XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Issue #163: CTD - Motion Sensor

Almost done, nevertheless...

blue for comment

red for deletions

[...]

This device consists of state-of-the art parts. Sure it does. It is X-Corps equipment! :P I feel, that this sentence should be merged with the following sentences, or placed somewhere else. It's a bad sentence to start this §.

Its The most important part (...device, thing, whatever. maybe "signal" or "information -source") one is the Receiver module, a complex internal structure that captures EM Radiation and Ultrasound and analyzes both their intensity as well as polarization angle (whenever applicable). A Terahertz Radiation emitter provides the ability of more precise detection in a larger range. In addition, an InfraSense™ module detects infrasound and thus - like seismic vibrations, which proves extremely useful whenever obstacles block other kinds of input. Then,All data is sent streamed? to the Computer module that processes the information. An Organic Light Emitting Diode (OLED) screen guarantees clear display and power-saving operation. A high-capacitance lithium battery provides energy for five hours of endless operation. Additionally, a kinetic dynamo takes advantage of the soldier’s movement and converts kinetic energy into electricity, which charges the battery.

As soon as the Receiver detects motion, it directs the T-Ray emitter to send a powerful radiation beam in the vicinity of the possible target to obtain more precise readings. Terahertz radiation, popularly called "T-Rays", can penetrate a wide variety of non-conducting materials like clothing, paper, cardboard, wood, masonry, plastic and ceramics without much absorption, so information such as angle, shape, mass and velocity can be extrapolated with much higher precision than when using exclusively EM radiation. Wahh! T-Rays are EM radiation! You want to say, the adding of the EM (T-Ray) Module allows more precise detection then just with the US or IS modules, I know, but it doesn't read that way. The improvement comes from the fact that T-Rays have higher frequency, please rephrase this sentence. "the improvement comes from" sounds really odd and the accuracy is proportional with the frequency. Maybe you could merge it... like: "Using high frequency waves - like T-Rays, allows a more accurate measurement... Alas, due to the technical limitations of the device, we are unable to utilize most of this information. Nevertheless, this fact does not demote the T-Rays module, which is still an important input feed. haha... this sounds like you - you kafros - are defending your T-Ray module!  :P Maybe think of a rephrasing?

[...]

Close to completion! =b

---Edit---

Maybe I should've explained the colors at once... :P

Edited by Mad

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OMFG

Leave my cute T-RAY module alone!!! :ar15: 

Does it really sound that bad??? :D

Of course T-Rays are a kind of EM radiation, I just tried to show why this special frequency band is so... special :P.

Ok, it seems I will rephrase the whole paragraph.

Indeed, that "state of the art" sentence bothered me very much. I will just delete it ^_^

Edited by kafros

MOTION SENSOR

X-Net://Pegasus.net/Equipment/Motion Sensor

The Motion Sensor is a portable device designed to automatically collect information from the surrounding area, analyze it and provide a visual representation of moving bodies. Its most important component is the Receiver module, a complex internal structure that captures EM Radiation and Ultrasound and analyzes both their intensity as well as polarization angle (whenever applicable). A Terahertz Radiation emitter-receiver module provides the ability of more precise detection in a larger range. In addition, an InfraSense™ module detects infrasound, like seismic vibrations, which proves extremely useful whenever obstacles block other kinds of input. All data is streamed to the Computer module that processes the information. An Organic Light Emitting Diode (OLED) screen guarantees clear display and power-saving operation. A high-capacitance lithium battery provides energy for five hours of endless operation. Additionally, a kinetic dynamo takes advantage of the soldier’s movement and converts kinetic energy into electricity, which charges the battery.

As soon as the receiver detects motion, it directs the T-Ray emitter to send a powerful radiation beam in the vicinity of the possible target to obtain more precise readings. Terahertz radiation, popularly called "T-Rays", can penetrate a wide variety of non-conducting materials like clothing, paper, cardboard, wood, masonry, plastic and ceramics without much absorption, so information such as angle, shape, mass and velocity can be extrapolated with much higher precision than with lower bands of EM radiation. By using these high frequencies, measurements of superior accuracy are achieved. The use of T-Ray modules is an important asset of the unit, even though its computational ability is not capable of utilizing all possible information.

