XCOMUFO & Xenocide

CTD - Alien Base

Blehm 98

I'll take a stab at it kafros. My usual notations: strikethroughs for deletions, blue for additions and purple for rewording.

ALIEN BASE

X-Net://Pegasus.net/Alien/Research/Alien Base

The inceptive purpose of the X-Corps project is to repel the Alien threat and protect humanity at all cost. Thus, the interception of Alien ships UFOs is a primary tactical objective. The evidence that Aliens have established flight patterns around the globe has puzzled X-Corps. The most logical solutions were that the Aliens had a mother ship in orbit or fixed military bases on Earth. From the information analysis of an Alien a Navigator interrogation, it has been corroborated that Aliens indeed have established bases on Earth, although the mother ship speculation has not been attested. Now we are aware of the modus operandi Aliens follow in order to establish their bases, consisting of three stages.

The first and longest stage comprises the surveillance and preparation procedures. Scout ships are launched in order to examine the general lay of the land, locate human settlements, and document notable features. Larger vessels are progressively sent in to do detailed scans and further scouting of the area. Once the Aliens decide that they have enough information to successfully establish a perimeter and build a base, a battleship is sent to the location to begin the excavation process. Upon arrival at the predetermined site, it will hover over the ground, using gravitational waves to excavate create a deep, leveled hole designed to contain the future underground base.

The second stage, usually taking two weeks, includes the actual construction with excavation of a massive underground tunnel complex. For this, several teams of Alien engineers and workers are deployed. One of the first tasks is the installation of a detection array, allowing automated intruder detection and prompt warning leading to an instantaneous camouflaging of the building site. After the general excavation framework has been completed, the Battleship will drop large sheets of Alien alloys to form the roof and line the tunnel walls.

During the third stage, the last but vital steps for the base’s completion are performed. Extra wall pieces segments are added, the interior is furnished and the rooms become ready for their various uses. Power sources are set-up and foliage is planted in order to provide suitable air and energy to the whole construction. Two rooms serve as gravity lifts in order to permit access to the complex. Afterwards, the base’s command center will be established. A large gravity lift is mounted on the lower floor, leading to the center second one which leads up to the control room where computers, electronic equipment and communication arrays are located. As soon as the whole system is online and calibrated correctly, the third stage ends and base construction is nearly completed.

At this point, a Battleship will backfill the site with the spoils, while the engineers work on the surroundings in order to prepare a natural-looking environment for effective camouflage. In order to detect an Alien Base, our crafts must execute advanced surveillance and spying techniques at suspected locations. Reconnaissance photographs and data will be provided to X-Corps experts for analysis. The Intelligence Division remarks that increased Alien activity will be detected around established Alien bases.

“2 weeks for a whole base?! I want to use this Alien know-how and build a giant shopping mall in no time!”

– Private Joe Greens

The three processes seemed to be muddled together. I decided on having a surveillance and excavation process, a construction process and a furnishing process. This makes the whole construction timeline easier to follow. I also incorporated most of your suggestions Mad, and did some minor spelling and punctuation changes. Hope you guys like this revision. :wink1:

- Zombie

Edited by Zombie

Yep, definitely something that will be corrected in the next draft, which I'll try to provide to your experienced eyes ASAP. It seems Rhino won't bother much with this CT

That's alright , I'll help with this one. Just you wait and see, we'll knock this CT out like nothing - I hope. :D

- Zombie

• 2 weeks later...

I think this is complete. What do you think?

I've implemented Zombie's ideas in this draft and made some myself.

ALIEN BASE

The inceptive purpose of the X-Corps project is to repel the Alien threat and protect humanity at all cost. Thus, the interception of UFOs is a primary tactical objective. The evidence that Aliens have established flight patterns around the globe has puzzled X-Corps. The most logical solutions were that the Aliens had a mother ship in orbit or fixed military bases on Earth. From the information analysis of a Navigator interrogation, it has been corroborated that Aliens indeed have established bases on Earth, although the mother ship speculation has not been attested. Now we are aware of the modus operandi Aliens follow in order to establish their bases, consisting of three stages.

The first and longest stage comprises the surveillance and preparation procedures. Scout ships are launched in order to examine the general lay of the land, locate human settlements, and document notable features. Larger vessels are progressively sent in to do detailed scans and further scouting of the area. Once the Aliens decide that they have enough information to successfully establish a perimeter and build a base, a battleship is sent to the specified location to begin the excavation process. Upon arrival at the predetermined site, it will hover over the ground, using gravitational waves to create a deep, leveled hole designed to contain the future underground base.

The second stage, usually taking two weeks, includes the actual construction of a massive underground tunnel complex. For this, several teams of Alien engineers and workers are deployed. One of the first tasks is the installation of a detection array, allowing automated intruder detection and prompt warning leading to an instantaneous camouflaging of the building site. After the general framework has been completed, the Battleship will drop large sheets of Alien composites as lining of the roof and tunnel walls.

During the third stage, the last but vital steps for the base’s completion are performed. Extra wall segments are added, the interior is furnished and the rooms become ready for various operations. Power sources are set-up and foliage is planted in order to provide suitable air and energy to the whole construction. Two rooms serve as gravity lifts in order to permit access to the complex. Afterwards, the command center will be established. A large gravity lift is mounted on the lower floor, which leads up to the control room where computers, electronic equipment and communication arrays are located. As soon as the whole system is online and calibrated correctly, the third stage ends and base construction is nearly completed.

At this point, a Battleship will backfill the site with the spoils, while the engineers work on the surroundings in order to prepare a natural-looking environment for effective camouflage. In order to detect an Alien Base, our crafts must execute advanced surveillance and spying techniques at suspected locations. Reconnaissance photographs and data will be provided to X-Corps experts for analysis. The Intelligence Division remarks that increased Alien activity will be detected around established bases.

“2 weeks for a whole base?! I want to use this Alien know-how and build a giant shopping mall in no time!”

– Private Joe Greens

Excelent, excelent!...I found a few things I didn't like about it though (sorry!) Such as this sentence; "Thus, the interception of UFOs is a primary tactical objective" and the fact that most of the sentences are single and blunt e.g. these two:

"The evidence that Aliens have established flight patterns around the globe has puzzled X-Corps. The most logical solutions were that the Aliens had a mother ship in orbit or fixed military bases on Earth" (try to merge them?)

I will post my own input - no idea how long that will take as I my parents have insisted :crying1:(I say insisted! :P) that i sit in the study for any Internet Access which has really pissed me off cos I don't feel confortable sitting here while they can look over my shoulder + the keyboard is really noisy! :killmonitor:

I will print out Kafros' passage and edit it in the comfort of my room (Ahhh B)) Hopefully getting bak in the next 24hours

Edited by Ghost5831

LOL soz i will get on it today, ive been really busy lately a)New Girlfriend ;) B ) helping parents redecorate their room c) getting ready for college...I dunno what u Americans call it but its the year you turn 17....I get really confused with "grades" and "high School"

Ok I will get on it....ive printed it out so I should get it done this afternoon (GMT)

Edited by Ghost5831

We aren't all Americans :P. Actually, most people are from Europe and 4-5 guys are from South America (including Red Knight and Azrael). For example, I'm greek (hellin :))

Yes, some countries have 12 years of "compulsory school" and you enter college at 17. Here in greece, the 12th grade (when you finish the senior high school) is finished when you enter 18 (although, usually, children are 17 years and 8+ months old :P)

So, I'll wait for your comments

Edited by kafros

Here is my Long awaited input :P

Blue - Additions

Green - Comments

Strikethrough - deletions (I didn't strike all of them though :()

I think this is complete. What do you think?

I've implemented Zombie's ideas in this draft and made some myself.

ALIEN BASE

The inceptive purpose of the X-Corps project is to repel the Alien threat and protect humanity at all costs; The interception of UFOs, therefore, is our primary tactical objective. The evidence that Aliens have established flight patterns around the globe has puzzled X-Corps; The most logical solutions is that the Aliens have had a mother ship in orbit or a number of fixed military bases on Earth. From the information analysis of we gathered from the interrogation of an Alien Navigator, it has been corroborated that Aliens indeed havethey have indeed established bases on Earth, although the mother ship speculation has not been attested. Now, we are aware of the modus operandi Aliens follow in order to establish their bases, consisting of these three stages. - without the comma it does not sound right because we say "Now we are aware of x we can do y" and this aint the case!

