe I overread the part where the silabrate circulation is described but what interests me is how it works,you say the so called silabrate heart circulates the fluids-throuhg what?I mean arteies or veins don´t come as an option or?

again sorry if the question is out of place,I am new here,and there are no stupid questions or? :(

I kind of liked the idea of GQP as energy storage although it doesn´t exist it is theoretically possible

sorry maybe I overread the part where the silabrate circulation is described but what interests me is how it works,you say the so called silabrate heart circulates the fluids-throuhg what?I mean arteies or veins don´t come as an option or?

Actually this is an interesting question. I just assumed there would be something like a vascular system, but what did you have in mind kafros? Since this creature is pretty basic, one could assume there is no vascular system and the fluids are just moved inside the body... hmmm... Actually that arises a new question: does it breathe? Do it's cells need oxygen? :)

well the thing that I do nit get is how is the heart supposed to fluctuate the fluids throughout the silabrate body when tehre is no system to push them through ih you get what I mean

well I would suppose it does need oxygen,perhaps not breathe it but the muscle system,ATP,GQP or which ever energy reserve it has needs oxygen for its production

oh just found an interesting article in wikipedia:

An open system is an arrangement of internal transport present in some invertebrates like simple molluscs and arthropods in which circulatory fluid in a cavity called the hemocoel (also spelled haemocoel) bathes the organs directly and there is no distinction between blood and interstitial fluid; this combined fluid is called hemolymph (also spelled haemolymph). Muscular movements by the animal during locomotion can facilitate hemolymph movement, but diverting flow from one area to another is limited. When the heart relaxes, blood is drawn back toward the heart through open-ended pores.

that would be n opened circulation system

more see

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_circula...culatory_system

okay about the berathing part-would it not need some kind of a pulmonal system or so,or could it like a frog `breathe` through the skin,like diffusion?

Is it possible the Silabrate is very hot due to internal fission and/or fusion and it consumes creatures not for eating (ATP, nutrients can't ever generate that much energy), but for their hydrogen (fusion) and carbon (neutron regulator)?

Fluids at 4500k I'd call them plasma, they must be ionized particles at that high temperature :unsure:

You won't get a plasma at 4500K. Not at "normal" pressure that is. And since we don't know too much about these Alien composites it might very well be that they are still fluid at 4500K. However, I stumbled over sth. else: F.O.L - concearning the QTPs: It is a nice idea indeed, but I'm pretty sure they won't be stable at these temperatures. Actually I have problems imagining any energy rich component stable at such temperatures. So, because of this, it might be a good idea to lower the temperature a little. Thing is, IIRC, Wolfram should be the metal with the highest melting point (at around 3700K) - so why don't manufacture a Wolfram or a Carbon table (carbon would have a melting point around 3900K). Well, I would say, melting is not an option, the table should be stable at these temperatures. So maybe we could get away with 2500K or something like it? Does this change anything? Kafros, what do you think?

dan2: Ad fusion: Maybe a bit too much. Even fission would be I think. But we definetly have to think about where the energy comes from... And if it's an oxygen based effect (actually, I see no possibility to do it without oxygen) - where does these vast amounts of oxygen come from?

In the fission reactor the temperature of the uranium pellets gets regulated by the amount of neutrons per volume of uranium. With neutron absorbers, like cadmium, or neutron kinetic energy absorbers, like carbon, the temperature can be varied quite a lot, from hundreds to thousands.

So even if the creature is dead, the body would still maintain it's heat for a long while, due to the particular mixture of fission/fusion material and neutron active material.

4500k should be enough for ionization, I'd say, but I was wrong before :Blush:

Carbon nanotubes have very strong bonds and conduct easy heat toward outside, but even those can't be stable at 4500k. But since we talk about a fictional material, let's hope the aliens managed to create better carbon nanotubes/carbon onions than we managed so far :unsure:

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, but ionized gas is not the same as plasma.

AC are way better than anything mankind is able to produce, that's why they are called AC, and that's why they allow us to build those fancy things we never thought about before.

