XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Pd Grenades Explode Un-primed?

xalien

Did you prime any particle disturbance grenades during that mission? What about the last mission?

- NKF

Not on that mission. It was only 3rd or something turn and the front line scout got killed by a sonic pulser.

But on previous missions I did happen to have primed but unused (both in inventory and thrown) PD grenades. Can their flags be carried over to other missions?

if you don't use a primed prox grenade and the mission is over, next mission one object will randomly be assigned the proximity grenade tag, which can be quite lethal in the case of a blaster bomb or large rocket...

That would explain it. The game programmers never ever got round to making their 'armed proximity mine' flag work properly. If you prime a mine and use it, then everything is fine and dandy. But when you don't use it, the game leaves this information in memory, and remembers that a mine was armed. When the next mission starts, that information is still in memory, and will then pass it on to whatever object is created in the same place in the next mission. It could be anything.

In your case, any one of the items of the soldier that died may have become an armed PD mine. Probably an explosive, seeing as some damage was done.

In TFTD, there's another way this bug can occur. That's when you arm a mine and plant it, then blow it up with a more powerful grenade, like a sonic pulser. This one in particular happens in the dos version as well as the Collectors Edition.

The best way to avoid this problem is to either make sure you use all your mines, or, if you know you had one that wasn't exploded, then you should save the game in the Geoscape, quit the game, restart it and then reload your game. This often clears the problem.

- NKF

Edited by NKF

In your case, any one of the items of the soldier that died may have become an armed PD mine. Probably an explosive, seeing as some damage was done.

The PD grenade and gauss rifle dissapeared, only spare clip and 2 sonic pulsers remained so it has to be the grenade that went off.

well, its possible that the gauss rifle blew up, causing the PD grenade to explode (the sonic pulsar can take a bit of damage before it goes)

does that happen in UFO as well?

Yup, the old bait and switch with the unused proxy bug is present in UFO too. You would think the programmers would have fixed this problem in the next game, but the bug probably wasn't even documented yet. LOL

- Zombie