XCOMUFO & Xenocide

What i thought was...aliens hiding in the dark, behind jungle foliage, behind desert cactii on the other side of your door...that's kinda spooky.

Unofrtunately the limitations of the graphics in UFO Defence meant that either they were in your line of vision or not (or they popped out during their turn).

Wouldn't it be scarier if, during your turn, you could switch view to the selected team member, and see via first person, through their eyes.

Imagine switching to first person mode and seeing the silhouette of an alien lurking in the darkness...

Its that element of surprise and fear that the "enemy unknown" is all about.

I would like to experience that "edge of seat" element in Xenocide, not just from the chilling looping sound track.

Along similar lines, wouldn't it be even freakier if you heard the clickings and pops of aliens in your vicinity without knowing where they are...(go watch the 2002 film "Signs" to know what I am referring to)...imagine hearing their footsteps running past you...you in a room...you don't know where they are, what they are...do they know that you are there?

You know they are there...but you don't know where...

Create the atmosphere guys!!! Create fear of alien scum! Scare us to death with them freaky nasty alien sons of bitches!!

• 1 year later...
I just have to say that Im not much of a fan of the Idea of incorperating FPS view in Xenocide. The reason being that the only reason to switch to FPV is to look throught there eyes. The tactical movement and commands we give are much easier and efficent via an Isometric View as it is more a birds eye and you can get an overview of the situation easier. I think the FPS would be a feature rarely used by any one and it would be a waste of programming time. The only game I have seen that married the two ideas of both an Isometric / Birds Eye View, is Savage. Where the comander could order the other players from an RTS view. The other players all play as an FPS.

• 3 weeks later...

I think he meant just to look. Not move and shoot. This kind of game should not be an FPS, i agree, but the FPV would be cool. Give you a better idea of whats directly infront of you.

You shouldn't be alowed to move or shoot in that veiw though.

Slightly offtopic but i was wondering wether a look left and right button/feature might be a good idea so you X-corp could get a 180 degree look at his/her surroundings costing 1 ap instead of having to turn left then turn right twice which would cost 3 ap. This could also add to the gameplay as its very possible to have aliens on both sides which would leave you needing to decide which to turn your back on.

Tubby