XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Progress Release 728

Guest Azrael Strife

- Music: I am not getting any, at all, only the speed buttons' sounds on PlanetView.

- Laboratory model: Still appears on the X-net from an odd angle.

- Mouse lag: I'm still getting the same mouse lag on 800x600, only on PlanetView, the lag might even be greater, but that might be cause I'm on windowed mode.

- Graphs background: They have a starred background, is that intentional?

- Outdated Licence on Installation: When you open the patch installer, it still reads "General Public Licence", should read "Creative Commons" and all the things.

- Missing Base numbers: On Baseview, in the lower right, the buttons to change bases are missing, or at least not in white so they are not noticeable.

- X-Net entries: I think this wasn't implemented at all, but it should be easy to and would make it less painful to browse around, when you click on a certain category, all the topics show, but if it's a large category, it moves all the rest below the box, so you have to scroll in order to select another category, it should allow to close a category by clicking on it again.

----

As usual, great work everyone, it's looking good, except for all the troubles I'm getting this time :(

Edited by Azrael

- X-Net entries: I think this wasn't implemented at all, but it should be easy to and would make it less painful to browse around, when you click on a certain category, all the topics show, but if it's a large category, it moves all the rest below the box, so you have to scroll in order to select another category, it should allow to close a category by clicking on it again.

I can take care of that.

Incidentally, while I'm in there, should the slider on the scroll bar for the text window (bottom left) change in size to reflect the amount of text being displayed on the window?

Also, should there be a slider for the menu buttons?

Noticed some more bugs/issues:

- Missing X-Net Entries: The barracks, Laboratory and Artopod should have texts, they are gone now.

- Cut Funding indicator: On planetview, it reads "Fundin" instead of "Funding", and the word above Funding doesn't show completely, it's illegible.

Also, on X-Net, "X-Net Systems Interface" and "Funding" don't read good, it's cut in half horizontally.

- Readme is still outdated (:( <-- click the sad face). Also, Licence.txt is also outdated.

I can take care of that.

I guess there should be, it's illogical not to have one, is it possible for you, since you're there, to make the entries scroll with the mouse wheel? not important but would be nice if it's easy to do :)

Incidentally, while I'm in there, should the slider on the scroll bar for the text window (bottom left) change in size to reflect the amount of text being displayed on the window?

I guess RK will have to answer that :)

Edited by Azrael

- Missing X-Net Entries: The barracks, Laboratory and Artopod should have texts, they are gone now.

I'm kind of responsible for that. I dummied up a xnet.xml file to see how xnet would work when it had a full set of entries, and Beetle included it with this release. So I'd appreciate any other feedback (like being able to collapse the menu back up.)

Also, on X-Net, "X-Net Systems Interface" and "Funding" don't read good, it's cut in half horizontally.

I believe I can fix that

I guess there should be, it's illogical not to have one, is it possible for you, since you're there, to make the entries scroll with the mouse wheel? not important but would be nice if it's easy to do :)

I'll look into it.

I'm kind of responsible for that. I dummied up a xnet.xml file to see how xnet would work when it had a full set of entries, and Beetle included it with this release. So I'd appreciate any other feedback (like being able to collapse the menu back up.)

I believe I can fix that

I'll look into it.

Cool, thanks :)

> - Music: I am not getting any, at all, only the speed buttons' sounds on PlanetView.

Yep. There is no music, literaly. /data/music/ is empty. I guess it is some bug in the installer (or in the patch).

> - Graphs background: They have a starred background, is that intentional?

Nope, that's for the lack of a better way.

> - Mouse lag: I'm still getting the same mouse lag on 800x600, only on PlanetView, the lag might even be greater, but that might be cause I'm on windowed mode.

We are still waiting for someone to build latest OGRE... Although it is not impossible that it will be a solution to the different (no less real) problem.

> - X-Net entries: I think this wasn't implemented at all, but it should be easy to and would make it less painful to browse around, when you click on a certain category, all the topics show, but if it's a large category, it moves all the rest below the box, so you have to scroll in order to select another category, it should allow to close a category by clicking on it again.

You are reading my mind :), that one is couple of days in task tracker already.

