XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Choose Your Favorite Weapon!

Cmdr. Luke

What is your favorite weapon in the game and why?  

283 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
And Cmdr. Luke, you don't make money by selling laser cannons? Wow, you must be pretty poor then... :)

OMG I thought medikits were the best way to make money! :o

I had to vote "other" because I LOVE rocket launchers with large rockets.. I use them a lot and for a long time too.. Almost at the end of the game I still have rocket launchers in use.. (Even if I have blaster launchers too..)

Best weapon for me has to be the Laser rifle.

No need for ammo lets me carry more grenades, its got good accuracy, decent power and since i don't have to keep good fire dicipline to conserve ammo i can use the autoshots to ensure enem kills and open up alternate entrances to spots aliens have well defended.

I always keep at least 4 of these on the transport at all times and enough of them in my general stores to equip all troops in case of base attack. In an emergancy Digging in with unlimited ammo makes it a very hairy situation for the aliens. Specially with the 10 or so tanks I keep in stock as a welcoming committee.

Edited by TopDawg540

When I'm in the money it Heavy Plasmas all around. It's, in my opinion, the best weapon availible. Not too heavy(same as plasma rifle), pretty easy to get ammo for(it's all the aliens carry after about to 25th of jan.) and it has great stopping power. That thing lets my rookies take on mutons on an almost equal footing. Okay, not really, but I've found it vastly improves their survival rates. Kinda. Usually thought the HP is for sargents and up. Squaddies use PRs and rooks just get a Laser Rifle and maybe a standard 'nade. But All my officers get Heavy plasmas. Even the Blaster launcher guy.

• 3 weeks later...

High on my absolute favourite weapon list is the laser pistol. It's more of a general preference rather than a concious effort at making the game harder. Like I mentioned in the same discussion in the TFTD thread, I like all sorts of weapons. But I'll just focus on the one this time - I'm trying to cut down the length of my posts :) .

Its main advantages over other weapons:

1. Fastest auto-fire in the game.

2. Has the second fastest snap-shot in the game. Combined with its fair damage, this makes it the ultimate reaction-fire weapon. (Not really, but you do get lots of shots, which is good for your all-important reaction stat)

3. It's a laser. What's does the word 'ammo' mean?

4. One-handed.

5. Very easy to obtain and produce.

It has flaws, of course:

1. Accuracy? What accuracy? This limits its usefulness to being primarily a short-range burst-fire weapon rather than for long range sniping.

2. Medium stopping power. 46 is nothing compared to the laser rifle's 60. But that's still quite a good deal of damage considering the volume of damage that you can dish out.

I wouldn't mind using it as a main weapon for a while (combined with grenades), but I'd prefer to not push my luck when aliens with heavier armour arrive (Mutons, Ethereals and sectopods being the main three I'd try to avoid. They have some pretty heavy armour).

No, I admit that it's not the best weapon. But that doesn't mean it's the worst, either.

- NKF

Edited by NKF

I concur, smoke grenades are very useful indeed. Their secondary use, although you won't be using it very much, if at all, is to choke severely wounded aliens and knock them out. It can come in rather handy if you forgot to bring stunners along and just so happened to find a sectoid commander...

Cpl. Facehugger: Well, depends on where you shoot the sectopod. If you can shoot it from underneath, it's dead. Easy. This can only be done in the terror ships, as there isn't anywhere else that you can get them one tile above you (you know, in those terror unit deployment pods above the two entrance passageways). If you try to get it in its front armour (which is as tough as Mag. Ion Armour if you're playing on Superhuman) forget it.

- NKF

If you try to get it in its front armour (which is as tough as Mag. Ion Armour if you're playing on Superhuman) forget it.

- NKF

Are you saying aliens armour is increasing with difficulty levels?! I didn't know even that! :o

Yep. Believe it or not, a superhuman sectopod has 142 front armour. I think superhuman's effectively doubled the original stats.

Nasty buggers! Eh?

Thankfully, this super tough armour is no match for the mighty stun bomb!

- NKF

<_ i think it stupid that you can stun sectopod. makes no sense at all.>

• 3 weeks later...

True, it doesn't make sense at all. But, perhaps it freezes up the coolant and other essential fluids used by the robotic parts and cybernetic brain - causing a total system lockdown? (wait, or was this just for the biodrone? I forget). The tanks cannot be stunned on the other hand. But I think this may be attributed to resistances and armour (like the lobstermen, only vs. stun) - but don't quote me on this last bit. I haven't checked.

