XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Tftd On Mac?...

Does anyone know of a way to get Tftd working on apples osx. I downloaded the files for tftd and using dosbox have managed to run the setup and install exe's but when i launch the terror.com file the screen just goes blank and the title bar reads program:intro. and does nothing...

can anyone help? been trawling through all the forums and cant seem to find anything that is relative to my plight. Any help wud be awesome :)

It might depend on the version of the game you got.

If it's the DOS version, it should work, I know I was able to run the game on a Mac with OSX.

A bit too slow, though, but working......

So my suggestion is find the DOS version of TFTD. Is EU working, or the same?

I think it is the dos version iv got, the main game is meant to start from the terror.com file right? This is the first time iv used dosbox so pretty new to it all. Wot do u mean by EU?

Micah

EU is Enemy Unknown, the first X-Com, I was wondering if that one works well with DosBox.

Yes, terror.com is the file to start the Dos version game in DosBox.

Did you use the setup.exe? Set it for no sound or music at first, to see if that way works.

Just tried the setup and loaded it with no music or sound effects but the same thing happened, black screen and nothing. I haven't tried EU, dont have the files, is worth trying? Didn't have it when i was a kid so not compelled to play it, plus i heard it's just a watered down Terror from the deep( get it "watered down" oh dear im tired). Anyways, anything else it might be that i can try and change?

Micah

Ok ok, so as it happens it was probably working after all, just the game wudnt start until i hit escape. Sounds effects working too, just one thing left is that all the opening intro only runs like 1 frame every 2 seconds or so,i always remember it being a video or is that my over imaginative childhood nature?! also when the game runs, its not very smoothe, like not a really bad fps. Any ideas?

Micah

If you have the CD-rom version of TFTD, you are (I seem to remember) given the option of a hard drive install, or a CD install (which needs the cd in there in order to play), the HD install takes more space, but since nobody would dream of sticking a huge movie on their hard drives back then, it uses the slideshow intro instead. Since dosbox can (I believe) emulate cd-roms, you might as well just leave the cd permanantly inserted into a virtual drive and thus get the intro (this is what I've done on my machine, although I'm using real dos, not a dosbox, and its running on an old 486).

As for the speed issue, remember that you are emulating an intel processor there, and that does take quite a lot of cpu time. Check activity monitor, if you're constantly at 100% cpu usage then your mac is doing all it can and the best you can do is tweek things, or buy a faster machine. However it may well be that dosbox is set to emulate a slower pc than tftd requires, in which case there should be options somewhere in dosbox to change its speed. Again, I'm not sure where since I dont use dosbox. You may be better off taking questions regarding dosbox performance to dosbox's own forums (I'm sure there are some), as people there would probably be better able to help.