XCOMUFO & Xenocide

I Have Apoc Running In Win2k

I was unable to install the game through Win2k for some reason, so I had to use DOSBox to get it installed. Next, I copied the entire 'XCOM3' directory from the CD to my hard drive, and run the game with the fakecd utility, having altered the xcom3.bat file to incorporate sound emulation and the mouse fix. So everything works--I have music, the game runs smoothly, etc. However, it seems every so often when there is a memory intensive task, the game crashes. Any ideas? Anyone have a similar problem? Edited by Hulloder

you got the nocd thingy to work then? :)

Unfortunately I would have no clue as of how to fix this. Save often and disable as much background tasks as possible might help... Perhaps increasing the priority of the xcom3 process in the task manager?

Yes, I got it to work. I didn't see my earlier thread anywhere, so for a moment I wondered if I had hallucinated it. :)

I haven't yet made it to a tactical battle, but I've been incrementally saving my progress, so I almost have my soldiers armed and ready to go. Oh, and I also used the SVGA fixes as well--not sure if I mentioned that above.

Actually, I still have the same problem. I left the CD in, since it hadn't worked in the past anyway, but now I find that the game was actually reading from the CD(!) and I know that Apoc isn't very friendly in recognizing my CD drive in any circumstances, hence the nocd fix. Unfortunately I still am unable to get the fix to work, apparently, since Apoc is still attempting to read my CD drive as opposed to the copied files. I noticed the freezes I mentioned coincided with the whirring of the CD drive and it was pretty clear then what was going on. :)

(NOTE: I own the game, and am only pursuing means to get it to work again--it will not work off the cd)

no, you didn't hallucinate it, a moderator moved it to the AC (software piracy related, more or less). If you have installed the crack correctly, try running the game without the CD. I believe that even with the nocd patch, you can still use the cd for the music, but if the CD is damaged, that might result in the game freezing (mostly when it's about to start a new song), had it myself a while ago. You won't have music if you remove the CD, but it should work.

Doesn't work, unfortunately. I think I better understand how the fakecd util works, however. Now I think the problem may be that my command line doesn't recognize my CD-ROM drive D, or that my xcom3.cfg file is messed up. What does a normal xcom3.cfg look like? Mine just contains two small boxes with no text. Edited by Hulloder

• 1 month later...