XCOMUFO & Xenocide

CTD - Storage Facility

Hey, all.
As I'm waiting for some replies to my other assignments, I went ahead and wrote this one for the general storage.
Comment away...
----
[b]General Storage Facility[/b]

During the first days of our operations, it began to dawn on us that the amount of items we needed to store in our bases was increasing extrapolaneously. The warehouse facilities we were using at the time proved highly inneficient to manage the variety of items we stored and thus we found ourselves not only needing extra space but also a flexible and fast Storage and Retrieval (S&R) system.
Thus, a new S&R system was developed, using a prototype semi-automatic racking mechanism operated by a number of highly trained apothecaries. The end result proved a success and a facility complex was designed to complement it.

The General Storage, as it is modestly named, is capable of storing a high amount of items within its 225m^2 while still able to retrieve them lightning fast. The Warehouse sports a 5m height, solid concrete walls, double roller doors and an advanced fire protection system. It is also equipped with more conventional equipment such as forklifts and ladders for the occasional simple need.

A X-Corp base wouldn't be complete or even functional for that matter, without this facility.

---
I couldn't think of much more to write about this (it's a pretty bland facility isn't it? -_- ) so any additions would be welcome. Oh, and some flavor text suggestions would be nice too.

Update: Current Version Edited by Historian

"We were pretty amused when we were doing the spring cleaning, and found a rubber duck in one of the rocket launchers"

pretty stupid, i kno :)

i like the facillity description. Maybe something with storing them into categories?

[quote name='stewart' date='Dec 9 2003, 01:09 PM']extrapolaneously?  Do you mean exponentially?[/quote]
I do? Gosh!
Seriously though, I checked it with Word and it didn't find it wrong so I just guessed that the spelling was correct. I'm not that good with long english words and you obviously guessed what I meant. Is that the word?

While it might be spelled correctly, it doesn't roll off the tongue. Why not use "increased dramatically" instead. Also, please don't forget to put the formal name of the facility in [brackets] so we can find all occurances easily when we update with the new names. It just makes it stand out more.

I also think the word apothecaries is out of place: "Thus, a new S&R system was developed, using a prototype semi-automatic racking mechanism operated by a number of highly trained apothecaries"

Apothecaries are old-fashioned herbalist/drug stores, dating back to the middle ages, replaced with the current term pharmacy. Did you mean robotic apendages, or apparatus? You might add that the S&R system uses blast-proof storage containers, which are suspended from the ceiling, and the computerized lift can move to each position using tracks built into the ceiling. This allows for lighter, more common items to be stored on shelves below for easy access, etc.

[quote name='Breunor' date='Dec 9 2003, 02:26 PM']While it might be spelled correctly, it doesn't roll off the tongue. Why not use "increased dramatically" instead. Also, please don't forget to put the formal name of the facility in [brackets] so we can find all occurances easily when we update with the new names. It just makes it stand out more.[/quote]
Well, I dunno. I thought it sounded more...scientific and formal. I'll probably change it though, just on account of that I'm not sure about the spelling :huh?:
Done about the brackets. (I though X-Corps was the final name. I was using X-Com 'till now)

[quote]I also think the word apothecaries is out of place: "Thus, a new S&R system was developed, using a prototype semi-automatic racking mechanism operated by a number of highly trained apothecaries"
Apothecaries are old-fashioned herbalist/drug stores, dating back to the middle ages, replaced with the current term pharmacy. Did you mean robotic apendages, or apparatus?[/quote]

I wrote Apothecaries as a plural to Apothecary. I was talking about human controllers. Obviously my plural sucked eh? :Blush:
I know that an apothecary was the middle-age pharmacist but the word actually means warehouse-man. (In Greek Apothiki, pronounced Ah-poh-thee-kee, means a warehouse and an Apothecary is the one who manages it). I think the original meaning still applies.

[quote]You might add that the S&R system uses blast-proof storage containers, which are suspended from the ceiling, and the computerized lift can move to each position using tracks built into the ceiling. This allows for lighter, more common items to be stored on shelves below for easy access, etc.[/quote]

Hey, that's nice. I'll probably add this.