The first and longest stage comprises the surveillance and preparation procedures: Scout ships are launched in order to examine the general lay of the land, locate human settlements, and document notable features. Larger vessels are progressively sent in to do detailed scans and further scouting of the area. Once the Aliens decide that they have enough information to successfully establish a perimeter and build a base, a battleship is sent to the specified location to begin the excavation process. Upon arrival at the predetermined site, it will hover over the ground, using gravitational waves to create a deep, leveled hole designed to contain the future underground base.

The second stage, usually taking two weeks, includes the actual construction of an extensive massive (sounds more professional) underground tunnel complex. For this, several teams of Alien engineers and workers are deployed to the site. One of the first tasks is the installation of a detection array, allowing automated intruder detection and prompt warning, leading to an instantaneous camouflaging of the building site. After the general framework has been completed, the Battleship will drop large sheets of Alien composites as lining of the roof and tunnel walls.

During the third stage, the last, but vital steps for the base’s completion are performed. Extra wall segments are added, the interior is furnished and the rooms become ready for various operations. Power sources are set-up and foliage is planted in order to provide a suitable air and energy (plants provide energy to the aliens??) enviroment for to the whole construction. Two rooms serve as gravity lifts in order to permit access to the complex(more?), with further research we could use these to our advantage when assaulting (example!). Afterwards, the command center will be established. A large gravity lift is mounted on the lower floor, which leads up to the control room where computers, electronic equipment and communication arrays are located. As soon as the whole system is online and calibrated correctly, the third stage ends and base construction is nearly completed.

At this point, a Battleship will backfill the site with the spoils, while the engineers work on the surroundings in order to prepare a natural-looking environment for effective camouflage. In order to detect an Alien Base, our crafts must execute advanced surveillance and spying techniques at suspected locations. Reconnaissance photographs and data will be provided to X-Corps experts for analysis. The Intelligence Division remarks that increased Alien activity will be detected around established bases.

– Private Joe Greens

ALIEN BASE

The inceptive purpose of the X-Corps project is to repel the Alien threat and protect humanity at all costs. Thus, the interception of UFOs is our primary tactical objective. The evidence that Aliens have established flight patterns around the globe has puzzled X-Corps. The most logical solution is that the Aliens have a mother ship in orbit or a number of fixed military bases on Earth. From the information we gathered from the interrogation of a Navigator, it has been corroborated that Aliens have indeed established bases on Earth, although the mother ship speculation has not been attested. We are now aware of the modus operandi the Aliens follow in order to establish their bases which normally comprise of three stages.

The first and longest stage comprises consists of the surveillance and preparation procedures: Scout ships are launched in order to examine the general lay of the land, locate human settlements, and document notable features. Larger vessels are progressively sent in to do detailed scans and further scouting of the area. Once the Aliens decide that they have enough information to successfully establish a perimeter and build a base, a battleship is sent to the specified location to begin the excavation process. Upon arrival at the predetermined site, it will hover over the ground, using gravitational waves to create a deep, leveled hole designed to contain the future underground base.

The second stage, usually taking two weeks, includes the actual construction of an extensive underground tunnel complex. For this, several teams of Alien engineers and workers are deployed to the site. One of the first tasks is the installation of a detection array, allowing automated intruder detection and prompt warning, leading to an instantaneous camouflaging of the building site. After the general framework has been completed, the Battleship will drop large sheets of Alien composites as lining of the roof and tunnel walls.

During the third stage, the last, but vital steps for the base’s completion are performed. Extra wall segments are added, the interior is furnished and the rooms become ready for various operations. Power sources are set-up and foliage is planted in order to provide a suitable enviroment for the whole construction installation. Two rooms serve as gravity lifts in order to permit access to the complex. Afterwards, the command center will be established. A large gravity lift is mounted on the lower floor, which leads up to the control room where computers, electronic equipment and communication arrays are located. As soon as the whole system is online and calibrated correctly, the third stage ends and base construction is nearly completed.

– Private Joe Greens

Most changes implemented, and some minor rewording to boot. I'm hoping we can agree on the last sentence in paragraph 1.

Ghost, try not to use too many semicolons. While it does combine things, the result is often a huge sentence which makes comprehension harder. Sometimes spoon-feeding smaller chunks is better.

Kafros, please take another look at this text. I'm fine with it if you are. If not, make some changes and we'll do this again until it's just right. :wink1:

- Zombie

• 3 weeks later...

Just a smattering of comments:

para. 2, sent. 1: words following a colon are typically lowercase, but I'm not sure whether "Scout" is the name of the ship or the role of the ship

para. 4, sent. 1: a comma isn't needed after "last", but perhaps consider: "During the third stage, the last essential steps prior to the base's completion are performed."

para. 4, sent. 4: This sentence parses a bit strangely because it starts with "afterwards", but it follows a sentence that has no hint of chronology ("serves" sort of implies that it always has been serving rather than being activated/commissioned/designated/etc.)

• 4 months later...

ALIEN BASE

X-Net://Pegasus.net/Alien/Research/Base

The inceptive purpose of the X-Corps project is to repel the Alien threat and protect humanity at all costs. Thus, detection and interception of UFOs is our primary strategic objective. The evidence that Aliens have established flight patterns around the globe has puzzled X-Corps. The most logical solution is that the Aliens have a mother ship in orbit or a number of fixed military bases on Earth. From the information we gathered from the interrogation of a Navigator, it has been corroborated that Aliens have indeed established bases on Earth, although the mother ship speculation has not been attested. We are now aware of the modus operandi the Aliens follow in order to establish their bases which normally comprise of three stages.

The first and longest stage consists of the surveillance and preparation procedures, in which Scouts are launched in order to examine the landscape, locate human settlements and document notable features. Larger vessels are progressively sent in to do detailed scans and further scouting of the area. Once the Aliens decide that they have enough information to successfully establish a perimeter and build a base, a battleship is sent to the specified location to begin the excavation process. Upon arrival at the predetermined site, it will hover over the ground, using gravitational waves to create a deep, leveled hole designed to support and contain the future underground base.

The second stage, usually taking two weeks, includes the actual construction of an extensive underground tunnel complex. For this, several teams of alien engineers and workers are deployed to the site. One of the first tasks is the installation of a detection array, allowing automated intruder detection and prompt warning, leading to a precipitate camouflage of the building site. After the general framework has been completed, the battleship will drop large sheets of alien composites as lining of the roof and tunnel walls.

During the third stage, the last essential steps prior to the base's completion are performed. Extra wall segments are added, the interior is furnished and the rooms become ready for various operations. Power sources are set-up and foliage is planted in order to provide a suitable environment for the whole installation. Two rooms serve as gravity lifts in order to permit access to the complex. A large gravity lift is mounted on the lower floor, which leads up to the control room where computers, electronic equipment and communication arrays are located. As soon as the command center is established, the whole system setups and undergoes calibrations. The third stage ends and base construction is nearly completed.

At this point, a battleship will backfill the site with the spoils, while the engineers work on the surroundings in order to prepare a natural-looking environment for effective camouflage. In order to detect an Alien Base, our crafts must execute advanced surveillance and spying techniques at suspected locations. Reconnaissance photographs and data will be provided to X-Corps experts for analysis. The Intelligence Division remarks that increased Alien activity will be detected around established bases.

– Private Joe Greens

• 1 month later...
ALIEN BASE

The inceptive an inceptive purpose can not stand in present time - at least not in this context. anyway, I think it's not the inceptive purpose, but still it's one and only purpose. purpose purpose? what do you think of something in the lines of "mission statement"? of the X-Corps project is to repel the Alien threat and protect humanity at all costs. Thus, detection and interception of UFOs is our primary strategic objective. The evidence that Aliens have established flight patterns around the globe has puzzled X-Corps. The most logical solution is that the Aliens have a mother ship in orbit or a number of fixed military bases on Earth. From the information we gathered from the interrogation of a Navigator, it has been corroborated that Aliens have indeed established bases on Earth, although the mother ship speculation has not been attested can not be rejected/revoked as of yet?. We are now aware of the modus operandi the Aliens follow in order to establish their bases which normally comprise of three stages.

