New Modeler

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Xenocide started in 2003

I'm aware of that. I was making a joke, about the fact that we've been working on the XNA branch for a year now.

Hmm. We really haven't gotten very far for 12 months work, have we?

Need to work harder. Excuse me while I go look for the electric cattle prod.

It is a question of productivity not a question of graphics detail what we are answering here... High Poly is more scalable than low poly, mainly because low poly get outdated (like the frag granade) while High Poly can be automatically downgraded with far less manual work using LOD (Level of Detail) tools. With High Poly you can derive the normal map directly from the geometry (NVidia Melody), you can paint over the surface if you use something like ZBrush, and the list continue... I wont go up in requirements without a clear winning and currently what we are on is improving productivity.

I didn't really think about LOD tools. Ironically I used a script called "Poly Reducer" to get the low polygon Proxy Grenade... I guess I was too concerned about the user to notice that. :)

Perhaps in the case of polygon reduction (if you ever get to the point of completing the game of course), you could always feature low graphics level options like MAD suggested.

I'm aware of that. I was making a joke, about the fact that we've been working on the XNA branch for a year now.

Yes, you are indeed making tremendous progress in the past 12 months. Out of curiosity, who else has been taking a large active role in the programming department besides yourself?

Edited by Kratos

Guest Azrael Strife

David, considering the previous work that was going on in PRG before you, you're lightyears away in terms of organisation and productivity (not to mention progress itself....).

It is a question of productivity not a question of graphics detail what we are answering here... High Poly is more scalable than low poly, mainly because low poly get outdated (like the frag granade) while High Poly can be automatically downgraded with far less manual work using LOD (Level of Detail) tools. With High Poly you can derive the normal map directly from the geometry (NVidia Melody), you can paint over the surface if you use something like ZBrush, and the list continue... I wont go up in requirements without a clear winning and currently what we are on is improving productivity.

I didn't really think about LOD tools. Ironically I used a script called "Poly Reducer" to get the low polygon Proxy Grenade... I guess I was too concerned about the user to notice that. :)

Perhaps in the case of polygon reduction (if you ever get to the point of completing the game of course), you could always feature low graphics level options like MAD suggested.

Yes, you are indeed making tremendous progress in the past 12 months. Out of curiosity, who else has been taking a large active role in the programming department besides yourself?

Darkhomb, StaffSargeant and Geerzo, IIRC, though the latter two are a bit AWOL for the moment, I hope they're back soon :)

David, considering the previous work that was going on in PRG before you, you're lightyears away in terms of organisation and productivity (not to mention progress itself....).

Darkhomb, StaffSargeant and Geerzo, IIRC, though the latter two are a bit AWOL for the moment, I hope they're back soon :)

StaffSargeant is not AWOL, I got a patch from him a couple of days ago. But it needs more work before I'll accept it.

Guest Azrael Strife
StaffSargeant is not AWOL, I got a patch from him a couple of days ago. But it needs more work before I'll accept it.

I guide myself by forum posts, sorry :)

Watching some threads in Xenocide lately...I noticed you are resorting to using random free 3D models? Well if you're that desperate for modelers...I guess I can help more. Here is my design of the bullet without texturing. Note it has a lot of faces (20,000) since you don't seem to mind about them too much. If you want me to lower it though...just holler.

So does this qualify me as a part of the Xenocide Art Department? :)

Edited by Kratos

We have not used any free models, and I hope not to, I would like all models to be made by Xenocide. However I don't have a problem using free models temporarly for gameplay.

If you would like to model some stuff, clips (pistol, rifle) would be nice to have, an indiv bullet isn't really needed however one could be put on the top of a clip to make it look full. But I wouldn't mind if you tried texturing the models.

If you are serious and would like to help then we can put you through the recruitment process.

We have not used any free models, and I hope not to, I would like all models to be made by Xenocide. However I don't have a problem using free models temporarly for gameplay.

If you would like to model some stuff, clips (pistol, rifle) would be nice to have, an indiv bullet isn't really needed however one could be put on the top of a clip to make it look full. But I wouldn't mind if you tried texturing the models.

