XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Human Psionic Abilities

GreatGold

Hey All -

So I've tried to tie a few things together here. The first is Breuners Origin of Aliens. However, as he is the reigning expert on their origins, if anything I've written doesn't fit in with his ideas, please feel free to change them!

Second, I've tried to create a reasonable and believable history of the discovery and development of human psionic abilities. Admitedly, I've probably left a lot out, but thats why its a concept. PLEASE rip into, and lets make it better. To create this believable history, I've used an idea from the Concept Models thread, involving the aimind device used by aliens on the Heavy Plasma. More specifically, that it requires the most basic of mental abilities, although nothing that a muton could not handle. This is how Xenocide scientist begin the saga...

(if nothing else, its an interesting read )

One last thing, I'm intentionally double-posting this, as I would like non-members to also comment.

Human Psionic Abilities

After the first retrieval of an alien Heavy Plasma, it became apparent to all scientific staff devoted to its research that the target aquisition and aiming system was more complex than any developed by humans. The first breakthrough came, quite unexpectadly, not in the mechanical engineering labs but in the biochemistry/neurology departments. When a scientist used what could only be described at the time as his "will-power", the targeting system came to life. By combining the act of physcically aiming the rifle, and then mentally "thinking" the target into the sights, the accuracy of the rifle was increased four-fold. Here was born the first notion of psionic ability.

Interestinglty enough, when other scientists attempted to reproduce these results, even though they all could aim the device, they could only do so with varrying degrees of accuracy. Those scientists who achieved the greatest level of success were deemed to be "Psionic". It was exceedinly clear that this skill was of great importance, although next to nothing was known about it. Many hypothesized that psychics perhaps utilized a similar form of cognitive ability. How they had it in the first place was impossible to explain, although many theories were presented. It was soon clear that this ability was a residual genetic trait, due to the hereditary nature of psionic ability. Parent with high psionic abilities almost always had children bearing an equal, if not greater, abilty themself. Likewise, the gene and further proteomic relationship for this hereditary ability was deduced and conclusively prooven a number of times. But the origin of this trait was left to ponder, as even the greatest scientific minds of the day were left in the dust.

It was not until a number of Xenocide operatives returning from missions reported aliens "inside their heads" that two and two was put together. By whatever means the aliens aimed their Heavy Plasmas, it was based upon cognitive exertion. Clearly this was at the most basic level, as the mind-control exhibited by select high-ranking aliens was much more developed and controled.

If some aliens could do it with just their minds, but ALL aliens could do it to a minor degree with the apparatus found on the Heavy Plasma, then perhaps Xenicide operatives could also devlop and utilize these Psionic skills if given a similar tool. Without delay, a research file was opened and a group of scientists dedicated to the mystery of mind control. Research soon switched back to the Mechanical Engineering departments.

By reverse engineering the target aquisition device found on the heavy plasma, a very crude (and miraculously working) protype was produced. Unfortunately, these early models were very weak, and easily defeated in even the most minor cognitive duels. It was research into Alien Origins that changed everything.

Perhaps due to the relatively primitive mind of humans, the concept of innate psionic ability was never truly accessed. But when it was discovered that aliens were decendant of Ammonites, the link between the biological and mechanical was made. Here, also, the reason as to why psionic abilities were innate and genetic was revealed. Astonishinly enough, and contrary to every single theory developed about human evolution, humans had developed from a gentically engineered species. Once the extincion of all life had occured, the subsequent natural selection had inturn led to the rise humanity. It was theorized that the reason our ancestors had been given this psionic ability was not for their own use, but so that they were more easly manipulated by their creators. The thousands and thousands of years of evolution between that species and the rise of our own allowed humanity to expand upon the original congintive psionic abilities that the Ammonites intended.