Thanks for the replies

I uploaded the current version of the general storage as an .rtf in the first post. I will update that with each change I make so anyone can check it out.

Bruenor as soon as you think there is nothing more to be changed you can pick that up for the Asset List.

Cheers! :beer:

I liked exponentially better, although technically it means that the amount of goods stored in the wharehouse would need to increase by a multiple of itself every so often. ie. it would double every 2 months or something. Generally, the term "increasing exponentially" means that the speed at which the amount is increasing is increasing.

It might just be me, but the first paragraph doesn't doesn't sit right...

Due to the limited space of our underground facilities, the most efficient layout for a storage system was critical. Every cubic meter counted, yet a variety of items would likely be needed in the coming campaign. The racking system also needed to withstand the possible shock of a military assault. Our designers thus created a Storage and Retrieval (S&R) system ...

What do people think of that or something similar? The "during our first days of operation" doesn't fit, the game's started in your first days. Current commercial carriers have computerized storage systems that are probably used in a military capacity already, I'd focus on how this new system uses it within a reinforced underground environment. Some food for thought.

[quote name='Breunor' date='Dec 14 2003, 03:14 AM']It might just be me, but the first paragraph doesn't doesn't sit right...

Due to the limited space of our underground facilities, the most efficient layout for a storage system was critical. Every cubic meter counted, yet a variety of items would likely be needed in the coming campaign. The racking system also needed to withstand the possible shock of a military assault. Our designers thus created a Storage and Retrieval (S&R) system ...

What do people think of that or something similar? The "during our first days of operation" doesn't fit, the game's started in your first days. Current commercial carriers have computerized storage systems that are probably used in a military capacity already, I'd focus on how this new system uses it within a reinforced underground environment. Some food for thought.[/quote]
Well, if you think about it, there was [i]some[/i] time before you started when the base was building up, the first items were bought and personnel was recruited and there was surely some time to wrap thing up. That would take at least 24-30 days or more. (Just being the devil's advocate here)
I'll try to implement it anyway. Stay tuned :)

Update: Check out the updated .rtf :wink: Edited by Historian

That entry looks very good, I made some minor grammar changes to it, here's the modified version. I'll upload this file if there aren't any other changes, I think we have a completed text here.

[b]General Storage Facility[/b]

As the initial blueprints for our underground base were designed, it dawned on us that the layout of our storage facility was going to be critical. Furthermore, as the demand for extra space kept increasing exponentially, the initial warehouse designs were deemed highly inefficient. We couldn’t effectively manage the variety and quantity of items we were going to store and withstand the possible shock of a military assault at the same time.

Thus a prototype Storage and Retrieval system was developed, using a semi-automatic racking mechanism operated by a number of highly trained apothecaries. The end result proved a success and a facility complex was designed to complement it.

The General Storage Facility, as it is modestly named, is capable of storing a high amount of items within its 225m2 while still able to retrieve them lightning fast. The G.S.F. sports solid concrete walls reaching 5 meters in height, double roller doors, and an advanced fire protection system.

Common or lightweight items are usually stored in the lower shelves, while the heavier and more valuable items are stored in blast proof containers that are suspended from the ceiling and accessed using a computerized lift that maneuvers by way of tracks built into the ceiling. In addition to the semi-automatic mechanisms, the warehouse is also equipped with more mundane retrieval means such as forklifts and ladders. This mixed configuration has proved to be the best and most secure way for managing our inventory.

"Remember when we found a rubber bunny inside that rocket launcher while cleaning? Imagine your target's surprise when his impending doom goes *squeak*. Now that'd be worth seeing!" Edited by Breunor

[quote name='Breunor' date='Dec 15 2003, 04:32 PM']a 5m height, solid concrete walls,[/quote]
couldn't that be rephrased? ...sports 5m high solid concrete walls... maybe? I just think it sounds a bit weird Edited by j'ordos

Yay :happybanana: ! My first complete project. Cheers! :beer:

• 1 year later...
GENERAL STORAGE FACILITY
X-Net://Pegasus.net/Base/Facilities/Storage

As the initial blueprints for our underground base were being designed, it dawned on us that the layout of our storage facility was going to be critical. Furthermore, as the demand for extra space kept increasing exponentially, the initial warehouse designs were deemed highly inefficient. We could not effectively manage the variety and quantity of items we were going to store and withstand the possible shock of a military assault at the same time.

