XCOMUFO & Xenocide

UFO 1 alien voice patch

Mok

I'll be waiting for the results....I keep hoping someone will fix the sound problems for dos, which is what most have wanted here for a very long time.

I'm not to sure if its the.cat files, biglets dat or smallset dat or the .exe which needs to be changed. Mok included all of these in his zip files. If my hex editor is working correctly, then the .cat files can be ruled out. I did a hex comparision that showed the them to be an exact match of the 1.4 .cat files, so that narrows it down to the .exe, biglets and smallset dat. The thing is, even if I new where to look, no information has ever been posted as to how to work out a change in the other included files to achieve the same effect in dos. I have no clue how Mok managed to rework the music to play properly from the .exe or other files he included in the 1st place which is the problem.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i hope it will be clear enough to understand.

battlescape sounds are strored in following files:

SAMPLE2.CAT for patched version, SOUND1.CAT for old.

both files tocs have same format:

{offset : 4 bytes (indicates position of sound in whole file)

length : 4 bytes (length of sound w/ or w/o header, see below) }

*[number of sounds]

the rest of the new .cat file looks as follows:

{some 3 bytes : 3 bytes (header of some kind?)

wave : length bytes }

*[number of sounds]

the wave is a standard wave with 44 bytes riff header, unsigned 8 bit mono @ 11025 Hz format.

the rest of the old .cat file looks as follows:

{some 6 bytes : 6 bytes (header of some kind?)

pcm data : length-6 bytes }

*[number of sounds]

pcm data is in unsigned 8-bit mono @ 8 kHz format.

there is one more catch. for some reason, pcm samples are in range 0-63 (they use only 6 bits). if played as they are, they will be quiet and there will be click at the beginning and at the end. to solve this every byte has to be multilplied by 4.

in order to make your own sound patch you have to:

1. rip both files

2. decide which sound you like better old, and which new

3. multiply chosen old files by four

4. resample and save them in format described above

5. rebuild toc

6. glue everything together

i did resampling with cool pro edit 2, and file ripping/rebuilding with simple programs written in pascal. i have no idea what is the purpose of those 3 bytes and what will happen if you omit them. i kept them just in case.

and remember! make backup copies, don't work on the original files!

So how did you figure all this out for the dos version exactly??? I have found nothing that can extract the sounds from the .cat files and I am unfamiliar with cooledit. I think I downloaded it at one time, and attempted to extract the sounds, but was unsuccessfull. Even if I could extract the sounds I wanted, I don't know of any program to re-package the older 1.2 sound effects to work with the 1.4 dos version properly. I can hex edit most stuff to my liking (who can't) but I have no idea how to rework the files as you have said here to get back the old sound effects of 1.2....I, like many others here are NOT proffesional programmers. If you know of someone who could package a program to give back the old sound effects of 1.2 instead of the crappy 1.4 stuff, many here would probably be eternally grateful.

On a different note: I have once again have borrowed the CE version for testing (Working with a p3@800mhz and win 98). Quick bug note on Windows CE version: (using moks files with the latest patches available) Even with all updates and various mods for the music, the music STILL quits during tactical combat. For shorter missions you will hear the music sometimes stop...restart....stop etc. On longer missions, such as the ones against battleships, it will eventually fail completly. Strangely enough, the sound effects continue to work perfectly. I saved the game in which the music quit, and exited; coming back in the music was turned on again. Has anyone else had this problem?? Once the music is "out" it stays out even after you have completed the mission and returned to the geoscape.....exiting the game and restarting seem to be the only way to get the music back on and then there is no guarantee it won't happen again (its happened to me on several occasions). Sadly there is no way to choose whether you can turn the sound effects on or off as in the dos version.

I have the CE version running fine on Windows 2000 (an old laptop I have) and using XcomUtil. All that's missing is the original alien sounds. Is it possible to run Mok's patch then install XUtil, or would that replace the original sounds with the CE sounds again?

I have the CE version running fine on Windows 2000 (an old laptop I have) and using XcomUtil. All that's missing is the original alien sounds. Is it possible to run Mok's patch then install XUtil, or would that replace the original sounds with the CE sounds again?

if you only install part one, it should work just fine. Don't know what happens when you use part 2 as well...

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Marshall
Can anyone provide a download for the sound files, extracted from the cat files? Or perhaps make it simple for me to extract them myself? I have no idea how to do this!

