XCOMUFO & Xenocide

"failed To Connect To Server" Message

Nels

Hi guys.

Long-time lurker here; may I just say "Thank you" to everyone who's ever had anything to do with UFO2000? Straight up my favourite game of all time. Thanks.

Anyway, I get the "Failed to connect to server message".

I used to play the stable version of UFO & after a hiatus I have downloaded Versh 0.70162 (I think!), because I think that the old stable version is no longer supported online, right?

Anyway, this is about the new version: it looks amazing with the scaled down UFO graphics, Hotseat is brilliant, the new weapons rule...

But I can't get it to connect to the internet server.

I'm running a P3 700 with 256 Mb ram over a 56K modem. I don't have a firewall & run Windows 98 (yeah I know!).

I just downloaded the exe straight out the box & installed it, dropped the original XCom in the appropriate folder... And I press connect to internet & I get nada. I've checked that the server is actually up at the time, so I haven't just been trying on downtime.

I've tried connecting to the net before I start UFo2000 & also letting the game try to connect, but still nothing.

I appreciate you're busy guys -- I'm not expecting support & I sincerely apologise if this has been covered in the FAQs (I have read them honest!) but all I can see RE: this matter is just that I have to turn my firewall off: I have no firewall!

I wouldn't bother you normally but I am truly stuck. I do have an older (0.646 something I think) version of the Beta which I could install, but I'd love to get the new version working!

Again, if this has already been covered then sorry please delete the topic. Apologies.

Thank you anyway everyone, & Happy Holidays!

Best,

Nels.

Now I feel stupid!

I hit connect like you said whenever I got the error message, & ten times later, guess what...?

Goddamn thing connected!

Thank you, & sorry to waste everyone's time!

Now I just need someone to blow up...

Best,

Nels

(AKA Turbosatan)