The first and longest stage consists of the surveillance and preparation procedures, in which Scouts are launched in order to examine the landscape, locate human settlements and document notable features. Larger vessels are progressively sent in to do detailed scans and further scouting of the area. Once the Aliens decide that they have enough information to successfully establish a perimeter and build a base, a battleship is sent to the specified location to begin the excavation process. Upon arrival at the predetermined site, it will hover over the ground, using gravitational waves to create a deep, leveled hole designed to support and contain the future underground base.

The second stage, usually taking around? two weeks, includes the actual construction of an extensive underground tunnel complex. For this, several teams of alien engineers and workers are deployed to the site. One of the first tasks is the installation of a detection array, allowing automated intruder detection and prompt warning, leading to a precipitate camouflage of the building site. After the general framework has been completed, the battleship will drop large sheets of alien composites as lining of the roof and tunnel walls.

During the third stage, the last essential steps prior to the base's completion are performed. Extra wall segments are added, the interior is furnished and the rooms become ready for various operations. Power sources are set-up and foliage is planted in order to provide a suitable environment for the whole installation. Two rooms serve as gravity lifts in order to permit access to the complex. A large gravity lift is mounted on the lower floor, which leads up to the control room where computers, electronic equipment and communication arrays are located. As soon as the command center is established, the whole system setups ? what do you want to say? boots? and undergoes calibrations. The third stage ends and base construction is nearly completed.

At this point, a battleship will backfill the site with the spoils, while the engineers work on the surroundings in order to prepare a natural-looking environment for effective camouflage. In order to detect an Alien Base, our crafts must execute advanced surveillance and spying techniques at suspected locations. Reconnaissance photographs and data will be provided to X-Corps experts for analysis. The Intelligence Division remarks that increased Alien activity will be detected around established bases.

– Private Joe Greens

Comments by Davo:

Third line of the 1st paragraph, should UFOs have an apostrophe?

2nd par, "Larger vessels are progressively sent in to do detailed scans and further scouting of the area" to "do"? perhaps perform?

2nd par, end of second line "Once the Aliens decide that they have enough information to successfully establish a perimeter and build a base..." would it read better "Once the aliens have gathered enough information to successfully establish a perimiter and build a base...." ? What/who decides that they have enough informataion? How do we know when that happens other than the next step of the base building happens?

4th par, "Extra wall segments are added, the interior of the complex is furnished and the rooms become ready for various operations"

4th par, "A large gravity lift is mounted on the lower floor, is the comma needed? which leads up to the control room where computers, electronic equipment and communication arrays are located"

> insert: Dave just found the controls and 'script?' for using srikeout and color... hahah, Never joined a forum before... sorry :)

Also in that sentence, would it be 'wrong' in the past present future tense (disrupt the whole article) to say "...the lower floor that leads up to the control room...."?

4th par, "the whole system setups and undergoes calibrations" perhaps the whole system performs/runs diagnostics and undergoes...."

4th par, last line "The third stage ends and base construction is nearly completed." Past tense completed? should it be complete? Oh ya, thought at this point i might say I did not actually pass college level english, so all of the above may be completely wrong, but i do read a lot of books.... if that sort of compensates :P

5th par, again is the comma needed after spoils? hmm.. now that i re-read it probally....

5th par, "while the engineers work on the surroundings in order to prepare a natural-looking environment for effective camouflage", Was this not done during the second stage after the engineers install the automated intruder alert? Or are these two different things? Or is the precipitate just a mock thing while these guys finetune the camo?

ALIEN BASE

X-Corps' mission statement is to repel the Alien threat and protect humanity at all costs. Thus, detection and interception of UFOs is our primary strategic objective. The evidence that Aliens have established flight patterns around the globe has puzzled X-Corps. The most logical solution is that the Aliens have a mother ship in orbit or a number of fixed military bases on Earth. From the information we gathered from the interrogation of a Navigator, it has been corroborated that Aliens have indeed established bases on Earth, although the mother ship speculation can not be revoked as of yet. After extensive interrogation of the Alien Navigator and and careful analysis of the available data, we are now aware of the modus operandi the Aliens follow in order to establish their bases which normally comprise of three stages.

No apostrophe, it's used as the plural of “UFO” :)

The first and longest stage consists of the surveillance and preparation procedures, in which Scouts are launched in order to examine the landscape, locate human settlements and document notable features. Larger vessels are progressively sent in to perform detailed scans and further scouting of the area. Whenever new information is acquired, the navigator sends the data back to the alien HQ. Once the aliens have gathered enough information to successfully establish a safe perimeter and build a base, a battleship is sent to the specified location to begin the excavation process. Upon arrival at the predetermined site, it will hover over the ground, using gravitational waves to create a deep, leveled hole designed to support and contain the future underground base.

The second stage, usually taking around two weeks, includes the actual construction of an extensive underground tunnel complex. For this, several teams of alien engineers and workers are deployed to the site. One of the first tasks is the installation of a detection array, allowing automated intruder detection and prompt warning, leading to a precipitate camouflage of the building site. After the general framework has been completed, the battleship will drop large sheets of alien composites as lining of the roof and tunnel walls.

During the third stage, the last essential steps prior to the base's completion are performed. Extra wall segments are added, the interior of the complex is furnished and the rooms become ready for various operations. Power sources are set-up and foliage is planted in order to provide a suitable environment for the whole installation. Two rooms serve as gravity lifts in order to permit access to the complex. A large gravity lift is mounted on the lower floor and leads up to the control room where computers, electronic equipment and communication arrays are located. As soon as the command center is established, the whole system performs the needed diagnostics, undergoes calibrations and finally boots. The third stage ends and base construction is nearly completed.

At this point, a battleship will backfill the site with the spoils, while the engineers fine-tune the site's camouflage for total integration in the surrounding environment. In order to detect an Alien Base, our crafts must execute advanced surveillance and spying techniques at suspected locations. Reconnaissance photographs and data will be provided to X-Corps experts for analysis. The Intelligence Division remarks that increased Alien activity will be detected around established bases.

– Private Joe Greens

Edited by kafros

ALIEN BASE

X-Corps' mission statementDiffernt colour each time ;) Mission statement IMO sounds more like something religeous from a nunneries mission statement... or a missionaries statement... I dont know what I'm on about.... but perhaps something more along the lines of X-corps Ultimate goal or Ultimate Mission, Priority Mission, or perhaps "guidelines" ;) just think we could do a wee bit better. Or even X-corps was created to repel... is to repel the Alien threat and protect humanity at all costs. Thus, detection and interception of UFOs is our primary strategic objective. The evidence that Aliens have established flight patterns around the globe has puzzled X-Corps. The most logical solution is that the Aliens have a mother ship in orbit or a number of fixed military bases on Earth. From the information we gathered from the interrogation of a Navigator, it has been corroborated that Aliens have indeed established bases on Earth, although the mother ship speculation can not be revoked as of yet. After extensive interrogation of the Alien Navigator and and careful analysis of the available data, we are now aware of the modus operandi the Aliens follow in order to establish their bases which normally comprise of three stages.

The first and longest stage consists of the surveillance and preparation procedures, in which Scouts are launched in order to examine the landscape, locate human settlements and document notable features. Larger vessels are progressively sent in to perform detailed scans and further scouting of the area. Whenever new information is acquired, the navigator sends the data back to the alien HQ. Once the aliens have gathered enough information to successfully establish a safe perimeter and build a base, a battleship Juggernaught... right wrong? Would that also mean Scout has to be changed to probe? is sent to the specified location to begin the excavation process. Upon arrival at the predetermined site, it will hover over the ground, using gravitational waves to create a deep, leveled hole designed to support and contain the future underground base.

The second stage, usually taking around two weeks, includes the actual construction of an extensive underground tunnel complex. For this, several teams of alien engineers and workers are deployed to the site. One of the first tasks is the installation of a detection array, allowing automated intruder detection and prompt warning, leading to a precipitate camouflage of the building site. After the general framework has been completed, the battleship will drop large sheets of alien composites as lining of the roof and tunnel walls.