Well, you could always use the bullet for a firing effect (battlescape), like xcom's flying bullets, laser beams, plasma shots, etc. ;) I modeled a bullet because I read in one of dteviot's posts that he was looking at free models of bullet designs, hence why I designed it. In a game, I would prefer to see clips as well, especially when Xenocide is already basing everything off of X-com. I will work on this.

As for texturing, I honestly don't know where to grab free and legitimately usable textures...otherwise, I would have textured them already. And since I can't use Blender's in-built texturing (since you're not using blender), I can't, at least, AFAIK. Perhaps you can point me in the right direction for some texture libraries?

If you are serious and would like to help then we can put you through the recruitment process.

Or I could just keep making models and you guys can bump me to where I belong, in one of your active departments? :P But on a more serious note...simply putting someone in a recruitment position (especially when it's free contributions) when you are using their work is kind of rude, no offense. I know that sounds hypocritically rude, but that's just my opinion. :)

Sorry for a late question, but am I getting credit for my work? If so, where would I find such a list? :)

Well, you could always use the bullet for a firing effect (battlescape), like xcom's flying bullets, laser beams, plasma shots, etc. I modeled a bullet because I read in one of dteviot's posts that he was looking at free models of bullet designs, hence why I designed it. In a game, I would prefer to see clips as well, especially when Xenocide is already basing everything off of X-com. I will work on this.

As for texturing, I honestly don't know where to grab free and legitimately usable textures...otherwise, I would have textured them already. And since I can't use Blender's in-built texturing (since you're not using blender), I can't, at least, AFAIK. Perhaps you can point me in the right direction for some texture libraries?

Or I could just keep making models and you guys can bump me to where I belong, in one of your active departments? But on a more serious note...simply putting someone in a recruitment position (especially when it's free contributions) when you are using their work is kind of rude, no offense. I know that sounds hypocritically rude, but that's just my opinion.

Sorry for a late question, but am I getting credit for my work? If so, where would I find such a list?

The fire of a bullet in game would really just be an effect as its traveling so fast. And only the round would be fired the casing would not. It looks nice though.

I don't have a problem giving you art dept tags if you do plan on helping the art dept for a while. You have been with ufo2000 for a long time so I know your not just going to leave. However with that tag I will expect you to know our procedures and what we need/have and how were thinking it should look. Please look around in the wiki and browse the art forums.

Since I do not use blender I do not know how the built in texturing works so perhaps you can ask the blender community if theres a way to some how make a texture map out of that. For my textures all I have ever used was photoshop, and maybe some plug-ins, I am not sure what you use but there are free plug-ins to most anything that can help with textures.

The credits page is here

http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=242028248

I have not added you yet because your model is not in the game. When it is, I will put you in there, no doubt about that. I have temporary used a screenshot of your model for a place holder in the equip-screen. However if the model/texture changes I will update it with that.

Also thats mostly for the prog dept. The art departments Xenocide Art Progress.xls (In the art dept SVN) Contains a list of all models, their progress and creator. I will update this accordingly now that I have access to modify it.

Edited by Darkhomb

Ok i managed to get your model converted and to use the built in colors. however they don't have metal effects so I will try and do that later.

Looks nice, I will mark the model as complete.

Proxy.png

Edited by Darkhomb

• 11 months later...

Kratos what plugin did you use to make the bullets so smooth or was it a plugin at all?

In other news, I was wondering through the endless abyss called the internet, when i happened to run into a remake of my most favorite game of all time(X-COM.

I downloaded fast, not reading anything on the site or about it. but as i begian to play i relizing that it was incomplete I decided from that day foward to help in any way possible to finish the game I so loved.

I can easly be a concept artist but will need some work in the modeling department. :(

here are some pics of the models ive done and inprogress (Blender). will get you guys the concept art ASA I get my lazy butt up and scan them in. I have no tablet <_>

Death_Fighter_Render.jpg

X_Corp_Eagle.JPG

X_Corp_Eagle1.JPG

X_Corp_Eagle2.JPG

X_Corp_Eagle3.JPG

Edited by Zero Energy

Hi Zero Energy, and welcome to Project Xenocide!