I have taken the liberty of using Quantifiers programs and Cooledit to go ahead and convert ALL the old 1.2 X-com sound effects over to that of 1.4. I doubt if there will be any problems on the DOS 1.4 versions :fingerscrossed: but there might be problems with using this file on the Windows CE version (these are only the sound effects from the battlescape by the way) Sample2.rar

I have taken another liberty or two by doing a couple of things with the sounds to make them a bit more tolerable.

1 Increased the amplitude by @10 db

2 Used Cooledits "hiss" reduction utility to minimize the background noise caused by converting old 8000hz 1.2 sounds over to 11025 1.4 sounds

***all credit goes to Quantifier for this. Without his programs I wouldn't have been able to extract or glue the sounds together***

• 3 weeks later...

Look, I've read this whole thread and you people all seem to know what your doing with the whole hex editing, game hacking thing. Unfortunately I'm not quite sure what your talking about. My problem is this. X-Com is my favorite game....ever. Its the only game I own (and I got a lot) that I actually give a crap about. It won't run on my machine (p3 2GHZ GeForce win xp). All I get when I try to run it is an opening screen with graphics shot to heck. I'm using X-Com CE version.

Can somebody please help out this laman. I'm helplessly addicted to this game, have been since it came out and if I can't figure out a way to make it work I think I will have to be hospitalized. I understand you all have been talking about fixes but I don't know computers at all. Please help me!!!!

• 3 weeks later...
Hey, I do not know if this is relivant but something strang happens when I try to reinstall my xcom game. It works fine except for two files. It says "An error occurred extracting c:\games\xcom\GEODATA\BIGLETS.DAT (this file might currently be in use). Would you like to try copying the file again?" And then again the same error occurs with the file "c:\games\xcom\GEODATA\SMALLSET.DAT". If I try recopying I get the same error, and this happens everytime I try to overwrite an installation in any location. Hmm well I am truely stumped. Maybe someone knows what this means or what these two files in particular do?? Well thanks for your help.

Is there any chance that you could create an EXE that works in a higher resolution but without the 2xSai filter?

I can't get UFO Defense to run at a playable speed on my computer (in Battlescape) whilst the resolution is 320x200, and I don't like the blurring on the 2xSai filter.

I've tried the EXE from the UFOET patch that runs at 640x400 and it is great, but a) I can't change the Geoscape timing using the hexedit thing mentioned in this thread and B) I don't want all the extra features/bugfixes in that EXE.

//edit: Oh, and Inteck: Your sound patch works marvellously in the CE version of UFO :)

Edited by gazchap

:) Thanks for the info on the sound. I was going to rework the sounds in the opening title sequence to include the best sound effects of both 1.2 and 1.4 such as the gun click loading sound when you see a hand taking a rifle off the weapons rack. There are sounds like this which exist in the 1.2 which are not in 1.4 and vice versa.

The Ufoint.fli file under the Ufointro directory (Note: can be played by a seperate program by itself) contains the introductory cinematic, but I can't figure out how to get the sounds to match up to the movie....The the sounds themselves are in the sample 3 file.

Edited by Inteck

• 1 month later...
Guest Guest

i love you in a way that is too dirty for the internet.

i really think i almost cried when i heard those old sounds for the first time in 6 years. favorite game of all time. many good things upon you sir.

-tekproxy

Very good work, but is it only me that have some problems with the sounds quality ? on there seems to be some parasits sometimes on the sounds ? a bit like if something extra was playing after the sound.

English isn't my primary language but what i mean if there there is some annoying sounds parasites from time to time.

• 2 months later...
Guest FixitMad

Hi,

I wanted to know what the final outcome was to get the DOS version to play the original cool sounds from 1.0/1.2? I guess I"m not sure what files to use for the DOS version. I do not have the CE version. I only have the DOS version of X-Com installed v1.4 (Installed version 1.2 upgraded to 1.4).

Thanks. <_<

Just registered and all, downloaded the patch, and everything works great the better intro and etc. The only thing I hate is that it slows geoscape down to a crawl. Is there anyway to get the music,screams etc to work without slowing down Geoscape, if not then I will just use the old ones. -_-

Just registered and all, downloaded the patch, and everything works great the better intro and etc. The only thing I hate is that it slows geoscape down to a crawl. Is there anyway to get the music,screams etc to work without slowing down Geoscape, if not then I will just use the old ones. -_-

Yes, don't extract the .exe file.

