XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Strafe! (means Moving Sideways)

Puasonen

I got one of my soldiers brainsucked, well nothing new there but that soldier started to strafe! He was behind a corner, ran sideways to shoot me and ran sideways back to behind the corner! He made this all the time! This is exactly the same thing that is known with term "strafe" at FPS games. Can I do it somehow?

They normally do it whenever there is something to take cover behind near. Don't know if you can actually control it yourself

They normally do it whenever there is something to take cover behind near. Don't know if you can actually control it yourself

Really? I have never seen aliens do it. I have seen them crawling and kneeing but never running sideways, only that brainsucked x-com soldier has done it so far.

You have to be standing at a corner and you must set your soldier's disposition to 'cautious'. The soldier will sidestep behind the wall and pop in and out while shooting at the enemy target automatically.

Neat, but requires the use of a wall.

- NKF

Edited by NKF

You have to be standing at a corner and you must set your soldier's disposition to 'cautious'. The soldier will sidestep behind the wall and pop in and out while shooting at the enemy target automatically.

- NKF

They do it at standard mode too but not as much as when on cautious mode.

'Cautious' is the standard mode. 'Safe' is the let's-advance-quickly-in-reverse mode. ;) (I was using the names in the pop-up labels for reference)

- NKF

Edited by NKF

- NKF

Nice! Thanks! I get much cooler battles now. (Even though unleashing he11 with aggressive mode and 6 soldiers with heavy launchers and m4000 is looking pretty cool too :wink: )

Here's something that's not entirely related, but since it uses the same modifiers, I thought it might be of interest. Apart from sidestepping now being added to your reportoire of useful moves to use against the enemies, here's one other:

Try walking towards your enemies. Just walk. Don't run. Agressive mode helps too. As you're walking, your soldier continues to shoot. It's a bit Space: Above and Beyond'ish, but it's pretty effective sometimes if pulled off just right.

Try it against the spitters and wear some shields just for a bit of practice.

If you love dramatic fight scenes, advancing on your enemies slowly while your guns continue to blaze...

It's incredibly stupid, but certainly makes for some great tales to tell afterwards. :)

- NKF

Edited by NKF

I always wondered why they did shoot sometimes while they moved and sometimes not. So it is like they DON'T shoot while running but does shoot while walking yes? What about while crawling?

i dont remember seeing my men shooting while crawling.

maybe it depends on what type of attack mode they are(standard or agressive)

i allways had mine on aggresssive

i dont think they shoot while crawling :wacko:

No, they can't shoot while crawling. Logically, it's reasonable. You have to make use of your arms to pull yourself forward - it would be very difficult to aim your gun while doing so.

- NKF

I love these new things I've learned! I even read the manual to get some new info. I didn't know apoc had keyboard shortcuts until now :) I just never read the manual, it's still in the gamebox.. :D