- NKF

Well, the stun bomb is an electrical device (based on listening to the sound it makes.) It can't freeze anything. You are thinking of TFTD again. Hmm, maby the stun bomb shorts out the sectopod like an emp pulse?

Also, the brain is in the TFTD biodrone.

hmmm, I never really played a lot with the laser tough. For the rockets case, only in base missions. I think I'm just a die hard heavy plasma guy then. Once in a while the mind probe and the psi-amp are really cool to play with. That's for shure ^_^ playing with those aliens like a puppet :D

Laser is the most useful but rocket launcher is the coolest so rocket launcher is my all time favourite. Torpedo launcher in tftd is even cooler because of the trail it leaves! :)

You can, but you cannot shoot it manually. Your soldiers will merrily fire it via reaction fire.

- NKF

The same bug that lets you use plasma weapons at x-com1. Damn they have rushed the game to stores. They didn't fix almost anything (except difficulty bug). Just got more of them (research tree)

I know it's stupid you can't use it on land but it's still looking cool underwater.

And to aquatoids too. I like the deathscream of the gillman though. :devillaugh:

I was using guass for awhile in TFTD, until I my elite troops mean Mr. Lobsterman :cussing:

I switch to sonic cannon, and I fell in love with it, and the same with heavy plasma.

Human technology are so primitive when compare to the awesome power of the aliens!!!!! DIE DIE DIE AHAHAHAHAHAHA

I don't know if the sonic rifle is more accurate but I have always had that feeling. Sonic rifle would be my favourite sonic weapon. It looks cooler than that stupid sonic cannon.

• 2 weeks later...

The heavy laser's okay. It's just the massive speed tradeoff that make them less useful than, say the laser rifle or the laser pistol. Let's pretend that it had a much faster aimed and snapshot (say 3 - 4 possible snaps per turn), I'm sure it would be much more appealing than it is in its current state.

Nyyperiod: Regarding the look of the sonic weapons. I wouldn't say that one looks any better than the other. I mean, ever notice how all the sonic weapons look like the same gun, only with different attachments? I mean, the blasta rifle looks like it's the sonic pistol but with a sonic cannon clip on the end (like a silencer barrel fitting onto handguns), and the sonic cannon looks like the pistol but with a huge booster of some sort on the back (I'm guessing it's a turbine).

Heh, if anyone ever decides to remake TFTD, it would be interesting to have only one base weapon, the sonic pistol, and provide various attachments to transform the gun into different weapon modes on the spot.

- NKF

the heavy laser has decreased accuracy and no auto :puke:

and the sonic rifle looks the coolest. but did you realise that in TFTD the sonic pistol is more accurate, fires more shots, and is more powerful than the Heavy Gauss Cannon? I like UFO's weapons better, because the laser rifle is actually more powerful than the plasma pistol, meaning it is actually a sidearm. :puke:

Edited by blehm

Definately laser rifles,

Human homebrewed, autoshooting, clean, efficient, hightech and most important of all: infinite

thats 26 more items you can take on a mission cuase you ain't got to grab clips :cussing:

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, all the aliens do have psi strength, which is used to defend against mind attacks. What they don't have is psi-skill. The game hides psi-strength as long as psi-skill is 0, hence giving the impression that they don't have any psi strength.

The tanks, for example, don't list any psi strength, but their psi strength is 100. But there's no real point, as the aliens do not actively use mind attacks against tanks.

- NKF

• 4 weeks later...

PSI Amp...........not really a weapon but definately a useful device.......

"hey mr alien wanna go in this small room with lotsa your friends?"

*nod*

"here.....take this grenade with you"

*covers ears*

BOOM!

:explode: :explode: :explode:

:devillaugh: :devillaugh:

• 4 weeks later...
Either Heavy Laser or Laser Rifle. Both don't require ammo, and have decent power. I finished game with HLs for the first time and with LRs for the second time. Laser Rifles have another great advantage - they don't destroy precious Power Sources... :sly:

I fell in love with the laser rifle the moment I fired it the first time. Had some affairs with her bigger sister and even the gross heavy plasma (I will never forgive myself for that one) but always returned to my darling.

P.S: It always appeared to me as a box of yoghurt.

Hello forum, new here..

I voted hovertank/cannon, because I like their scouting. These scouts can usually take 1 hit before dying. They have so many time units and they can fly.