During the third stage, the last essential steps prior to the base's completion are performed. Extra wall segments are added, the interior of the complex is furnished and the rooms compartments? another just throw it in there ;) I;m happy either way, just thought id ahh... throw that one in there become ready for various operations. Power sources are set-up and foliage is planted in order to provide a suitable environment for the whole installation. Two rooms serve as gravity lifts in order to permit access to the complex. A large gravity lift is mounted on the lower floor and leads up to the control room where computers, electronic equipment and communication arrays are located. As soonOnce? as the command center is established, the whole system performs the needed diagnostics, undergoes calibrations and finally boots. The third stage ends and base construction is nearly completed.

Not fussy, just an annoying twat ;) At the start we say there are usually three stages to base setup, should it be three main stages, or just erase the third stage ends and base construction is nearly complete...? or leave it? Sounds a wee bit confliciting

At this point, a battleship will backfill the site with the spoils, while the engineers fine-tune the site's camouflage for total integration in the surrounding environment. In order to detect an Alien Base, our crafts must execute advanced surveillance and spying techniques at suspected locations. Reconnaissance photographs and data will be provided to X-Corps experts for analysis. The Intelligence Division remarks that increased Alien activity will be detected around established bases.

– Private Joe Greens What kinda guy wants to build another shopping mall? Silly lad... wouldn't you make a huge hover kart racing arena or a replica of Bathurst Race Track? No.... fine..... :(

Ahhh im terrible at this hole colour editing thing... but perserverence may yet win me.. ooo look its lunch time. See ya guys

X-Corps' mission statementDiffernt colour each time ;) Mission statement IMO sounds more like something religeous from a nunneries mission statement... or a missionaries statement... I dont know what I'm on about.... but perhaps something more along the lines of X-corps Ultimate goal or Ultimate Mission, Priority Mission, or perhaps "guidelines" ;) just think we could do a wee bit better. Or even X-corps was created to repel...

No, mission statement is the right word for it. Look it up. It's used everywhere when organizations want to explain in a few words what they are actually doing. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry I have been away for a wee while.... but I'm back.

So, whats next for this baby? Mission staement sounds good :) Next?

np! Missed you! :) Let's wait until kafros finishes the next draft. But he's pretty busy with the CMS atm. So this might take some time.

• 1 month later...

ALIEN BASE

X-Corps' mission statement is to repel the Alien threat and protect humanity at all costs. Thus, detection and interception of UFOs is our primary strategic objective. The evidence that Aliens have established flight patterns around the globe has puzzled X-Corps. The most logical solution is that the Aliens have a mother ship in orbit or a number of fixed military bases on Earth. From the information we gathered from the interrogation of a Navigator, it has been corroborated that Aliens have indeed established bases on Earth, although the mother ship speculation can not be revoked as of yet. After extensive interrogation of the Alien Navigator and and careful analysis of the available data, we are now aware of the modus operandi the Aliens follow in order to establish their bases which normally comprise of three stages.

The first and longest stage consists of the surveillance and preparation procedures, in which Scouts are launched in order to examine the landscape, locate human settlements and document notable features. Larger vessels are progressively sent in to perform detailed scans and further scouting of the area. Whenever new information is acquired, the navigator sends the data back to the alien HQ. Once the aliens have gathered enough information to successfully establish a safe perimeter and build a base, a battleship is sent to the specified location to begin the excavation process. Upon arrival at the predetermined site, it will hover over the ground, using gravitational waves to create a deep, leveled hole designed to support and contain the future underground base.

During the third stage, the last essential steps prior to the base's completion are performed. Extra wall segments are added, the interior of the complex is furnished and the compartments become ready for various operations. Power sources are set-up and foliage is planted in order to provide a suitable environment for the whole installation. Two rooms serve as gravity lifts in order to permit access to the complex. A large gravity lift is mounted on the lower floor and leads up to the control room where computers, electronic equipment and communication arrays are located. Once the command center is established, the whole system performs needed diagnostics, undergoes calibrations and finally boots. At this point, a battleship will backfill the site with the spoils, while the engineers fine-tune the site's camouflage for total integration in the surrounding environment. The third stage ends and base construction is completed.

In order to detect an Alien Base, our crafts must execute advanced surveillance and spying techniques at suspected locations. Reconnaissance photographs and data will be provided to X-Corps experts for analysis. The Intelligence Division remarks that increased Alien activity will be detected around established bases.

"2 weeks for a whole base?! I want to use this Alien know-how and build a Tron-like racing grid in no time!"

- Private Joe Greens

Edited by kafros

ALIEN BASE

The first and longest stage consists of the surveillance and preparation procedures, in which Scouts are launched in order to examine the landscape, locate human settlements and document notable features. Larger vessels are progressively sent in to perform detailed scans and further scouting of the area. Whenever new information is acquired, the navigator sends the data back to the alien HQ. Once the aliens have gathered enough information to successfully establish a safe perimeter and build a base to prevent the repetitive mentioning of "aliens" may I suggest a rephrasing? "Once enough data to successfully establish a safe perimeter and build a base has been gathered", a battleship is sent to the specified (desired? definite?) location to begin the excavation process. Upon arrival at the predetermined site, it will hover over the ground, using gravitational waves to create a deep, leveled hole designed to support and contain the future underground base.

During the third stage, the last essential steps prior to the base's completion are performed. Extra wall segments are added, the interior of the complex is furnished and the compartments become ready for various operations. Power sources are set-up and foliage is planted in order to provide a suitable environment for the whole installation. Two rooms areas? serve as gravity lifts in order to permit access to the complex. A large gravity lift is mounted on the lower floor and leads up to the control room where computers, electronic equipment and communication arrays are located. Once the command center is established, the whole system performs needed diagnostics, undergoes calibrations and finally boots. At this point, a battleship will backfill the site with the spoils, while the engineers fine-tune the site's camouflage for total integration in the surrounding environment. The third stage ends and With the ending of the third stage? base construction is completed.

In order to detect an Alien Base, our crafts must execute advanced surveillance and spying techniques at suspected locations. Reconnaissance photographs and data will be provided to X-Corps experts for analysis. The Intelligence Division remarks that increased Alien activity will be detected around established bases.

"2 weeks for a whole base?! I want to use this Alien know-how and build a Tron-like racing grid in no time!"

- Private Joe Greens

• 2 weeks later...

Posting for Davo:

X-Corps' mission statement is to repel the Alien threat and protect humanity at all costs. Thus, detection and interception of UFOs is our primary strategic objective. The evidence that Aliens have established flight patterns around the globe has puzzled X-Corps. Now that the report has come out, we know for a fact that they have established alien bases on earth. Perhaps something like this or similar? Just a thought, feedback wanted... "Up until now, the most logical solution has been that the aliens have a mother ship in orbit or a number of fixed military bases on Earth. The information gathered from the interrogation of a navigator has indeed corroborated our theories of established alien bases upon Earth, although it is still too early to revoke the speculation on an orbiting mother ship" ? Perhaps a little re-wording but see what i mean?The most logical solution is that the Aliens have a mother ship in orbit or a number of fixed military bases on Earth. From the information we gathered from the interrogation of a Navigator, it has been corroborated that Aliens have indeed established bases on Earth, although the mother ship speculation can not be revoked as of yet. After extensive interrogation of the Alien Navigator and and careful analysis of the available data, we are now aware of the modus operandi the Aliens follow in order to establish their bases which normally comprise of three stages.

The first and longest stage consists of the surveillance and preparation procedures, in which Scouts are launched in order to examine the landscape, locate human settlements and document notable features. Larger vessels are progressively sent in to perform detailed scans and further scouting of the area. Whenever new information is acquired, the navigator sends the data back to the alien HQ. Once enough data to successfully establish a safe perimeter and build a base has been gathered, a battleship is sent to the specified (desired? definite?)Perhpas pre-determined and remove it from the next sentence? location to begin the excavation process. Upon arrival atof? the predetermined site, it will hover over the ground, using gravitational waves to create a deep, leveled hole designed to support and contain the future underground base.

The second stage, usually taking around two weeks, includes the actual construction of an extensive underground tunnel complex. For this, several teams of alien engineers and workers are deployed to the site. One of the first tasks is the installation of a detection array, allowing automated intruder detection and prompt warning, leading to a precip?itate camouflage of the building site. After the general framework has been completed, the battleship will drop large sheets of alien composites as lining of the roof and tunnel walls.