Now, instead of approaching the issue mearly as one of reverse engineering a mechanical component, it was readily apparent that it was a combination of the two which would materialize the answers. The Psi-Amp could only be as strong as the congnitive psionic apptitude of its user, embedded in their genitic code. Furthermore, if the user was supplemented with a cybernetic neuro-implant and continually trained in the details of its use, they could eventually match even the best psionics the aliens had to offer. Likewise, if training was stopped, the ability of the operative to use the Psi-Amp and their implant was reduced dramatically.

Thanks to the indentification of the gene responcible for psionic abilities, it was as easy as running a Polymerase Chain Reaction to idenify individuals with the proper genomic coding for psionic training. These indivduals were then fitted with cybernetic implants, and those who adapted to them best were allowed to continue in the training program. Those with the best skills became the psionics of Xeniocide.

Edited by GreatGold

Pretty good, i just wonder one thing... How the scientists discover the ammonite root in earth?... How they know about the ammonite if they dont come to earth?...

Nice piece of work some minor spelling errors. I had found this tonight cause my brother ask me how TFTD 2 relates with Apoc, and i knew there was a timeline somewhere... To my surprise i found a little lot more, enjoy... XCom Fan Fiction.

Greetings

Red Knight

Hey -

Yeah, that is something I need to work on with Breuner. But, what I was thinking, is that the research results from Alien Origins, as in the original, would make this known. I'm blanking on how Alien Origins was achieved in the orginal, I think it was by capturing a Leader and interrigating him. I figure this would be how they figure out the Ammonite root, and being that a Leader is needed fro Psi skills anyhow, it works out well.

Yeah, sorry bout the spelling mistakes. I just sorta shot this off, trying to get stuff down in a semi-coherant manner. If this idea is liked enough, I'll write up a final version with a lot more detail and background...after I get some feedback hopefully.

Thanks,

Gold

ps - wowsers on the fan stories, thats a huge find...

Hey Gold,

that's a very good text you made up - i like it :D keep it up

i think you are right about the Alien Origin obtainment - rush an alien base, capture the leader, interrogate him, empty the containment center and research it.

Once the extincion of all life had occured, the subsequent natural selection had inturn led to the rise humanity.

what came to my mind was another thing - in Terror from the Deep you had to capture a captain, interrogate them and you'd get another Research line including "The Worst Threat" and "Alien Origins" (i think) - here it's stated that the Aliens came to Earth by an UFO crash some 65 millions years ago, the huge explosion darkening the sky and rotting out the prehistoric world (dinosaurs and the like) - maybe that'd be one of the details for you to include...

The third part to the storyline was going to include something about how the aliens occasionally "prodded" the human species along in their development. The aliens returned to our system like 10,000 years ago and waited for us to get to a good point to be useful, letting the seeds grow. There would be something about the egyptians being so advanced for their time, could even put in Atlantis there, but then they went and sunk their country...

It could be determined that the Ammonites are from earth due to genetic testing, the genome project could have been expanded to include other animals and a partial match is made with aquatic DNA. Our own DNA would be found as well, since the "prodding" of the aliens took the form of DNA manipulation and we now have some of their DNA in us. The aliens visited from time to time to guide things where they wanted them to go.

Perhaps rather than say the weapon required psi power per say, it required a meditative state of mind to 'tune in' to the weapon. Like alpha waves or something like that are needed to power the weapon. That leads the scientists to research things in that realm, and when the mind power of the aliens becomes apparent we figure out how to do it as well. Otherwise the weapon's accuracy would be expected to tie into the users psi rating.

It could be that the DNA implants we received over the years of prodding is what gives us this ability now, and it's just started manifesting itself. There was a lot of military testing during the cold war to see if psychics could spy on the other side. Perhaps the spark of real psychic powers in the 50s warned the aliens that we were ready to control, and the ufo sightings began as they started taking samples to see how much the talent was spreading. It became apparent that the talent was slow to develop, but now after several generations we all have some latent talent in us. So the aliens decide it's time to take control.

Hey -

Aight, thanx for the info. I just got home from college today, so it will be a few days till im settled in and able to write much, but I'll add some things as soon as I get the chance :D .