Very nice work. I suggest you have a look at http://svn.projectxenocide.com/assets/Artwork%20Department - there you will find all models and other artwork that has been done yet.

In other news, I was wondering through the endless abyss called the internet, when i happened to run into a remake of my most favorite game of all time(X-COM) :D .

I downloaded fast, not reading anything on the site or about it ROFL. but as i begian to play i relizing that it was incomplete I decided from that day foward to help in any way possible to finish the game I so loved.

I can easly be a concept artist but will need some work in the modeling department. :(

here are some pics of the models ive done and inprogress (Blender). will get you guys the concept art ASA I get my lazy butt up and scan them in. I have no tablet <_>

Edited by Mad

Thank you Mad that info was very helpful. I think I might take a crack at the "Alien Grenade" seeing noone has done it yet.

I'll say welcome Zero Energy. Good to have you with us.

http://svn.projectxenocide.com/xenocide/xn...torySprites.png

and

http://svn.projectxenocide.com/xenocide/xn...torySprites.txt

should give you an idea of the models we still need.

• 1 year later...
Question? How long does it normally take for a recruitment application to be answered? It has nearly been a month since I've submitted my application and still no word.

Depends on who you sent it to. If it's Vaaish, it might take a while. If this is the case, please send me a PM and we'll work something out.

Depends on who you sent it to. If it's Vaaish, it might take a while. If this is the case, please send me a PM and we'll work something out.

Well I did send the application it to Vaaish and Red Knight. I hope Red Knight is more active. If you need me to I can send my portfolio to you by e-mail.

Edit - Did you ever put any work into the Alien Gernade? I would love to see it, or any other work.

As a matter of fact, I did do some work on the Alien Grenade. I cleaned up the files a bit and sorted them so here is what I have so far.

Alien_Grenades.zip

Thanks for posting, Looking at the XenoArt Progress I noticed the Alien Grenade was already done.

http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?sh...&hl=grenade

I didn't see this before. However, If you would like to improve on it, be my guest. But if you would like to work on another please check with http://svn.projectxenocide.com/assets/Artw...%20Progress.xls to see what is needed.

• 2 months later...
Guest Fox_1

Hi, I am just one more Fan of the old XCom.

I have some Skills in Blender 3D and have looked at the "Xenocied Art Progess.xls".

In that file Shinzon is the only activ with 50%. Is this up to date?

I am making images for "X-Force fight for Destiny"(http://xforce-online.de/) but the activity there is going down more and more.

Yesterday I installed Xenocide and tried to play it.

I have seen many items with no image and so i thougt, I could help here a little bit.

If there ist something(a specific item) I can do, to start with, please tell me.

Hi, I am just one more Fan of the old XCom.

I have some Skills in Blender 3D and have looked at the "Xenocied Art Progess.xls".

In that file Shinzon is the only activ with 50%. Is this up to date?

I am making images for "X-Force fight for Destiny"(http://xforce-online.de/) but the activity there is going down more and more.

Yesterday I installed Xenocide and tried to play it.

I have seen many items with no image and so i thougt, I could help here a little bit.

If there ist something(a specific item) I can do, to start with, please tell me.

Welcome.

You might like to have a look at http://svn.projectxenocide.com/xenocide/xn...es/EquipSoldier

InventorySprites.png needs to be finished off, InventorySprites.txt gives the instructions on what image goes where.

Guest Fox_1

Well, OK. I still kew this three files.

If you need just plain 2D Images, I cann make a lot of them.

I don't found a place where to put the models for the combat.

No one file I can import in Blender or even export.

For now I will start just with the equipment for the soldiers.

To whom I have to send my renders?

Guest Fox_1

Hi kafros,

well the .3ds files I can import.

But for the .max I could't find a way.

In X-Force we have a special section to upload files.

For a upload we just select the right file and click OK :D

Here it seems, that I need a program like FileZilla or somthing like that, is that right?

I have some sugestions for the:

Xen

P-C

R-C

PP-C

RC-H

RC-A

RC-I

I am making a few .png with transp in the 64 pixels raster(see attachments).

Oiented by the link from dteviot. Especialy the text file.