During the third stage, the last essential steps prior to the base's completion are performed. Extra wall segments are added, the interior of the complex is furnished and the compartments become ready for various operations. Power sources are set-up and foliage is planted in order to provide a suitable environment for the wholeentire installation. Two rooms (areas?) What about "Two sections of the base are cordoned off and serve as gravity..." Or something similar? Rooms or areas doesnt quite seem right. But then the lifts are not cordoned off are they? they are open.... Maybe two sections of the base serve as...? serve as gravity lifts in order to permit access to the complex. A large gravity lift is mounted on the lower floor and leads up to the control room where computers, electronic equipment and communication arrays are located. Once the command center is established, the whole system performs needed diagnostics, undergoes calibrations and finally boots. At this point, a battleship will backfill the site with the spoils, while the engineers fine-tune the site's camouflage for total integration in the surrounding environment. With the ending of the third stage -sounds good base construction is completed.

- Private Joe Greens

ALIEN BASE

X-Corps' mission statement is to repel the Alien threat and protect humanity at all costs. Thus, detection and interception of UFOs is our primary strategic objective. Until now, the evidence that Aliens have established flight patterns around the globe had puzzled X-Corps, the most logical solution being that they have a mother ship in orbit or a number of fixed military bases on Earth. After extensive interrogation of the Alien Navigator and and careful analysis of the available data, we have indeed corroborated our theories of established alien bases upon Earth, although the mother ship speculation cannot be revoked as of yet. In addition, we are now aware of the modus operandi the Aliens follow in order to establish their bases which normally comprise of three stages.

The first and longest stage consists of the surveillance and preparation procedures, in which Scouts are launched in order to examine the landscape, locate human settlements and document notable features. Larger vessels are progressively sent in to perform detailed scans and further scouting of the area. Whenever new information is acquired, the navigator sends the data back to the alien HQ. Once enough data to successfully establish a safe perimeter and build a base has been gathered, a battleship is sent to the pre-determined location to begin the excavation process. Upon arrival, it will hover over the ground, using gravitational waves to create a deep, leveled hole designed to support and contain the future underground base.

During the third stage, the last essential steps prior to the base's completion are performed. Extra wall segments are added, the interior of the complex is furnished and the compartments become ready for various operations. Power sources are set-up and foliage is planted in order to provide a suitable environment for the whole installation. Two areas serve as gravity lifts in order to permit access to the complex. A large gravity lift is mounted on the lower floor and leads up to the control room where computers, electronic equipment and communication arrays are located. Once the command center is established, the whole system performs needed diagnostics, undergoes calibrations and finally boots. At this point, a battleship will backfill the site with the spoils, while the engineers fine-tune the site's camouflage for total integration in the surrounding environment. With the ending of the third stage, base construction is completed.

- Private Joe Greens

ALIEN BASE

X-Corps' mission statement is to repel the Alien threat and protect humanity at all costs. Thus, detection and interception of UFOs is our primary strategic objective. Until now, the evidence that Aliens have established flight patterns around the globe had puzzled X-Corps, the most logical solution being that they have a mother ship in orbit or a number of fixed military bases on Earth. After extensive interrogation of the Alien Navigator and and careful analysis of the available data, we have indeed corroborated our theories of established alien bases upon Earth, although the mother ship speculation cannot be revoked as of yet. In addition, we are now aware of the modus operandi the Aliens follow in order to establish their bases which normally comprise of three stages.

The first and longest stage consists of the surveillance and preparation procedures, in which Scouts are launched in order to examine the landscape, locate human settlements and document notable features. Larger vessels are progressively sent in to perform detailed scans and further scouting of the area. Whenever new information is acquired, the navigator sends the data back to the alien HQ. Once enough data to successfully establish a safe perimeter and build a base has been gathered, a battleship is sent to the pre-determined location to begin the excavation process. Upon arrival, it will hover over the ground, using gravitational waves to create a deep, leveled hole designed to support and contain the future underground base.

During the third stage, the last essential steps prior to the base's completion are performed. Extra wall segments are added, the interior of the complex is furnished and the compartments become ready for various operations. Power sources are set-up and foliage is planted in order to provide a suitable environment for the whole installation. Two areas serve as gravity lifts in order to permit access to the complex. A large gravity lift is mounted on the lower floor and leads up to the control room where computers, electronic equipment and communication arrays are located. Once the command center is established, the whole system performs needed diagnostics, undergoes calibrations and finally boots. At this point, a battleship will backfill the site with the spoils, while the engineers fine-tune the site's camouflage for total integration in the surrounding environment. With the ending of the third stage, base construction is completed.

- Private Joe Greens

Love it. Kafros?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey kafros, it's been a while! How've you been?

Overall comments:

+ I can see your writing has improved considerably, kafros. The ideas are sound, and they follow a logical sequence. It sounds basic, but it's essential to have a good foundation.

(See comments below)

-Asty

P.S. Heya Davo, welcome to the club. :)

ALIEN BASE

X-Corps' mission statement is to repel the Alien threat and protect humanity at all costs. Thus, detection and interception of UFOs is our primary strategic objective. Until now, the evidence that Aliens have established flight patterns around the globe had puzzled X-Corps, the most logical solutions being that they have a mother ship in orbit or a number of fixed military bases on Earth. After extensive interrogation of the an Alien Navigator and careful analysis of the available data, we have indeed corroborated our theories of established alien bases upon Earth, although the mother ship speculation cannot be revoked as of yet. In addition, we are now aware of the modus operandi the Aliens follow in order to establish their bases which normally comprise of three stages.

Makes sense, but I would caution against being unnecessarily ornate (am I the pot calling the kettle black, though?). The impression I'm getting while reading through this CT is that the words are getting in the way of the ideas... but I could be wrong. An example might be the last sentence of the 1st paragraph. The main idea is that we know Aliens follow a 3-stage protocol for establishing bases, but the above sentence in the text is a lot harder to understand. For complicated sentences, find the essential points in the sentence, write that down, and then spruce the ideas up (but don't overdo it!). I think combing through the text for difficult sentences and tweaking them will make for a much stronger text. Being concise is something all writers grapple with. In fact, I look at my other CTs and wonder, "Did I have to be so wordy?" :huh:

Might be a consistency issue (also in my Reaper CT): why don't the Alien Base Attacks use this gravitational technique to just wipe out X-Corps bases?

I'm not sure what "precipitate camouflage" is...?

- Private Joe Greens

Edited by Astyanax

ALIEN BASE

X-Corps' mission statement is to repel the Alien threat and protect humanity at all costs. Thus, detection and interception of UFOs is our primary strategic objective. Until now, the evidence that Aliens have established flight patterns around the globe had puzzled X-Corps, the most logical solutions being that they have a mother ship in orbit or a number of fixed military bases on Earth. After extensive interrogation of the an Alien Navigator and careful analysis of the available data, we have indeed corroborated our theories of established alien bases upon Earth, although the mother ship speculation cannot be revoked as of yet. In addition, we are now aware of the modus operandi the Aliens follow in order to establish their bases which normally comprise of three stages.

Makes sense, but I would caution against being unnecessarily ornate (am I the pot calling the kettle black, though?). The impression I'm getting while reading through this CT is that the words are getting in the way of the ideas... but I could be wrong. An example might be the last sentence of the 1st paragraph. The main idea is that we know Aliens follow a 3-stage protocol for establishing bases, but the above sentence in the text is a lot harder to understand. For complicated sentences, find the essential points in the sentence, write that down, and then spruce the ideas up (but don't overdo it!). I think combing through the text for difficult sentences and tweaking them will make for a much stronger text. Being concise is something all writers grapple with. In fact, I look at my other CTs and wonder, "Did I have to be so wordy?" :huh:

Suggestion asty? I quite like it, but perhaps it needs changing.

Might be a consistency issue (also in my Reaper CT): why don't the Alien Base Attacks use this gravitational technique to just wipe out X-Corps bases?Because if they tried hovering above x-corps bases we would blast them to heck with multiple rounds of laser bursts and missiles and huge globules of molten hot plasma? Hahahah, dunno. Consistency is obviously important, but is this being a little too picky? Perhaps the gravitrationaly waves only work with organic material? hmmm.... do we need an explanation? Or perhaps are you suggestting we think of an alternative means to digging up the base?

