XCOMUFO & Xenocide

The Hallucinoid Mystery

Gurluas2000

i occasionally discovered i could control part of an hallucinoid through molecular contol!

so i kept trying different forumales on the creatures :spank: :whip: :Poke:

and suddenly i owned the main part of the hallucinoid... then i moved the hallucinoid and it got shot by a tasoth and died... next turn a tentaculat was suddenly mine!!!!! (hallucinoid)

i found another hallu and controlled it... i gave it a sonic cannon and wandered against the artifact exit(hallures... then i click abort mission and goes to artifact level2...

my hallucinoid was stuck into 6-7 main pieces.

and they killed my hallu in one turn.

then i went back to my old savegame and got all mens to the exit.

next turn the hallu was not stuck.

it was right under the synonium so i got it to the top and blew the

synonium and was on my way back(hard)

i got out safely with the hallucinoid.

when my ship got home i had a coelacant g cannon!!

i bought ammo and took on a new mission.

this time it wastn an hallucinoid unfortunally but a normal tank.

but i got another hallucinoid under partyally mc.

however it was a traitor,... so i kileld it... then suddenly i had a nearly full hallcinoid another place of the map(hallu2)

wierd huh??

i still havent tested this with triscenes and xarquids.

but i assume it works.

XCOM_Terror_from_the_Deep.rar

Edited by Gurluas2000

In an effort to fix the odd bug in UFO where you only mind controlled a quarter of a large unit, the programmers have apparently introduced a new bug into the system. (i.e. they stuffed up slightly)

First of all, you'll notice that a large unit can be controlled entirely if you start from the primary quarter (that's the top left corner if you look at the overhead map). But you only gain partial control if you control different sections. If you go clockwise, if you control the upper right corner, you gain 3/4ths of the large unit. If you control the lower right, you gain 2/4ths of the units, and if you go for the lower left, you only gain 1/4ths of the units.

My guess is that the game is somehow messing up when it's returning the ownership of the various quarters and getting the position of the main quarter (that's the upper left corner) wrong and thus flipping the ownership of a large unit that's not related to this unit.

If it sounds confusing, it is.

Let me see if I can explain. In the unit file, the large units are stored like:

Hallucinoid Quarter 1

Hallucinoid Quarter 2

Hallucinoid Quarter 3 *

Hallucinoid Quarter 4

Hallucinoid Quarter 1

Hallucinoid Quarter 2

Hallucinoid Quarter 3

Hallucinoid Quarter 4

When you mind control quarter 1, the game attempts to give you control of all 4 quarters. (In UFO, you only got the one)

Assuming you went after quarter 3, you only get quarters 3 and 4. Now the fun bit is that I think the game may be trying to reset the ownership for all 4 quarters even if you only got the first 2 quarters - but the problem is it's resetting it from the quarter you mind controlled rather than from the start of the unit.

Let's say the hallucinoid quarter I put the asterisk next to is the one you controlled - you'll only get half control of this unit. The game may get confused and give back quarter 3 and 4 on the next turn, and might go a bit further and swap the ownership of quarter 1 and 2 for the next unit in the list (even if you've never seen it). Hence why you got sudden permanent control of that tentaculat (or whatever else was next in the list).

What's happening is that the game doesn't remember where the unit starts and so it goes to what it does know. Unfortunately it doesn't always know when to stop returning ownership of a large unit.

Agh, if anyone understood that sentence and can explain with a better example, please do.

---

Of course then there's those really odd moments where a mind controlled large unit dies but leaves a coelacanth corpse... (something similar happens in UFO too). Chalk that up to data corruption - along with the UFO mutons that get burnt to death and turn into female civilians.

- NKF

Edited by NKF

when a mind controlled units dies and leave a coelacanth corpse then its actually because the game thinks its a coelacanth.

just notice that my hallu turned into a coelacanth...

welll but now all we need is someone to look into soldier.dat

and explore the other values.

then we might find alien ranks and skins...

i WANT A CALCINITE :P

• 1 year later...

Well I read this thread the other day, and since I have a couple of fairly strong mc guys now, I thought I'd have a go at taking over a halucinoid, for the heck of it. To my surprise it worked, and I had a little swim about and explored some of an alien colony with him. A turn or two later, I managed to get control of it again, but this time I specifically avoided mc'ing the top square, in the hopes of finding some interesting bugs.

I took control of the bottom section, which let me move it about, but it could always see itself as an enemy. Also, it was trying to reserve for snap shot, dispite not having a weapon in either hand. Then I tried clicking its inventory button, and surprisingly it opened, so I took a piccie. There was nothing in the inventory, but I was amused by the way the character it used for the picture was one of the fat ones (coincidence I'm sure, but cute). Also note the rather odd rank icon. I then tried to cycle through the inventories of all my men and couldnt get into the halu one, but clicking the icon still worked. After I had done this, but still on the turn I took control of it, I was able to control another halu on the other side of the map, but only for that one turn.

http://static.flickr.com/37/124954641_7a8891088f_m.jpg

After I had taken my turn, and moved the halu to the end of its time units... it then moved as normal during the alien phase, and covered quite a lot of ground. The next turn, it wasn't under my control, but it didn't show up as an alien either (no blinking number when in sight, couldn't use mc attacks against it).

But of course, as my mother would say, stranger things happen at sea.