Thus, a prototype Storage and Retrieval system was developed, using a semi-automatic racking mechanism operated by a number of highly trained apothecaries. The end result proved a success and a facility complex was designed to complement it.

The General Storage Facility, as it is modestly named, is capable of storing a high amount of items within its 225m2 while still able to retrieve them lightning fast. The G.S.F. sports solid concrete walls reaching 5 meters in height, double roller doors, and an advanced fire protection system.

Common or lightweight items are usually stored in the lower shelves, while the heavier and more valuable items are stored in blast proof containers that are suspended from the ceiling and accessed using a computerized lift that maneuvers by way of tracks built into the ceiling. In addition to the semi-automatic mechanisms, the warehouse is also equipped with more mundane retrieval means such as forklifts and ladders. This mixed configuration has proved to be the best and most secure way for managing our inventory.

"Remember when we found a rubber bunny inside that rocket launcher while cleaning? Imagine your target's surprise when his impending doom goes *squeak*. Now that'd be worth seeing!"

• 4 months later...

Doubleskulls pointed out that "apothecaries" is an inadequate word for this description.

GENERAL STORAGE FACILITY

X-Net://Pegasus.net/Base/Facilities/Storage Facility

As the initial blueprints for our underground base were being designed, it dawned on us that the layout of our storage facility was going to be critical. Furthermore, as the demand for extra space kept increasing exponentially, the initial warehouse designs were deemed highly inefficient. We could not effectively manage the variety and quantity of items we were going to store and withstand the possible shock of a military assault at the same time.

Thus, a prototype Storage and Retrieval system was developed, using a semi-automatic racking mechanism operated by a number of highly trained apothecaries storemen. The end result proved a success and a facility complex was designed to complement it.

The Storage Facility, as it is modestly named, is capable of storing a high amount of items within its 225m2 while still able to retrieve them lightning fast. The G.S.F. sports solid concrete walls reaching 5 meters in height, double roller doors, and an advanced fire protection system.

"Remember when we found a rubber bunny stuck inside that rocket launcher? Imagine your target's surprise when his impending doom goes *squeak*. Now that'd be worth seeing!"

Edited by dan2

Changes in blue, comments in green, highlights in purple.

GENERAL STORAGE FACILITY

As the initial blueprints for our underground base were being designed, it became obvious that the layout of our storage facility would be critical. As the demand for additional space kept increasing exponentially, the initial warehouse designs were deemed too space-inefficient. We needed a design that could effectively manage large varieties and quantities of items and withstand the possible shock of a military assault at the same time.

Changed "dawned upon us" because it has a connotation that the blueprint designers were clueless about storage until it dawned upon them, rather than realizing how important it was going to be.

Deleted "Furthermore" at the beginning of sentence 2. Since sentence 2 already elaborates on sentence 1, it's not needed.

Changed the last sentence to state what was needed, which implies that initial designs were lacking, and the prototype system in the next paragraph met those needs.

Thus, a prototype Storage and Retrieval system was developed, using a semi-automatic racking mechanism operated by a number of highly-trained storemen. The end result proved a success and a facility complex was designed to incorporate it.

Changed "complement" to "incorporate"; large things generally incorporate smaller things (the facility is larger than the prototype), while things of similar size complement each other. Hm, I'm not explaining this too well...

The Storage Facility, as it is modestly named, is capable of storing and retrieving a surprising amount of items within its 225m2 at lightning speeds. The facility sports solid concrete walls reaching 5 meters in height, double roller doors, and an advanced fire protection system.

"High" isn't quite the right word; I changed it to "surprising". Other alternatives could be "enormous", "prodigious", or "considerable".