Rookies (indoors) and tanks (outdoors) take the hits, while the rest of the squad then knows the position and clears up.

To each his own. Heavy Plasma is nice because it can blast through UFO inner walls. Any weapon that doesnt take ammo (laser, plasma cannon/hovertank) is nice too, saves micromanagement.

my 2 cents..

sunsmountain

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey, don't underestimate the Auto-Cannon. Sure, sure--it gets outdated by, say, massive technological improvement, but c'mon...explosive ammo makes this thing a mini rocket-launcher with auto fire! Ha, ha-ha! Then, when rationality needs to take the place of sheer force (you pansy), you always have regular AP ammo to fall back on, if you remembered to bring some that is, so you're not confined to having to blow up your own guys in narrow areas. Top-notch gun, there, right next to the ever-handy plasma pistol. Yes, I make a stand for the underdogs.

But, I'll never side with the laser pistol. That thing was just so...lame. I got killed expecting it to instantly liquify an enemy standing just two squares away, rather than ducking behind cover.

How...disappointing.

You probably haven't wiped out an entire base with one before. ;) Try it sometime for fun. It's not a powerful weapon - it's not meant to be. But if used right it can be a very effective weapon.

But I'm biased. I didn't like it at first, but since I was able to pull off some fantastic victories with the laser pistol (it started with standard pistols, actually), I've come to rather enjoy it.

Just another pro-autocannon comment: combine it with a power suit and it turns into a great close-combat weapon. You won't feel the backlash from explosive rounds and who cares about accuracy at such short ranges? You may feel a bit from direct hits from autocannon HE shells, but even so the damage will be nothing compared to the heavy cannon, which can pack a punch.

- NKF

Edited by NKF

Just think of the damage you can do with the mind probe :LOL:

tough one though, at the start my favorites are AC and HC (once I still even took some of those to Mars :LOL: ), later on it's the laser rifle, and in the end the heavy plasma, although I never abandon the laser rifle, I always keep some men with that weapon.

Blaster launcher and Psi Amp are fun too, but I try to limit their use as it really makes everything too easy...

What is so good about a laser rifle?

I'm just reiterating what's already been said about it.

It's fairly accurate and it's faster than the plasma weapons. Fast guns are very good for training reactions - a most valuable stat. Like their two other laser counterparts, they need no ammo.

Best of all, laser rifles can kill anything in the game. Superhuman sectopods can pose a bit of trouble, but they'll still succumb to continuous laser rifle fire. So, you can go through entire game with just laser rifles if you wanted.

Laser rifles, requiring no clips, leave that one extra space for an additional grenade, medikit, or perhaps an extra blaster bomb or stun bomb. With grenade nuts like myself, this is a major plus. But who says you have to stick to the laser rifle? You can always put it in your pack and pick up a heavy plasma from a defeated enemy. Easy! :)

It's not as powerful as say the heavy plasma, but all its good qualities combined make it an excellent all-round useful weapon.

- NKF

Edited by NKF

I'm just reiterating what's already been said about it.

It's fairly accurate and it's faster than the plasma weapons. Fast guns are very good for training reactions - a most valuable stat. Like their two other laser counterparts, they need no ammo.

Best of all, laser rifles can kill anything in the game. Superhuman sectopods can pose a bit of trouble, but they'll still succumb to continuous laser rifle fire. So, you can go through entire game with just laser rifles if you wanted.

Laser rifles, requiring no clips, leave that one extra space for an additional grenade, medikit, or perhaps an extra blaster bomb or stun bomb. With grenade nuts like myself, this is a major plus. But who says you have to stick to the laser rifle? You can always put it in your pack and pick up a heavy plasma from a defeated enemy. Easy! :)

It's not as powerful as say the heavy plasma, but all its good qualities combined make it an excellent all-round useful weapon.

- NKF

It sounds like a very good weapon so far. Strange I never realy used it in all my countless games. I have always been so much focused on the Heavy Plasma.

Gonna use it.

Fast fire rate, and no ammo required. Plus, Sectopods are susceptible to laser fire :naughty:

I definitely agree, all of my guys have some kind of Laser, the Heavy weapon guys get a laser pistol to complement the Autocanon, my scouts/grenadiers get a laser Rifle and my officers carry a heavy plasma. That way, I can handle pretty much everything... :happybanana:

• 3 weeks later...