As for the fission, I still don't think fission would be a good idea, because that would imply that AC are radioactive (they would be if they were in such close contact to a fission process) and that would render them useless for us and with some certainty for the Aliens as well.

so, kafros, I would love to read a new draft. Do you have some spare time?

so, kafros, I would love to read a new draft. Do you have some spare time?
We are near the first semester examinations, things are quite tight around here, and I don't want to allocate any of my time on PX, soz. Except a lot of progress around late Feb :)

As for the fission, I still don't think fission would be a good idea, because that would imply that AC are radioactive (they would be if they were in such close contact to a fission process) and that would render them useless for us and with some certainty for the Aliens as well.

Actually when I proposed this I had fusion in mind. I used fission just as an example that already exists, but the creature could use neutron regulators (carbon), hydrogen and ACs for controlled fusion. Just because fusion happens doesn't imply millions of degrees if the process is regulated somehow.

As for plasma I always thought it as ionized gas :unsure:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma_%28physics%29

Actually when I proposed this I had fusion in mind. I used fission just as an example that already exists, but the creature could use neutron regulators (carbon), hydrogen and ACs for controlled fusion. Just because fusion happens doesn't imply millions of degrees if the process is regulated somehow.

As for plasma I always thought it as ionized gas :unsure:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma_%28physics%29

ad fusion: That would be cold fusion then. Because the thing is, it's not about control in the hot fusion, but it is about having enough energy to start the fusion process. And even with fusion the problem of the radiation remains. Not as bad as with fission, but as there are particles "created" and accelerated, they shoot accross the room and interact with any available matter creating radio-isotopes.

As for the plasma: Well, yes and no. The actual plasma is formed by the not allocated electrons. So to have the whole body cavity filled with a plasma, you would have to reach a very high ionization of the solid matter (so solid at room temperature -> liquid -> gas -> plasma instead of gas at room temperature -> plasma; and that's a bit harder than to ionize a gas), which would require very high temperatures.

Well, then again, I could be wrong with this, but this is how I always understood it.

(Taking notes which I'll work on once I return... Feel free to take them as "food for thought" and work on them though :D)

1) I had in mind what FOL suggested. That's how i.e. locusts fuction :). The heart works as a "pump", setting the Silabrate's inner fluids into motion. Locomotion also aids the process, that's why Silabrates are supposed to be in constant motion (remember the original alien in EU?)

2) Something that popped into my mind... Tm(Si) = 1685 K... Silicon melts at 1,7k Kelvin and the Silabrate has an internal temperature of ~4,5k???? 0.o. I think I should lower the temperature and find a "silicon-based" substance which the Silabrate's biology is based on, otherwise it's just strange :(

3) http://www.ioffe.rssi.ru/SVA/NSM/Semicond/Si/index.html , too technical but it has 2-3 points which may prove helpful later (combined with other sources, that is...)

4) Fusion... I think it's the only way, because fission would indeed make ACs (and Silabrates themselves) too radioactive for everyday contact

5) I think I'll scrap the operating theatre idea. It was a nice one, but it complicates things without reason. In addition, I prefer the table on the existing model ;P

6) Instead of using Carbon based composites like G/Q-DP etc etc etc, we could either find Si-based ones, or rely on C/CO2 itself... I'm not sure if the Si idea is valid, but I have something in mind concerning CO2... Except more in 1 month :O

7.a) I'm very fond of the plasma idea... Although I have to make online research on the issue, I can't provide any explanations of its functioning right now.

7.B) Direct energy transfer between cells... Interesting... Could it work via ionized compounds, ionized carbon or even simply by radiation?? (more research needed)

7.c) That would also explain why you don't see any Silabrates on Mars... No Oxygen... In addition, Carbon + Carbon dioxide + H2O vapor in the Earth's atmosphere, combined with high quantities of Infrared Radiation......(hmmm)... Although Mars is also rich in Carbon and has VAST quantities of CO2, why isn't it enough for the Silabrate to function there? Needing it for "terrorism" isn't enough...

Problems, problems, a whole lot of problems :(

ok, a few ideas for possible solutions:

ad 2) it's based on AC, which are based on silicon. No big deal. An alloy can have a higher melting temperature than it's components.

ad 4) Difficult. As I said before, in the fusion process "created" particles will make surrounding materials including the silabrate itself radioactive.

ad 5) So how do you explain that ACs are a prequisite to Silabrate research?

ad 6) The big issue with Si is, that IIRC it is not able to build molecule chains as long as carbon. Plus IIRC the electron-charge difference to O2 is too big (not big enough, damn don't remember anymore) to allow for efficient redox operations. However, if we use Si, yes, it wouldn't make too much sense to use carbon based energy-rich-bond molecules.