Reworded the first sentence because "lightning fast" is, well, often used by children.

The purple text is the area of the facility; it should be more properly a volume (I think it's two stories tall). Plus, I'm not sure of the dimensions of base facilities.

Common and lightweight items are usually stored in the lower shelves, while the heavier and more valuable items are suspended from the ceiling in blastproof containers which are retrieved using a maneuverable computerized lift mounted on ceiling rails. In addition to the semi-automatic mechanisms, the warehouse is also equipped with more mundane retrieval means such as forklifts and ladders. This mixed configuration has proved to be the most effective way to managing our inventory.

Reworded the first sentence to make it less cumbersome.

The text and the AWD model might be in conflict; in the base assets thread, I can't see any ceiling-suspended objects. However, I'm not sure whether that's the last version of the model, though.

Changed "best and most secure" to "most effective"- it's less wordy and implies that it is the best configuration.

"Remember when we found a rubber bunny stuck inside that rocket launcher? Imagine your target's surprise when his impending doom goes *squeak*. Now that'd be worth seeing!"

Alright, we have a conflict with the text and the AWD model. I contacted Vaaish, and the AWD model of the storage facility is post #20 in the baseview assets thread.

There are no suspended items, nor a computerized lift on ceiling tracks, nor any sign of an automatic racking system. In actuality, it looks rather ordinary- boxes and crates stacked a little haphazardly on warehouse shelves- instead of revolutionary like the text suggests. Changing the text to describe the functional rather than the revolutionary aspects would require changes to a large portion of the text, imho. I'm thinking that we should send this text back to Active for retooling and/or rewriting. As much as I am reluctant to toss an entire text, doing so might provide a recruit a chance to show off their writing skills and create something that's more relevant to the AWD model. Either way, I think there's room for some new ideas in the text, especially after we cut out parts conflicting with the artwork.

Also, the size of base facilities are 25m x 25m (50m x 50m for hangars). This means the area of the storage area in paragraph 3 should be 625 sq. meters instead of 225 sq. meters.

• 9 months later...

now this is one thing we should bump back to the graphics/modeling department. with all the shiny new stuff that's being produced right now, the current model of the storage facility just doesn't fit in. Rather than us trying to explain why the storage facility looks like a junkyard when the rest of the base facilities are nice and tidy, they should produce a better model.

I'd suggest a straightforward design with parallel shelves and standard-issue storage crates (some semi-futuristic plastic storage box thingies) that all have the same size or perhaps multiples of a standard size.

(in fact, the way it looks right now could be inspiration for a fluff: "Before X-Corps, storage areas used to look like junkyards. All those different things just thrown into a room, and shut the door quickly before you are hit by an avalanche. These days are over, man! Thanks to our s.i.s.c. design - that's standard-issue-storage-crate for all those who didn't read the f*ing manual - everything's neatly tucked away. Now in which s.i.s.c did I put those cigars..." - Staff Sergeant Miller, while giving the new recruits the "burn-in-tour")

for easier reference, the current model:

post-29-1055570502.jpg

Now you are aware of what you are asking, are you? Producing models is painful work.

I will have a word with Vaaish, but I can't promise anything.

I suggest we stall this CT until we have a decision on this.

Edited by Mad

I'd even be willing to give it a try myself. I do have some experience in 3d modeling, and since there is already a model to begin with, it shouldn't be that hard.

that's a serious offer.

Well, as far as I'm concerned, I would say, just give it a try and see what the AWD folks think of it. That is of course if you could live with a "no way, you wasted your time". Otherwise, it might be good to wait...

Ok, a decision has been made. For reasons of lower polygon count and more vivid look of the base, we will stick to the current model.

Please rewrite the CT accordingly.

Edited by Mad

How's this?

GENERAL STORAGE FACILITY

Size: 25 x 25 meters

Construction cost: $150k

Construction time: 10 days

Monthly maintenance: $5k

Capacity: 500 units.