Gold

I was writing some of part three yesterday, and was going to explain it as testing to see if other animals could harbor psi talents as well. A large variety of animals were tested, we just didn't notice since most were wild and the mutilation was taken as predators. Only recently did the aliens start looking at domesticated creatures, hoping the psi talents that humans were showing would somehow increase the talents of nearby animals. Ammonite DNA is what gives us psi power, the aliens have been inserting it over the years so we could develop the power. Without it, the Overmind isn't able to control us, psi control requires psi ability in the victim. I'll try to get it worked out some more and post it here for everybody to dissect. :D

sort of a lame idea for psi, but i kinda hate holding the psi amp because heavy plasma becomes less useful, i usually have my psi people in the ship with a guard. but. possibly a good idea is that you could put some sort of psi amp grafted into you. like you would research somehow smaller yet as powerful psi amps. like how the first computers were huge and got smaller, like that. and the surgery could be performed on soldiers, but the recovery would be something like 30 days or so? and where would it be put into?

sort of a lame idea for psi, but i kinda hate holding the psi amp because heavy plasma becomes less useful, i usually have my psi people in the ship with a guard.  but.  possibly a good idea is that you could put some sort of psi amp grafted into you.  like you would research somehow smaller yet as powerful psi amps.  like how the first computers were huge and got smaller, like that.  and the surgery could be performed on soldiers, but the recovery would be something like 30 days or so?  and where would it be put into?

The psi amp was desinged as a seperate item for game balance issues. Think about it. If it were an implant what would stop the player from 'implanting' every one of their troops and then walk around armed to the teeth without penalty. It'd be good for a post v1.0 idea but it is something that'd need playtesting for balance.

I think most people have their elite psi-operatives that just sit in the back of the transport craft with an armed guard on overwatch. I usually have my highest rated psi-op who is usually my commander sat at the back behind two high reaction operatives. I also usually have my blaster operative sat in the back somewhere too and rain death on the aliens. Heh, nothing like spotting with my psi-ops, mind controlling them and sending them to find their mates. Once found, silver football delivered first class. :devillaugh:

Maybe theres some chemical in the parts of mutilated cattle that enhances psi abilities or something?

Hehe...yeah, or maybe the aliens are sick bastards. :happybanana:

I said it about the storyline, that the aliens should be a little less galactically based and omnipotent, and more dirty and mean, but I didn't really offer any constructive suggestions. How about this - instead of being sent back to earth on the orders of a terrific, alien god-mind of infinite power and magnitude, the Ammonites escape (they could have "liberated" some number of the other races, too), or they think they escape, but one of their number has been influenced, genetically or otherwise, and soon becomes a smaller version of the overmind - i.e. the big brain on mars. It controls the Ammonites escaping back to earth, but is independent from the big intergalactic evil, so when the humans start kicking mini-overmind's donkey, it can't call in reinforcements. Also, it's twisted and insane after its rebirth as a huge brain thingy, so it has sick experiments done on cattle and people because it's just so very evil. And maybe it wants to incorporate their organs into its alien menagerie, or something.

I dunno. I just think the aliens in this story are too omnipotent to be beaten by a bunch of earthlings in squads of fourteen. They need to be a little more gritty.

Yeah, remote viewing was use byt he US and Russia to try and spy on each other. I like the idea of the aliens escaping back to earth, and maybe they find there are too many humans with just enough tech for the aliens to just overwhelm them. So the aliens make the temp base on mars and start building up their power base on earth.

In response to Deimos:

Regarding cattle mutilations, I've seen published material in the UFOlogy community stating that the amniotic(?) fluid in a cow's uterus is something like 96% identical in it's chemical make-up to that of humans, and it has been postulated that one reason for the cattle mutilations (which practically ALWAYS include removal of the reprodictive organs) is to harvest material for breeding human-alien "cross-breeds" in vast test-tube-baby embryo farms.

I know that's a mind-bender, but the idea of space creatures doing weird surgical procedures on livestock is pretty weird in itself! And it ties in with the not-inconsiderable number of reports of women claiming to have had fetuses implanted during an abduction and then removed in the late stages of pregnancy...

