XCOMUFO & Xenocide

if im stuck with that lonely sectoid, i just oull uo my laser riffle/blaster-launcher, and start blasting all the buildings :devillaugh: Edited by mikker

[quote name='dragon0085' date='Jun 20 2003, 08:30 PM']Why on earth would we have the dogs bite do little damage?  I can tell you for a fact a trained dog bite WILL do more damage then most gun shots (Ex-cluding shotguns, high powered weapons etc.)[/quote]
Sorry but I think your information might be a little off. A dog bite is painful and can cause damage but is rarely fatal. K-9's are trained to attack a limb, they usually grab on to what is offered like a hand or an arm. The idea is to incapacitate the bad guy so the police can get disarm or subdue him. A bullet in comparison is made to enter the body to cause damage. I have seen a few severe dog bites, but nothing that would cause a fatal wound. I have also seen plenty of shot people, in comparison I would rather be bitten by a trained K-9 anyday than shot with even a .22!!

• 1 year later...
I love the idea of a K-9 Handler. You would have to limit the number but he comes with a dog that will help locate aliens. Maybe have him move toward the nearest alien in the dog's range. You could give it 3-4 basic commands such as:

Search - Dog automatically moves towards nearest alien in it's range.
Stay - Dog doesn't move
Come - Dog returns to the handler
Attack - Dog will run and perform a physical attack on alien (of course, this will probably result in the dog's death next turn but it may have it's place in the game)

I would make it so the dog worked on a limited AI, such as moving after its Handler moved and staying within X number of squares. It wouldn;t really serve much purpose at this point other then another target for the aliens. You have to research an alien corpse before you would be given the Search and Attack commands. Edited by DG_Slider

Hmmm, looks like someone really likes cut& paste on his posts here :LOL:
Seriously, though, interesting idea, perhaps for a mod...
But I would'n t put my Dog through what the rookies go through... :D
seriously, though, a dog is good to find the aliens, but the trouble is it can be noisy, hence revealing your soldier's position... Usefull when looking for a lone alien in a large area, but not in close quarter fighting with armored opponents... We have motion scanners for that :D

• 4 months later...
Ok guys, i was wondering myself... Should´nt XCOM Units be able to have "special" or genetic created attack dogs? I mean, this one could be created after capturing a genetic manipuled creature eg Mutons, Or reapers. Then they could be armored with a personel coat, and have lots of UT´s (120 would be fair) and a damage of 60 each bite.

Also as animals are NOT intelligent, they should not be mind controlled.

Again, the idea is open to corrections.

I think this early in X-COM's history, its wiser to postpone them dabbling into genetic engineered anything, so the thought of even using "normal" dogs is appealing in its own right.

I disagree that dogs though are so unintelligent that mind control wouldn't work on them. I think you'd have to get so low on the food chain for it to have a null effect, such as on rodents, snakes or some such that have barely anything there to work with.

However, again, we enter into a question of balance concerns and performance. How should dogs perform? Trackers/attackers is my guess. On the tracking bit, I imagine that once landed and you let the dogs out (who let the dogs out? sorry couldn't help myself) their abilities will make it such that when they take off in a direction, even with the alien out of line of sight of your men, it gives them too much of a hint as to what direction its in before the firing starts (not that that's a bad thing, I mean, it can only chase after one at a time anyway - plus on average, how many dogs might you want or be able to bring on a mission?)..

So I think to actually examine this further as a bonefied unit (albeit a more expendable one than a crap rookie), its only feasible to introduce adequate weaknesses for letting them lead the way at the earliest outset. Being mind controlled or at risk of being shot on sight (just like anyone else for that matter) should be a given.

The pluses for the unit are obviously, you'll know the general direction of at least one alien out of the bunch that are there, as well as the dog being a great damage inflictor in the melee category of fighting if it lasts long enough to get close

As for giving it some armor, I don't mind it, but not so much of it that it hinders its movements too badly. Perhaps something akin to a personal armor or kevlar vest variant. Cop dogs have something similar though I can't address how it effects their performance chasing down punks on the block :) Edited by Snakeman

I think it's a good idea. The aliens have Chrysallids as killer-scouts, why can't we have dogs as weak-scouts? And while we're at it, why not tarantulas or snakes set as traps?

[url="http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1339"]K-9 handlers[/url] is about the same thing, minus mind control. Where is a mod where you need them ... (J'Ordos: you're old. Face it :P)

[quote name='centurion' date='Jan 16 2005, 02:04 PM'][url="http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1339"]K-9 handlers[/url] is about the same thing, minus mind control. Where is a mod where you need them ... (J'Ordos: you're old. Face it :P)
[right][post="107533"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
They are never far... In fact, they're closer than you might want them to be :P
merged!

1. MMMMmmm imagine aliens running from dogs....

2. I said, we should have genetic mutated dogs. Perhaps normal and weak at beginning, but larger and strong at final stages.

3. Dogs becomes stronger as many experiece they acquire (like soldiers).

4. [quote]Sorry but I think your information might be a little off. A dog bite is painful and can cause damage but is rarely fatal. K-9's are trained to attack a limb, they usually grab on to what is offered like a hand or an arm. The idea is to incapacitate the bad guy so the police can get disarm or subdue him. A bullet in comparison is made to enter the body to cause damage. I have seen a few severe dog bites, but nothing that would cause a fatal wound. I have also seen plenty of shot people, in comparison I would rather be bitten by a trained K-9 anyday than shot with even a .22!![/quote]

It depends on the dog. K9 are trained to attack on leg or arm, but other ones (such as DOVERMAN :devillaugh: ) attack right on the neck, so their bites are often fatal. Edited by Adun_Toridas

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I think genetic/mechanical/nanotechnological augmentation should be an option on both humans and dogs, but funding nations wouldn't like it. You'd get extreme funding cuts. See the nanotech and morals threads.

• 1 year later...