Also I tried to let them look like the old XCOM items.

I also tried to make an intire image with the equipSoldier.png, but my image progam dies every time I try to open it.

The only way I found out to manipulate this image is with GIMP.

So now I am lering how to use GIMP ...

I'm sorry for my bad english.

Pleas correct me if there is somthing extreamly wrong.

post-24235-1268249135.png

post-24235-1268249148.png

post-24235-1268249161.png

post-24235-1268249804.png

post-24235-1268249827_thumb.png

post-24235-1268249847_thumb.png

post-24235-1268249856_thumb.png

Guest Fox_1

Well tonight I finished a other Version of the RC.

This time the RC had with more "color" and seems heavier. OK... I think so...

Till know I have put everything in one single .blend file.

post-24235-1268284056_thumb.png

Nice (that was fast!).

You can attach the files on the post if you want, no need to upload them via ftp.

(By the way, whenever you have time, could you try to make a version that looks like the latest concept art?)

Guest Azrael Strife
Here it seems, that I need a program like FileZilla or somthing like that, is that right?

Back in the day when we used to be a big happy family, we had department leaders, members would send them the stuff so the leaders kept it well organised ^_^

Guest Fox_1

Hi everybody,

I made the Combat Armor.

And I also put all the new images into the "InventorySprites.png".

So, if anyone want to test it, you just need to override the old PNG-File.

Enjoy it. I am waiting for critics...

post-24235-1268420435_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Fox!, Sorry, Been very busy at work lately and don't look around too often, Thanks for adding it to the sprite. Could you post detailed renders of the combat armor. front side, etc. This will allow us to give you proper feedback.

Edit - Reminds me I need to remake the sprite to use exact lines. Clean it up a little bit.

Edited by Darkhomb

Guest Fox_1

Hi Darkhomb!

Thanks for your post, I thought that no one was whatching this part...

Soon I will post more Items here.

Well here are 2 Versions of my the Combat Armor sugestion:

post-24235-1269216122_thumb.png

post-24235-1269216157_thumb.png

/me appear

they look good as icons, but i don't think they can be used in xenocide.

the heavy cannon, looks great but looks too advanced. It was decided that "human" tech needs to look a bit more current. I don't think there is even a concept art for it yet. best if you read the CTD.

the plasma rifle, looks very similar to the original. but there lies the problem. in xenocide, the aliens are using a bit more "organic" / "grown" tech. the idea (at least previously) was that the aliens does not "hold" their guns with handles but in reverse it's the handle that "hold" their hands by fitting itself around their arms. (prevent accidental dropping of guns?) the previous head of art department decided to go with crystal like technology for the aliens and, as far as i know, had become the standard for alien tech.

edit: i like the RC and i think it could work. have you seen the VARC concept & model?

/me fades out

Edited by gu35s

Guest Fox_1

Hi everybody

/me tring to find a flashlight...

this is the second time someone writing about conseptarts. Where are they?

Can I see some drawings or something else?

I have just used the the InventorySprites.png and the text file from the Link postet in this topic.

Do we have a active/actual Roadmap?

I gave you this link in my first post (you've probably missed it :\):

http://svn.projectxenocide.com/assets/Artwork%20Department/

That's practically every art asset the project currently has.

So, take for example the Autocannon concept: http://svn.projectxenocide.com/assets/Artw.../concept%20art/

This is the only file on plasma rifles, if I'm not mistaken:

http://svn.projectxenocide.com/assets/Artw...sma%20Rifle.dxf

Browse around and check the files :)

-=-=-=-=-=-

And, practically, there's no roadmap. Whatever gets done first, with focus on the most useful/common objects of course (human weapons, alien model/textures, etc).

Guest Fox_1

@kafros

hey thanks! That is pretty cool stuff!

I have downloaded only one folder and it is a hard work to stick now erverything together...

Is there a way to get all the stuff at once?

