Jump to content


Photo

Stun Cannon/ Stun Hwp


  • Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 mikker

mikker

    Artwork Department

  • Xenocide Artwork Department
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 08:06 AM

Stun launcher is the only alien weapon that does NOT have an overscaled version attached to the planes. Having this might change the thing about only having 2 identical weapons on the craft....

facts abouth the stun cannon:

cons:

-quite slow and semi-easy to dodge.
-doesn't do any damage to the UFO.
-limited ammo (10-20),
-ammo needed to be manifactured.

pros:

-UFO can't fire its cannons or run away untill after 2-3 seconds when hit.
-Other weapons have 100% chance of hitting, untill after 2-3 seconds when hit.
-both cannon and ammo is cheap and fast to manifacture and research.
-UFO goes down with its engines intact if downed after 2-3 seconds when hit.

As for the tank, its quite the same as the launcher. It just got higher stun damage, and bigger blast radius. Ammo need to be manifactured.

Edited by mikker, 19 April 2004 - 08:08 AM.

Some people say that dreams are a portal to the subconscious. If that is so, I am a very disturbed person.

the truth about scientology

#2 mikker

mikker

    Artwork Department

  • Xenocide Artwork Department
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 13 May 2004 - 04:52 AM

i've had this topic in almost a month now, and still no reply?

Some people say that dreams are a portal to the subconscious. If that is so, I am a very disturbed person.

the truth about scientology

#3 dipstick

dipstick

    Colonel

  • [Global Moderators]
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,011 posts

Posted 15 May 2004 - 07:06 AM

Sounds good to me, but how is a weapon going to stun an UFO? just a thought.
Posted Image

#4 Cpl. Facehugger

Cpl. Facehugger

    Creative Text Department

  • Xenocide Inactive
  • 3,749 posts

Posted 15 May 2004 - 08:24 AM

Hmm... The ufos are linked directly up to the pilots. So, if we could disorient/stun the pilots, the the craft will be stunned.

Hmm, I'd rather that the weapon had like a 25% chance of stunning the ufo and taking it down with engines intact, but a 75% chance of doing nothing at all. And give the launcher a small magazine capacity, like one or two.
I'm only partially inactive. :P I can still be reached at cpl.facehugger@gmail.com, and via PM. Preferably the former.

*Coming back? Avast! Facehugger, finish your assignments!*

Posted Image

#5 mikker

mikker

    Artwork Department

  • Xenocide Artwork Department
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 06:40 AM

Hmm... The ufos are linked directly up to the pilots. So, if we could disorient/stun the pilots, the the craft will be stunned.

Hmm, I'd rather that the weapon had like a 25% chance of stunning the ufo and taking it down with engines intact, but a 75% chance of doing nothing at all. And give the launcher a small magazine capacity, like one or two.

hmmm...yeah. And very limited range (think the smallest misile).

Some people say that dreams are a portal to the subconscious. If that is so, I am a very disturbed person.

the truth about scientology

#6 Moriarty

Moriarty

    Xnet Proof Task Force

  • Xenocide Inactive
  • 533 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 12:24 PM

perhaps the stun tank could be a missile tank loaded with special stun missiles?

maybe the missile tank can even carry 2 or 3 ammo types? i always liked the missile launchers (even more in apocalypse) for their ability to load different types of ammo. set fire to this, blow that up, create a smoke screen there...
I doubt, therefore I might be.

Posted Image,the sneaky little bastard.

#7 Cpl. Facehugger

Cpl. Facehugger

    Creative Text Department

  • Xenocide Inactive
  • 3,749 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 12:47 PM

Launch anti-alien nerve gas over here...

But I figure the tank would need an entirely different turret. After all, you couldn't load stun bombs into a blaster launcher or rocket launcher...
I'm only partially inactive. :P I can still be reached at cpl.facehugger@gmail.com, and via PM. Preferably the former.

*Coming back? Avast! Facehugger, finish your assignments!*

Posted Image

#8 Moriarty

Moriarty

    Xnet Proof Task Force

  • Xenocide Inactive
  • 533 posts

Posted 26 June 2004 - 04:17 AM

:huh: why not?

the payload of a projectile is somewhat independent of the shape and propulsion system... take a normal missile, scratch out the high explosive, pump in some high-pressure stun gas, seal the warhead (wrap it with duct tape if you like :) ) and you're done.

well, something like that, at least. so what I'm saying is that you wouldn't need a different type of turret, just a different type of ammo.

