• This topic is locked This topic is locked
51 replies to this topic

#1 hippyjon

hippyjon

Sound Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 191 posts

Posted 23 June 2003 - 06:10 PM

okay, im starting work on this. Deimos had the idea of using the sound of a flash (from a camera) recharging as a kind of charging up noise for the laser. unfortunatley i havent got any recording equipment yet so if anyone could get a sample of it then thatd be top :)

ill try not to upload too many versions on this one ^_^
...or something

#2 Micah

Micah

Colonel

• [[Administrators]]
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 05:37 AM

Maybe a charge noise similar to Doom2's BFG9000. That was a nice charge, but a shorter one would probably suit the laser sound better.

#3 Xcen

Xcen

Sound Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 232 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 08:34 AM

Hi!

I tried to record my flash charging up but I need an environment with less noise... damn it's too hot in here and I need all kind of fans running or I think everything will burn up... I hate summer :(

I'm gettin new equipment soon, I'll try to record it then (yeah, hwat I need is conditioned air :( )
I have the strangest of faith for this project...

#4 Deimos

Deimos

Colonel

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 12:40 PM

Micah, the BFG is kind of the thing I was thinking but if you read below you'll understand what I wa trying to acheive.

Xcen, A friend of mine does some voice over work and radio advertising and he uses his computer. How he does it is he gets a thin cloth (like a cleaning cleaning cloth and places it over the mike. That kills breath sounds and stuff but keeps clarity of his voice. To muffle any outside sounds he uses a thick blanket or duvet over himself and to hear his stuff you'd think you'd think it had been recorded in a studio. Maybe that'd help with your capturing the sound?

Disclamer, I'm not going to be responsible for any ridicule you guys get from talking to your computer under a duvet. In fact I'll deny you exist :D

To the concept for the sound.

I was thingking the sound should be like noise an SLR 35mm camera flash makes. That sort of a bass poof noise as the flash goes off followed by the capacitors rechearging, that increasing pitch whistle. The increasing pitch noise it the capacitors charging.

Say four capacitor whines for the rifle, maybe timeshifting each one by a few microseconds to get the effect of multiple capacitors followed by the 'DOOF' noise of the weapon discharging. The discharge noise could well be quite bass intensive, ok not earth shaking but something that'll feel good to fire :)

For the pistol the bass should be lifted by quite a bit and the heavy laser should have a heavy bass effect to it. Maybe put extra capacitors in there maybe eight?

For the hit of the laser, the visual effect will be a very bright flash and the noise should reflect that, have you ever heard lightining close up? Apart from being incredibly scary (I'm speaking from personal experience, about 30ft away from me) the sound is really unique. I'll try to describe it as best I can. It's like the air is being split apart its an incredibly violent noise like instant ripping of paper the size of a house. Tie that into a large spark jumping a gap and you've got the sort of sound it makes. Its bloody loud too :D

In reality there wouldn't be a pause between the laser discharge and the hit but I'm thinking for the purposes fo the game the sound could be a second long. In that there's a click of the trigger (barely audible) capacitor charging, and laser discharge 'DOOF' (sorry, I like that sound ) followed by the hit noise.

We'd need two sounds for each weapon, one without the hit noise and one with as some shots won't hit anything.

#5 mikker

mikker

Artwork Department

• Xenocide Artwork Department
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 12:56 PM

for laser sounds, i like PSU! Posted Image

Some people say that dreams are a portal to the subconscious. If that is so, I am a very disturbed person.

the truth about scientology

#6 hippyjon

hippyjon

Sound Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 191 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 04:06 PM

generaly, everything you said should sound good deimos. only thing i disagree on is the pause between the shot and the hit sounds, from reading the laser/plasma thread it seems its gonna be a short lived static beam visualy so there isnt room for a second long pause between the shot and hit sounds.
i do like the idea of having two sounds though, but the hit sound should start at most 0.2 secs after (probaly less) and be a seperate event. im thinking that the panning on it (since it origionates from a different place in the battle screen) should distinguish it from the firing shot.

just out of interest, is 3d sound going to be implemented? cus thatd be cool

for laser sounds, i like PSU!

whats that?
...or something

#7 Deimos

Deimos

Colonel

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 05:09 PM

Sorry if that sounded wrong, I meant the whole sound should last at an absolute maximum a second. If anything the pause between discharge and hit should be a fraction of a second. That would have to be tweaked to fit with the visual effect. Of course having the actual laser sound and the hit sound seperate will help bigtime. :)