Yes, don't extract the .exe file.

Then i don't have intro sfx then, just music.

couldn't you create an exe file with just the intro music fixed?(even the screenprolem doen't have to be fixed, i'll use the loader.)

or maybe you ca just say which bytes modify the intromusic.

or which bytes fix the times(i don't want the times fixed, if the geoscape is this... shuckeroonies)

Guest Guest
Hello,

I get the following error right after the intro when I try to use this patch:

file d:\ss\xcom\ufo defense\Stubs.c Line:58

cannot open file sound/sample.cat

Can anyone tell me how to fix this?

Thanks,

Matt

IS there the sample.cat in the sound directory?

• 2 weeks later...

I'll say it again - pain.

Or actually - someone still needs to match the v1.2 intro sound effects into the Windows version's intro. I would do it if I could, but I'm no hacker. However, I'm very available for any work that could help this end - contact me at [email protected] if you're planning to migrate the old intro SFX. Or, if somebody already has, please let us all know and we'll kiss the ground at their feet.

• 2 weeks later...

While Mok's first patch works perfectly, I can't get the 2xSai one to run. You're supposed to put in in the game's folder and run it in place of the original executable, right? Yet when I do that, the screen goes black for a couple of seconds, then returns to the desktop. I also tried putting both of Mok's patched executables (UFO Defense from UFO1_VoicesPatch.rar and UFO from ufoexe.rar or UFO1_2xSai.rar) in the directory and running UFO Defense.exe, but that doesn't apply the filter, just the enhancements from the first patch.

It's no big deal playing the game without a filter, but any help running it is appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

ALF: You need to first unpack the regular patch into the game directory, put the 2xSAI exe into the game directory and then run the 2xSAI exe.

If that doesn't work, then all I can think of is that it uses a graphics mode that isn't supported on your card or something.

It's worthy of note, though, that the filtered graphics are - true to the general norm of unspecialized graphics filters - nothing short of awful, and shan't be missed.

• 3 months later...
Please download the latest winrar and try a few more times, we seem to be having trouble with downloads (just tried and I can open the file just fine)

Thanks Azrael.

I downloaded the latest WinRAR, cleared my cache and attempted another download. Still get the unexpected end of file message.

Is there any way you could email it to me? I will PM you the address if it's okay.

Thanks again.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Ok, for those who really liked the old scratchy alien voices from UFO 1.0 or 1.2, here is a patch for CE edition with new voices replaced. Additionally the archive contains patched exe with fixed timer, plays music through DirectMusic, fixes gfx garbling and adds sounds in the intro (missing only in CE version). I know there are better versions of UFO1 executable with lots of other modifications, but if you want to play original game only, give it a try.

Just unrar the files into your UFO directory (make a backup first). The patch is divided in 2 parts as attachments can't be longer than 500kb here. This is the only version, there will be no updates.

Btw: if you unrar it onto your DOS UFO1 v1.4, it will turn it into Windows CE version. Simply run "Ufo defense.exe" to play.

Wow. I just tested it out on Win XP with a GEForce2 and it seems to work great. Thanks Mok, you are a gentleman and a scholar!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone, I am also having the same problem with the RAR file, it seems to be corrupted. I do have the latest version of winrar and I even tried decompressing file by file and none of them worked.

I was wondering if it could be possible to get the files by email or someone could post a new uncorrupted rar file?

my email is [email protected]

Thanks!

The patch seems to mess up the sound that is played when you use the mind reader. It plays the sound of a dying cryssalid.

Besides that, this is excellent work!!

Yes. Also zombie-walking sounds like HE-ammo explosions. Giant zombie!? :D Same with Snakemen crawling IIRC. Gotta check it.

Edited by MaaZeus

• 2 months later...

Since it seems like quite a few people are having CRC errors with the second patch, I decided to try to see if I had better luck. Nope. Not to worry though, StrategyCore has both Parts 1 & 2 in a single unified fix which can be found here. :)

- Zombie

• 4 months later...

I read the entire thread and I think the answer to my desires is "NO", but want to make sure.