Ok I agree with everyone who says that Heavy Lasers STINK! Of course no auto mode, no accuracy, and heavy weapon also. You wouldn't see me EVER pick up that weapon on the battlefield {unless it was life or death of course}. My favorite is, and always will be the Heavy Plasma... just thinking about it gives me goosebumps! :rolleyes:

The only time that I chose the Laser Rifle over the Heavy Plasma was when I went to Mars and I couldn't give everyone a blaster launcher and a Heavy Plasma with extra ammo. Hence the Laster Rifle... :sly:

Well, you only need a bit more practice with the Laser Rifle IMO, it is a great light weapon with no amno :D

They are far more usefull to have in front of sectopods anyway, and if one of my guys get MCed, it is far better for my heavy armor guys if they get shot by 9 laser rifle hits than by 9 pheavy plasma bolts...

You people are too enamoured with the Laser Rifle's infinite ammo.

Face it. Laser Rifle = 60 damage. Heavy Plasma = 115 damage.

In another thread, I ran the calculations that indicate that the Heavy Plasma is STILL better than the Laser Rifle even against enemies that are resistant to plasma and vulnerable to laser (i.e. sectopod).

Against sectopods, laser rifle deals 90 and Heavy Plasma deals 92.

In spite of being a 'heavy' weapon, the weight class of Heavy Plasma is 8, making it just as encumbering as the Laser Rifle. At the same time, when are you actually going to use the whole 30+ shot clip? Heavy Plasma forever!

The ONLY things the laser rifle has over the Heavy Plasma is a SLIGHTLY faster firing rate and the unlimited ammo.

Heavy Plasma Advantages over Laser Rifle.

1. You get Heavy Plasma for FREE from the aliens.

2. Almost double damage.

Laser Rifle Advantages over Heavy Plasma

1. No ammo (almost mooted by the enormous ammo clip of the heavy plasma)

2. 450 man-hours of research to acquire the technology rather than 1200 and no need to investigate the aliens to get it.

These two advantages are essentially mooted later in the game.

After you have researched the heavy plasma, the amount of time it takes to get vs. the amount of time it takes to get the Laser is irrelevant. And after your base is oozing with Heavy Plasma clips, the limitless ammo of the Laser Rifle is also a moot point (since you almost never use all 35 shots of the heavy plasma anyway).

In short: Heavy Plasma > Laser Rifle

The heavy plasma outclasses the laser rifle: no argument there.

There there is one major advantage the laser rifle still posesses over the heavy plasma. It counts as 1 unit whereas the heavy plasma counts as 2 for its clip. So if you're a grenade nut like me, your precious space for that extra high-explosive will be in jeapordy.

The best part about the laser rifle is that it can be used in tandem with the heavy plasma. You start the mission with a couple of laser rifles, and before the mission is over, you'll all be toting your favourite deathray.

Me, as it's blatantly obvious, I prefer the laser pistol. But this is out of general preference rather than for a primarily practical reason. I'd be a complete idiot to not acknowledge its faults. :)

- NKF

Actually, I thought the Sectopod took HALF damage from the Heavy-plasma (and explosives too), wich shrinks it's 115 Damage down to 57.5, far less than the Laser Rifle's 90 (1.5x60).

That said, I usually equip half and half, my officers and big shots use Heavy plasma, and rookies/scouts/grenadiers use Laser Rifle/pistols for the lessTUs & reaction shots & amno-free & faster shots... And They ARE handy against sectopods (Esp on Superhuman)

Best of both worlds :D

(And that way I don't lack guns for my guys, and pick up Heavy plasma on the way if I really need them :naughty:

Oh, and if I find out I'm against Psy (or sometimes I don't have much choice of who to bring), then I'm real GLAD to equip my Psi-weak guys with laser rifles/pistols, that way my guys in Power/flying armor are pretty safe, and they can still punch through aliens easily... :LOL:

Edited by Paladin

• 4 weeks later...
While it is true that for most situations that the Heavy Plasma and laser rifle are very useful weapon, especially lazer weapons for your first terror site is very useful, they just can't beat the pure JOY of the blaster ball launcher, which can demolish entire floors of a building :devilburn: , its quite a site to see 2 stories of a building just floating there with nothing holding it up (at least in X-com apoc they collapsed) so for pure fun the blasterball launcher has to win this vote coz who doesnt enjoy destruction on a huge scale :D