XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Issue #164: CTD - Alien Supply

This was something I could quickly write so here it is:

Much like new X-corps bases, alien bases are a massive logistical undertaking. New bases require anything from plasma weapons to day to day needs such as food and special equipment which process food for the less physically fit aliens. These needs are supplied by large ships which provide a sufficient storage space to fill these needs. When an alien base is first being built a large number of supply ships are sent to supply alien alloys and other necessary building equipment. A little later the ships supply the equipment necessary for the base to operate and remove the equipment used to build the base. After these steps the amount of shipments dwindles down to a small number that periodically supply food and medical supplies and the occasional replacement for malfunctioning equipment.

Nice, but how about adding something about the air that aliens breathe different to ours and they have to bring in a huge amount of alien plantlife so the aliens can sustain themselves in our atmosphere?

Then how do they survive on ground missions? I like the idea of not being able to breathe our air and can write a few sentances on it but If that's not going to be backed up by anything (such as a few gas mask models for aliens or a mention in a live alien ctd) than there's no point in adding it.

EDIT: BTW I fixed the "need" problem

Much like new X-corps bases, alien bases are a massive logistical undertaking. New bases require anything from plasma weapons to day to day needs such as food and special equipment which process food for the less physically fit aliens. These are supplied by large ships which provide a sufficient storage space to fill these requirements. When an alien base is first being built a large number of supply ships are sent to supply alien alloys and other necessary building equipment. A little later the ships supply the equipment necessary for the base to operate and remove the equipment used to build the base. After these steps the amount of shipments dwindles down to a small number that periodically supply food and medical supplies and the occasional replacement for malfunctioning equipment.

Edited by Ancalagon

What Cpl F. said :) Sorry I didn't make it more clear, I meant the gasses then need to survive on are different enough for them to have to use huge supplies of plants to modify our atmosphere to better suit their living conditions :)

Why so many plants? Because they don't take to earths biosystem and die out quickly, hence the constant need to resupply :)

Or maybe just a trace element that's not present (or rare) on earth...the plants release it it into the air, but that actual element itself needs to be replenished (sort of along the lines of Thallium Oxide for Lary Niven's Protectors).

Heh...we might even be able to tie in H.G. Wells' War of the Worlds. The reason the Invaders died in 1938 was lack of this trace element.

-The Captain

hmmm....i like the idea of the strange gasses. could this also be used for the alien containment system? would it be a requirement for the containment system, that you have researched a non mechanical alien corpse? This would open a new research option called "Alien breathing systems", and only after this, you can get the alien containment.

That would get annoying pretty fast. "Hey look sir! We captured a sectoid leader on that last terror site!" "Really? Lets go take a look at him" "Uhh, Jenkins, he doesn't look too good, give him some aspirin or something." :D

:)

i doubt it. its very hard to capture life aliens before you get the stun launcher. and i think that you should have been able to research at least 1 alien corpse before that.

Hmm, here is an idea, the aliens can breathe in our enviroment fine, but they are hyper-sensitive to human diseases (such as small pox, anthrax etc) having never been exposed, so instead of needing gas, they need shots to prevent their immune system from being annhilated by particulate virus'.

That would mean "our" viruses and diseases have an effect on them, of which I'm not sure it's entirely plausible. After all, they are totally different from us, would, say, influenza even thrive in their bodies? (of course, if needed, we could always say: yes! ^_^ )

Well, they are humanoid, with various organs of a similar structure to human ones... What I was trying to say was that they have no defense against human disease, even the common cold, so they need immune system booster shots to prevent from getting sick.

they are hyper-sensitive to human diseases (such as small pox, anthrax etc)

You chose possibly the worst examples in existence. ^_^ Small pox is pretty much eradicated and anthrax doesn't float in the air.

Earth viruses will almost definatley NOT effect aliens as thier cell structures are likely to be vastly different. Bacteria might pose a small problem but that's why antibiotics exist, and I'm sure the aliens have excelent anti-biotics.

I agree...I think that making them vulnerable to terrestrial diseases (much less human-specific ones) wouldn't work. There'a also the flipside...if they're vulnerable to our bugs....we're vulnerable to theirs (which is a place we sodon't want to go).