#8 hippyjon

hippyjon

Sound Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 191 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 05:19 PM

ok, cool. going to start work on that now. cant find a decent lightning strike either (presumably cus anything that loud would just clip all to heck). i'll use it as a guideto what it should sound like though.

oh yeh, and i will post unfinished versions since everyones comments are really helpful. as long as it doesnt get on anyones nerves :)
...or something

#9 Deimos

Deimos

Colonel

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 05:33 PM

Post away, we need to tweak it till it's right :)

#10 mikker

mikker

Artwork Department

• 2,211 posts

Posted 25 June 2003 - 03:44 AM

with PSU i mean, try saying pesu, very quickly. Sounds like a laser effect?

...Maybe its just me...

Some people say that dreams are a portal to the subconscious. If that is so, I am a very disturbed person.

#11 hippyjon

hippyjon

Sound Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 191 posts

Posted 25 June 2003 - 08:02 AM

:naughty:

Attached Files

• Attached File  Psu.zip   6.55K   56 downloads

...or something

#12 Deimos

Deimos

Colonel

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 25 June 2003 - 11:24 AM

Aaaaaaahhgggggh cheesy 80's laser sounds :whatwhat: take me away where's my straitjacket :explode:

#13 mikker

mikker

Artwork Department

• 2,211 posts

Posted 26 June 2003 - 03:26 PM

LOL yes it was that i was after! :D :D :D

maybe a bit sloooower, and it might even work?

I've tried adjusting it! i found some amazing sounds! hehe!

...but i like the music of the 80's better :rolleyes:

Attached Files

• Attached File  PSU2.zip   88.56K   46 downloads

#14 hippyjon

hippyjon

Sound Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 191 posts

Posted 26 June 2003 - 05:26 PM

sorry, we're keeping away from dodgy synth sounds here ;)

if you like that kind of thing get stomper hyperion, its a funky little freeware analoge drum synth, then you can tweak to your hearts content :)
...or something

#15 hippyjon

hippyjon

Sound Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 191 posts

Posted 26 June 2003 - 08:51 PM

not what like i was planning but hey. what dyou think? loose the bass? faster attack? start again?

Attached Files

...or something

#16 mikker

mikker

Artwork Department

• 2,211 posts

Posted 27 June 2003 - 04:43 AM

hmmm....it sounds more like something for the stun rod, like a massive energy jolt, not like something for the laser weapons...

#17 Deimos

Deimos

Colonel

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 27 June 2003 - 05:51 AM

Yeah I'd agree with mikker there. At the moment there's no way around the fact that it's a flashgun. Have you had any luck with the capacitor charging noise yet? I think if the charging whine goes in front of the initial flash sound withouth the raising pich noise after it it might be better.

I was rifling through my old cd's (I've gto too many:)) and found some zips of FX sounds. I obviously kept them as they'd come in handy one day. Anyway here's the first one. Hopefully there'll be some useful base sounds in them for use on the project.

Attached Files

• Attached File  sfx1.zip   316.53K   37 downloads

#18 Deimos

Deimos

Colonel

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 27 June 2003 - 05:52 AM

No.2

Attached Files

• Attached File  sfx2.zip   484.9K   30 downloads

#19 Deimos

Deimos

Colonel

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 27 June 2003 - 05:53 AM

No3

Attached Files

#20 Deimos

Deimos

Colonel

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 27 June 2003 - 05:55 AM

No4

Attached Files

• Attached File  sfx4.zip   480.53K   19 downloads

#21 Deimos

Deimos

Colonel

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 27 June 2003 - 05:57 AM

No.5

Attached Files

• Attached File  sfx5.zip   391.37K   20 downloads

#22 Deimos

Deimos

Colonel

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 27 June 2003 - 05:58 AM

No.6

Attached Files

• Attached File  sfx6.zip   390.2K   19 downloads

#23 Deimos

Deimos

Colonel

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 27 June 2003 - 06:00 AM

No.7

Attached Files

• Attached File  sfx7.zip   648.13K   20 downloads

#24 Deimos

Deimos

Colonel

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 27 June 2003 - 06:02 AM

Finally

Attached Files

• Attached File  sfx8.zip   398.12K   26 downloads

#25 hippyjon

hippyjon

Sound Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 191 posts

Posted 27 June 2003 - 06:12 AM

nice one deimos, i'll have a gander...

i was aiming for a energy discharge sound, seemed apropriate. oh well :D
...or something

#26 hippyjon

hippyjon

Sound Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 191 posts

Posted 27 June 2003 - 08:18 PM

i recently got dsl and have discovered the joys of playing bounce on half life against 15 people with virtualy no lag :D:D... so i'll try again with the laser sound propaly soon, honest :rolleyes:

anyway, this ones better, if its no good for the lazer im sure we could find something for it.