So there's another reason to blast the buggers! :rock:

Guest Jim69

Yeah, I was busting UFO 2day and it said that they use dead livestock and humans, crush them into liquid and inject them :wacko:

Maybe they need to jack up some cow embryo's to use psi? :o

I like the cow uterus idea! Sick and twisted, something to make the player go, "yuck! nasty bit-ches!" Even cooler/sicker, we could make 3D models for the alien bases of big water tanks that have the uteruses (uteri?) in them, along with mutant babies supported ala Matrix feed tubes... sick and disgusting, as evil aliens should be! :devillaugh:

Hehe -

Some really great ideas here. I'm gonna go incorporate a few of them now :D . At least the humans ones.

I think we are really gettting some good "Alien Psionic Abilities" stuff going, so that may be the next subject to get written up. If anyone wants to take a stab at it, let me know so that I don't start it in a day or two and find out someone else already has an amazing draft going!

Keep em coming!

Gold

This is not so original, but i think the aliens are napping cows, to feed the army of reapers -_- .

"A caw a day, keeps the X-com away"

Edited by mikker

Mikker -

That line is DEFINATELY going in the X-Net final write-up...

"Early scientists joked, perhaps not knowing how right they were, that aliens abducted cows not for experimentation, but for feeding of their lower-life forms such as Chrysallids. After all, they surmized, "A cow a day keeps Xenocide away."

:wink:

Gold

LOL! Nice quote, and makes sense. You could beat a cow to death with a wiffle ball bat and it would let you (got to love South Park). "after the embarrasing first trip for reaper food, the sectoids learned to collect cows without the horns... they were much easier to handle."

They could also being studying the cows' 3 stomachs, to find out if they could eat grass... :puke: Probably not.

Regarding cattle mutilations, I've seen published material in the UFOlogy community stating that the amniotic(?) fluid...

...but the idea of space creatures doing weird surgical procedures on livestock is pretty weird in itself! And it ties in with the not-inconsiderable number of reports of women claiming to have had fetuses implanted during an abduction and then removed in the late stages of pregnancy...

So there's another reason to blast the buggers! :rock:

When I've thought about why would aliens abduct people and livestock I came to the conclusion that if these aliens are intelligent they'll look at life on this planet as we do them - alien. So they're studying and doing these tests in the same way that we'd do tests on virii or bacteria. When I was a school we did disection of frogs and rats and eyeballs to see how they worked, it'd make sense that these aliens are doing the same.

I also thought well why if they are intelligent, why don't they come down and talk to us but I kept going back to the fact that we are just as alien to them as they are to us. They'd have no idea about our civilisation, language, culture, art and everything else we hold dear as humans. To them we could be interestingly complex but they don't understand our references or even that the frightened screams and looks of terror they'd see.

Once they've abducted someone, I'd say they studying in the same way we would do if we found something completley new. To them the screaming and pleading of the abductee could just be interpreted no differently that the moo of a cow. It's just the noises that these two legged creatures make.

But hey who knows. I agree that if the little Grey ones are impregnating our women folk we should pick up the shotguns and have us a grey barbeque :)

i have a few declassified documents and stuff like that relating to cold war testing and mind control if you'd like them. Id probably be able to find others that are related to weapons testing as well :rock:

Edit: Ufo Declassied doc about sightings i'll post up soon for you to get an idea

Wow. That's friggin awesome. Even if it's not a genuine military document, it's an excellent source for cool extraneous xenocide stuff. This should be the kind of thing the player sees in the first few weeks. If you've got more, keep it coming. :D

As for cows, yet another possible reason for mutilating them: The human race is far more than humanity itself. If we were removed from our technology, there would be mass starvation. Therefore, it's necessary to not only study humans, but human science, society, and agriculture. Our agricultural inventions include highly derived food sources, animals and plants modified over thousands of years by human influence, such as corn, rice, chickens, and cows. Crop circles could be a sample of human agriculture in its original state, as could cattle mutliations. That's why they don't mutilate deer, or cut circles in grasslands. Although I like the amniotic fluid explanation, too, that's twisted. :devillaugh:

Great gold,

i was thinking that the blaster bomb would be more likely the weapon described in your text, rather than the plasma weapons. maybe we can incorporate that into game play that you need a guy with high PSI ability to use the Launcher. using someone with low psi will increase the chances of the bomb going astray. just a thought.

