XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Extract Music From The A1200 Version Of Ufo: Eu?

tapper

I think the Amiga 1200 (AGA) version of UFO: Enemy Unknown has the best music by far. I've been searching the net the last couple of hours trying to find MODs of the amiga UFO music, but there are none to be found.

I was just wondering if someone here know if there is a way to extract the music from the game?

The music is stored in .mus files, which I'm guessing is a midi-like format that are using instrument stored in a larger .bank file. I have no idea how to go about ripping music from amiga games, but maybe someone here does?

Anyway... I was thinking that if you have the amiga music, you could convert it to mp3 and maybe use them in the windows version of UFO using SpyMaster's laucher (replacing the psx-mp3s). Would be sweet if possible.

The Amiga version is a little darker and a bit more groovy. It doesn't have quite the same impact as the nicely upmixed Playstation version, but back then there was a very finite limit to what you could do with sound hardware ;)

Is there a big difference between the Amiga and the DOS music?

Hand on heart, the Amiga music blows the DOS music out of the water. The AGA version, at least. I find it doesn't tend to stick to the same droning beat for so long, and I'm guessing that it uses actual samples for the instruments too, which would go some way to explaining the difference.

Mods are in essense, like midi files in a way, but where midi files use the midi FM wavetable to provide the sound effects, mods have more freedom and you can uses actual sound effects and can squeeze various notes out of them by varying the pitch, speed and method of playback of the sounds. Awesome stuff and sound way better than the midis depending on the instruments and whether or not they've been set up correctly.

If the mods in the amiga version are actual .mod files, you can probably try and play them in any modern mod trackers and players like Fast Tracker, Cubic Player, ModPlug Player/Tracker (my pick for Windows XP machines - and because it loads various game mod formats), and I think some versions of Winamp come with some mod loading capabilities.

But I take it they're all lumped together into a single .dat file?

- NKF

FYI: If you've played some games like most of the Unreal games, Deus Ex (the first one - which is based off the Unreal engine anyway), Holloween Harry (or Alien Carnage) and the Crusader: No Regret/Remorse games (just to name a few games), then you'll have experienced modern variations of the Amiga mod tracker music.

Edited by NKF