The word “General” in the name of this facility is somewhat of a misnomer, as it suggests that the facility is for the storage of a limited range of items. In fact, with the sole exception of xenobiological specimens, it is fully capable of storing any items that may be needed by an operational base.

Thus, an X-CORP base, unlike the typical military installation, has no need of a dedicated armory or magazine for the storage of weapons and munitions. Instead these items are stored in the GSF, along with such mundane items as food, clothing, medical supplies, and construction material.

The actual design of a storage facility is similar to a conventional warehouse. A large open space, filled with racks and shelves for holding items. The ability to safely store munitions under these conditions is achieved by using specially designed, water filled storage units. Unfortunately, the considerable size of these units means that the amount of material that can be stored in a GSF is significantly less than an equivalently sized conventional warehouse.

An attempt to increase the capacity using ceiling mounted storage with an automated store and retrieval (S&R) system was unsuccessful. The prototype had problems distinguishing between personnel and large items, with unfortunate results during commissioning tests. Realization that the enormous cost of the S&R system made it more cost effective to increasing a base’s capacity by adding additional GSFs resulted in the termination of the project.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Azrael
The word “General” in the name of this facility is somewhat of a misnomer, as it suggests that the facility is for the storage of a limited range of items.

How does "general" suggests a limited range of items?

X-CORP

It's "X-Corps" :)

Sorry, just two nitpicks, I'm going to bed ^_^

The word “General” in the name of this facility is somewhat of a misnomer, as it suggests that the facility is for the storage of a limited range of items.

"General" would be synonymous with objects not needing any specialized storage. A store that can hold anything would be a "Universal" store.

Guest Azrael

"General" would be synonymous with objects not needing any specialized storage. A store that can hold anything would be a "Universal" store.

To me that means that it could hold anything. General Storage implies to me that it stores a lot of different stuff together (i.e. from Alien corpses to pistol clips, etc)

When I hear the term "general store", this is the meaning I associate with it:

A general store is usually a retailer located in a small town or in a rural area with a broad selection of merchandise crammed into a relatively small space.

The second part is of primary interest as that explains the function of this facility. It doesn't have to carry everything, as most items (at least in the past) were either too expensive or could be manufactured on-site.

Problem is "general" is considered a synonym of "universal". That is misleading. Without bothering everyone with lexicography, logic and semantics, the short of it is this: general stores are limited in scope and can only contain what a base collects/recovers/manufactures/purchases. There are exceptions such as craft, personnel, live aliens, which require “specialized” storage. :wink1:

- Zombie

The thing’s a storeroom. I don’t know what additional padding can be said about it, although if you want a different fluff, you could try something like.

“There have been several reports of wormholes intermittently forming between storage facilities and a parallel dimension called Narnia. Research into the possibility of exploiting this to increase the capacity of the storage facility is ongoing.”

STORAGE FACILITY

As its name implies, a storage facility is a base facility that is intended for storing things. With the exceptions of a few item types, which have highly specialized requirements, it is fully capable of storing all items that may be needed by an operational base.

The items it cannot store are:

1. Xenobiological specimens

2. Personnel

3. Vehicles

What it can store:

1. Weapons, both personal and craft mounted

2. Ammunition for personal and craft weapons.

3. Explosives

4. Body armour

5. Mission equipment

6. Raw materials for manufacturing

7. Salvage from missions.

8. Medical supplies

Note, an X-Corps base, unlike the typical military installation, has no need of a dedicated armoury or magazine for the storage of weapons and munitions.

The basic design of a storage facility is similar to a conventional warehouse. A large open space, filled with racks and shelves for holding items. The ability to store munitions under these conditions is achieved by using specially designed, water filled storage units. Unfortunately, the considerable size of these units means that the amount of material that can be stored in a GSF is significantly less than an equivalently sized conventional warehouse.

For safety, the interior walls between the storage facility and the rest of the facility are heavily reinforced. Additionally, sacrificial blast panels have been provided to channel the blast from an uncontrolled munitions detonation outside the base itself

The facility is equipped with a fast response, Halon based, fire suppression system. Consequently, personnel operating in this facility must keep oxygen masks with them at all times when inside the facility. Likewise, use of this facility for connubial activities is contraindicated.