Whenever obstacles interrupt the Receiver’s detection ability and T-Rays are useless due to absorption, the InfraSense™ module supports the detection automation. This module is an optimized seismic sensor designed for military use. Extrapolation of the seismic source reveals if it is a moving body or a periodic source. It is sensitive enough to pick up people moving at up to 50m and vehicles up to 150m away. The built-in software can be calibrated to filter-out annoyances like critter movement, wind etc. and is easily updated.

The generated images are subtracted from data obtained by previous pulses. Thus, the device accurately detects the position of any moving mass in the immediate vicinity of the user, revealing the presence of any potential incoming attacker and allowing a far better response against such threats. Although this model accommodates an array of optimized CELL processors, the processing power of this miniaturized portable computer is still challenged by the huge amount of data to be processed, making it impractical to obtain full spectrum images or FOF (Friend-Or-Foe) recognition. Detecting heartbeats or circulating blood is still beyond the sensitivity of the detector. Stationary enemies will not be revealed, thus extreme caution is to be taken when advancing. Nevertheless, large body movements are observed accurately on its small display as bright dots on a darker background in order to allow simple readings and eliminate confusion.

The X-Corps tactical board recommends the use of the Motion sensor device. The location of the enemy is a key-knowledge to success and will definitely improve the odds of X-Corps operatives on the battlefield. In order to provide our platoons with this valuable support, the manufacturing costs for this device were held to a minimum.

“Who wants to play hide and seek?”

- Rookie John Adams

Edited by kafros

I like the fluff, but I think

- Rookie John Adams

is funnier. Or maybe is just me.

The latest text is pretty good, but it's rather hard to concentrate on it sometimes. Or maybe it's just me again.

I have a question, if the ultrasounds are detected, why hearts of motionless targets don't give any signal?

I like the fluff, but I think

- Rookie John Adams

is funnier. Or maybe is just me.

The latest text is pretty good, but it's rather hard to concentrate on it sometimes. Or maybe it's just me again.

I have a question, if the ultrasounds are detected, why hearts of motionless targets don't give any signal?

This motion sensor is a handheld device. Thus, its ultrasound signal isn't that strong. In addition, ultrasound is reflected when coming in contact with solid surfaces.

As far as I know, RL use of ultrasound in medical applications only works when the ultrasound emmiter is in touch with the body, i.e. the routine heart examination done with ultrasound :). In addition, your doctor puts a gel on you in order to "aid" the waves through their "journey" in your body and back.

Or am I wrong? :S

This motion sensor is a handheld device. Thus, its ultrasound signal isn't that strong. In addition, ultrasound is reflected when coming in contact with solid surfaces.

As far as I know, RL use of ultrasound in medical applications only works when the ultrasound emmiter is in touch with the body, i.e. the routine heart examination done with ultrasound :). In addition, your doctor puts a gel on you in order to "aid" the waves through their "journey" in your body and back.

Or am I wrong? :S

Hi, Kafros, nice to see you :)

But aliens behind 4 walls at 6-7 metres are detected without any trouble, and walls are solid surfaces.

And I'm talking about the alien that awaits just behind you less than a meter away, its heart should be quite noisy I assume.

I know it's hard to make every aspect perfect, since we're talking about a device not invented yet.

But I was wondering if you could make it a more easy read, something more edible to the less scientific minds.

I think that gel helps transmission and reduces reflection of the incoming ultrasounds (by having about the same characteristics as skin I presume)

Sry Dan, was in a haste during my previous post :(.

Long time no see! How are you? ^_^

I think that gel helps transmission and reduces reflection of the incoming ultrasounds (by having about the same characteristics as skin I presume)
Actually, that's what I had in mind, but I couldn't express myself...

I know it's hard to make every aspect perfect, since we're talking about a device not invented yet.

But I was wondering if you could make it a more easy read, something more edible to the less scientific minds.

Indeed, although I think we try to be as much realistic as we can

But aliens behind 4 walls at 6-7 metres are detected without any trouble, and walls are solid surfaces.

And I'm talking about the alien that awaits just behind you less than a meter away, its heart should be quite noisy I assume.

TWS (Through the Wall Surveillance) works via infrasound.

In addition, the "not enought MIPS" explanation is a fast yet realistic one IMHO. What wrong in your POV? :)

just dropping by...

ultrasound has troubles crossing material boundaries, especially when the density gradient is high. the waves are reflected on solid-to-gas boundaries (that's why you can do an ultrasound of the kidneys, but not of the lungs). that means you could easily detect aliens under water, but through air (and especially through walls and air) would be almost impossible.

why did we drop the infrasound idea? infrasound travels through different materialy and material boundaries much easier, afaik.

why did we drop the infrasound idea? infrasound travels through different materialy and material boundaries much easier, afaik.

