XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Xenocide Release

Patrick1994

... When it's done! ;)

No, seriously, thanks for your interest. At the current point however, I can't say when there will be a fully playable release. However, if you would press me for an estimation, I would say something around two-yearish...

The more people join to help, the faster we're done... :)

ROFL let's hope it doesn't come to this. However, Xenocide will of course be better than DN4E. :)

Edit: Oh, and Az? You're more than welcome to improve speed and work on one of those many many CTs waiting in Proofreading...

Edited by Mad

And I wouldn't claim otherwise. Thing is, we can always only estimate on our current progress and our current workspeed, which is based on our active members. I would like to emphasize that Project Xenocide is not dead as you can hear at some places. But yes, we've had some issues, some members got bored and stopped contributing which slowed us down resulting in even more members leaving instead of staying and working hard to keep the project running. Besides this, everyone here has a full time job in RL (or is a pupil/student), so there always are times when it is difficult to work on the project. However, grumbling around and demotivating those who are still around is not a solution for this problem and won't speed up development. If you or for that matter anyone else wants to see an early release, don't b!tch around and tell us how much we suck, but join the project or work as a "free consultant". See for yourself what's the reason Xenocide hasn't been released until now.

To clarify Mad's statement: I left, but not because I got bored. There were several other reasons. And in order to keep this discrete, I prefer not to mention them. Either way, I wish this project and their members all the best.

- Thomas

Edited by ATeX

ROFL let's hope it doesn't come to this. However, Xenocide will of course be better than DN4E. :)

Edit: Oh, and Az? You're more than welcome to improve speed and work on one of those many many CTs waiting in Proofreading...

Sorry Mad, but I tried improving speed by making the CMS we needed... still waiting for aknowledge by any admin as I don't have database access... and our site is still not done.

:)

Edited by Azrael

To clarify Mad's statement: I left, but not because I got bored. There were several other reasons. And in order to keep this discrete, I prefer not to mention them. Either way, I wish this project and their members all the best.

Well, actually I wasn't speaking about you. More in general terms. And I didn't assume you got bored. But however, I'm sorry to hear that there were other reasons than RL involved. If you don't mind / would like, I would love to hear more about this - in private of course. :)

Because at least I am still very sorry you left, and I'm pretty sure there are others that think the same way. Drop me a line if you'd like to talk.

Edit: However, I don't want to chocolate-coat this. As on every team you always have people around you don't like. And sometimes it even feels like working for nothing or against unimaginable resistance. Sometimes it's hard. Yes. But for me the idea is important enough to let nobody stand in my way or for that matter Xenocides way. I don't say everyone should think that way. This is just to say, it's not always nice and sunny at my patch as well, and I do understand if people are not willing to let a hobby become stressfull in any way or let it frustrate them. Just to say if you love this stuff the way I do, you don't let some stupid guys destroy it for you. You just cope with them as good as you can and do your own thing. And eventually you'll see that they are trying to achieve the same thing you are, and just picked another way. And sometimes you're able to suddenly see the world with their eyes and agree with them. I for one, wouldn't want to exchange PX against anything else. Against all odds.

Edited by Mad

Sorry Mad, but I tried improving speed by making the CMS we needed... still waiting for aknowledge by any admin as I don't have database access... and our site is still not done.

Oh, actually I thought you quit working on this. Good. You need database access? Let me check something.

Oh, actually I thought you quit working on this. Good. You need database access? Let me check something.

I did stop, I got bored of waiting for someone to care :) I think I got the files of what I had got working so far somewhere if anybody wants them anyway :)

I did stop, I got bored of waiting for someone to care :) I think I got the files of what I had got working so far somewhere if anybody wants them anyway :)

Thing is, I can understand that you were tired of waiting. But this is a common problem around here and you know it. Getting something done with the server is a royal pain in the a$$, because it is difficult to get the people responsible on hook. However, what I don't understand is, why didn't you do anything else in this time? I mean, you are a good writer, and you are CTD. You could have commented on one or another text, you could have checked out a CT in Proofreading, you could have joined kafros, zombie and me in our effort to complete some of the older CTs (and we did complete quite some). But, sorry I don't want to fight, nor do I want to offense you, you didn't. Now I understand, we all are busy. I for one am preparing for a huge exam I'll have on the 22nd. And I understand if people scale back their contributions in exam periods. But that's not the actual point, is it? Even with an awful load of work, one could check the forums every two to three days, write a line or two, post a comment, maybe even work on a small CT or help proofreading one. This takes how long? Twenty minutes? I don't know, but for something I really care about I do have 20 minutes a week. Maybe even more.

