XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Why Are The Aliens Dirt Bags In Ufodefense

I AM ROBOT

:banana: Aleins :banana:

So these Super-Being have travelled half way across the gallaxy in their space ships (naked) to attack earth, Its just a shame they sent complete idiots.

"hmm a grenade, its primed, maybe ill just sit on it for the next few turns" thats the kind of thing the fools do. And a number of other things.

Like shooting each other. or walking through a number of flares, IN PLAIN VEIW!!!

Apparently they dont want earth THAT bad. Maybe cause its full of hippys.

I disagree....

I stunned a muton once, he recovered during the alien turn and ran. I couldn't see him and it turnd out he was hiding behind me...

I shot him...

Actually, the AI in UFO/TFTD is really basic (Okay so it's not overly simple). From what I understand, the aliens just randomly walk from waypoint to waypoint or enemy units like civilians or X-Com units and then attack them on sight as long as they have the initiative (reaction score level * remaining percentage of TUs) and resources (TUs and ammo). They do have a few preset rules that enable them to do a number of actions like use reactions, which is universal to all units, use psionics, use hand-to-hand attacks and a events attached to certain actions like burning the floor, blowing up on death or zombifying on touch, etc.

However, it makes up for a lot of its simplicity by appearing to us as if the aliens are not entirely predictable and by arming the AI with weapons and stats that are many times greater than yours at start the game (and the fact your units are so fragile).

Still, though it's not perfect, it has kept us entertained for quite some time, hasn't it? I doubt the AI would survive a transtition into a semi- or full- real-time game very well.

- NKF

Edited by NKF

Well, seeing as TFTD is just an extension of UFO, yes. But I'm sure there are a few minor tweaks here and there.

As for Apocalypse... I haven't a clue. But from what I've observed, the apocalypse aliens (And especially the civilians) aren't exactly very bright at all. Not very bright at all. In fact, they seem to lack a few 'safety' self preservation mechanisms that were used by UFO/TFTD aliens, like not throwing/shooting a high powered explosive into the tile right next to it. The Apocalypse aliens are a bit suicidal. But I guess that may have been intentional.

Sometimes I get the feeling the civilians in Apocalypse actually borrowed the movement AI from the originals... and that their movement is the UFO/TFTD AI in action! But perhaps not.

- NKF

Edited by NKF

Well, our AI is going to be the best ever, seeing how the Geoscape AI document is going, the Battlescape AI will surely be very good, in fact, we'll make it so good that no one will ever beat the game, ever (well, maybe only NKF will :wink1:)

Is anyone else of the opinion that this thread belongs elsewhere? After all the original poster was just complaining about something in the original game, which we can not fix, but are already planing on improving in xenocide.

If all he had to say was about AI in XCom, then shift this thread to the XComUFO forum... This forum should be about suggestions/improvements to Xenocide V1+

True enough - probably X-Com UFO General - General, or perhaps just general.

But on the other hand, knowing what the AI in the originals did wrong is also beneficial in helping the dev team in steering the Xenocide AI in the right direction.

Right, that's a long shot. ;)

Azrael: I may post a lot and have odd 'ideas', but I am not necessarily a good player. ;)

- NKF

Edited by NKF

True enough - probably X-Com UFO General - General, or perhaps just general.

But on the other hand, knowing what the AI in the originals did wrong is also beneficial in helping the dev team in steering the Xenocide AI in the right direction.

Right, that's a long shot. ;)

Azrael: I may post a lot and have odd 'ideas', but I am not necessarily a good player. ;)

- NKF

You sure know enough about it to assume you are one heck of a player :D

I can only beat Apoc :)

Is anyone else of the opinion that this thread belongs elsewhere? After all the original poster was just complaining about something in the original game, which we can not fix, but are already planing on improving in xenocide.

If all he had to say was about AI in XCom, then shift this thread to the XComUFO forum... This forum should be about suggestions/improvements to Xenocide V1+

ill have you know buddy, this thread is fine where it is!!!

deal with it. and okay, so the origional post may have been exagerated, BUT the ideas the same!

Edited by I AM ROBOT

ill have you now buddy, this thread is fine where it is!!!

deal with it. and okay, so the origional post may have been exagerated, BUT the ideas the same!

Easy now, tzuchan was only making a suggestion. We are all :beer: here.

• 3 months later...

Edited title to "Why Are The Aliens Dirt Bags In Ufodefense". I never felt like the original title was appropriate, so I fixed it.

- Zombie

[Edit: removed "original" title from this post]

Edited by Zombie

:squint: He spelled it wrong too, as well as having a "disputable" title

there are people who are young like me on here you know