Edited by Moriarty, 26 June 2004 - 04:23 AM.

I doubt, therefore I might be.

Posted Image,the sneaky little bastard.

#9 Guest_KillZone_*

Guest_KillZone_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2004 - 08:27 AM

Well in missles it might be....

Yeh stun tank sounds cool....the game needs better ways of grabbing Sticktoids without having to research alien weapons or use a pointed stick...

#10 LocoJay

LocoJay

    Rookie

  • Forum Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 01:47 AM

I think having a stun feature on a craft would be sweet... Stun the UFO and have the Engine intact.....

most all the time i land at crash site the engine is destroyed :explode:

:happybanana:

#11 dipstick

dipstick

    Colonel

  • [Global Moderators]
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,011 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 06:53 AM

Instead of a stun missile for interceptor weapons, how about a localised EMP blast missile? Could also enable capture of Cyberdiscs. :happybanana:
Posted Image

#12 Moriarty

Moriarty

    Xnet Proof Task Force

  • Xenocide Inactive
  • 533 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 07:32 AM

hmm, that would be really nice. but then, you need a captured cyberdisc exactly once. unless we would allow the player to dismantle the cyberdisc and perhaps gain some alien alloys, some elerium and perhaps a large plasma gun in the process.

but this raises another issue: what exactly is the stun weapon principle?
as I see it, there are many ways to stun a living organism, including
electric shock (I believe this is used by the hand-to-hand stun weapon)
low temperature (freeze grenades, perhaps?)
neurotoxic gas (the logical thing in stun launchers, stun missiles etc.)
blunt damage (knockout, the classical way)
psionic attacks (in science fiction. I believe this is being discussed somewhere
in "additional uses of psi" or something)


and then gas is quite ineffective against mechanical things like cyberdiscs. so there we would have

emp (electro-magnetic pulse)
low temperature (might also work)
electric shock (applied to the right spot, of course)
blunt damage (applied to the right spot)
psionic attacks (in psi-controlled mechanical things - which they all are, afaik)


so, what exactly do those stun grenade launchers use? or did I miss something? because in the xcom games, stun grenades were effective against cyberdisks and sectopods. just how did they do that? does anyone remember?
I doubt, therefore I might be.

Posted Image,the sneaky little bastard.

#13 Guest_KillZone_*

Guest_KillZone_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2004 - 07:48 AM

They were just Stun Bombs...you never got an explaination...maybe they came with a small EMP...that explains why Power Armour is affected to...

Ohhh an I think there should be some kind of net weapon...like ancient roman gladiatiors, throw a net over it (Obviously with some kind of eletrical current to calm the thing down) Then move in with a load of guys an jab it with cattle sticks

Plus can I have a LiquidNitrogen flamethrower type weapon? Thatd be really...cool...

#14 Puasonen

Puasonen

    Creative Text Department

  • Xenocide Inactive
  • 2,911 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 08:00 AM

Plus can I have a LiquidNitrogen flamethrower type weapon? Thatd be really...cool...

It has been talked about but it would be very hard to add in a turn based game. And it would suck because of low range and because fire in ufo games isn't that effective :huh:
There's no need for a sig..

#15 Moriarty

Moriarty

    Xnet Proof Task Force

  • Xenocide Inactive
  • 533 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 11:46 AM

because fire in ufo games isn't that effective


:naughty: then perhaps the effectiveness of fire is something that needs to be changed? :naughty:

I like flamethrowers too. Plus I think that they are among the most logical and common weapons when dealing with alien organisms... just think about the first minutes of MIB: Nothing better than flamethrowers for cover-up missions :devillaugh:

but seriously: If I was the commander of an organization that is supposed to protect earth from alien beings, one of the things I would be concerned about is alien microorganisms and diseases. flamethrowers would be standard for all my troops. good in night combat, too. and I believe even spawns might not be tough enough to take the heat of napalm... they would just be cooked inside their chitinous armour plating and turn all red on the outside. think lobster :beer:
I doubt, therefore I might be.

Posted Image,the sneaky little bastard.

#16 Guest_KillZone_*

Guest_KillZone_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2004 - 12:10 PM

Its LiquidNitrogen not fire....an instant QuickFreeze for catching robots or things you dont want to touch...

Plus when it comes to firing, its like "Short Burst 20% TUs" and "Long Burst 40% TUs" plus it would in theory be 100% accurate...

Course now Ive had this idea Im filling in all the blanks...