XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Gas Cannons Vs. Gauss

Pherdnut

Even a stripped down agent with strength in the low twenties can carry a gas cannon loaded with one explosive clip with minimal loss of max TU (with the added bonus of the agents getting strength boosts a LOT faster if they can manage to get kills). I leave the more diversified roles to my stronger troops who carry an extra AP clip for indoor fighting and grenades or magnapacks for the really strong ones.

I'll give props to the Gauss Rifle for some very generous autofire stats and much greater clip efficiency, but I have to say, after quite a few terror missions, I haven't needed the ammo. When something, sometimes multiple somethings get hit with an explosive gas cannon round, they tend to die.

The nice thing about the explosive rounds is that they have a tighter damage range, making them a lot more predictable and the blast radius is an added factor when considering accuracy, especially when firing from above or at targets near lots of obstacles or next to a wall as near misses will still frequently kill/cripple enemies. Sometimes a Gill Man can take a hit, but it's a sure bet he won't be firing back with his accuracy stats intact.

Seriously, try skipping Gauss altogether until it's time to start the cannon factory. I don't think you'll be disappointed. It's a big old chunk of research diversion away from your early game research goals and a combination of gas cannons and sonic pulsers is more than good enough to get you through the early game.

• 8 months later...

Gas cannons are still the only way you can set fire to stuff on land. Besides, the high explosive shells will continue to have a punch that'll wipe out most of the easier non-Lobsterman enemies with ease. The AP shell however will go the way of the gauss round. It gets outclassed the moment you start using sonic weaponry.

I still find room for one of these babies later on, but yes, the amount that you use tends to diminish as you play.

- NKF