Very good stuff coming here; but I just don't see the point in psi. I have never used it in any game, although the only one I have really played is Apoc, I have nearly finished it on very easy mode :unsure: without touching it. Indeed, the first thing I do is raze the psi-lab to the ground. :D Even when when psi-morphs start appearing (if you dont have Apoc, think Etherals on steroids) I just let them have one or two of my men, and fire about 20 or 30 disruptor cannons at them; I have never lost a man to any alien, psi or otherwise. Although, I have to admit the (sludge?) looking aliens are a pain. :hammer: Annnnyway, getting back to the point; why do we need psi? In aliens or anything else?

psi plays a big part in xcom, you cant stop the aliens from using it (no psi labs to raze :) ) and it was a big help for the good guys... too big a help really, when i got good i only used it to panic the aliens rather than control them. unless i was getting whooped. or it was really funny :devillaugh:

but im pretty sure i read somewhere that its effectiveness is being lessend so that should be ok

Hey -

Yes, we will be adding more balance to the Psi aspect. It was rather powerful, to the point of being ridiculous later in the game. So don't worry :D . If your really curious, do a search for it, and there is a rather detailed thread somewhere detailing the balances.

@dipstick

Playing a game with no Psi can really be difficult. Because as you progress, so do the aliens. And by the time a year has passed, you'd be if-you-see-Keighed without it.

@warhamster

I like that idea a lot. It would make more sense, as commanders and leaders have a better psi capacity. Whn I have the time to redoe this entry, I'll most likely incoperate that idea.

Gold

An attempt to kill two birds with one stone. If we can impliment the heavy weapons for two hands only rule, psi people will either have to choose whether they wanna mind control or vaporize someone. Aliens will have an advantage because they don't need psi amps, but that'll mean only their head honchos can carry launchers.

Problem is that the poor mutons, who have absolutely no psi capabilties will be launcher-less. Maybe we can give them a little something extra in exchange.

Maybe we can give them a little something extra in exchange.

LIke the ablitity to take four(4) Heavy Plasma hits to the chest, and not even get a dent... :wink: I'm just playing, you are correct that they would need a fair balance.

Gold

nice text GreatGold. and warhamster, great idea with the blaster launcher thing. for the better aim on Heavy plasma thing. this would actually be a cool feature and it would definately make me more willing to bring my psi soldiers out from the back of the ship ( i never thought ide see the day) so, would the aim stack with normal aim? or would the aim for heavy plasmas simly rely on psi? maybe we could have it that normal aim is reduced. so if he has 70 aim for HP's it would only count as 20 and the rest would be for psi? and would the aim for psi be based on skill or str? also, if we reduced the aim on it i think people may use the rifles more. for me, i never used anything but the HP's because the aim difference doesnt matter and i like the extra power, but if it means that some of the soldiers will suck with it, i guess i would use the plasma rifle with them.

and i think this was discussed in the other place you posted this ( i think) that people with strong psi would be more seceptable (sp) to alien psi attacks. hmm, would this be vice versa also? anyway, it would maybe stop me from dumping anybody with psi lower than 70.

• 5 weeks later...

Hmmm... I'm a little skeptical about psi having any connection with plasma weapons. This would again mean that the mutons, floaters, and snakemen will be unable to use these weapons.

Here are some proposals.

1) Plasma has nothing to do with psi. Research on plasma weapons includes how to modify it's trigger mechansim to human use. I don't know how that will go.

2) We should create a new explosive type of weapon for non-psi races. something on the lines of auto cannon, cannon, and rocket launcher.

