XCOMUFO & Xenocide

The Path To Getting The Ultimate Ship.

koriand'r

I have a problem and this problem is this: I researched Ion beam accelators, zarnite, alien sub construction, magnetic navigation (I'm sure I did because it shows on the list researched but yet not able for manufacturing.) My alien research origin is now researching T'leath and yet I have no way of being able to research any advanced xcom/alien hybrid ships like the avenger in the first xcom game. Is there anything else I need to study on or have I hit a bug?

It wasn't clear in your explanation, but I take it you've got the Hammerhead?

Good, go and capture a lobsterman commander. This should unlock the Leviathan.

To kill two birds with one stone, make sure you've researched Alien Origins or The Ultimate Threat before you interrogate the lobsterman commander.

Alien Origins + Lobsterman commander (or navigator) = The Ultimate Threat

The Ultimate Threat + Another Lobsterman Commander = T'Leth The Alien's City

Doing it this way just avoids having to capture yet another lobsterman commander.

If you don't have any ships at all, the prerequisites for the first hybrid ship, the Manta, are Sub Construction (research item) and Magnetic Ion Armour.

Also, as of the v2.0 patch, Ion Beam Accelerators are no longer available for manufacture. Not sure why, but that's just how it is.

- NKF

Edited by NKF

That sounds like your problem. What are you missing, the armour or sub construction?

As for the Tasoth Commander some older versions of the game allowed Tasoth Commanders to appear on the research list. Researching it really messes up the research tree and either stops you from getting one or both of the important elements required to get to T'Leth. The latest patch stops them from appearing for research, so you shouldn't run into this bug. If you still get it to appear, leave it alone and only interrogate it after you've obtained the Leviathan and the T'Leth launch button.

Tasoth don't normally have commanders, but one can still get generated on odd occasions.

- NKF

Edited by NKF

well I'm yet to get magnetic armor, thing is i researched all the aliens including a lobsterman commander, I got T'leath under research, but not completed. Am I assuming I'm going to have to capture the lobsterman commander to get say the hammerhead or the final ship? I know i'll have to get another live deep one alien to get research into ion armour.

I apolgise this is my first time on the second xcom game, I'm doing very well but the research is well...less simple then the first xcom game.

If you've already researched Live Deep One, but didn't get Ion Armor, then you'll need to research Live Deep One again...IF the game will let you. Sometimes it will, sometimes it won't...this is one of the nasty research bugs that TFTD has...

You've gotta have Mag. Ion Armor before you'll get New Fighter Sub (Manta)...but all you need for Hammerhead is Manta. To get from Hammerhead to Leviathan, you'll need another Lobbie Commander

You'll need to capture another live Deep One and see if you can research it...if so, then you're good to go, but if not, then you'll have to start a new game or hack your game to permit you to proceed...without advanced crafts (specifically, Leviathan) you cannot win the game...

Crus8r

If you still get it to appear, leave it alone and only interrogate it after you've obtained the Leviathan and the T'Leth launch button.

Tasoth don't normally have commanders, but one can still get generated on odd occasions.

- NKF

There is absolutely no reason to research a Tasoth commander whatsoever, and you can't delete them. They are not supposed to appear. If you get one, build another alien containment in a far off base where there are no scientists, dump him there and forget about him forever. Never research him, even by accident.

Welcome to earth sucker :yarr:

Actually, as pointed out in the UFO forum, you can delete it. Build a lab at the base, start the project (there's no need for scientists), then dismantle the containment and the lab. Tada!

Unfortunately, if you rebuild a lab at this same base later, it will still be on the research list. If you want to wipe it completely, you need to dismantle the base all the way down to the access lift. Effectively, you need to remove the base from the Geoscape. When you rebuild the base, the research list for this base will be clear. If you don't intend to use this base a research base, then you can leave it as is.

- NKF

I have a problem and this problem is this: I researched Ion beam accelators, zarnite, alien sub construction, magnetic navigation (I'm sure I did because it shows on the list researched but yet not able for manufacturing.) My alien research origin is now researching T'leath and yet I have no way of being able to research any advanced xcom/alien hybrid ships like the avenger in the first xcom game. Is there anything else I need to study on or have I hit a bug?

After researching "Alien Sub Construction" project the new project "New Fighter Flying Sub" should have been made available......is it not?

• 1 month later...

After researching "Alien Sub Construction" project the new project "New Fighter Flying Sub" should have been made available......is it not?

I really can't remember, possibly or possibly not. All i know is that I researched verything except hammerhead because that hasn't shown up. it just might be that i need another live deep one. I'm now in the game's second year, done about 4-5 artifact missions (Do they stop going after 12?) but if this deep one dosen't show again then I'll have to start new game and make stunning them a priority.

If you've got everything but the Hammerhead, does that mean you've got the Manta? Most unusual. The Manta should automatically unlock the Hammerhead after you've done it.

It's highly unlikely, but try a combination of lobstermen navigators and commanders and see if they're any help.

If all else fails, zip up your savegame and post it in the savegames forum for dissection.

- NKF

Edited by NKF

Forgive me on the last post, I forgot to include manta, basically I have pretty much reseached everything but I'm yet to get the manta and such, I'm still waiting for another deep one as said before because that must be the only thing left, in order to get mafnetic armour which in turn will lead to Ion and the advanced ships. And the dam thing is, in the mid second year so far and there are no deep ones at all!

I have to wonder whever they'll reappear when the 12 artifact missions are done with. (I'm assuming that surface terror raids will come back on when the artifact missions end. Do they end or is it an unlimited number despite the 12?)

Alternatively I could cheat and ask someone to give me a file save of T'leath (first stage) if it's possible, really if research was so dependent on the deep one, one would have to ask why the aliens even bothered creating such a creature given you need a deep one to get the armour and such!

edit: zip a file and post it in savegame forums? Too much pressure too much pressure! I'm not that good on computers!

Edited by koriand'r

I believe there are an unlimited number of artifact sites, and terror sites are not stopped by artifact sites. Its just later on you don't see very many terror sites

• 4 weeks later...

Well I decided to restart again and this time Ib don't just have one live captured deep one but FIVE! The'r popping up all over again, which is werid given they never show later on in the year or the year after for that matter. This makes me think that if the deep ones are rare and IF they don't show up again in the later years (in my case it appears so) i wonder then if this was done deliberetly by the devlopers into making the game harder given how crucial a deep one is to research.

Anyway I'm hoping this time now I got the missing link that the pathway to the ultimate ship will be open!

Deep Ones only appear during the first month or two, and again in the endgame (during mixed-race missions). If you don't nab one fast, you're in for a lot of trouble, since surviving to the endgame is going to be heck without Aqua Plastics, armor, new ships, etc.

Here's a (mostly) full research tree for TFTD, with notes on research bugs. It was made by some other guy on this forum, but I can't be bothered to find the post now, so kudos to whomever.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j54/tser...om2techtree.png

Edit: nvm, found it: http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2294

Edited by Tsereve