An attempt to increase the capacity using ceiling mounted storage with an automated store and retrieval (S&R) system was unsuccessful. The prototype had problems distinguishing between personnel and large items, with unfortunate results during commissioning tests. Realization that the enormous cost of the S&R system made it more cost effective to increasing a base’s capacity by adding additional storage facilities resulted in the termination of the project.

Edit: typo

Edited by dteviot

STORAGE FACILITY

[This does not appear in any other facility description. If we include something like this, we should link it to a database to allow for modding of the game... until then, we'd beter leave it out.]

As its name implies, a the storage facility is a base facility that is intended for storing things. With the exceptions of a few item types, which have highly specialized requirements, it is fully capable of storing all items that may be needed by an operational base.

The items it cannot store are:

1. Xenobiological specimens

2. Personnel

3. Vehicles

What it can store:

1. Weapons, both personal and craft mounted

2. Ammunition for personal and craft weapons.

3. Explosives

4. Body armour

5. Mission equipment

6. Raw materials for manufacturing

7. Salvage from missions.

8. Medical supplies

[i'd either try to put this into a paragraph like "The storage facility is used for storing inanimate objects of almost any kind up to a certain size, limited primarily by the total volume of the room. Each box or container is assigned a numerical value for its size, allowing easy tracking of available storage space." or leave it out altogether.]

Note, an X-Corps base, unlike the typical military installation, has no need of a dedicated armoury or magazine for the storage of weapons and munitions.

The basic design of a storage facility is similar to a conventional warehouse. A large open space, filled with racks and shelves for holding items. The ability to store munitions under these conditions is achieved by using specially designed, water filled storage units. [what about "Due to specialized blast-proof storage containers, ammunition and explosives can be stored alongside fragile objects without problem."? better not get too technical with the "water-filled"-explanation, people love to tear it apart. The one-sentence paragraph above about not needing a dedicated armory would fit here nicely, btw.] Unfortunately, the considerable size of these units means that the amount of material that can be stored in a GSF is significantly less than an equivalently sized conventional warehouse.

For safety, the interior walls between the storage facility and the rest of the facility are heavily reinforced. Additionally, sacrificial blast panels have been provided to channel the blast from an uncontrolled munitions detonation outside the base itself

[as long as we don't plan to allow for munitions detonations in-game, I'd better not talk about it. it gets people thinking "hey, why didn't they include this in the game?" :) ]

The facility is equipped with a fast response, Halon based, fire suppression system. Consequently, personnel operating in this facility must keep oxygen masks with them at all times when inside the facility. Likewise, use of this facility for connubial activities is contraindicated.

[LMAO but perhaps this joke should be a little less obvious... maybe "the fire suppression systems installed in the storage facility are highly sensitive and have been reported to be set off by body heat"? also, perhaps we should stick with a conventional foam or powder extinguisher - bromofluoro compounds have mostly been banned by the Montreal Protocol, and XCorps is supposed to save the earth. :D halon extinguishers only work well in small, enclosed spaces by displacing oxygen, so a more conventional approach is probably better here]

An attempt to increase the capacity using ceiling mounted storage with an automated store and retrieval (S&R) system was unsuccessful. The prototype had problems distinguishing between personnel and large items, with unfortunate results during commissioning tests. Realization that the enormous cost of the S&R system made it more cost effective to increasing a base’s capacity by adding additional storage facilities resulted in the termination of the project.

STORAGE FACILITY

[This does not appear in any other facility description. If we include something like this, we should link it to a database to allow for modding of the game... until then, we'd beter leave it out.]

Yes, this information should be obtained from facility.xml. (And I think I know how it can be done.) However, there's a couple of questions.

1. Obviously the information is going to be a different, depending on if we're talking about a facility, a weapon, a craft, etc.

2. What information should be shown in each case?

3. Where should the information be displayed in the X-NET entry? My option is, right at the start, because that's what a player is going to be most interested in.