I like the idea of a trace element or gas....or maybe our atmosphere is just too thin for comfort. They can operate in terrestrial air pressure (think like climbing in the Andes, or the Himalayas), but when they're home in their colonies, it's much nicer to have a decent air pressure.

Or it could be the reverse...there's something in our atmosphere that they don't like...too much ozone, or CO or something, that they need to filter out.

-The Captain

Edited by Cpt. Boxershorts

HMMM...yeah, i agree with cpt. boxershorts. Our atmosphare might containt too little of "something" (methan gasses, or something wierd), that it would be like climbing a mountain. It tells why there are plants in the bases (turning their form of CO2 into Methan or something), and why they breath fine in battlescape.

now, the one thing i am conserned about, what about the mars landscape? how can the sectoids live out of the atmosfare?

Maybe sectoids don't need to breath. . .

I guess we could say that they need to inhale some gas to live, but they don't need to constantly be breathing it. So they would die after a few days without it.(it would be analogous to humans and water)

EDIT: I believe this idea was mentioned before

Edited by Ancalagon

• 1 year later...

Hi!

I just wondered if someone still is interested in this CT...? (Ancalagon?) Because if not, I would like to take + rewrite it. :) (basically because it´s at the bottom of the list... :) )

Actually, Ancalagon has been offline since

2nd August 2004 - 11:53 AM
and I don't think he will come back soon. So... go ahead and shoot pal :P

Alien Supply seems to be an important subject but quite neglected, so I guess it's yours to continue :)

Ok! :) So here comes a first draft!

[ALIEN SUPPLY]

X-Net://Pegasus.Net/Alien/Research/[Alien Supply]

Likewise every operation, behind the alien invasion there lies a vast fascinating logistic. At the latest with the building of terrestrial bases the aliens were in need for broad supply missions. We observe supply missions beginning with the first “ground-breaking ceremony” of a new alien base, continuing on during the whole operating time. In the beginning the large Alien Freighters carry building materials such as alien alloys and heavy construction site equipment, while later on the life-supportive systems and other technical equipment is delivered. From that on the new base is fully operational and expeditiously expanded.

Existing outposts are supplied by “standard” Alien Freighters which appear in a much lower frequency than during construction phase. As the Alien bases seem to be only limited self-sustaining these freighters carry an amount of various goods like weaponry, food, special plants, medical equipment and in particular the rare Xenium-115. We also discovered various tanks containing a trace-element enriched gas which we assume to be necessary for the aliens’ convenience during long term sojourns.

Whenever a huge frequency of these supply missions is noticed, we can assume the construction of a new alien base in the surrounding area. Extensive scout-missions are recommended.

"Hm... I could use a pizza myself right now..."

Deleted from first version of the report by Dr. I. N. Sane

Okok! I´ll delete the I.N.Sane... but please give me a better name... I´m so bad with this... :Brickwall:

X-Net://Pegasus.Net/Alien/Research/Alien Supply

Likewise every operation, behind the alien invasion there lies a vast fascinating logistic. At the latest with the building of terrestrial bases the aliens were in need for broad supply missions. We observe supply missions beginning with the first “ground-breaking ceremony” of a new alien base, continuing on during the whole operating time. In the beginning the large Alien Freighters carry building materials such as alien alloys and heavy construction site equipment, while later on life-support systems and other technical equipment is delivered. From that on the new base is fully operational and expeditiously expanded.

Existing outposts are supplied by “standard” Alien Freighters which appear in a much lower frequency than during construction phase. As the Alien bases seem to be only limited self-sustaining these freighters carry an amount of various goods like weaponry, food, special plants, medical equipment and in particular the rare Xenium-122. We also discovered various tanks containing a trace-element enriched gas which we assume to be necessary for the aliens’ convenience during long term sojourns.

Whenever a huge frequency of these supply missions is noticed, we can assume the construction of a new alien base in the surrounding area. Extensive scout-missions are recommended.

"I wish Dr. Leelaa Widelips would supply me with some... pizza!"