3) Blaster Launchers are strictly for psi capable users only. Maybe a minimum psi strength of 50.

Hmmm... I'm a little skeptical about psi having any connection with plasma weapons. This would again mean that the mutons, floaters, and snakemen will be unable to use these weapons.

I see where you are coming from, but i think we just need to work our way around this. I like the idea that its linked with psi, but maybe its just not required? Maybe we argue that you only need a very little psi. I mean, using a little psi to help use a gun is much easier than using psi to control someone's mind. Guns dont put up any resistance.

1) Plasma has nothing to do with psi. Research on plasma weapons includes how to modify it's trigger mechansim to human use. I don't know how that will go.

I dont like this. I say we stick with it and use something as I mentioned above.

2) We should create a new explosive type of weapon for non-psi races. something on the lines of auto cannon, cannon, and rocket launcher.

If this is regarding the blaster launcher then yes, i see this is possible. Perhaps an alien grenade launcher type thing?

3) Blaster Launchers are strictly for psi capable users only. Maybe a minimum psi strength of 50.

I like this idea a lot. I have always wondered how soldiers actually use the blaster launcher (how long would it actually take to manually program in coordinates?!) and i think it would be good to limit it a little.

I agree with miceless on most of this stuff - one exception. I don't like the limit on the blaster launcher. Seems like it should just be woefully inaccurate, which, of course, could be worse than a limit. :devilburn: Say Accuracy IS psi, and make it really careen around if you're not psychic, like up and down and curly-q's and zooming like a bottle rocket and whack you're dead.

Fred, I actually really like that idea. It would make the Blasters a balanced weapon. I suppose it could have maybe 5 waypoints to begin, regardless of Pis ability, and as your Psi gets stronger, as you suggested, waypoints could be added.

Gold

I think you could lower that initial amount a bit, I think it's a bit much if you have absolutely no psi-capability. Besides, with 5 waypoints there's already a lot you can do. What would you give to those with 100 psi? 50 waypoints? (oh yeah, I can image it myself already :devillaugh: )

Edit: Hmmm... Pis ability... I don't think I'll ask what that one is :whatwhat:

Maybe it has to do with your big c*** though :naughty: (people that don't know about that one, check here, at the bottom of the page)

Edited by j'ordos

Demich -

A good question. Although, the Fusion Ball Launcher Hovertank is not a Blaster Launcher per-se, being that it is not a direct alien technology. Therefore, we could simply explain that it has been engineered to not use Psi. Or something to that effect.

@J'ordos

LOL. I didnt notice that typo till now. I'll leave it though... with my big dick and all :P

Gold

Well, according to the CTD the tanks are controlled by an operative in the field (or is that not any more so? I'll have to check that again...), so maybe the controller's psi would be used for aiming the blaster bombs. For gaming purposes, the operative with the highest psi-skill on the battlefield could be the one firing with the tank, so if your best psi-dude has a rating of 10... bummer, if he has 100... :devillaugh:

The problem with the blaster bombs IMO is that it would take far longer than the soldiers have to program the waypoints. Thats why I like the idea of psi.

The HWP is a human version of the weapon, so one can assume there are some slight modifications. I had always thought the HWPs were AI controlled, not remote, but that doesnt matter.

If it is AI, then you could say that the AI computers are able to program waypoints in a fraction of a second, so no psi is needed at all.

If its remote controlled then I suppose you could choose. You could either do something like j'ordos just said, or you could use the AI idea above.

But isnt a whole turn only four seconds or something (or is it 10?) Thats not a lot of time to be programming complicated coordiantes.

It depends on how you envisage them doing the programming I suppose.

Hmmm... that's a compromise, and a good one at that. PSI-less units could use blaster launchers but only as a shoot forward only weapon. But when used by a PSI-capable unit, it gains some sort of capability for way points. I don't know how we'll formulate that, but I do believe it's workable.

yeah, it would also stop stuff like being inside the skyranger, fireing a missle across 6 corners before hitting a sectoid standing on the opposite side of the map.