Infrasound idea wasn't dropped. It's used for TWS now.

Addressing the US issue: US can be used for precise measuring of the distance to the next obstacle. For this special couppling modules are used, which are built like a sandwich featuring decreasing "density" from the US source to the media (read: air). (This is the same principle as in medical US use. The gel used has a "density" right between the emitters density and the skin.)

Detection of heartbeats via US might be possible but is pretty complicated, since you would have to measure the movement of the chest for this. For Heartbeat detection "normal" sound or Infrasound would fit better.

---Edit---

Nevertheless, I think this CT is done. Maybe alter the fluff. I honestly don't know.

Edited by Mad

So, the latest version with minor updates.

MOTION SENSOR

The Motion Sensor is a portable device designed to automatically collect information from the surrounding area, analyze it and provide a visual representation of moving bodies. Its most important component is the Receiver module, a complex internal structure that captures EM Radiation and Ultrasound and analyzes both their intensity as well as polarization angle (whenever applicable). A Terahertz Radiation emitter-receiver module provides the ability of more precise detection in a larger range. In addition, an InfraSense™ module detects infrasound, like seismic vibrations, which proves extremely useful whenever obstacles block other kinds of input. All data is streamed to the Computer module that processes the information. An Organic Light Emitting Diode (OLED) screen guarantees clear display and power-saving operation. A high-capacitance lithium battery provides energy for five hours of endless operation. Additionally, a kinetic dynamo takes advantage of the soldier’s movement and converts kinetic energy into electricity, which charges the battery.

As soon as the receiver detects motion, it directs the T-Ray emitter to send a powerful radiation beam in the vicinity of the possible target to obtain more precise readings. Terahertz radiation, popularly called "T-Rays", can penetrate a wide variety of non-conducting materials like clothing, paper, cardboard, wood, masonry, plastic and ceramics without much absorption, so information such as angle, shape, mass and velocity can be extrapolated with much higher precision than with lower bands of EM radiation. By using these high frequencies, measurements of superior accuracy are achieved. The use of T-Ray modules is an important asset of the unit, even though its computational ability is not capable of utilizing all possible information.

Whenever obstacles interrupt the Receiver’s detection ability and T-Rays are useless due to absorption, the InfraSense™ module supports the detection automation. This module is an optimized seismic sensor designed for military use. Extrapolation of the seismic source reveals if it is a moving body or a periodic source. It is sensitive enough to pick up people moving at up to 50m and vehicles up to 150m away. The built-in software can be calibrated to filter-out annoyances like critter movement, wind etc. and is easily updated.

The generated images are subtracted from data obtained by previous pulses. Thus, the device accurately detects the position of any moving mass in the immediate vicinity of the user, revealing the presence of any potential incoming attacker and allowing a far better response against such threats. Although this model accommodates an array of optimized CELL processors, the processing power of this miniaturized portable computer is still challenged by the huge amount of data to be processed, making it impractical to obtain full spectrum images or FOF (Friend-Or-Foe) recognition. Detecting heartbeats or circulating blood is still beyond the sensitivity of the detector. Stationary enemies will not be revealed, thus extreme caution is to be taken when advancing. Nevertheless, large body movements are observed accurately on its small display as bright dots on a darker background in order to allow simple readings and eliminate confusion.

The X-Corps tactical board recommends the use of the Motion sensor device. The location of the enemy is a key-knowledge to success and will definitely improve the odds of X-Corps operatives on the battlefield. In order to provide our platoons with this valuable support, the manufacturing costs for this device were held to a minimum.

- Rookie John Adams

Looks good, but this paragraph:

Only makes the text more complicated and doesn't seem to be that important. Also, the motion sensor will not give the player mass or velocity of a target, and not shape either.

I gave it a quick reading so I may have missed something, if it's important, please tell me why, at first sight it does not.

IMO, it's doesn't make it more complicated. In addition, it is a wonderful summary of what will come in the next paragraphs.