Audio log by Dr. Johann Phalus

That's a nice first draft :)

Actually, most of the text needs re-phrasing. For example, the first sentence could become: Behind every Alien operation lies a complex yet fascinating logistics system.

And the next red comment could become: operation timeline

I can't understand the green sentences :huh?: , could you elaborate a bit please? :)

I think you would like to write the first drafts yourself, so I haven't done extensive re-phrasing. But, if you want me to, don't hesitate to say so :)

Edited by kafros

That's a nice first draft :)

Thx :)

Actually, most of the text needs re-phrasing. For example, the first sentence could become: Behind every Alien operation lies a complex yet fascinating logistics system.

Hm. Thats not really what I wanted to say. The intention was to say something like: "Well guys you now, that for every military operation you need an a** full of logistics. And you know what? The Aliens do to! They are no magicians but pretty good in organizing stuff. Maybe we could disturb this a little bit and make their stay a tough time..."

And why the "yet"? It´s getting more and more fascinating the more complex it is, no?

And the next red comment could become: operation timeline

Hm. I thought this is a fixed expression? If you are able to read some german this is where I got it from: http://dict.leo.org/?lp=ende〈=de&age...ch=betriebszeit

I don´t think the word timeline is adequate.

I can't understand the green sentences  :huh?: , could you elaborate a bit please? :)

The first one wants to say: After they builded bases, they needed extensive logistics. - re-phrased, hope its somewhat clear now.. :/

A "ground-breaking ceremony" is the event where the first steps in the construction process are made.

And the last green sentence means: The bases are not able to work completly on their own, they need constant resupplys.

I think you would like to write the first drafts yourself, so I haven't done extensive re-phrasing. But, if you want me to, don't hesitate to say so :)

No, please feel free to do so! We need to proceed, not to safeguard someone false pride! :)

"I wish Dr. Leelaa Widelips would supply me with some... pizza!"

Audio log by Dr. Johann Phalus

Actually... ah... no. ;) Not my style. Too much p*rn :blush1: :P

OK, so here is the next draft:

Likewise every operation, also behind the alien invasion there lies a vast, fascinating logistic, and starting with the building of terrestrial bases there was an even higher demand of broad supply missions. We observe frequent supply missions beginning with the first “ground-breaking ceremony” of a new alien base, continuing on during the whole operational time. In the first days the large Alien Freighters carry building materials such as alien alloys and heavy construction site equipment, while later on life-support systems and other technical equipment is delivered. From that on the new base is fully operational and expeditiously expanded.

Existing outposts are supplied by “standard” Alien Freighters which appear in a much lower frequency than during construction phase. As the Alien bases seem to be only limited self-sustaining these freighters carry an amount of various goods like weaponry, food, special plants, medical equipment and in particular the rare Xenium-122. We also discovered various tanks containing a trace-element enriched gas which we assume to be necessary for the aliens’ convenience during long term sojourns.

"Phh... I could use a pizza myself right now."

Audio log by Dr. J. Davies - released of duty for ordering food to "the vicinity of the main elevator".

Edited by Mad

Guest Azrael

ALIEN SUPPLY

1Likewise every operation, also behind the alien invasion there lies a vast, fascinating logistic, and starting with the building of terrestrial bases there was an even higher demand of broad supply missions. 2We observe frequent supply missions beginning with the first “ground-breaking ceremony” of a new alien base, continuing on during the whole operational time. In the first days the large Alien Freighters carry building materials such as alien alloys and heavy construction site equipment, while later on life-support systems and other technical equipment is delivered. From that on the new base is fully operational and expeditiously expanded.

1. This part is not clear and needs to be rephrased. A suggestion: "As any military operation of this envergadure, the Alien invasion is a massive logistical undertaking, which begins with the setting of footholds on strategic positions, namely in this opportunity, on our own planet, from where close-up observation and quick attacks are possible. The need for a steady supply route is evident as we assume most of the construction materials come from an off-wordly location."

2. Also not clear, and "ground breaking ceremony" doesn't fit.

Existing outposts are supplied by 3“standard” Alien Freighters which appear in a much lower frequency than during construction phase. As the Alien bases seem to be only 4limited self-sustaining these freighters carry an amount of various goods like weaponry, food, 5special plants, medical equipment and in particular the rare Xenium-122. 6We also discovered various tanks containing a trace-element enriched gas which we assume to be necessary for the aliens’ convenience during long term sojourns.