Edited by UnFleshed One

> - X-Net entries: I think this wasn't implemented at all, but it should be easy to and would make it less painful to browse around, when you click on a certain category, all the topics show, but if it's a large category, it moves all the rest below the box, so you have to scroll in order to select another category, it should allow to close a category by clicking on it again.

Just to clarify, is what you're suggesting "if you click on a category, and there's so many items they run off the bottom of the screen, the menu items should be scrolled up until either 1. All entries in the category are visible or 2. the Category is the topmost item on the screen?" And what's the bug number please?

Will the xnet.xml contain all texts in V1? or will they be in another file?

edit: Whoever built this release or knows about it, can you update the Changelog? I cannot post news about the release if I don't specifically know the changes <_<

Edited by Azrael

I loled when i read the bank comment when building buildings!

However, if you try to build a missile defence, it says;

17:47:38: [FATAL] xenocommon.Exception - FILE: \xenocide\xenocide\xenocide\src\client\geoscape\baseviewrenderer.cpp | LINE: 490 | SOURCE: Xenocide::UI::BaseviewRenderer::buildingMode | REASON: Can't find assets for facility building pointer! (FAC_MISSILE_DEFENSE_ARRAY)

and then crahes.

Looks easy to fix :)

also, the names for most of the X-net names are in a #XNET_ALIEN_RESEARCH_PROPE ish format. A few of the names won't fit this way.

And I had a little discussion with my loading button;

17:56:16: [WARN] xenocore.Dictionary - Couldn't resolve symbolicName: OK

17:56:16: [WARN] xenocore.Dictionary - Couldn't resolve symbolicName: Message

17:56:16: [WARN] xenocore.Dictionary - Couldn't resolve symbolicName: I said don't press anything!

17:56:16: [WARN] xenocore.Dictionary - Couldn't resolve symbolicName: Aren't we stubborn, hah!?

17:56:16: [WARN] xenocore.Dictionary - Couldn't resolve symbolicName: Ok, have it your way, I don't care!

17:56:16: [WARN] xenocore.Dictionary - Couldn't resolve symbolicName: Are you a proud developer, by the way?

17:56:16: [WARN] xenocore.Dictionary - Couldn't resolve symbolicName: Yes

17:56:16: [WARN] xenocore.Dictionary - Couldn't resolve symbolicName: No

17:56:16: [WARN] xenocore.Dictionary - Couldn't resolve symbolicName: So what!? I don't care anyway! :P

Then it crashed on me. ROFL

- the control screen needs an indicator of when you are able to write in something; turn yellow or something. Right now you can't see when on earth you are able to write in a new hotkey.

- the control system doesn't work. Might of course not be implanted yet. Just FYI.

- As said before, the music doesn't work. However, I tried to put in the music in the music folder, and it worked like a charm. The music control systems even worked! Greay job!

- The little x in the cornor of the X-net screen; when you hold it down, an ugle dark line will show where the end of it is.

- It's impossible to close a sidebar in the Xnet, unless by opening another.

- It happened that when quitting, the main options window activated in front of the 'do you want to quit'ish message. So you had to close down the message in order to get to that screen.

- error messages when closing down (only in xenocide.log);

18:04:12: [ERROR] xenocore.GameTime - Unpausing a pause you didn't set.

Edited by mikker

Update 705? :huh?:

Strange...

http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6672

Nov 20, 2005 - Progress Release 728

Patch Installer:

http://www.projectxenocide.com/download/xe...ate.728.torrent

Oct 05, 2005 - Progress Release 705

Patch Installer:

http://www.projectxenocide.com/download/xe...ate.705.torrent

I simply patched 653 with update 728 :)

Update 705? :huh?:

Strange...

http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6672

Nov 20, 2005 - Progress Release 728

Patch Installer:

http://www.projectxenocide.com/download/xe...ate.728.torrent

Oct 05, 2005 - Progress Release 705

Patch Installer:

http://www.projectxenocide.com/download/xe...ate.705.torrent

I simply patched 653 with update 728 :)

Indeed, very strange, there was an unannounced release? :blink:

Yeah, just download the latest one, sorry for the confusion, had no idea :)

17:47:38: [FATAL] xenocommon.Exception - FILE: \xenocide\xenocide\xenocide\src\client\geoscape\baseviewrenderer.cpp | LINE: 490 | SOURCE: Xenocide::UI::BaseviewRenderer::buildingMode | REASON: Can't find assets for facility building pointer! (FAC_MISSILE_DEFENSE_ARRAY)

and then crahes.

