XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Music go silent with Save&Load

mooses_an

So everytime I save or load a game, the music volume changes, so that it's barely audible. Then I have to go back to the Options and either turn off and back on the music (which will also change the track) or click the music volume slider/arrows.. then the music can be heard again. Alternatively I could wait for a while so that the game starts to play a new track, which will be played with the correct volume (until I save or load again).

Is this normal? I'm running it with dosbox and both dosbox and game settings use soundblaster 16, port 220, irq 7, dma 1 and hdma 5 (this one is used as dma in xcom).

Also sometimes left and right have swapped and I have to swap them back.. no idea what causes that.

This is a long shot, as I don't really know what's causing your problems, but try going to the game's sound setup and dropping your soundcard type by one level. Say you were using a Soundblaster Pro, try dropping it down to just soundblaster and see if that improves things.

- NKF

I tried soundblaster and soundblaster pro, including changing it in the dosbox settings. Trying to set soundblaster will crash & jam the setup. Soundblaster pro can be used, but video playback is choppy and ingame sound and music has lots of noise.. and it has music volume drop too.

That's really odd - in the old days when more modern soundblaster settings were used and caused trouble with the game or the sound setup, downgrading to the older 8-bit model would often fix things.

What are the general settings you're entering into the sound setup?

edit:

One other thought occurred to me - have you set the soundcard type in the Dosbox config to SB1 or SB2? I think it defaults to SB16, which is probably why the setup program doesn't like the older SB.

- NKF

Edited by NKF

Well, I use 64bit win 7.. and I tried both sb1 and sb2. And I think I wouldn't want to downgrade.. the setup program was able to tell me the soundblaster would be mono sound. Stereo is better, because it helps me find the aliens, unless the channels were swapped.. and would direct my agents to the opposite direction. Fortunately the random channel swap doesn't happen too often.

Now I also tried two older dosbox versions, but the music went silent with them as well. I also tried mounting the image with dosbox and I also tried the real cd and they didn't work any better. I even tried turning on the action music.. which didn't work either, but when a new track starts playing, then the volume jumps back up, and the action tracks seem shorter.. just that I prefer the slower ambient tracks all the time.

I think I'll just extract the music from the music file, play them with winamp and disable music in the game.

Do the music tracks have any names?

Edited by mooses_an