What do I need to post my sugestions there?

http://docs.projectxenocide.com/index.php/...ortoiseSVN_tool

Check the paragraphs:

# 3 Install TortoiseSVN tool

# 5 Checkout Xenocide Artwork Department Assets Only

Practically:

- you download/install TortoiseSVN,

- you restart your PC,

- you create a folder,

- you right-click it,

- select Checkout,

- use this url: http://svn.projectxenocide.com/assets/Artwork%20Department/

and wait until you've downloaded everything :). It shouldn't be too long. The sound department assets take much more time, but you can download them also, to enjoy the music tracks ^_^.

Well, you could post any suggestions here I suppose. Or, if you like our company, you could ask stewart (and Mad?) for recruit status, so that you can freely post suggestion, comments and work in the Workshops. (It would be a more fitting environment ;) :))

Edited by kafros

Yup, we are always watching, its just we are a busy group. I don't have time to check this everyday anymore. However they are correct and saying we cannot use icons. If people want to use the inventorysprite.png you provided that is fine. In game however we have to use 3d. The inventorysprite is only 1 aspect of using the model for the equip soldier screen.

kafros, are you sure that assets folder has everything? apparently the excel file says varc already has a concept and model but i can't seem to find them in the assets.

p.s. what's .dxf file? can i open it or import it into blender and have a look?

edit: fox 1: there's a concept art section in the laboratory thread. i think just drop your suggestions there would be better to collect suggestions in one location. but as kafros said, you can pretty much drop suggestions anywhere.

Edited by gu35s

kafros, are you sure that assets folder has everything? apparently the excel file says varc already has a concept and model but i can't seem to find them in the assets.

http://svn.projectxenocide.com/assets/Artw...rps/Autocannon/

Here it is. The VARC (Variable Ammunition Repeater Cannon) is the x-corps weapon inspired by the autocannon. It has a model (.max file), a render (no textures) and the concept picture.

Every available asset SHOULD have already been uploaded uploaded on subversion. If you can't find something, then someone (probably the old art leader or the original creator) probably never uploaded it.

p.s. what's .dxf file? can i open it or import it into blender and have a look?

http://www.fileinfo.com/extension/dxf

edit: fox 1: there's a concept art section in the laboratory thread. i think just drop your suggestions there would be better to collect suggestions in one location. but as kafros said, you can pretty much drop suggestions anywhere.

You are right :)

Anything else you guys need, tell me and I'll try to help.

Edited by kafros

http://svn.projectxenocide.com/assets/Artw...rps/Autocannon/

Here it is. The VARC (Variable Ammunition Repeater Cannon) is the x-corps weapon inspired by the autocannon. It has a model (.max file), a render (no textures) and the concept picture.

i saw that. i just don't think that's a VARC. that looks very much like VAHC. I would imagined VARC with rotating barrels. i could be wrong tho.

thx

Guest Fox_1

So, I am downloading the SVN now.

This will take a time with my great internet connection :-(

@gu35s,

OK, I will check out the laboratory thread!

Actually, now that you mention it, I can't find the VAHC anywhere xD.

Nevertheless:

Repeater cannon - XNet entry

Heavy cannon - XNet entry

No-one can use a gatling gun during battle :P. In addition, X-Corps' weaponry is supposed to be realistic near-future technology, thus it's reasonable to presume that all handheld weapons will look and work more like assault rifles.

No-one can use a gatling gun during battle :P.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h71/DogByte6RER/4126432_gal.jpg

you were saying? heh. well i suppose that's a minigun but it's rotary barrel gun.

In addition, X-Corps' weaponry is supposed to be realistic near-future technology, thus it's reasonable to presume that all handheld weapons will look and work more like assault rifles.

me want rotary barrel gun in xcom. (not that i'd used it...)

i don't see why xcom cant buy paint ball miniguns and change the paint ball impact explosion or liquid hydrogen shells. i suppose you can't trade it with AP bullets but you can change it with acid shells. if not then at least hi-ex and incendiary can still be used.

Guest Fox_1

@gu35s

Ha, yeah!

And wat? you dont use a rotary barrel gun? ;-)

I checked out the Laboraties, you postet ther pretty cool stuff! Respeckt you are realy creative.

Do you still use Blender?

i just recently picked it up again, and i sucked. i don't remember a lot of the shortcuts and what do the stuff i used to just breathe. tho i still can't texture.

• 1 year later...