That's 'cause there is no models for the facility :P. Maybe it shouldn't crash in such a case, but there is not much else to do realy... Except maybe crush gracefully, but that's later.

17:56:16: [WARN] xenocore.Dictionary - Couldn't resolve symbolicName: So what!? I don't care anyway!

Then it crashed on me.

Crashes? What's in the logs? (doesn't do it for me).

- the control screen needs an indicator of when you are able to write in something; turn yellow or something. Right now you can't see when on earth you are able to write in a new hotkey.

Yep, already in TODO.

- the control system doesn't work. Might of course not be implanted yet. Just FYI.

It isn't implemented, yes. We are waiting for messaging system, all those shortcut there only to fill the place.

- It happened that when quitting, the main options window activated in front of the 'do you want to quit'ish message. So you had to close down the message in order to get to that screen.

Could you elaborate on that one? Can you repeat it?

That's OK, if it appears only when closing.

Azrael,

Will the xnet.xml contain all texts in V1? or will they be in another file?

It sure seems so.

Edited by UnFleshed One

I loled when i read the bank comment when building buildings!

However, if you try to build a missile defence, it says;

and then crahes.

This is probably because we have no FacilityType info for any of the defense array facilities. I'm going to raise a thread on this.

also, the names for most of the X-net names are in a #XNET_ALIEN_RESEARCH_PROPE ish format. A few of the names won't fit this way.

And I had a little discussion with my loading button;

17:56:16: [WARN] xenocore.Dictionary - Couldn't resolve symbolicName: I said don't press anything!

These are related, there's no entry in the file dictionary.xml for mapping these strings

It didn't show in the logs. I tried again a few times, but didn't happen anymore... strange...

The quit bug is like this: you have the main options box open, and press 'abort game'. Normally, a pop-up message comes up, with the wrinting "You do want this, don't you?", which is then active, and put the main options box in the background inactve. In this case, however, it was only active for a blink of an eye, where the main options box slams up in front of the abort game box, and become active (sending the abort game box into inactivity). Couldn't reproduce it.

Oh, and heres another; at the bottomright corner of the main options box, at the corner, theres a bit of space that should be transparent, but is instead filled with stars.

There was a release for 705. It wasn't heavily announced, as there weren't many major changes.

The PR-728 patch installer will update from any release after 653 (the last full release) to 728. This is true of all previous installers, and will continue to be true unless otherwise announced.

> - Graphs background: They have a starred background, is that intentional?

Nope, that's for the lack of a better way.

I can stick a black background behind the graphs if the stars are not wanted.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Visitor

I can't get this to work.

I'm using Progress Release 728, but when I try to start it, I get a "Entry Point Not Found" error that says "The procedure entry point _FSOUND_Sample_Load@20 could not be located in the dynamic link library fmod.dll". Then I immediately get another "An exception has occurred!" message that says "Unable to load application module C:\Program Files\XenocideProgressRelease\game\xenoui.dll". It never starts at all.

Help?

Guest Visitor

Fmod.dll is present, it's in the /system directory. As for the right package, what I did was installed the 653 release (since it was the last one listed on the main site), then the 728 patch update linked to in this thread.

Should I have dowloaded something else?

You shouldn't, no... Looks like you have conflicting versions out there.

RK, what will happen if there is different fmod.dll in windows/system? Does xenoui look in its /system first?

Visitor, try put fmod.dll besides xenocide.exe first and if that fails put it into /game folder besides xenoui.dll.

That's just a SWAG, so it may not work, but it's worth a try.

Okay, heres another:

- the laser pistol is offcentered, too high upwards.

- it appears only one side of the pistols front tech thing is lit.

- the rear tech thing glow in a diffrent colour then the rest.

I guess we'll have either to overwrite dlls in windows/system (which is not very friendly to other applications, but war is war :)). Or we have to make sure we load our dlls regardless of windows/system content...

