XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Forum Rules

gangsta

Ok since it came up. :) I'm not actually strict so feel free to say what you think as long as you stay on topic or eventually get back on topic. The main thing to rember here is that this is a work area for the Xenocide Project. You still can have fun and crack jokes :) like you have been. I'll let a little spam slide.

Now when there is alot of spam and it is getting like offtopics it will get deleted because again this is a work area. Also messages that seem like the person who posted it was on crack will get deleted because they don't further the Xenocide project. I won't censor the language here but the board seems to autocensor some things :) cause I just got censored awhile ago. Also once in awhile you will notice a post by someone else saying edited by gangsta. It might be because I had to do my moderator duties but more likely case will be I tried to quote the person to respond to them but hit the edit key that is right next to the quote key and I don't notice such things. ;) whoever designed this board's software could have done a better job at placing those buttons

Oh yeah Ads for other projects not interested in merging with Xenocide will get deleted too because they're distracting for this project and there is another forum they can post em in.

Update:

Any message asking for a copy of the game will be deleted if you own it or not. Project :) can't be associated with piracy. <9(

yeah :) I learned a long time ago that the actual law means nothing. In the US when a company sues another company the suing company gets an advantage by filing the suit in an area where they are likely to get a judge to rule in their favor. Also, the lower the court level of the judge the more likely he is going to rule based on his opinion vs. the law.

Dunno if it's the right place to request this but,

I think we should subdivise (sp?) the forum a little bit more... we could have, for example, the following sections:

-Storyline

-Graphics

-Gameplay

-Music

-New ideas

-OffTopic...

etc etc... It seem that we have two or three 70+ post going on about the intro and it's more confusing than anything...

maybe a sticky post on each thread with "what's done" "what's being done" and "what needs to be done" :P

Just a suggestion :D

Guest stewart
Believe it or not I brought this very thing up with Micah and Gangsta. The decision reached was to leave things as they are on the grounds that the threads would be all over the place. I didn't press it in the usual fashion that people around here have grown to love about me.

Just an opinion:

You NEED structure. Every project needs some structure, and as far as I have seen , there is very little.

For instance, who is the project leader?

Is there a lead writer, and if not - why?

Dividing threads is a VERY good way of creating structure in a project.

The example given by Xcen is very, very good. It needs an "old topics" - section though...

Right now there is only "The X-com remake" and "Xenocide programmers" - that part of the forum could be easily added to by creating additional forums... I'm sure that someone yout there gets my drift.

stewy gets your drift :) however me and micah see it diffrently with the forum thing. :) As for the groups leader a bunch of people already turned the job down including Me, Stewy, and Red Knight. There sort of a board of directors when it comes to programmers. Now it seems getting a leader is difficult :) cause there soo many opposite strong minded people. Anyway I think we are still doing good considering now that the last arguement about politics had died. :)

I didn't press it in the usual fashion that people around here have grown to love about me.

Yes, we love Stewy. Gangsta's lovable too. And by the way so's Red Knight... (And Warlord, and Margant, though I haven't seen them in quite some time.) Oh, and let's not forget about Micah...

SO WHO IS OUR BELOVED LEADER??? :huh?:

Maybe this is a communist nation or something. You know, we have like, a council who decides on stuff.

And as to who our lead writer is, I think anyone who's gonna step up is gonna chased by a mob of un-likeminded people. :monster: :link: :devilburn: :uzzi: :chicken:

So maybe our council should appoint people. (Smack me if this is bad politics. Bunnies aren't renowned for our institutional skills.)

not a communist nation :) cause :) i'm more the democracy type.. :) More a corprate setting ;) aka board of directors with no CEO yet. Anyway this goes way back to the start of the project. The first couple of programmers that like showed they knowed what they were talking about in discussions became as what is known the core programming team. At that time it was only programmers here and we like all had a strong distrust of having a dictator. We tried to select a leader but everyone turned down the pos. and we came up with rules so that the core members could overturn the leader in case he is a maniac. I think we still need a leader but I think :) that's for another day. Things are getting done right now and that's what matters. Anyway I think right now even non core members are getting equal consideration in their opinons on the design :) such as logo and stuph.