• 2 weeks later...
ad 4) Difficult. As I said before, in the fusion process "created" particles will make surrounding materials including the silabrate itself radioactive.
Then how does it function? :S

Otherwise we won't be able to understand the Silabrate's very nature? The reaction that takes place inside the silabrate and which creates this alien component?

ad 6) The big issue with Si is, that IIRC it is not able to build molecule chains as long as carbon. Plus IIRC the electron-charge difference to O2 is too big (not big enough, damn don't remember anymore) to allow for efficient redox operations. However, if we use Si, yes, it wouldn't make too much sense to use carbon based energy-rich-bond molecules.
The it just breaks down any kind of raw matter and uses the energy?

We could think of the Silabrate as a battery, with "energy flowing freely inside it". The catch is to explain this scientifically

Edited by kafros

Then how does it function? :S

What? the Silibrate? Good question. No answer at the time beeing.

Otherwise we won't be able to understand the Silabrate's very nature? The reaction that takes place inside the silabrate and which creates this alien component?

Well, yes, but how do you explain thsi to the player?

Sorry? Can't follow you here... what are you trying to say?

We could think of the Silabrate as a battery, with "energy flowing freely inside it". The catch is to explain this scientifically

And who charges the battery?

What? the Silibrate? Good question. No answer at the time beeing.

Well, yes, but how do you explain thsi to the player?

Well, just another paragraph at the start of the CT I guess... >, followed by the analysis of its functioning

Sorry? Can't follow you here... what are you trying to say?

It's a wild idea, but I'll try to explain the concept (explaining the mechanism will be even worse, actually I'm not sure how could this be applicable in sci-fi terms): Instead of storing energy-rich bonds like most known lifeforms do, the silabrate can store "pure energy" inside itself. When it "eats" matter, it breaks it down to its most basic form (atoms) and "salvages" chemical energy. This energy "flows freely" either inside the Silabrate, or inside an internal organ (I prefer the latter). It salvages energy, and then it uses it in order to create ACs

I'll have to read the Alien Composite, because I don't remember it's nature. In addition, it may not be "pure energy", but just an "energy form" which the Silabrate can somehow use manipulate/use in order to create ACs.

That's the CONCEPT. The mechanism will use some scientific facts (if I... find any at all :P :D), or just a lot of rational-sounding (or not at all xD) technobabble.

What do you think? :-S

And who charges the battery?
See above Edited by kafros

It's a wild idea, but I'll try to explain the concept (explaining the mechanism will be even worse, actually I'm not sure how could this be applicable in sci-fi terms): Instead of storing energy-rich bonds like most known lifeforms do, the silabrate can store "pure energy" inside itself. When it "eats" matter, it breaks it down to its most basic form (atoms) and "salvages" chemical energy. This energy "flows freely" either inside the Silabrate, or inside an internal organ (I prefer the latter). It salvages energy, and then it uses it in order to create ACs

I'll have to read the Alien Composite, because I don't remember it's nature. In addition, it may not be "pure energy", but just an "energy form" which the Silabrate can somehow use manipulate/use in order to create ACs.

That's the CONCEPT. The mechanism will use some scientific facts (if I... find any at all :P :D), or just a lot of rational technobabble.

What do you think? :-S

Ok, so let's leave the operation theatre thing out and explain the AC prequisite your way. :)

It does store pure energy already (heat!). That's not really the issue as I see it. The thing I'm concerned about is, how does it create this energy? How does it nourish, how does it brake down the matter into it's atoms? Why does it not radiate?(and at this point, how are it's cells supposed to nourish if everything inside is so hot, that everything brakes down into atoms?) Are there some sorts of catalystic effects we don't know anything further about? Or is there a suprisingly cool inner core where the "living part" takes place and it get's hotter to the outer areas due to a chemical reaction of the secreted compounds which in the end form the AC? This way it might be easier to work with "standard" biologic thinking/terms and would make it a bit more probable AFAI see it.