My implemention idea would be we add a member function "getXnetData()" to each item/facility/etc, and the XNET viewer looks up the item, fecthes the text and appends it to the article.

Yes, this information should be obtained from facility.xml.  (And I think I know how it can be done.)  However, there's a couple of questions.

1. Obviously the information is going to be a different, depending on if we're talking about a facility, a weapon, a craft, etc.

2. What information should be shown in each case?

3. Where should the information be displayed in the X-NET entry?  My option is, right at the start, because that's what a player is going to be most interested in.

My implemention idea would be we add a member function "getXnetData()" to each item/facility/etc, and the XNET viewer looks up the item, fecthes the text and appends it to the article.

This is one of the jobs which Mad has assigned me: to attach stats to X-Net articles. I really think we should write the articles first. After they go to proofing, then the stats can be added. It also gives us a chance to revise any stat files (think: item.xml, facility.xml etc). Though, that "getXnetData" idea would probably save me a bunch of time. Then it is just the idea of figuring out which stats should be listed. :)

- Zombie

Edited by Zombie

This is one of the jobs which Mad has assigned me: to attach stats to X-Net articles. I really think we should write the articles first. After they go to proofing, then the stats can be added. It also gives us a chance to revise any stat files (think: item.xml, facility.xml etc). Though, that "getXnetData" idea would probably save me a bunch of time. Then it is just the idea of figuring out which stats should be listed. :)

- Zombie

So, are you able to build the current trunk? If so, I can probably put in something to do the job by my Monday. (At least for facilities.) And we can see how it looks.

So, are you able to build the current trunk?  If so, I can probably put in something to do the job by my Monday.  (At least for facilities.) And we can see how it looks.

Building the trunk is what I need help on as I dodn't know how the GUI will factor into the overall "look" of the entry. I don't suppose there an example of a completed X-Net entry in the game? That would come in handy. ^_^

- Zombie

So, are you able to build the current trunk?  If so, I can probably put in something to do the job by my Monday.  (At least for facilities.) And we can see how it looks.

Building the trunk is what I need help on as I dodn't know how the GUI will factor into the overall "look" of the entry. I don't suppose there an example of a completed X-Net entry in the game? That would come in handy. ^_^

- Zombie

OK, there's several approaches.

1. Simplest is probably just to download the latest xnet.xml from

http://svn.projectxenocide.com/xenocide/tr...ame/data/schema

and replace the existing one on your currently installed version of xenocide.

2. Build the xenocide code. How you do this depends on which OS you're running.

For instructions, go use either:

this:

http://docs.projectxenocide.com/index.php/...QuickStartGuide

or this:

http://docs.projectxenocide.com/index.php/...QuickStartGuide

The code WAS broken until about 2 weeks ago for Windows builds, but I've fixed that. (Unless someone has broken it since.)

• 1 month later...

As I said before, the storage facility is a store room, there’s not a lot more you can say about it, so the bulk of this entry is filler. That said, I’ve tried to apply Moriarty’s suggestions.

STORAGE FACILITY

As its name implies, the storage facility (SF) is used for storing things that things that are not currently needed but are expected to be utilized in the near future. (Operating staff are reminded of General Accounting Office (GAO) Directive XC-1273.c “To minimise base storage requirements and defray operating costs, items that are not expected to be used within 6 months must be sold.”)

With the exceptions of vehicles and xenobiological specimens, the SF is used to store all items used by an operational base. Note, X-Corps bases, unlike typical military installations, lack a dedicated armoury or magazine for the storage of weapons and munitions.

The basic design of a storage facility is similar to a conventional warehouse. A large open space, filled with racks and shelves for holding items in standardized containers. Ammunition and explosives are stored in specialized blast and fire resistant containers. Unfortunately, the considerable size of these units means that the amount of material that can be stored in a SF is significantly less than an equivalently sized conventional warehouse.

Because of the presence of explosives, the interior walls between the storage facility and the rest of the facility are heavily reinforced. Additionally, sacrificial blast panels have been provided to channel the blast from an uncontrolled munitions detonation outside the base itself.