3. What do you mean by "standard"? there is only one type of Alien Freighter, currently.

4. This is confusing, the bases are either self-suficient or not, there is no "limited self-sufficiency", in this case the Alien Bases are not self-sufficient (although the in-game effect might be the same, could be a feature later on, to starve an alien base, making it disappear eventually... cool :P)

5. Don't add Alien flora we don't have anything on, the Aliens use all terrestrial flora and fauna to fulfill their needs, they didn't bring any along with them from wherever they came from. Unless by "special" you mean specific terrestrial plants, in which case please specify.

6. It is not clear the purpose of this gas, remember the voyages from Mars to Earth don't take even a day on UFOs, they don't have need for cryogenic or sleeping chambers of any sorts, if this is not what you meant, please specify and give a bit more in-depth info on it. But, at any rate, that belongs to the Alien Freighter text, not this one which is about the supply itself, please remove.

7 "Phh... I could use a pizza myself right now."

Audio log by Dr. J. Davies - released of duty for ordering food to "the vicinity of the main elevator".

7. I don't get this, could you please explain? remember not all fluff texts have to be funny.

Wow! That’s awesome! I like your redraw of my first sentence very much - mind if I just take it? :) :master:

(Although I couldn’t find the meaning of "envergadure"...)

3. What do you mean by "standard"? there is only one type of Alien Freighter, currently.

I wanted to say they just carry the usual stuff and no construction site equipment. Hope It’s fixed now...

4. This is confusing, the bases are either self-sufficient or not, there is no "limited self-sufficiency", in this case the Alien Bases are not self-sufficient (although the in-game effect might be the same, could be a feature later on, to starve an alien base, making it disappear eventually... cool tongue.gif)

Would be great, no? :) Actually I tried to find a reason why they needed to be supplied, and so I thought of things they could need. That’s why I meant they are not fully self-sustaining, e.g. they might not be able to produce weapons etc.

Rephrased it.

6. It is not clear the purpose of this gas, remember the voyages from Mars to Earth don't take even a day on UFOs, they don't have need for cryogenic or sleeping chambers of any sorts, if this is not what you meant, please specify and give a bit more in-depth info on it. But, at any rate, that belongs to the Alien Freighter text, not this one which is about the supply itself, please remove.

What I intended to say was, that if they stay longer on earth, it might be more comfortable for them to breath a very special air mixture inside their bases, which must be "shipped" from Mars (or somewhere else). That’s why I left it inside. Just to give the people an idea why these technically advanced aliens still need supplies. But if you still think it should be taken out, no problem. :beer:

7. I don't get this, could you please explain? remember not all fluff texts have to be funny.

I’m not so good with fluffs. The intention is that he gets hungry because he is writing all that about the food and supply stuff. And the "released of duty" part is a homage to another fluff (I don’t know where it was...) where it is said that "recruits are not to order pizza to the concealed elevator doors". It’s not that funny actually... :( But I don’t have a better idea.

So here is the next version... :)

ALIEN SUPPLY

As any military operation of this extent, the Alien invasion is a massive logistical undertaking, which begins with the setting of footholds on strategic positions, namely in this opportunity, on our own planet, from where close-up observation and quick attacks are possible. The need for a steady supply route is evident as we assume most of the construction materials come from an off-world location. We observe frequent supply missions beginning with the construction of the foundation of a new alien base throughout the building process and continuing on in a reduced frequency during the whole operational time. In the first days the large Alien Freighters carry building materials such as alien alloys and heavy construction site equipment, while later on life-support systems and other technical equipment is delivered. From that on the new base is fully operational and expeditiously expanded.

As the Alien bases don’t seem to be able to produce every needed good themselves, the Alien Freighters carry an amount of various cargo like weaponry, food, medical equipment and in particular the rare Xenium-122 to supply existing outposts. We also discovered several tanks containing a trace-element enriched gas-mixture which we assume to be necessary for the aliens’ convenience during long term sojourns. Although we know they are able to breath our atmosphere, it seems to be easier for them to breathe air which is modified with this special gas mixture.