I think you missed the most important part:

Although this model accommodates an array of optimized CELL processors, the processing power of this miniaturized portable computer is still challenged by the huge amount of data to be processed, making it impractical to obtain full spectrum images or FOF (Friend-Or-Foe) recognition. Detecting heartbeats or circulating blood is still beyond the sensitivity of the detector. Stationary enemies will not be revealed, thus extreme caution is to be taken when advancing. Nevertheless, large body movements are observed accurately on its small display as bright dots on a darker background in order to allow simple readings and eliminate confusion.

The only possible flaw I currently see is the "background" stuff... The layer where the dots are drawn. Is it needed to give information about it? :P

Right now the text is very complicated, I know you guys love this stuff and doesn't seem to you, but to the average player it will not. I have a moderately decent level of physics, and yet it doesn't read easy for me, in fact, it reads heavy. I'm not saying it's not realistic or cool, but it's heavy reading, and if something can be removed in order to simplify it, it should. Currently I don't have the time or state of mind to read this carefully, so I'll wait a bit, but that paragraph seems unnecessary to me.

VERY???

So, why did we talk about the Neudar anyway?!?!?!

"A wonderous device that helps us track UFOs. It detects neutrino particles released by Alien vessels.

"

Something the average Joe can understand, better? <_>

-------

Edit: Aaaaaaaaahhh... Ok, I will try to simplify it... But please, I can't remove much physics from the Motion sensor, otherwise there is no use of an explanation at all. I probably agree on rephrasing, and that's what I will first try to do. Same with the Neudar.

What do others think? (Except Mad of course :P)

Edited by kafros

MOTION SENSOR

The Motion Sensor is a portable device designed to aid our soldiers in their tactics. It provides a visual background representation of the battlefield and the location of moving objects. It consists of various parts, namely a Receiver module, a Terahertz emitter-receiver, an InfraSense™ module, its computational matrix and the visual display.

The Receiver is actually an electromagnetic radiation and ultrasound detector. It captures the according waves (Electromagnetic or sonic ones) and collects information about their intensity. As soon as the receiver detects motion, it directs the T-Ray emitter to send a powerful radiation beam near the possible target in order to obtain more precise readings. Terahertz radiation, popularly called "T-Rays", can penetrate a wide variety of non-conducting materials like clothing, paper, cardboard, wood, masonry, plastic and ceramics without much absorption. So, measurements of adequate accuracy and larger range are achieved than with lower bands of EM radiation. Whenever obstacles such as solid walls interrupt the detection, the InfraSense™ module supports the sensor’s automation. This module is an optimized seismic sensor designed for military use. Extrapolation of the seismic vibrations reveals if it is a moving body or a periodic source. It is sensitive enough to pick up people moving at up to 50m and vehicles up to 150m away. The built-in software can be calibrated to filter-out annoyances like critter movement and wind.

Afterwards, all data is streamed to the computer that processes the information. Its processing power of this miniaturized portable computer is still challenged by the huge amount of data to be processed, making it impractical to obtain full spectrum images or Friend-Or-Foe recognition. Therefore, heartbeat detection is beyond the sensitivity of the detector. The device accurately detects the position of any moving mass in the immediate vicinity of the user, revealing the presence of any potential incoming attacker, although stationary enemies are not revealed.

An OLED screen guarantees clear display and power-saving operation. Before each mission, a satellite image of the battlefield area is uploaded on the device and serves as background. Large body movements are observed accurately on the small display as bright dots on a darker background in order to allow simple readings and eliminate confusion.

A high-capacitance lithium battery provides energy for five hours of endless operation. Additionally, a kinetic dynamo takes advantage of the soldier’s movement and converts kinetic energy into electricity, which charges the battery.

- Rookie John Adams

I hope you like this one, because I don't really like it. I think that it reads far easier (that's a good thing actually), but it's like feeding cute hugging scenes to a hardcore BSDM maniac... A bit weird at least <_>

VERY???

So, why did we talk about the Neudar anyway?!?!?!

"A wonderous device that helps us track UFOs. It detects neutrino particles released by Alien vessels.

<1 or maybe 2 more paragraphs>"

Something the average Joe can understand, better? <_<

-------

Edit: Aaaaaaaaahhh... Ok, I will try to simplify it... But please, I can't remove much physics from the Motion sensor, otherwise there is no use of an explanation at all. I probably agree on rephrasing, and that's what I will first try to do. Same with the Neudar.

