XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Dosbox Illegal Command/not Responding Issues

Hello all,

I wanted to start a new thread with this topic. I've seena few other people ask similar questions and figured it would be a good reference point if we could solve the issue. (MODs can delete my other post if it violates the forum rules...sorry)

I am new to the world of DosBox as a few days ago. I stumbled across it when i found the old Xcom games. I started by loading and installing Enemyt Unknown (my personal favorite) It immediately worked great with no issues. I exited the program, started it again, etc..., everything was working fine. The only issue i was having was the time in the geoscape going a little too fast. In order to correc that issue, I downloaded a patch that was said to fix the problem (located here: http://FastFreeFileHosting.com/file/858...8-zip.html ). Ever since then, I have been unable to launch the game without completely reinstalling from the beginning. When i go to start the game one of two things happen:

1. If loaded through Dosbox, i recieve the following messages:

Illegal command: D:ufoexe\black.

Illegal command: D:sound\sndstart.

Illegal command: D:intro.

Illegal command: D:ufoexe\black.

Illegal command: D:ufoexe\geoscape.

Illegal command: D:sound\sndend.

C:>

2. If loaded through Dosshell (a frontend), dosbox will open, attempt to start the game, and then will "freeze" or go into a state of "Not Responding"

These errors happen 100% of the time, without fail.

Anyone had a similar problem with this game or other games? Know what going on? How to fix it?

I am curious if something in my windows registry could cause these errors to come up? The only reason i mention it is because the previously mentioned patch i tried to install had me copy an exe file and an eut(???) file which looked as if it were a registry file. So, if that's the case, could a reg file in windows do something to prevent me opening up the game in dosbox?

Just some system specs. I am running Windows Vista 32bit, an Intell Quad 2.40, 2gb RAM. e-Gforce 8600 GTS, with a MSI motherboard. Forget the specs on the sound card, but its a fairly new card too (within the last year).

Again, I had the game up and going without any issues and then it all happened at once.

Edited by Switchfoot55

It shouldn't be anything too sinister afoot. The game never touches the registry, so you needn't worry about that. It almost looks as though the game's trying to run its files in a different directory from where it's stored.

Anyway, more information is needed. Your dos version of the game. Is it the installed completely on the hard drive? And what path is it installed in?

Can you also run through the steps you take to run the game through dosbox?

- NKF

It shouldn't be anything too sinister afoot. The game never touches the registry, so you needn't worry about that. It almost looks as though the game's trying to run its files in a different directory from where it's stored.

Anyway, more information is needed. Your dos version of the game. Is it the installed completely on the hard drive? And what path is it installed in?

Can you also run through the steps you take to run the game through dosbox?

- NKF

Good to know about the registry. Makes me feel a whole lot better.

As far as what dos version i'm using, how would i find that out? And to be honest, i'm not sure if it is installed on the hard drive or not.

Right now, the game file is under c:\oldgames\mps\ufo\ufo.bat

When i open dosbox, i do the following:

Z:\mount c c:\old games

Z:\c:

C:\cd mps

C:\MPS> cd ufo

C:\MPS\UFO>ufo

And that is where i either get the illegal command messages or the "not responding" message.

IF it helps, I am installing this from an ISO file. Any tips on how to install from start to finish? Maybe that's where i'm going wrong? (just doesn't make complete sense due to the fact that it ran already).

The partial install that's used by the cd version of the game only includes some of the files, not all of them and keeps most of them on the cd-rom. One good way to find out is to open ufo.bat in a text editor like Notepad or Word. If it reads UFOCD and a bunch of other things, then it's the cd-rom edition. There's an easy fix for it, but I don't think this is the case.

I'm guessing that since your game ran fine the first time then this definitely isn't the case. It may be the patch you installed. It must think that the game files are stored on D: (which you haven't got mounted) rather than attempt to look for the files in the directory you're running the file in.

One possible solution is to mount the game directory to D: instead of C:. But that's not really a good solution.

Can you get the game back to the state before you applied the patch? Yes another reinstall, but give that a go and don't apply the patch. Try and get to run it from there.