I'm not sure what "precipitate camouflage" is...?

done or occuring suddenly or without thought. So it is a camouflage done quckly or without much thought :) actually I am sure my dictionary has changed since I last looked at it

- Private Joe Greens

X-Corps' mission statement is to repel the Alien threat and protect humanity at all costs. Thus, detection and interception of UFOs are our primary strategic objectives. Puzzled by evidence of established flight patterns of Alien craft, X-Corps put forth two possible scenarios: the existence of a mother ship in orbit and/or fixed military bases on Earth. After careful analysis of Alien Navigator interrogation logs and other available data, we have confirmed the existence of Alien military bases on Earth, though the existence of a mother ship continues to be a possibility/cannot be fully ruled out. Additionally, we have also learned that the Aliens generally follow a three-stage procedure for establishing bases.
Hm, I guess what was really bothering me about the original is that while it technically made sense, some of the emphases seemed to be in the wrong places. For example, "extensive interrogation"... "extensive" isn't really needed unless you're trying to point out that X-Corps was really cruel, and even then that doesn't relate much to the Alien Base- it kind of distracts from the point of the text. Another example might be "...mother ship speculation cannot be revoked as of yet": "revoked" makes technical sense, but it has a very sharp connotation. The way it's phrased is like saying "mother ship speculation cannot be forcibly removed yet." It's a bit strong for the what it's supposed to mean. But as I said before, it all does make sense; I suppose I'm looking at the window dressings... :)

Hadn't thought about how long it might take for the use of the gravitational technology... good point. Ignore my point. :P

One of the first tasks is the installation of a detection array, allowing automated intruder detection and prompt warning, leading to a precipitate camouflage of the building site.
Maybe delete "and prompt warning" since detection is kinda pointless without the warning (it's implied). Perhaps something like:
One of the first tasks is the installation of an automated detection array, which allows workers to swiftly camouflage the building site upon detection of intruders.
I hope I'm interpreting this sentence correctly... :P Edited by Astyanax

X-Corps' mission statement is to repel the Alien threat and protect humanity at all costs. Thus, detection and interception of UFOs are our primary strategic objectives. Puzzled by evidence of established flight patterns of Alien craft, X-Corps put forth two possible scenarios: the existence of a mother ship in orbit and/or fixed military bases on Earth. After careful analysis of Alien Navigator interrogation logs and other available data, we have confirmed the existence of Alien military bases on Earth, though the existence of a mother ship continues to be a possibility/cannot be fully ruled out. Additionally, we have also learned that the Aliens generally follow a three-stage procedure for establishing bases.

Sounds Great! Any objections? I like it... Actually.... with additionally it sounds like it has been tacked on to the end of the paragraph where as the majority of the remaining text is based upon the three stages. proposed below in green...

Hm, I guess what was really bothering me about the original is that while it technically made sense, some of the emphases seemed to be in the wrong places. For example, "extensive interrogation"... "extensive" isn't really needed unless you're trying to point out that X-Corps was really cruel, Excellent!

X-corps -> :chainsaw:

Hadn't thought about how long it might take for the use of the gravitational technology... good point. Ignore my point. :P

Hahaha, I was just coming up with lame defence for someones ideas.... hahaha. I dunno, I think its fine but if you really think there is a consistency error, perhaps we should do something about it?

"One of the first tasks is the installation of a detection array, allowing automated intruder detection and prompt warning, leading to a precipitate camouflage of the building site..."

Maybe delete "and prompt warning" since detection is kinda pointless without the warning (it's implied). Perhaps something like:

"...One of the first tasks is the installation of an automated detection array, which allows workers to swiftly camouflage the building site upon detection of intruders..." I hope I'm interpreting this sentence correctly... :P

HAHAHAHA love your work asty. Agreed,makes no sense. But what I think the original concept was supposed to be was something more along the lines of the detection array detects a life form or enemy aircraft in close proximity to the site, and then an automated (or not) mock comouflage is thrown up to disguise the base from prying eyes. Thats what I thought it ment. Perhaps it needs to be explained a little better. Any opposition to what I thought it meant and what it actually means? haha.

So, on that, and with asties corrections.... With the exception of the 'precipitate part'

ALIEN BASE

X-Corps' mission statement is to repel the Alien threat and protect humanity at all costs. Thus, detection and interception of UFOs are our primary strategic objectives. Puzzled by evidence of established flight patterns of Alien craft, X-Corps put forth two possible scenarios: the existence of a mother ship in orbit and/or fixed military bases on Earth. After careful analysis of Alien Navigator interrogation logs and other available data, we have confirmed the existence of Alien military bases on Earth, though the existence of a mother ship continues to be a possibility and cannot be enitirely ruled out. We have also learned that the Aliens generally follow a three-stage procedure for establishing bases.

- Private Joe Greens

P.S. I am off to christchurch for a hockey tournament for a week, I will be back soonish! I have not abandoned post!

Edited by Davo

:chainsaw:

Hahaha! Nice "autopsy" you've got there, Davo. Remind me not to die on your watch... :D

Good call on the "additional"... your changes are great.

Hahaha, I was just coming up with lame defence for someones ideas.... hahaha. I dunno, I think its fine but if you really think there is a consistency error, perhaps we should do something about it?
No, no, you did good. Over the internet, it always seems like I'm coming down on things harder than I actually am... :( probably because I nitpick too much. <_>

For the "precipitate camouflage" bit, hm... maybe "...One of the first tasks is the installation and integration of detection and camouflage systems, allowing for automated concealment of the building site upon detection of intruders..."?

Now that I'm thinking about it, why does the camouflage only activate when intruders are detected? Why not maintain the camouflage permanently? Just wondering.

Edited by Astyanax

Now that I'm thinking about it, why does the camouflage only activate when intruders are detected? Why not maintain the camouflage permanently? Just wondering.
[spam]Energy Star regulations, love the enviroment, lower energy use :P[/spam]

Seriously now, the reason was exactly what Zombie said :)

"Camouflage" the AREA so that no1 would notice "hey this place seems a bit different". It's not about the structures at all (actually, the camouflaged area camouflages the buildings as well)

Edited by kafros

I think the intent of that sentence was to make known why an alien base under construction is impossible to locate. Otherwise it would be all too easy to stop the aliens dead in their tracks. A few grunt aliens without weapons wouldn't be a match for heavily armed X-CORPS soldiers. "Camouflage" actually refers to the the building site itself. The aliens recognize that moving large amounts of earth for building the tunnel network will be visible even at high altitudes, and thus camouflage the building site to keep it hidden. The sentence is a little choppy and I think it needs to be rewritten to reflect this fact. Otherwise, it's a great read. :)

- Zombie

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
ALIEN BASE

X-Corps' mission statement is to repel the Alien threat and protect humanity at all costs. Thus, detection and interception of UFOs are two of our primary strategic objectives. During the first weeks of the Alien threat, it was evident that alien ships made entry in the atmosphere from a nearby source, probably an alien mothership or a base on the moon. Alas, the latter encounters suggested that UFOs don't enter the atmosphere, but that they launch from the surface of the planet. The interrogation logs of the Alien Navigator and collected flight pattern data confirmed the presence of Alien Bases on Earth. Additionally, we have also learned that the Aliens generally follow a three-stage procedure for establishing bases.

The operation can be summed up like this: First, a viable location is selected and then a battleship is sent to prepare the foundation. Then, basic defensive and detection mechanisms are installed on site and the excavation of the underground complex starts. Once complete, facilities and equipment are installed and the base is read to start operation. The whole procedure is done in utmost secrecy and in a small amount of time, thus chances of detection and interception are minimal. A comprehensive description of each stage follows.

The first and longest stage consists of the surveillance and preparation procedures, in which Scouts are launched in order to examine the landscape, locate human settlements and document notable features. Larger vessels are progressively sent in to perform detailed scans and further scouting of the area. Whenever new information is acquired, the navigator sends the data back to the alien HQ. Once enough data has been gathered and the alien command approves the operation, a battleship is sent ti establish a safe perimeter and begin the excavation process.

The second stage, usually taking at most once week, involves the creation of an underground grid complex. The layout is planned and each node will house a specific alien facility. For this, several teams of alien engineers and workers are deployed to the site. One of the first tasks is the installation of an automated detection array. It is imperative that the whole operation is performed as stealthily at possible. As the whole construction operation changes the layout of the surroundings, the engineers constantly fine-tune the camouflage of the construction site. If an intruder is detected, the workers swiftly conceal any evidence of the operation by moving underground, proving any detection attempts futile. After the general framework has been completed, the battleship will drop construction material and equipment. The rooms and two access lifts are completed in less than two days. The only step left is the installation of equipment.