Whenever a huge frequency of these supply missions is noticed, we can assume the construction of a new alien base in the surrounding area. Extensive scouting missions are recommended.

Edited by Mad

ALIEN SUPPLY

As any military operation of this extent, the Alien invasion is a massive logistical undertaking, which begins with the setting of footholds on strategic positions, namely in this opportunity, on our own planet, from where close-up observation and quick attacks are possible. The need for a steady supply route is evident as we assume most of the construction materials come from an off-world location.

To ensure this permanent flow of material to and from of earth it seems that for each location the aliens established several flight corridors which apparently are used in random order, so we can never tell from which direction a freighter might enter the atmosphere or where it might head next.

In addition to this we could observe the usage of multiple freighters targeting one coordinate after we downed several supply UFOs. As reaction to massive X-Corps activity in a region several supply missions were escorted by protective ships. In some cases we monitored diversionary maneuvers like immense sightings in remote areas, while a single freighter tried to reach its destination. We can assume that vast freighter losses will lead to a change in this relatively defensive strategies and might provoke a retaliation mission.

An analysis of the alien flight plans has revealed that once a new alien base is to be established, frequent supply missions, beginning with the construction of the foundation and throughout the entire building process are performed.

In the first days the large Alien Freighters carry building materials such as raw alien alloys and pre-manufactured wall parts, up to entire, almost functional, base elements as well as heavy construction site equipment, while later on life-support systems and other high-technical equipment is delivered. From that on the new base is fully operational and expeditiously expanded. During the whole operational time the supply missions continue on in a reduced frequency.

As the Alien bases don’t seem to be able to produce every needed good themselves, the freighters carry an amount of various cargo like weaponry, food, medical equipment and in particular the rare Xenium-122 to supply existing outposts. We also discovered several tanks containing a trace-element enriched gas-mixture which we assume to be necessary for the aliens’ convenience during long term sojourns. Although we know they are able to breath our atmosphere, it seems to be easier for them to breathe air which is modified with this special gas mixture. On their way back – leaving the earth orbit – they often carry large tanks filled with organic fluids as well as containers packed with various plants.

Whenever a huge frequency of supply missions is noticed, the construction of a new alien base in the surrounding area can be assumed. Extensive scouting missions in these sectors are recommended.

Edited by Mad

Some re-phrasing ;)

ALIEN SUPPLY

As any military operation of this extent, the Alien invasion is a massive logistical undertaking, which begins with the setting of footholds on strategic positions, namely in this opportunity on our own planet, from where close-up observation and quick attacks are possible. The need for a steady supply route is evident as we assume most of the construction materials come from an off-world location.

To ensure the permanent flow of material to and from Earth, Aliens have established several flight corridors which are used in random order so that we can never predict the direction a freighter might enter the atmosphere from, or where it might head next.

Aliens might launch multiple fighters in case we bring down several Freighter UFOs. In specific regions, Fighters have been detected escorting supply ships as a reaction to massive X-Corps activity. Diversionary tactics have also been monitored while a single freighter tried to reach its destination, such as immense sightings in remote areas. Taking into account the importance of Freighters, we can assume that large freighter losses will lead to a change in these relatively defensive strategies and might provoke a retaliation mission.

An analysis of Alien flight schemes and destinations has revealed that once a new Alien base is scheduled for establishment, frequent supply missions are launched in order to begin the foundation and later the competition of the entire building process.

During the first days, Alien Freighters carry building materials such as raw alien alloys and pre-manufactured wall parts, even entire semi-functional base elements, as well as heavy construction site equipment, while later on life-support systems and other high-technical equipment is delivered. Once established, the new base is fully operational and expeditiously expanded.