To fix your geoscape speed problem, fiddle with Dosbox's cpu cycles. Ctrl+F11 and Ctrl+F12 increases and decreases the emulation speed. It'll affect everything, but if your Geoscape is too fast then your battlescape scrolling will also be too fast.

Adjust them until you get to a speed that you're comfortable with. Note the cycle numbers (you may have to switch to windowed mode if you've been using full-screen) and then open the dosbox.conf file and enter that number into the cpu cycles field. This way every time you run dosbox, it'll start up at that speed. (Those who are more clever in the ways of Dosbox might be able to tell you how to make unique config files for your different games).

By the way, try to use the right mouse button to centre on Geoscape locations rather than the glob navigation buttons. I found it the best way to control the Geoscape back in the days before dosbox or the CE edition! ;)

- NKF

Edited by NKF

The partial install that's used by the cd version of the game only includes some of the files, not all of them and keeps most of them on the cd-rom. One good way to find out is to open ufo.bat in a text editor like Notepad or Word. If it reads UFOCD and a bunch of other things, then it's the cd-rom edition. There's an easy fix for it, but I don't think this is the case.

I'm guessing that since your game ran fine the first time then this definitely isn't the case. It may be the patch you installed. It must think that the game files are stored on D: (which you haven't got mounted) rather than attempt to look for the files in the directory you're running the file in.

One possible solution is to mount the game directory to D: instead of C:. But that's not really a good solution.

Can you get the game back to the state before you applied the patch? Yes another reinstall, but give that a go and don't apply the patch. Try and get to run it from there.

By the way, try to use the right mouse button to centre on Geoscape locations rather than the glob navigation buttons. I found it the best way to control the Geoscape back in the days before dosbox or the CE edition! ;)

- NKF

So, this is a message i posted on the DOSbox help forums...i'll post it here to. Maybe someone can spot where i'm going wrong?

Okay, so I decided to completely uninstall everything and start from scratch, documenting my steps. Maybe that will help solve the problem (or at least help others understand if i'm missing something).

-Installed DOSbox 0.72 (C:\DOSbox-0.72)

-Extracted Enemy Unknown ISO to C:\Oldgames

-Opened DOSbox

-Z:\>mount c c:\oldgames

-Z:\>c:

-C:\>install

-Enemy Unknown install screen loads

-Install Game

-Installed to C:\MPS\UFO

-Selected SoundblasterPro, 220, 7 Irq, 1 DMA, 4 sound channels

-Selected AdLib/Soundblaster FM

-Installed succesfully

-Prompted in game screen still:

-To play now, type: UFO

-To play later, type: C:cd\mps\ufo\ufo

-Exit out of install to DOS and am prompted with C:\MPS\UFO>

-Type UFO to play

-DOSbox starts to load, then hits "Not Responding"

-------

How i access the game through DOSbox from scratch:

-Open DOSbox

-Z:\>mount c c:\oldgames

-Z:\>c:

-C:\>cd mps

-C:\MPS>cd ufo

-C:\MPS\UFO>ufo

-DOSbox begins to load the game, then hits "Not Responding"

So, just an update...I haven't actually reached the Illegal Command issues i spoke of earlier.

Potentially important/useful information:

As mentioned, i'm using an ISO of the game to get my files. Located in the ISO are an Install.exe file (which i used in the list above), and a Setup.exe file (which seems to only control sound?). Is there another file type or name i should look for? And am i making it too hard doing it through the exe files when i could just mount the ISO? I tried at first, but couldn't get it...mainly due to the fact that i still am very new to DOSbox i think).

Another thing is that when i finally do get to C:\MPS\UFO>ufo and launch the game, i can see some text on a screen only for a split second (can't figure out what it all says), and then the screen "blinks" (for lack of a better word), and acts as if it is going into the game screen. The top of DOSbox says Program: Intro. But then "Intro" goes away and eventually i get the "Not Responding" program.

I realize i'm probably doing something VERY wrong or out of order. I hope I am posting the question/messages in an okay format MiniMax. Just trying to get my game working. Thanks!

----------

I also found that the version of the game I have is v1.04. I also wanted to clarify that I don't think I was having game speed issues actually. Once i looked at it a little closer (when the game was working), i noticed it was running at a fine speed.

thanks for the geoscape trick NFK