During the start of the third stage, power sources are ecosystems are installed, providing a suitable environment for any kind of operation. A large gravity lift is mounted on the lower floor and leads to the control room where electronic equipment and communication arrays are housed. Once the command center is established, equipment is installed and the facilities are customized to the needs of the base. Every facility is connected to the command center, providing an overview to the command personnel. Once everything is read, the whole system performs needed diagnostics, undergoes calibrations and finally boots. At this point, the engineers will perform the final touches on the whole installation, and base construction is complete.

In order to detect an Alien Base, our crafts must execute constant surveillance at suspected locations. Reconnaissance photographs and data will be provided to X-Corps experts for analysis. The Intelligence Division remarks that increased Alien activity, especially resupply missions, will be detected around established bases, narrowing our search efforts.

"This technology brings us in a new era of automated underground parking systems!"

- Private Joe Greens

Aaaaaah, the feeling! I hope you guys make some free time soon, these creative texts bring some nice memories.

I miss astyanax though. Damn bastard, I hope he is well.

Btw Mad, could you give me access to the rest of the creative text forums (complete, proofreading) please? Punctiliousness is a bit meaningless lately.

Edited by kafros

Btw Mad, could you give me access to the rest of the creative text forums (complete, proofreading) please? Punctiliousness is a bit meaningless lately.

Nice work. Will check on it on Thursday.

About the Proofreading: Actually, you should have access, I think I initiated that some time ago. Alas, if you don't I'll talk to stewart... On Thursday. Busy week.

About the Proofreading: Actually, you should have access, I think I initiated that some time ago. Alas, if you don't I'll talk to stewart... On Thursday. Busy week.
Indeed, I have read (but not write) access :O. Alright then :)

P.S. Let's see if I can improve the installer sometime soon

ALIEN BASE

X-Corps' mission statement is to repel the Alien threat and protect humanity at all costs. Thus, detection and interception of UFOs are two of our primary strategic objectives. During the first weeks of the Alien threat, it was evident that alien ships made entry in the atmosphere from a nearby source, probably an alien mothership or a base on the moon. Alas, the latter encounters suggested that UFOs don't enter the atmosphere, but that they launch from the surface of the planet. The interrogation logs of the Alien Navigator and collected flight pattern data confirmed the presence of Alien Bases on Earth. Additionally, we have also learned that the Aliens generally follow a three-stage procedure for establishing bases.

The operation can be summed up like this: First, a viable location is selected and then a battleship is sent dispatched to prepare the foundation. Then, basic defensive and detection mechanisms are installed on site and the excavation of the underground complex starts. Once complete, facilities and equipment are installed and the base is read to start operation. The whole procedure is done in utmost secrecy and in a small amount of time, thus chances of detection and interception are minimal. A comprehensive description of each stage follows.

The first and longest stage consists of the surveillance and preparation procedures, in which Scouts are launched in order to examine the landscape, locate human settlements and document notable features. Larger vessels are progressively sent in to perform detailed scans and further scouting of the area. Whenever new information is acquired, the navigator sends the data back to the alien HQ. Once enough data has been gathered and the alien command approves the operation, a battleship is sent ti dispatched to establish a safe perimeter and begin the excavation process.

The second stage, usually taking at most once week, involves the creation of an underground grid complex. The layout is planned and each node will house a specific alien facility. For this, several teams of alien engineers and workers are deployed to the site. One of the first tasks is the installation of an automated detection array. It is imperative that the whole operation is performed as stealthily at possible. As the whole construction operation changes the layout of the surroundings, the engineers constantly fine-tune the camouflage of the construction site. If an intruder is detected, the workers swiftly conceal any evidence of the operation by moving underground, proving any detection attempts futile. After the general framework has been completed, the battleship will drop construction material and equipment. The rooms and two access lifts are completed in less than two days. The only step left is the installation of equipment.

During the start of the third stage, power sources are and ecosystems might be the wrong word here. maybe better lifesupport systems. I know you want to emphasize the ecosystem character of the entire base, but I think you cannot install an ecosystem. are installed, providing a suitable environment for any kind of operation. A large gravity lift, is mounted on the lower floor and leads to the control room where electronic equipment and communication arrays are housed. Once the command center is established, equipment is installed and the facilities are customized to the needs of the base. Every facility is connected in what manner? to the command center, providing an overview to the command personnel. Once everything is ready, the whole system performs needed diagnostics, undergoes calibrations and finally boots. At this point, the engineers will perform the final touches on the whole installation, and base construction is complete.

In order to detect an Alien Base, our crafts must execute constant surveillance at suspected locations. Reconnaissance photographs and data will be provided to X-Corps experts for analysis. The Intelligence Division remarks that increased Alien activity, especially resupply missions, will be detected around established bases, narrowing our search efforts.

"This technology brings us in a new era of automated underground parking systems!"

- Private Joe Greens

About the proofreading thing: I haven't heard from Stewart yet. Sorry.

ALIEN BASE

The operation can be summed up like this: First, a viable location is selected and a battleship dispatched to prepare the foundation. Then, basic defensive and detection mechanisms are installed on site and the excavation of the underground complex starts. Once complete, facilities and equipment are installed and the base is read to start operation. The whole procedure is done in utmost secrecy and in a small amount of time, thus chances of detection and interception are minimal. A comprehensive description of each stage follows.

The first and longest stage consists of the surveillance and preparation procedures, in which Scouts are launched in order to examine the landscape, locate human settlements and document notable features. Larger vessels are progressively sent in to perform detailed scans and further scouting of the area. Whenever new information is acquired, the navigator sends the data back to the alien HQ. Once enough data has been gathered and the alien command approves the operation, a battleship is dispatched to establish a safe perimeter and begin the excavation process.

During the start of the third stage, power sources and life-support systems (which include garden facilities) are installed, providing a suitable environment for any kind of operation. A large gravity lift, mounted on the lower floor, leads to the control room where electronic equipment and communication arrays are housed. Once the command center is established, equipment is installed and the facilities are customized to the needs of the base. Every facility is electronically connected to its adjacent ones, ultimately being connected to the command center, providing an overview of its status to the command personnel. Every facility is fully controlled via the command center, thus the destruction of the command consoles would cripple the operation of the whole base. Once everything is ready, the whole system performs needed diagnostics, undergoes calibrations and finally boots. At this point, the engineers will perform the final touches on the whole installation, and base construction is complete.

- Private Joe Greens

You are right about the ecosystem, it refers to a natural enviroment and its animal communities. I still wonder how we could express the fact that the Environmental Control and Life Support System we are talking about is not a mechanical/chemical one, but a natural one. I am sure there is a term to describe such a structure, but I can't recall which one... it's not "ecosphere" or "ecodome"... whatever, we could stick to life support.

What more could we describe about bases? Zombie?

About the proofreading thing: I haven't heard from Stewart yet. Sorry.
No worries, thank you very much!!

You are right about the ecosystem, it refers to a natural enviroment and its animal communities. I still wonder how we could express the fact that the Environmental Control and Life Support System we are talking about is not a mechanical/chemical one, but a natural one. I am sure there is a term to describe such a structure, but I can't recall which one... it's not "ecosphere" or "ecodome"... whatever, we could stick to life support.

Biosphere? Symbiosis maybe? :hmmm:

What more could we describe about bases? Zombie?

I'm thinking on it right now. I'll also try and provide an edit working off yours and Mad's. :)

Edit: hmm, I thought about what we could add to the text, but it's kinda hard to go into detail if the alien base facilities haven't been modeled by Art yet. If I remember a discussion I had with Mad a while ago, we have some leeway or creative license in this case, no? Suppose we can just mirror the rest off of X-COM's alien base. For instance, each base layout is different except for the two core components which are always present (Command Center and the "Access Lifts"). What this implies is that the overall purpose of each base is different as well. One base may be for surveillance, another for food production, another for storage, yet another as a "power plant" etc. Of course, by extension, a base may also be multifunctional capable of two (or more, or all) roles depending on what the aliens need at the time. I should also mention that the alien base research topic in X-COM mentions that alien bases may contain "experimental labs for human abductees" but there are no structures in a base which corroborate this.