Also, the facility is equipped with a very sensitive fast response fire suppression system, similar to that used in aircraft hangers, that is capable of completely filling the entire facility with fire-fighting foam within 30 seconds of activation. Consequently, personnel present in this facility must keep oxygen masks with them at all times, and smoking is not permitted.

GAO Directive XC-1271 requires the X-Corp commander to order every purchase, sale, transfer and/or issue of equipment to or from a SF. A computerized system with web interfaces has been provided to allow the X-Corp commander to do this.

As I said before, the storage facility is a store room, there’s not a lot more you can say about it, so the bulk of this entry is filler.

Well, it's all about filling. Most of the items could be described sufficent in three to five sentences. But, well that's just not our approach.

Good draft, some anotations:

red for deletions

orange for proposed deletions

blue for anotations and proposed insertions

STORAGE FACILITY

As its name implies, the storage facility (SF) is used for storing things that things items that are not needed currently needed but are expected to be utilized in the near future.  (Operating staff is to be are reminded of General Accounting Office (GAO) Directive XC-1273.c “To minimise base storage requirements and defray operating costs, items that are not expected to be used within 6 months must be sold.”)

With the exceptions of vehicles and xenobiological specimens, the SF is used to store all items used by an operational base. Note, X-Corps bases, unlike typical military installations, lack a dedicated armoury or magazine for the storage of weapons and munitions.

Or maybe: "Due to the high security level of all base personel X-Corps command sees no necessity for a dedicated armoury thus allowing fast weapon distrinution all over the base in the case of an attack."

The basic design of a storage facility is similar to a conventional warehouse. A large open space, filled with racks and shelves for holding items in standardized containers. Ammunition and explosives are stored in specialized blast and fire resistant containers.  Unfortunately, the considerable size of these units means that the results in a siginificantly reduced? amount of material that can be stored in a SF is significantly less than an equivalently sized conventional warehouse.

Accounting? Because of the presence of explosives, the interior walls between the storage facility and the rest of the facility are have been heavily reinforced using material xyz. Additionally, sacrificial blast panels have been provided to channel the blast from an uncontrolled munitions detonation outside the base itself out of the base?.

Also, To further increase safety the facility is equipped with a very sensitive fast response fire suppression system, similar to that used in aircraft hangers, that is capable of completely filling the entire facility with fire-fighting foam within 30 seconds of activation. Consequently, personnel present in this facility must is to keep oxygen masks with them at all times, and smoking is not permitted.

GAO Directive XC-1271 requires the X-Corp commander to order every purchase, sale, transfer and/or issue of equipment to or from a SF.  A computerized system with web interfaces direct connection to the X-Net has been provided to allow the X-Corp commander to do this efficient management of the bases stocks.

• 2 weeks later...
your modifications sound good to me. I would take out the small paragraph about explosions and blast panels and that stuff, because people will wonder where this is in-game. if you tell them about ammo explosions in the storage facility, they will start throwing grenades in there in a base defence mission and be really disappointed when there's no big explosion. unless you want to convince programming to include this...

your modifications sound good to me. I would take out the small paragraph about explosions and blast panels and that stuff, because people will wonder where this is in-game. if you tell them about ammo explosions in the storage facility, they will start throwing grenades in there in a base defence mission and be really disappointed when there's no big explosion. unless you want to convince programming to include this...

Well, there are no ammo explosions. Ammo is stored in explosion proof crates... ^_^

Edit: Dteviot: Maybe clarify this. Add something to make clear only a thermonuclear blast would ignite the ammunition in those crates... :D

Edited by Mad

Why would people expect a big explosion? There's no breakages elsewhere when a base is attacked. Or is there? If there are going to be breakages during a base mission, then arranging a large explosion in the storage facility should not be a big job. But I suspect breakages are a v1.0+ feature.

Edit: Further, if we do apply Moriarty's logic, the anti-fire foam should be removed as well. Otherwise people are going to be surprised if they fire incendaries in the SF, and the fire extingisher doesn't work.

Edited by dteviot