ind

Squaddie

• Forum Members
  • PipPip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 December 2003 - 07:19 PM

First of all, Merry Christmas guys ^_^

Now for the drama.

My brother gave me Apoc as a present, but it turns out the game is nowhere near as windows compatible as the box makes it out to be ^_^. This eventually led me to this board and as a result I've been spending the last 2 hours reading the tons of threads about getting the game to run on Win XP.

However...it still won't work :LOL:

All the stuff should be allright, I got all the files/buffers/sound stuff set correctly in VDMS and I installed the SVGA fixes. I even installed the CD crack just for the heck of it, even though I have a CD.

The problem is that my game just shows a blackscreen for 2 seconds and then just quits. Be it back to windows, back to the win dosbox or back to the VDMS dosbox. I haven't seen this problem in any of the threads I've read yet. I often see people reporting black screens and all that, but their black screens just stay there. My black screen just quits itself after a few seconds and returns to whatever state it was in previously(dos/windows/vdms).

Lastly, I do use a Radeon 9700 Pro, I'm not sure if this can be causing the trouble, but I think I read that somewhere.

Just one word left to say now I guess: HELP! :crying:

Edit:
Allright, I just stumbled upon this thread which is starting to make me think the copy of Apoc I have is faulty, since the CD I have is still a burned one, made by my brother.
I'll try the downloaded version asap, but any suggestions are still welcome ;)

Edited by ind, 26 December 2003 - 07:28 PM.

#2 Whitewashed

Whitewashed

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 26 December 2003 - 08:10 PM

You might as well give up, I haven't heard of anyone able to run it on a NT based OS. I tried and asked help on VOGONS but they told me the same, give up. Install Windows 98 or something, it's the only way.

#3 Puasonen

Puasonen

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 2,911 posts

Posted 27 December 2003 - 02:03 AM

Well actually it worked on my winXP.

So are you using VDMsound AND dosbox? Interesting..
Few questions:
1. Which version of dosbox do you have?
2. If you disable sound from setup, will it work then?
There's no need for a sig..

#4 Micah

Micah

Colonel

• [[Administrators]]
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 27 December 2003 - 02:16 AM

Works great on my XP, too. If ind followed the steps laid out in the post he linked to (and the posts it links to) he has probably gotten it working, too. The cracked copy on the net is the easiest way to get it working...

#5 Puasonen

Puasonen

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 2,911 posts

Posted 28 December 2003 - 10:17 AM

Works great on my XP, too. If ind followed the steps laid out in the post he linked to (and the posts it links to) he has probably gotten it working, too. The cracked copy on the net is the easiest way to get it working...

Yeah, I just hated the absence of music so I abandoned it. And don't tell me to play my own music while playing, Britney Spears really doesn't make the game thrilling enough :D

#6 ind

ind

Squaddie

• Forum Members
  • PipPip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 December 2003 - 02:09 PM

Well, apparantly my CD copy was fauly, because it's all working fine now that I use Brute's crcaked copy.

Woot! :)

#7 Deathskull

Deathskull

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 08:10 PM

I used brutes copy and all the fixes and all i get is a black screen. What have i done wrong?!??!
USA Today has come out with a new survey: Apparently three out of four people make up 75 percent of the population.
- David Letterman

#8 Cpl. Facehugger

Cpl. Facehugger

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 3,749 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 09:00 PM

I don't know, but I use "Cpl. Facehuggers Classic CD" Or rather, I still have my original CD from when it originally came out! :P
I'm only partially inactive. :P I can still be reached at cpl.facehugger@gmail.com, and via PM. Preferably the former.

*Coming back? Avast! Facehugger, finish your assignments!*

Posted Image

#9 Puasonen

Puasonen

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 2,911 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 05:31 AM

I have the original cd too, it's just that it's in broken (unreadable) shape. :(

#10 j'ordos

j'ordos

Alien Concept Task Force

• Xenocide Artwork Department
  • 5,059 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 10:11 AM

I used brutes copy and all the fixes and all i get is a black screen. What have i done wrong?!??!

follow the instructions from the pinned topic 'xcom3 works win2k' or something. If you already did that, well, I guess you can't really do much... :whatwhat:
"You can't trust your eyes if your imagination's out of focus" - Mark Twain
"The mind is like an umbrella, it functions best when open" - Walter Gropius
Posted Image
SNEKK BLOG U-LAR MEKHH! GAHGHH! RK!
GRRGH RGGHH SNORRTT GHACKHGG

Now presented in DoubleVision™ (where drunk)

Reply to this topic