During the whole operational time the supply missions continue but in a reduced frequency. As the Alien bases don’t seem to be able to produce every needed good themselves, the freighters carry various amounts of cargo, such as weaponry, food, medical equipment and in particular the rare Xenium-122 in order to supply existing outposts. We also discovered several tanks containing a trace-element enriched gas-mixture which we assume to be necessary for the aliens’ convenience during long term sojourns. Although we know they are able to breathe our atmosphere, it seems to be easier for them to breathe air that is modified with this special gas mixture. On their way back – leaving the earth orbit – they often carry large tanks filled with organic fluids as well as containers packed with various plants, artifacts, and even human body parts.

Whenever a huge frequency of supply missions is noticed, the construction of a new alien base in the surrounding area is suspected. Extensive scouting missions in these sectors are highly recommended.

"Darn, I could use a pizza myself right now..."

alrighty Azrael, my first usefull post in the workshops for a few months now

1) Exactly what does blue mean, this is so different from last time i did writing and checking

2) about limited Self - Dependancy, i think that would mean something like "the bases can survive on their own, but they would have a limited staff and would be unable to spare the resources needed for the common raids and incursions into human territory that accompany most alien bases. It would also mean that the bases would have a limited staff and more limited weapon ammunition and grenades supply than normal, and, if the base is deprived of resources for long enough, they aliens will abandon it and search for a more suitable site

@Az: By "re-phrasing" I mean to improve some parts of the CT, correct errors, but leave the ideas as-is. As you did with the first paragraph.

@Blehm:

1) There is no special colour. We just use blue for comments because it is clear and vivid :)

2) Eeem... which draft were you looking at? :huh?:

I talked with Mad, and he agrees with the latest draft, which is:

ALIEN SUPPLY

As any military operation of this extent, the Alien invasion is a massive logistical undertaking, which begins with the setting of footholds on strategic positions, namely in this opportunity on our own planet, from where close-up observation and quick attacks are possible. The need for a steady supply route is evident as we assume most of the construction materials come from an off-world location.

To ensure the permanent flow of material to and from Earth, Aliens have established several flight corridors which are used in random order so that we can never predict the direction a freighter might enter the atmosphere from, or where it might head next.

Aliens might launch multiple fighters in case we bring down several Freighter UFOs. In specific regions, Fighters have been detected escorting supply ships as a reaction to massive X-Corps activity. Diversionary tactics have also been monitored while a single freighter tried to reach its destination, such as immense sightings in remote areas. Taking into account the importance of Freighters, we can assume that large freighter losses will lead to a change in these relatively defensive strategies and might provoke a retaliation mission.

An analysis of Alien flight schemes and destinations has revealed that once a new Alien base is scheduled for establishment, frequent supply missions are launched in order to begin the foundation and later the competition of the entire building process.

During the first days, Alien Freighters carry building materials such as raw alien alloys and pre-manufactured wall parts, even entire semi-functional base elements, as well as heavy construction site equipment, while later on life-support systems and other high-technical equipment is delivered. Once established, the new base is fully operational and expeditiously expanded.

During the whole operational time the supply missions continue but in a reduced frequency. As the Alien bases don’t seem to be able to produce every needed good themselves, the freighters carry various amounts of cargo, such as weaponry, food, medical equipment and in particular the rare Xenium-122 in order to supply existing outposts. We also discovered several tanks containing a trace-element enriched gas-mixture which we assume to be necessary for the aliens’ convenience during long term sojourns. Although we know they are able to breathe our atmosphere, it seems to be easier for them to breathe air that is modified with this special gas mixture. On their way back – leaving the earth orbit – they often carry large tanks filled with organic fluids as well as containers packed with various plants, artifacts, and even human body parts.

Whenever a huge frequency of supply missions is noticed, the construction of a new alien base in the surrounding area is suspected. Extensive scouting missions in these sectors are highly recommended.