What do others think? (Except Mad of course :P)

I just suggested the single removal of what seems to be a redundant paragraph, I asked you to explain why it was vital, but you didn't.

And I've said it a thousand times, the texts have to be easily read, I already posted in the NEUDAR text that you were going overboard; if you want to make it ubercomplicated, do so, but keep in mind that not everyone will find it easy (I don't, for instance, I've always had a hard time with physics), and then I'd have to simplify it myself in proofreading; I'm merely asking you to simplify it yourself, thing you can do pretty well.

Right now the text is very complicated, I know you guys love this stuff and doesn't seem to you, but to the average player it will not. I have a moderately decent level of physics, and yet it doesn't read easy for me, in fact, it reads heavy. I'm not saying it's not realistic or cool, but it's heavy reading, and if something can be removed in order to simplify it, it should. Currently I don't have the time or state of mind to read this carefully, so I'll wait a bit, but that paragraph seems unnecessary to me.

I just suggested the single removal of what seems to be a redundant paragraph, I asked you to explain why it was vital, but you didn't.d
You didn't ask me to explain why it was vital. You just noticed that it reads heavy and that that paragraph seems unvecessary to you.

And I've said it a thousan times, the texts have to be easily read, I already posted in the NEUDAR text that you were going overboard; if you want to make it ubercomplicated, do so, but keep in mind that not everyone will find it easy (I don't, for instance, I've always had a hard time with physics), and then I'd have to simplify it myself in proofreading; I'm merely asking you to simplify it yourself, thing you can do pretty well.

I did in my previous post (edit: post #117). It's there, for your eyes only, to read (,enjoy?) and comment. Edited by kafros

I just suggested the single removal of what seems to be a redundant paragraph, I asked you to explain why it was vital, but you didn't.d
You didn't ask me to explain why it was vital. You just noticed that it reads heavy and that that paragraph seems unvecessary to you.

If I say it is, and you don't think it is, it's implied that you either explain your point of view or refuse to do it therefore acknowledging mine.

And I've said it a thousan times, the texts have to be easily read, I already posted in the NEUDAR text that you were going overboard; if you want to make it ubercomplicated, do so, but keep in mind that not everyone will find it easy (I don't, for instance, I've always had a hard time with physics), and then I'd have to simplify it myself in proofreading; I'm merely asking you to simplify it yourself, thing you can do pretty well.

I did in my previous post (edit: post #117). It's there, for your eyes only, to read (,enjoy?) and comment.

Yes, but I didn't read that, I was replying to your post.

Wow, this thread is pretty active :)

I guess everyone will begin to shoot me if I ask why using sound technology in this device?

I'm reffering to infrasounds, ultrasounds, human hearing range sounds, all suffer from various problems in non-homogenous spaces, like refractions, reflections, difractions which makes detection unreliable.

I agree it's working underwater, since water is pretty homogenous, but all this has to work in a building full of walls of various thickness, and work reliably.

I fully agree with EM radiation of various wavelengths, since many materials are transparent to a wavelength or another, but sound?

And now shoot me

P.S. I forgot to mention that the last proposed text is nice, reads easier than previous one

Edited by dan2

I guess everyone will begin to shoot me if I ask why using sound technology in this device?

No shooting Dan, don't worry :).

Wow, this thread is pretty active :)
Indeed... I hope that's a good thing

I'm reffering to infrasounds, ultrasounds, human hearing range sounds, all suffer from various problems in non-homogenous spaces, like refractions, reflections, difractions which makes detection unreliable. I agree it's working underwater, since water is pretty homogenous, but all this has to work in a building full of walls of various thickness, and work reliably.I fully agree with EM radiation of various wavelengths, since many materials are transparent to a wavelength or another, but sound?
Yes, that's why it is used only for basic detection (the text implies that it's used in "open" spaces). For harder stuff (walls etc), you use seismic vibrations (some kind of infrasound). EM and especially the Terahertz band works for most situations, and only fails with solids like metal and cement.

A quick answer: We haven't found (yet) a better TWS technology, and there is no RL working model

And now shoot me
:smiley_laser_beam:

Doesn't work <_ damn cheap batteries in devices... src="%7B___base_url___%7D/uploads/emoticons/default_tongue.png" alt=":P">

P.S. I forgot to mention that the last proposed text is nice, reads easier than previous one
That's a nice thing to hear, thanks pal :D Edited by kafros