Edit: Sorry Az that it's you now who get's the whole load. I do consider you a good friend, you know this is nothing personal.

Edit2: As for the files, could you post them in the appropriate thread? Thanks! :)

Edited by Mad

Thing is, I can understand that you were tired of waiting. But this is a common problem around here and you know it. Getting something done with the server is a royal pain in the a$$, because it is difficult to get the people responsible on hook. However, what I don't understand is, why didn't you do anything else in this time? I mean, you are a good writer, and you are CTD. You could have commented on one or another text, you could have checked out a CT in Proofreading, you could have joined kafros, zombie and me in our effort to complete some of the older CTs (and we did complete quite some). But, sorry I don't want to fight, nor do I want to offense you, you didn't. Now I understand, we all are busy. I for one am preparing for a huge exam I'll have on the 22nd. And I understand if people scale back their contributions in exam periods. But that's not the actual point, is it? Even with an awful load of work, one could check the forums every two to three days, write a line or two, post a comment, maybe even work on a small CT or help proofreading one. This takes how long? Twenty minutes? I don't know, but for something I really care about I do have 20 minutes a week. Maybe even more.

Edit: Sorry Az that it's you now who get's the whole load. I do consider you a good friend, you know this is nothing personal.

Hey, don't worry, I won't take it personal ;)

I stopped commenting and doing basically anything because I lost any real sense of progress, you know how I feel about recent happenings, hence the time I requested to be moved to Inactive. I still comment on texts though, but very occassionally as you well know and far between :)

I stopped commenting and doing basically anything because I lost any real sense of progress, you know how I feel about recent happenings, hence the time I requested to be moved to Inactive. I still comment on texts though, but very occassionally as you well know and far between :)

Yea, I know. It can be pretty frustrating if nothing moves. But then again, if noone moves, nothing will move. You get my point? I mean, if there are people who do "their job" even if they are frustrated and nothing seems to move, others might see that there actually is movement. And so those might pick up their work too. And the more people are working, the faster we're moving. Xenocide will be completed. I have no clue when, I admit this freely. But our work at CTD is not done yet, so we could just look at our own department and do some serious work. We don't have to wait for others, we don't have to look at them. They will be ready when we are. And if they're not? Well, then ok, let's get frustrated and lean back. But not a second before.

Ever watched Galaxy quest? Never surrender, never give up! ;)

Please notice my "Edit2" in the previous post. :)

Yea, I know. It can be pretty frustrating if nothing moves. But then again, if noone moves, nothing will move. You get my point? I mean, if there are people who do "their job" even if they are frustrated and nothing seems to move, others might see that there actually is movement. And so those might pick up their work too. And the more people are working, the faster we're moving. Xenocide will be completed. I have no clue when, I admit this freely. But our work at CTD is not done yet, so we could just look at our own department and do some serious work. We don't have to wait for others, we don't have to look at them. They will be ready when we are. And if they're not? Well, then ok, let's get frustrated and lean back. But not a second before.

Ever watched Galaxy quest? Never surrender, never give up! ;)

Please notice my "Edit2" in the previous post. :)

Don't give me that :P You seem to forget I was a Senior myself, I went very long with little hope :D

Anyhow, I don't think our discussion is relevant to this thread, I merely wanted to make a small joke :P

Don't give me that :P You seem to forget I was a Senior myself, I went very long with little hope :D

Anyhow, I don't think our discussion is relevant to this thread, I merely wanted to make a small joke :P

Nope, I didn't forget. How could I. Just wondering, what did you make not wanting to go any further? (I know why you didn't want to be a senior anymore, but why not just do some contributions as a normal member? Without all the hassle. :))

Well, and you may be right, it's not really relevant to this threat. However, it's relevant to Xenocide not being released by now. But I guess it's been discussed over and over, and we're not going to come to any more or better answers than we've come to in previous discussions. It is the way it is. Some people stay, some people go, other people come and I'll live to see the release of Xenocide. :) (so it can't be too far future... ;) )

Whoah , save that for a new love forum

:P It's a looong story... You know he one day gave me this mug (which I later destroyed).... ;)

You just had to remind me of that, didn't you <_<

That persistant association between pink and something shameful is an obvious hint of sexual confusion :P :pink:
Dunno, I focus on the fact that I spoiled your shirt :P

In addition, there's a song by Nikos Ksydis called "Γίνε bi, μπορεί να σου πάει", (free translation:) "Turn bi, it may fit your needs" :O

If you don't try it you can't deny it, etc etc etc :P

The fact is that YOU Az never loved me :'(, you just asked for more work to be provided by me... *sobs*

Edited by kafros

• 3 weeks later...