Guest Azrael
It's ok, but please, next time post suggestions, don't grab the whole text and "improve" it yourself, when you do that you improve it in your own way, not in the author's way, and in a manner you are putting some pressure on him into doing it your own way, I posted a suggestion I didn't really know whether he was going to like it or not, it was just an example. Either comment in separate paragraphs and say why you would like something changed, or highlight it in colors, so I can see what did you change, but always post why you want it changed, as Mad is the author and he deserves to choose how to write it. Just that :)

We were communicating in ICQ, he proposed some ideas, I proposed some ideas, and he wrote his draft. When it was complete, I read it, we both talked about it, and he liked my corrections, which I posted here :innocent:

Maybe I should do it Asty's way:

blih blih blih

blah blah blah

Sry for any inconvenience I may have caused :blush1:

Edited by kafros

With the re-phrasing thing... Actually I just don’t know which version is the better one. So if anyone else has some comments (either on my or on kafros´ draw) I would gladly appreciate it. As I see it kafros simplified some phrases, and I don’t know if we want to keep the CTs the (simpler) “American” way or the (extreme complex and maybe difficult to understand) "German" way... So which draft do you like more? 'cause I'll use this style for the next version...

Thx

...if we want to keep the CTs the (simpler) “American” way or the (extreme complex and maybe difficult to understand) "German" way...

AAAAAAaaaaaa! That's what you meant with "simple". Because at first I though that I made the CT less "scientific". Phew! :rolleyes:

So, with "simple", you mean "simpler syntax"...

I think that my draft has a better flow and is easier to read and understand, but that is just my humble opinion. I just proposed something, it's your right to accept it or to throw it away :)

So, with "simple", you mean "simpler syntax"...

Yyyyyap! that's what I meant... :) Simpler syntax, simpler expressions. For me scientific texts have to be horrible difficult to read, but I know that's just the “German Diplomingenieur” way...

I think that my draft has a better flow and is easier to read and understand, but that is just my humble opinion. I just proposed something, it's your right to accept it or to throw it away :)

Yea, it has, but I can't decide if this is good or bad :), that’s why I want to hear other opinions on this... no offense :)

PEOPLE PLEASE! Say something :Speach: :)

For me scientific texts have to be horrible difficult to read, but I know that's just the “German Diplomingenieur” way...

I see...

My opinion is that they shouldn't be difficult to read due to strange syntax, but due to "high-level" vocabulary, and maybe some use of advanced physics (ex. quantum states etc.)

Then, whatever people choose as better ! :)

And here is a new version, the melting of the previous two drafts plus some changes... Have fun! :)

ALIEN SUPPLY

To ensure the supply of a base the Aliens might launch multiple Freighters targeting one coordinate in case we bring down several supply UFOs. In several occasions, fighters have been detected escorting supply ships as a reaction to massive X-Corps activity. Also diversionary tactics such as immense sightings in remote areas have been monitored while a single freighter tried to reach its destination. Taking into account the importance of Freighters, we can assume that large freighter losses will lead to a change in these relatively defensive strategies and might provoke a retaliation mission.

An analysis of Alien flight schemes and destinations has revealed that once a new Alien base is scheduled for establishment, frequent supply missions are launched in order to begin the foundation and later to ensure the regular advancement of the entire building process.

During the whole operational time the supply missions continue on, but in a reduced frequency. As the Alien bases don’t seem to be able to produce every needed good themselves, the freighters carry various amounts of cargo, such as weaponry, food, medical equipment and in particular the rare Xenium-122 in order to supply existing outposts. We also discovered several tanks containing a trace-element enriched gas-mixture which we assume to be necessary for the aliens’ convenience during long term sojourns. Although we know they are able to breathe our atmosphere, it seems to be easier for them to breathe air that is modified with this special gas mixture. On their way back – leaving the earth orbit – they often carry large tanks filled with organic fluids as well as containers packed with various plants, artifacts, and even human body parts.

• 2 weeks later...

Green = additions

Blue = comments

Red = Deletions

ALIEN SUPPLY

To ensure the permanent flow of material and personnel to and from Earth, Aliens have established several flight corridors which are used by the freighters in a random order so that we can never It is difficult to predict the direction a freighter might enter the atmosphere from, or where it might head next.

To ensure the supply of a base the Aliens might launch multiple Freighters targeting one coordinate in case we bring down several supply UFOs. In several occasions, fighters have been detected escorting supply ships as a reaction to massive X-Corps activity. Also diversionary tactics such as immense sightings in remote areas have been monitored while a single freighter tried to reach its destination. Taking into account the importance of Freighters, we can assume that large freighter losses will lead to a change in these relatively defensive strategies and might provoke a retaliation mission.

