XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Heavy Laser

Hayashi

I used to diss the heavy laser - heavy, large amount of time needed to fire it, not as good as the heavy plasma.

Then I did a crash site investigation of a downed terror ship crewed by ethereals and sectopods.

The first time through, I got creamed. On a re-try, aremed with better tactics & advice, I was successful.

I immediately manufactured a few heavy lasers post-haste. Then on another terror ship recovery, the heavy lasers came in useful when dealing with the sectopods.

So now they have a specific place in my inventory.

I find them useful for what you've described too. Because of the mixed nature of what might work best in any given game scenario, I almost always have a mixed loadout to match.

I'm usually near even between human firearms and alien, with maybe one less laser weapon on the training crewed ships.

So typically I go with a 14 man/3 tank setup with an Avenger. Not including grenades and other explosives or tools for the moment...

4 Laser Rifles

2 Laser Pistols

2 Heavy Laser Rifles

2 Heavy Plasma Rifles

2 Plasma Rifles

2 Plasma Pistols

1 Blaster Launcher w/4 bombs

1 Small Launcher w/5 stun bombs

Usually in this kind of arrangement, since its not about training anyone so much as killing stuff when and where I see it, the Plasma Pistols and Laser Pistols usually wind up being the last two guys' back up weapon (the blaster and stun launcher dude) with spares leftover going to the best vets at the time - So my leader might have a laser rifle standard but also gets to swap in a plasma pistol for instance.

This kind of loadout likewise doesn't change for me all that much later on when Psi dominates the play since by then as well, I can use just about anything dropped by the enemy - hence the focus on more laser weapons here.

My training loadout differs slightly, though I still have '2 pair O plasmas' as in the first loadout. Again, 2 of each variant normally with that, but now I've brought in rifles to help train some troops as well.

2 Laser Rifles

6 Laser Pistols (I ususually train 6 men at a time to raise their accuracy and reactions)

6 Rifles w/6 clips (these get left for the enemy to use on me once I've Psi wrangled 'em)*

1 Heavy Laser (I still use 'em baby!)

2 Heavy Plasma Rifles

2 Plasma Rifles

2 Plasma Pistols

1 Blaster Launcher w/4 bombs

1 Small Launcher w/5 bombs

*- I hear it might be better to give both the trainees and the enemy regular pistols instead (faster autoshot weapon or whatever - which could maximize reaction results?) but this usually means bringing along twice the number or so of pistol clips. I've found that a single 20 ammo rifle clip to last the duration of an entire training session with the rifle probably only getting used on you a couple times before you get the alien.

Again, probably more weapons than I ought to bring with me standard since I can by this point use found stuff on the ground. I still have a heavy weapons/artillery squad however. The rookiees being trained only have the laser pistols on them firearms-wise, but again if I need to, they can pick up and use alien stuff along the way.

Any other weapons go to my vets who backup the rookiees who first scout out the aliens who then get psi'd. Usually my tanks do much of their work for them though.

Note the Heavy Laser is in both types of ship loadout. I've realized what their potential can be, yet because they lack an auto shot, to use them means it tends to go in the hands of a vet with good accuracy with it as I use it in a sniper role (and usually at the back of any recon going on). My basic rule of thumb on it though is always bring at least 1 regardless of how you have everyone else armed.

Edited by Snakeman

The heavy laser used to be an awesome weapon. It had great stats and enough disadvantages to not make it superior to heavy plasma rifle.

http://www.xcomufo.com/x1ufopaedia/pics/big/shot0026.png

However it was toned down later on as it was more powerful then a heavy plasma, not to mention unlimited ammo as well as killing sectopods amazingly quick, the only real drawback was its lack of autoshot so it was best suited to snipers. However I think XCOM-Util makes the laser more powerful.

Unless it is superhuman I just take sectopods out with blaster bombs or rockets and after NKF's amazing advice, stun bombs.

However I still keep the spare heavy laser or two in the skyranger just incase.

• 3 weeks later...
Hmm... Did they change that for the American version of the DOS game? In an all human tech game I played, I found them useful for piercing armor on tougher targets but generally preferred the laser rifles but I'm not sure if it was more powerful or not. I only play the PlayStation version now.