Hey i havent been around here for a while *cough* monthspossiblyayearorso *cough* but i have been checking in from time to tiem to see whats going on, i was just wondering what sort of people are you in need of most? I personally am completely unskilled but i may have friends who would be interested in joining (no promises though!) i cant wait till v 1.0 is released but if that means waiting anouther 3-4 years so be it LOL

*wonders if anyone remembers me*

Hey i havent been around here for a while *cough* monthspossiblyayearorso *cough* but i have been checking in from time to tiem to see whats going on, i was just wondering what sort of people are you in need of most? I personally am completely unskilled but i may have friends who would be interested in joining (no promises though!) i cant wait till v 1.0 is released but if that means waiting anouther 3-4 years so be it LOL

*wonders if anyone remembers me*

We do remember you FM, although I mostly remember you due to Pardus :P hehehe

Anyway, I guess programmers are #1 priority, especially ones skilled with C sharp (C#). Then people for the sound department, then artists, then webdesigners, then CTD ones (from top to low priority)

• 3 weeks later...

Mm.. Have you guys even finished the Combat system yet? =X

Id personally like to test that myself..

I know you are lacking alot of the models for all the cool guns, but couldnt it be done simply with a low res version? for testing purposes.

Just slap together some super boxy models and see how well the code runs.

Since he has a valid point, those posts are now invisible - including this one - this is just an explanation for those wo can see... ;). Nevertheless, I must say I was tempted not to react, since the tone was agressive as usual. :( Edited by Mad

Mm.. Have you guys even finished the Combat system yet? =X

Id personally like to test that myself..

I know you are lacking alot of the models for all the cool guns, but couldnt it be done simply with a low res version? for testing purposes.

Just slap together some super boxy models and see how well the code runs.

No, Battleview has not recieved any attention yet.

Battlescape, that is why we started with geoscape... making mistakes in simplier stuff is easier and more cost effective.

Greetings

Red Knight

I supposed correcting them is much as easy (or at least a bit harder) as making them ;) ^_^

I figured geoscape was easier, but didn't want to assume. Sometimes when I play xcom I wonder how they programed certain stuff, like where shots go when they are fired. Not just who they hit, but when they miss where they go. Alien ground AI seems like it would be hard to program as well.

Potentially spoiling the romance surrounding the issue, I've *heard* that the ai in ufo was basically random. It would move around.. and when it saw a badguy (which of course is a complicated matter itself), it would shoot at it. The moves that it makes around the board, though, are not according to any kind of plan, it just moves around.

Let me add that a good AI doesn't have to be a clever one ;). One that SEEMS to be clever is enough (and that happens in most (if not all) of the games developed until now) Edited by kafros

I know the movements are random, but given enough time you could count on some things. Eventually if you hid your guys in the elevator of an alien base the aliens would find you up there. If you clear a crashed, or landed ufo and keep some dudes in there, eventually the aliens would return to the ship and find you. It was random, but very cleverly random.

I know the aliens aren't advanced enough to try and flank you. They don't systemattically search the map for you or line up outside the skyranger to gun you down, (though it seems that way sometimes).

Random is fine and there is little room for improvement.

Potentially spoiling the romance surrounding the issue, I've *heard* that the ai in ufo was basically random. It would move around.. and when it saw a badguy (which of course is a complicated matter itself), it would shoot at it. The moves that it makes around the board, though, are not according to any kind of plan, it just moves around.

Despite all the map areas having "floorplans" that went with the actual map files that seemed to have some kind of nodes to indicate importance?

*shrug*

I'd prefer a semi-random AI that was unpredictable than an unbeatable superior AI.

Who needs a coffee, I'm buying!!!

I don't say much but I'm never far from these forums ;) It's good to see many dedicated people interested in the development of this project. Two years from now, I'll still be around in acticipation that I can stop the alien scum invasion.

Edited by revenant4

Despite all the map areas having "floorplans" that went with the actual map files that seemed to have some kind of nodes to indicate importance?

In fact original XCOM AI was random too. smile.gif info from original developers Wink.gif

There you go, second hand from the devs themselves. Now, when I said UFO AI I mean the original AI in UFO:Enemy Unknown (XCOM), not UFO AI (UFO: Alien Invasion)... or UFO Al... or any of those After* games... if you know what I mean.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I think I have a solution to the Semi random idea.

Randomize the entire Squad, so a group of 6 move together around random areas, to do this you could easily assign a "Ghost leader" that they would all guard, you can not hurt or see the ghost leader. and it has no impact on play other than keeping the alien groups together.

This will allow for the same random style play I have always enjoyed in X-Com.

This is quite Apoc style if I do say so myself :P

• 2 weeks later...