not a communist nation :) cause :) i'm more the democracy type..  :) More a corprate setting ;) aka board of directors with no CEO yet.  Anyway this goes way back to the start of the project.  The first couple of programmers that like showed they knowed what they were talking about in discussions became as what is known the core programming team.  At that time it was only programmers here and we like all had a strong distrust of having a dictator.  We tried to select a leader but everyone turned down the pos. and we came up with rules so that the core members could overturn the leader in case he is a maniac.  I think we still need a leader but I think :) that's for another day.  Things are getting done right now and that's what matters.  Anyway I think right now even non core members are getting equal consideration in their opinons on the design :) such as logo and stuph.

And that's something wrong?

Hmm... but I think you should appoint someone to head stuff like story writing. I mean, with so many opinions out there, we're not gonna be able to make a decent story by the time the game engine's done. (I'm not saying he should get to decide everything, just as a leader-type person to umm... lead.) Maybe that Shadowhawk guy?

I feel that Gansta's vision is to incorporate those things as they become necessary...

Although I like to organize stuff a little more, I think that this is a good way to start and to see how each one of us is getting involved...

Things are not out of hand right now so I guess we can still manage...

Obviously, we'll get in a dead end eventualy but then, we'll have a better knowing of the "active" member so it will be easier to make choices concerning all of this...

I might be wrong though... Gangsta?

(Edit: Please note that, prior to this line, this was my FIRST unedited post! W00T!)

Hmm... yeah, I guess you're right. Everyone's still under observation at this point.

right now im observing horny bunniés on every possible thread :LOL:

Learning the Way of the Bunny is a noble quest indeed. :link:

Guest stewart
Actually, I'm gonna have more free time soon, and could fullfill a lead roll now. I'm knowledgeable in software developement, artwork, music and sound production, and plain old management and have worked in software production for years. I think the scope of this "leader" needs to be defined though, and how does it fit in with the decision making process (whatever that happens to be now) and so on. Then moving through the delegation tree for "departmental" leads we'd have to define and fill those rolls as well. Not to mension figuring out how the organization itself is setup.

The leader thing needs to be filled in eventually but things are working well right now. There is alot of work going on not just logo wise. There also some code structure and style discussions going on behind the scene. The recomended structure part of the code tree I posted in the programming forum. Me and Red Knight also been working on the commenting/documentation style behind the scenes which is also partially posted in the programming forum. I think we finally come up with one that works. The style is heavily influenced by doxygen so when it does come up for further discussion in the programming forum whatever get decided on needs to fully work with doxygen like the current work in progress does. *I've spent a few hours trying diffrent things* Also I think we need to implement a "You snooze you lose" rule into the system because there are right now only 3 active core members working on the project. The rest will come back and use 3 prolly will be inactive sometiem too.. anyway I think it is impossible to get all core members to vote on things if some aren't around atm. The project needs to move or we'll never have a working product.

Guest stewart

I had you and RN totally in mind for the "Engineering" department. Although between the two of you I don't know who'd I'd put where. I think Timil would make a good VP since he has years of professional software experience too.

As for work going on behind the scenes not just being logo wise. Of course but programming part isn't everything either, it's just what's happening right now. And that is only possible at this time because RN came along with a mostly-written Geoscape. Programming is programming, artwork is artwork, they are all EQUAL commonents to a project. A lot of people are or have been quite busy so if this is going to lead to finger pointing lets not go there.

As I said, before a "leader" roll can be assigned, "leader" to be defined first.

to gangsta:

could u plz state the purpose of each forum coz e.g. the line between general and images/sound... forum is a bit fuzzy for me

maybe should have put this into another thread but you can always rearrange it right? :)

• 4 months later...