While looking at the X-COM alien base modules, I am always struck by the big variances of what a base could be for. For example, not all bases have "true" UFO power sources as those are only housed in a specific module. But all bases have those red oval or spherical objects supported on 4 blue "legs". I always called these "plasma conduits" after Star Trek. The purpose of these objects is unknown in X-COM but we could say that they not only transfer power between modules but also create significant amounts of energy to power an average sized base. (Otherwise a base without true power sources couldn't function). When you have the module with true power sources present, then it could be theorized that they are there for a specific reason: for providing extra power necessary in the manufacturing or processing of alien food precursors. Likewise, there is always minimal amounts of "Alien Entertainment" present in a base (26 units in the command center), but there is a certain module which may show up and that has even more (30-36 units depending on layout). More than one of these modules can show up as well and you can sometimes get hundreds of units from one base. Alien "gardens" are not always present though. Alien storage vats are. So again, we can guess that some bases are for mass food production and others have minimal amounts of stored "manufactured" food for the aliens to use. Basically what I'm saying is that there is usually minimal amounts of everything present at an alien base to keep it functioning, but some bases are specialized and contain more goodies depending on role. :professor:

I don't know how the sometimes-lack of gardens or alien power sources will affect the text above. No gardens=no symbiotic life support, although if Xenocide's bases are primarily constructed of organic materials, then it shouldn't change a thing. The power source idea may have to be rewritten a little to incorporate the idea of minimal power units and full fledged power sources dedicated to manufacturing/processing alien food. Just some thoughts here. :blush1:

- Zombie

Edited by Zombie

Wonderful! Indeed, these subtle differences in base layouts can make a difference, and you definitely know the numbers hihihi!

Each vehicle has its own mission. Now, question: We know that UFOs can pop out of nowhere (they come from Mars), but do they also launch from alien bases? (except from the Supply vessel, which (as far as I know) pops in, "lands" on a base, leaves and pops outs.

Point is that, as the UFOs have specific missions, there could be bases focused on specific missions.

As you've also said, some facilities are always present, some exists in varying ammounts. This makes an overview text quite difficult, because you can't know for sure if the player has already researched what you've talked about. If you walk down the "middle path", talking about these facilities and never naming them or getting into detail, the user that has already researched the needed info will be left wondering.

So, I think, either we stick with information never really explained (4-legged power sources, different layouts-mission focus, etc), or a new researching scheme could be revised (different reports once different amounts of information are available), or we indeed walk down the "middle path" (which, if I recall correctly, have already done sometimes, at least with "Alien Composites").

Btw, the alien entertainment modules in the command center, could they provide a psychedelic stimulus on the commanders to boost their managing and strategic abilities, or even help them visualize (individually, in their head) the large amounts of information they receive?

Even more wilder thoughts, sorry :blush1: .

Yery intersting ideas, both of you. However, I keep thinking, this might be a little too much for an overview text. I would propose to incorpaorate a statement that each base has a different purpose - varying on the needs of the aliens at that time, wich gives us (or anyone else) room for more detailed CTs post v1.

And mybe we could just write something about a biological environment control system? Hm. nah...

Right, I was just providing some background to hopefully explain the idea of alien base specialization as I think that would make the text a little more interesting. :)

I should mention that in X-COM the Alien Base topic is revealed after the interrogation of a live navigator. In our case, it's not like we found this information out by covert surveillance or directly visiting a base. So the idea that we wouldn't know what a Power Source or Alien Entertainment is, is somewhat untrue. Certainly a navigator has detailed information about the components of a base (maybe not specifically, but an overview at least) and it isn't hard to expect that it will provide a recap of what makes a base tick. ;)

- Zombie

Right, I was just providing some background to hopefully explain the idea of alien base specialization as I think that would make the text a little more interesting. :)

I should mention that in X-COM the Alien Base topic is revealed after the interrogation of a live navigator. In our case, it's not like we found this information out by covert surveillance or directly visiting a base. So the idea that we wouldn't know what a Power Source or Alien Entertainment is, is somewhat untrue. Certainly a navigator has detailed information about the components of a base (maybe not specifically, but an overview at least) and it isn't hard to expect that it will provide a recap of what makes a base tick. ;)

- Zombie

This is very true indeed. Yea, so maybe it would indeed be a good idea to incorporate references to "entertainment facilities" (instead of "Alien Entertainment") and reactor like devices (instead of "power source"). Why the mundane names/ descriptions? Because I think, someone living in a base wouldn't speak of "Alien Entertainment" but would describe it to his interrogators, who then will put it to words to their best ability. I think the resulting descriptions should/would be way different then the name of an XNet entry after a scientist has seen with his own eyes and explored with his own hands.

This is very true indeed. Yea, so maybe it would indeed be a good idea to incorporate references to "entertainment facilities" (instead of "Alien Entertainment") and reactor like devices (instead of "power source"). Why the mundane names/ descriptions? Because I think, someone living in a base wouldn't speak of "Alien Entertainment" but would describe it to his interrogators, who then will put it to words to their best ability. I think the resulting descriptions should/would be way different then the name of an XNet entry after a scientist has seen with his own eyes and explored with his own hands.

Exactly. I wouldn't expect the names of the components to match exactly, especially if there is something lost in the translation between the alien language and English. Then again, soldiers out in the field or scientists in the laboratories created the names themselves after seeing the items firsthand. Otherwise a research topic in the list would look something like "unknown gun" and not "Plasma Rifle" for example. We coined the topic titles so even if we don't know what an object does until it is researched, it doesn't mean we can't call it by it's name. But I like the idea of being a little vague anyway just to make the text a little more interesting. :)

- Zombie

ALIEN BASE

The operation can be summed up like this: First, a viable location is selected and a battleship dispatched to prepare the foundation. Then, basic defensive and detection mechanisms are installed on site and the excavation of the underground complex starts. Once complete, facilities and equipment are installed and the base is read to start operation. The whole procedure is done in utmost secrecy and in a small amount of time, thus chances of detection and interception are minimal. A comprehensive description of each stage follows.

The first and longest stage consists of the surveillance and preparation procedures, in which Scouts are launched in order to examine the landscape, locate human settlements and document notable features. Larger vessels are progressively sent in to perform detailed scans and further scouting of the area. Whenever new information is acquired, the navigator sends the data back to the alien HQ. Once enough data has been gathered and the alien command approves the operation, a battleship is dispatched to establish a safe perimeter and begin the excavation process.

During the start of the third stage, power sources and life-support systems (which include garden facilities) are installed, providing a suitable environment for any kind of operation. A large gravity lift, mounted on the lower floor, leads to the control room where electronic equipment and communication arrays are housed. Once the command center is established, equipment is installed and the facilities are customized to the needs of the base. Every facility is electronically connected to its adjacent ones, ultimately being connected to the command center, providing an overview of its status to the command personnel. Every facility is fully controlled via the command center, thus the destruction of the command consoles would cripple the operation of the whole base. Once everything is ready, the whole system performs needed diagnostics, undergoes calibrations and finally boots. At this point, the engineers will perform the final touches on the whole installation, and base construction is complete.

Each new base fits some minimal requirements. Food storage vats and medium-energy power sources are needed to support the base's personnel and its facilities. In addition, psycho-stimulant devices provide entertainment to personnel and better strategical insight to commanders. Some alien bases include organic matter processing and additional storage facilities, acting as food manufacturers, while others act as military or scientific outposts. Additional features add to a specific purpose (additional power sources may be included, alien garden facilities may be provided), so each base is customized to the aliens' needs.

Most bases are supplied via a supply vessel, which may include food, equipment and replacement personnel. Intercepting an adequate number of them will probably disturb the base's operations and agitate its personnel. In order to detect an Alien Base, our crafts must execute constant surveillance at suspected locations, especially ones with high vessel activity. Reconnaissance photographs and data will be provided to X-Corps experts for analysis. The Intelligence Division remarks that increased Alien activity, especially resupply missions, will be detected around established bases, narrowing our search efforts.

- Private Joe Greens

I hope I didn't forget anything!

P.S. Hey guys, we hadn't included Supply missions... xD. I put a reference in the last paragraph.

Edited by kafros