An analysis of Alien flight schemes and destinations has revealed that once a new Alien base is scheduled for establishment, frequent supply missions are launched in order to begin the foundation and later to ensure the regular advancement of the entire building process.

During the whole operational time the supply missions continue on, but in a reduced frequency. As the Alien bases don’t seem to be able to produce every needed good themselves, the freighters carry various amounts of cargo, such as weaponry, food, medical equipment and in particular the rare Xenium-122 in order to supply existing outposts. We also discovered several tanks containing a trace-element enriched gas-mixture which we assume to be necessary for the aliens’ convenience during long term sojourns. Although we know they are able to breathe our atmosphere, it seems to be easier for them to breathe air that is modified with this special gas mixture. On their way back – leaving the earth orbit – they often carry large tanks filled with organic fluids as well as containers packed with various plants, artifacts, and even human body parts.

[/color]

Something  :)  happy to be of service.

:cussing:

ALIEN SUPPLY

To ensure the permanent flow of material and personnel to and from Earth, Aliens have established several flight corridors which are used by the freighters in a random order so that we can never It is difficult to predict the direction a freighter might enter the atmosphere from, or where it might head next.

Hm. You have a point there, but do Aliens really travel with freighters? I always thought they would use everything, from Recon to Juggernaut, but nor freighters. Is a freighter fast enough? How comes we never down a freighter full of angry Vipers? Or do we? (would be kind of fun though :) )

Opinions?

2nd: Is it hard to predict? I think we never get a hint which route the UFO may take, so I think we can never is more appropriate.

Hm. You have a point there, but do Aliens really travel with freighters? I always thought they would use everything, from Recon to Juggernaut, but nor freighters. Is a freighter fast enough? How comes we never down a freighter full of angry Vipers? Or do we? (would be kind of fun though :) )

We use trains in order to carry cargo around, but don't we also use it to carry personnel?

Anyway, inside freighters you can find Incubators, which carry Alien fetuses. These fetuses complete growth on Alien bases, so we could say that they are "personnel" :P

So IMO go on with that :)

2nd: Is it hard to predict? I think we never get a hint which route the UFO may take, so I think we can never is more appropriate.

Well... If we could never get a hint, then how do you get a hint where an Alien base is located??? :P :rolleyes:

There is not "simple/recognisable" pattern which you understand right away. You need to do a statistical analysis and in-depth observation in order to understand the alien flight patterns

Well... If we could never get a hint, then how do you get a hint where an Alien base is located??? :P :rolleyes:

There is not "simple/recognisable" pattern which you understand right away. You need to do a statistical analysis and in-depth observation in order to understand the alien flight patterns

Well, don't you mix prediction and analysis here? It's possible to analyze the flight paths, resulting in the idea of a visited location (so to speak a base), but you cannot predict where the UFO might head. (with one exception: you can know the target if you have the Tachyon Emissions Detector, but you can never know the way they will take.)

And I think, they don't have a "plan" when to use which corridor, but use them random.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to insist on my idea, but I want to discuss all possibilities. :)

Well, don't you mix prediction and analysis here? It's possible to analyze the flight paths, resulting in the idea of a visited location (so to speak a base), but you cannot predict where the UFO might head. (with one exception: you can know the target if you have the Tachyon Emissions Detector, but you can never know the way they will take.)

And I think, they don't have a "plan" when to use which corridor, but use them random.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to insist on my idea, but I want to discuss all possibilities. :)

You are right on that, I agree. Although I think that statistical analysis (location and line of movement of UFOs, UFO activity etc) MAY help you a bit (give you a hint), although indeed there is no way you can predict their destination

You are right on that, I agree. Although I think that statistical analysis (location and line of movement of UFOs, UFO activity etc) MAY help you a bit (give you a hint), although indeed there is no way you can predict their destination

On that I agree. The only question left is if one could implement this as a v1+ feature... XNet entry: Analysis of hte UFO flight paths. Then, together with the Tachyon emission detector, one could get a projected flight path everytime a UFO is spotted. It doesn't need to work every time, but this would ease the interception of UFOs. :)

Edited by Mad