XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Melee For All?

Exo2000

Would it be possible to, at some point, add a melee option to all weapons? So that soldiers actually have some damaging defense against that twat with the stunrod trying to poke them in the butt? :wink1:

Cheese graters.

Oh and katanas :wub:

Well, swords of some kind anyway, heavier than a knife yet more powerful, maybe two-handed.

I know this has been suggested before for Xenocide, kicks and punches? I mean, these soldiers are supposed to be the best in the world (which shows how pitiful the world is) so you'd think they'd know some kind of martial art or something.

Why would you want to brain somebody if you could just unload an autoshot (which will surely kill) into his gut? Quite simply, the game system doesn't lend itself to proper melee system integration. You've got no parrys, you can't knock a target down, heck right now you can't even cause fatal wounds.

With reaction fire, melee is even less feasible.

I doubt a human or sectoid could even make a muton flinch :squint:

actually, at one point a while ago there was a katana you could use

Do you know how pathetic a melee punch\kick\headbutt would do to a muton\standard armor\powersuit\flyingsuit? If ever tried, even the best martial artists would break their hands\shins\skulls for even trying such a stunt :wink1:

I think if a sectoid was stricked at, your hand would hit its body and bounce off.

Sectoid skin = rubber :wink1:

Why do you think they are so easy to kill :naughty:

Skin doesn't really have to do with anything, its what is underneath the skin that counts. Punch someone as hard as you can on the top of his or her head and you will break your hand. You jab someone in the brachial artery on their neck and they would be out cold for a couple minutes...

But my opinion, why would you want to do that, one, you don't want to get that close unless you have to, and its not like your going to run up in snap their neck. Turn based punching? This kind of fighting would have to be real time. Plus it would take too much work for them to implement it. You have a weapon... Use it

There's always the case of not having any ammo left.

Perhaps melee attacks with weapons should cause stun damage (ala the Stun Rod) in varying amounts?

There's always the case of not having any ammo left.

Perhaps melee attacks with weapons should cause stun damage (ala the Stun Rod) in varying amounts?

True, but there is always something before you go to your hands only, like you said, with a weapon, I'd throw the stock of my shotgun into someones face before i drop it on the ground.. and even before hands I still have a ka-bar..

Yeah, but in some situations, why take the time to take out a sharp thing when you can beat them senseless, THEN take out the sharp thing? :D

In most situations you already have something out before you are confronted with something, you don't want to be caught offguard. Either way, I just don't think it is necessary to impliment into this game.

But personally, I wouldn't want to be going hand to tail with some 300 pound snake.. I'd brather shoot from couple hundred yards away, go home and eat a steak.

Be a vegetarian, yo :P

And now I know this was discussed for Xenocide already, and they reached the same conclusion we're gonna reach: No lightsabers. :(

I'm pretty sure a majority didn't like this idea, might be wrong though.

Anyway, you'd think throwing a Heavy Plasma (it's called that for a reason) at someone would hurt, so why not add in a "Throw At" below the "Throw" option?

When you get too heavy there comes a point where you can't really throw anymore, and really what you want is density, trust me, you can do allot of damage with just an empty pistol.. But that would be a good option for when you run out of ammo. You won't have to worry about picking it up, it will be taken back when you accomplish the mission.

Tsereve, there already is a lightsaber, don't you actually look at the galactic weapons mod?

tsereve, why be a vegetarian when i can eat vegetables and meat

You eat your vegitables so you can eat your dessert.

Anyways, maybe an alternative version of ufo2000 could be made with a medival style theme? If done decently that could work.

As per throwing the heavy plasma, maybe the heavy plasma could be rigged to explode. Like, I agree on removing the autoshot on it (I think it was the Heavy Plasma that had the auto shot removed). The explosion would be big enough compared to how far you would be able to throw it. Giving people trying to be cheap and only arming their team with Heavy Plasma a surprise when it blows up in their faces.

Edited by DakeDesu

The Heavy Plasma did have the autoshot removed. But not in my offline game. (In my version of X-COM, my Heavy Plasma still has it's Autofire, but not on my version of UFO2k)

Well I wouldn't imagine that UFO2K would modify the original game files--just take them as reference.

Also an expansion on the exploding Heavy Plasma--if you require time to run away, so it doesn't blow you up, most likely your opponent will have the same time you do run away.

Well I wouldn't imagine that UFO2K would modify the original game files--just take them as reference.

Also an expansion on the exploding Heavy Plasma--if you require time to run away, so it doesn't blow you up, most likely your opponent will have the same time you do run away.

Let's not try to make the weapons more complicated more than they should be. :)

BTW: That is what grenades, cannons, and rocket launchers are for, we don't want to make them useless now do we? ;)

Aye, keep exploding to the weapons that are meant to explode.

Still, it would be pretty cool if you could prime explosive ammo. :D