XCOMUFO & Xenocide

I'm New

x0563511

Welcome to ufo2000. :)

I'm stuck on windows, do you suggest stable or latest-greatest beta?

They both have their good points...I play stable mainly though because I can't run the beta without having to go into 800x600 rez :wink1: The stable is good for simple, and more battles because more people are on the server than the beta.

But the beta is very debugged and has many more features than the stable has:

- Flying suits actually fly (cost extra 200 points)

- Night missions are active (still being developed though :wink1: )

- User weapon sets can be played (I would reccomend the Galactic weapon set since they need opinions on, but are quite stable)

- Most bad bugs are eliminated (I found some of them and think they to be quite shocking)

- new weapons/items are added into the standard weapon set such as knife, incedinary grenade, SMG (sub-machine gun), and laser minigun

- small launcher can launch alien grenades and "stun bombs > formerly known as stun missile :wink1: "

- smoke grenades' smoke last longer than 2 turns now

- standarditems.lua functions cleaned up (hehe, I need to get around to doing the same with the galactic weapon set :Blush: )

- statistic balances for some weapons: heavy cannon and auto-cannon +5 weight, heavy laser's snap shot is 75% hit now (much more useful), and many other changes. (The only thing I don't like changed was the conventional pistol having 40 power...too uber now)

- visibility adjusted

- mutons have 70 armor for front, 60 for sides, and 50 for back and under (higher armor results in higher cost :naughty: )

- seen weapons on ground now leave a marker on the minimap

- firing/throwing weapons/items now are not visible to your opponent unless in sight

- morale actually affects accuracy

- soldiers can panic

- morale can be lowered if hit by friendly fire, explosions, opponent firing and bullets hit near your unit

- mouse cursor speed can now be adjusted in the options area

- there is an option to tell your units to kneel or not if second player when starting out

- a new graphical control panel is introduced

- you can load previous unfinished games on the server when playing multiplay now

- you can save replays which will help you watch your opponents (spy more like :blink2: ) Not against it...actually it will help newbs to learn from their mistakes

hehe, could make the list longer... :naughty:

How should i go about practicing when noone is online?

The only thing you will be able to do offline is to set your men up, think up strategies, look for bugs, and to look for the use of statistics

Hoped I crammed your brain with all this. :hammer:

Edited by Kratos

You save a replay only for the beta version at the end of a battle. It will automatically ask you if you want to save it once the battle ends. And yes I agree, watching others is a good way to learn.

There can be problems just "giving" you a replay though:

- If you don't have the correct weapon set, the replay will crash. Since there has been lots of changes in weapon sets over time (including stat changes) with the betas...most replays will be lost and forgotten because they won't be able to run.

- If you don't have the correct map, the replay will crash. This is less of a problem, but still occurs because of you may not know where to get the map..or you are using a map that was for testing purposes and you would never know it was upgraded because nobody announced it, or you didn't see the announcement :wink1:

- if crc errors occur during your replay save...awkward things will be seen in the replay because you didn't get the same calculations the opponent had

The reason why replays crash is because they act as if you are actually battling someone, but doesn't allow you to choose anything because it chooses the map, equipment, actions (firing calculations are placed inside the replay to avoid the wrong calculations happening) it has been told to grab.

But one of the questions is that "I" would give you a replay? Hehe, I doubt they work since they are old. Plus, I have been playing many battles mainly with the new weapon set...and they have been currently upgraded many times...so I bet if you tried my replays...it would crash on you. :wink1:

Edited by Kratos