Visitor, can you check if you have fmod.dll in your /windows/system or system32 or whatever. (Do a search in /windows). And can you send it to me ( zolenkoe (at) gmail (dot) com ), so I can use it for testing?

About .dll thing we had already such a problem in a past, still unresolved. In worst case me may check if on machine is old version of fmod.dll (wich is a problem) and upgrade it to newer (i think that fmod.dll have good downaward compapability)

About laser pistol, material for that mesh isn't completed, yet. (Rincewind already done it, but not uploaded yet)

Didn't see anyone post this and don't know if anyone else but for music volume when i adjust it, it follows the mouse no matter if I'm clicking or not, even if i exit and go back into it..

Also mouse is not usable at 1920x1200 at all, have to go to 800x600 just to use it. I'm not addressing this issue as its already known, just want to say how bad it is at that res.

Edited by Darkhomb

> but for music volume when i adjust it, it follows the mouse no matter if I'm clicking or not, even if i exit and go back into it..

Doesn't do that on my machine... Do you just enter sound options and it starts?

> Also mouse is not usable at 1920x1200 at all, have to go to 800x600 just to use it.

You mean it is deadly slow? Yeah, that one is fixed. For some time already. But nobody wants to update ogre dependencies! (meaningfully looking on guys from programming department).

> Windows will always try to load from the local path (where the bin is executing) and then go to the windows/system directory.

I did actually manage to put a broken fmod.dll into windows/system and start xenocide by making xenoui delay load fmod.dll and calling LoadLibrary just before loading xenoui.dll. But it sounds like a hack and worked kinda unstable for no apparent reason except that it wasn't supposed to work in the first place :).

I guess we'll eventually have to put xenoui in one folder with other libs.

> Also mouse is not usable at 1920x1200 at all, have to go to 800x600 just to use it.

You mean it is deadly slow? Yeah, that one is fixed. For some time already. But nobody wants to update ogre dependencies! (meaningfully looking on guys from programming department).

It's not that we don't, it's that we can't! Last time I tried to update the dependencies all heck broke lose, so I'm not touching them with a ten-foot pole.

As far as the bar going I figured out what I did, If you hold down the left mouse button on the level bar to the left or right of the slider and then drag off the bar either above or below and then let go it will still follow the mouse, you can then do the same to the other bar. After that the bars will follow the mouse regardless if you disabled the sound or not. you can close the menu and re open it and they will still follow.

As far as the bar going I figured out what I did, If you hold down the left mouse button on the level bar to the left or right of the slider and then drag off the bar either above or below and then let go it will still follow the mouse, you can then do the same to the other bar. After that the bars will follow the mouse regardless if you disabled the sound or not. you can close the menu and re open it and they will still follow.

Looks like the leaving of the widgets area makes the onmouseup event get lost. SupSuper, any offline hints on where to look? It would probably be subscribing to the onmouseleave and then firing an onmouseup manually...

Rincewind

Looks like the leaving of the widgets area makes the onmouseup event get lost. SupSuper, any offline hints on where to look? It would probably be subscribing to the onmouseleave and then firing an onmouseup manually...

Rincewind

Well our code just subscribes to Slider::EventValueChanged, the actual moving of the slider is handled internally by CEGUI. I'll ask on the CEGUI Forums to see if it's a bug on their side or ours.
Yep, same for me, so I guess we are waiting for someone who knows the stuff...

Well iirc Guyver is the dependencies expert, maybe we should poke him about it now that he's back ;) Edited by SupSuper

• 2 months later...

i`m new around here so i have few questions i wasn`t able to be answered in the FAQ about 728 version and the game as a whole.

1.which of the files in the download directory is the the game and when I downloaded should I download all of the patches after it or only the latest one (728).

2.I downloaded 653 and patched it with 728 . I`m not going to talk about all of the bugs that in fact are already mentioned a few times :).

In the wizard(version 728) was metioned that the installation require 425mb free space but after it was installed it consumed only 36-something mb.

Plz help :).

UFo rockz :)

• 7 months later...

Thanks Aphexx, but release 728 is ancient. It really has nothing to do with what we have now, especially since we started a full rewrite some months ago.

Can someone with administrative rights lock this thread?