I'm running the original DOS version patched to 1.4. I want to continue using 1.4 because of the bug fixes, but would like to have the sounds from the 1.0 (US) or 1.2 (Europe) version.

Can I do this? And if so, how?

• 2 months later...
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but in order for this alien scream mod to be compatible with the PS1 MP3 Music mod, you need to only copy the "Sample2.cat" from this patch to your Sound directory. This is where the alien scream is located. I'm not sure why the OP calls it the "alien voice patch" when he is really giving out a lot more than that. The name should have been a little more specific.

Ok, I've read this topic but I can't find an answer to my question.

I've patched UFO with 1.4 patch. This patch damaged game sound. When I walk onto ground, I hear always sound like my soldier walk onto metal plates. I'm almost sure, the file "Tactical.exe" or "Geoscape.exe" was by patch damaged. I've convert sounds from old UFO1.2 and copy over new sound files, but this doesn't help. Can anybody tell me how can I repair tactical.exe??? OMG

• 6 months later...

this patch is similar to Mok's except it also replaces the intro sounds with the original v1.2 ones, in addition, some original battlescape sounds missing in Mok's release are now included

the "UFO Defense.exe" file provided in this patch is actually AbraM's version which enables mp3 music capability, for more info read "mp3info.txt" or visit:

http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8576

note: CE edition only! this patch is not compatible with the DOS version!

**4-year update :P **

i have just uploaded a DOS compatible version, all sounds from the previous patch are included except for the intro

it should also work fine with either the DOS or Windows versions you get from the Steam Store

you might prefer the DOS version of UFO v1.4 because it's free of the sound bugs introduced in the Windows UFO Collectors/Gold editions (some of the aliens' movement sounding like explosions and the like)

any comments and suggestions are welcomed!

UFO_Voices_patch__new_version_.zip

UFO_Voices_patch__UFO_1.4_DOS_Steam_.zip

Edited by strife67

• 1 month later...
this patch is similar to Mok's except it also replaces the intro sounds with the original v1.2 ones, in addition, some original battlescape sounds missing in Mok's release are now included

the "UFO Defense.exe" file provided in this patch is actually AbraM's version which enables mp3 music capability, for more info read "mp3info.txt" or visit:

http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8576

note: CE edition only! this patch is not compatible with the DOS version!

any comments and suggestions are welcomed!

awesome patch! only thing it needs is a tacscape slowdown. everything is way faster than it should be, even when everything is set on 1.

• 3 months later...

Has anyone ever got around to fixing the few "broken" sounds in the mod?

Like the snakeman/zombie footsteps, for example.

Also, as asked above; is it possible to just fix the sound but leave other data intact?

edit:

Oooh, the voice patch has a third alien scream I've never heard before.

Not the high-piched shriek of the original, nor the low, slown-down one from ce.

This one is deep and long, but sounds like perhaps the ce one was meant to. Ace!

Edited by Munkeh

Has anyone ever got around to fixing the few "broken" sounds in the mod?

Like the snakeman/zombie footsteps, for example.

Also, as asked above; is it possible to just fix the sound but leave other data intact?

edit:

Oooh, the voice patch has a third alien scream I've never heard before.

Not the high-piched shriek of the original, nor the low, slown-down one from ce.

This one is deep and long, but sounds like perhaps the ce one was meant to. Ace!

The "broken" sounds are actually bugs from the game itself, not from the mod, try with a unmodded fresh installation of the game and you'll notice the same problem (the bug is only present in the Windows CE version, though). Not sure what you mean with fixing the sound without touching the data, you can do just that by replacing the original 'sample2.cat' and 'sample3.cat' with those provided in the patch while keeping the original .EXE file.

BTW, which patch did you try? The version I posted here includes some effects that were missing from Mok's release and also features the original sound effects from the intro.

Great work !!!

Thanks very much !!! =b

Just a little regret, isn't possible to improve the sound like Amiga version ? (simply replace 8svx iff files)

Many "free" sound are now available and better than original X-COM sound. Simply CAT editor exist ?

work was done with the following tools:

Quantifier's oldrip.exe (ufo v1.2 sound ripping)

Johan Prins' fast module extractor 2.1, fm-ext (ufo CE sound ripping)

cool edit 2000 (raw pcm to wave conversion, some wave edition)

total commander (file multi-renaming)

Quantifier's glue.exe (file combining)

But isn't important, I "chipote" :P