Attached Files

Edited by hippyjon, 28 June 2003 - 07:50 AM.

...or something

#27 Guest_Jim69_*

Guest_Jim69_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2003 - 08:32 PM

I am really crap at explaining noises, but oh well, I'll try :unsure:

I think that if the last sound posted was the second part of the sound, kinda like a release, with some kind of charging noise b4 it would sound pretty damn good.

#28 hippyjon

hippyjon

Sound Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 191 posts

Posted 27 June 2003 - 08:45 PM

yeh, weve got plans for the charging noise (see above)

i forgot to point out that this is only the firing noise.
...or something

#29 Guest_Jim69_*

Guest_Jim69_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2003 - 08:54 PM

Yeah, I did read that, but I wasn't sure if u were still goin along with it. In that case, ignore my comments, carry on, good work :D

#30 revenant4

revenant4

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 29 June 2003 - 12:15 AM

Sounds like a chain hitting a fence post (metalic)... :huh: ...maybe when I hear the whole sound (charging and firing) it will sound more like a laser...this is for the laser_take3 that is

#31 c4t

c4t

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 06 July 2003 - 04:30 PM

rev, i got that idea too. the camera charge idea is really cool. for 3 automatic it could charge once in the beginning and then fire the 3 bursts.
Rawr.

"Please, think of the kittens."

#32 hippyjon

hippyjon

Sound Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 191 posts

Posted 06 July 2003 - 05:42 PM

errr, are you sure your posting in the right thread there c4t?
...or something

#33 c4t

c4t

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 01:10 AM

just commenting on some ideas. while i was reading it i was thinking how they would do 3 round bursts. i thought it would be too slow if you charged each one, but im not sure.
Rawr.

"Please, think of the kittens."

#34 hippyjon

hippyjon

Sound Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 191 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 08:19 AM

oh right, good point then ^_^
...or something

#35 hippyjon

hippyjon

Sound Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 191 posts

Posted 15 July 2003 - 08:17 PM

sorry ive been so lazy recently, its too hot for me (:Blush: <=== me being too hot)

anyway, i thought id better get back into it so here is my latest completley new attempt at the laser firing noise

:laser:

Attached Files

...or something

#36 Kenshiro

Kenshiro

Captain

• 200 posts

Posted 15 July 2003 - 10:20 PM

Might try lowering the frequency some and maybe extended the end so it fades off more slowly. It's a little bit uncomfortable to listen to atm.

Of course, that might make it good for an alien attack sound of some sort.

#37 chrisp_21

chrisp_21

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 24 July 2003 - 12:43 AM

Hey HippyJon,

I took your laser sound and played around with it.
Try it out..

Attached Files

#38 hippyjon

hippyjon

Sound Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 191 posts

Posted 24 July 2003 - 01:45 AM

hey thats not bad, not sure about the double attack though, played with your version, see what you think...

definatly easier to listen to (than my version i mean :D)

edit: newer and better version below.

Edited by hippyjon, 14 February 2004 - 12:27 AM.

...or something

#39 chrisp_21

chrisp_21

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 26 July 2003 - 04:02 PM

Definitely better. I added the double attack because something
seemed to be missing. It ended up sounding like a blaster from
Star Wars. I couldn't decide if that was a good or bad thing..

It still doesn't seem quite right. I can't put my finger on it though.

Moving in the right direction though.

#40 Xcen

Xcen

Sound Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 232 posts

Posted 19 August 2003 - 08:37 PM

Woah late reply Deimos: we're talking about too many goddamned fans running here :) a cloth won't help though it's a good trick.

Hippyjon: I just got a camera I'm gonna try to sample sounds with that and work with it a little...
I have the strangest of faith for this project...

#41 hippyjon

hippyjon

Sound Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 191 posts

Posted 02 September 2003 - 10:03 PM

nice one xcen. if you wanna do the whole dam sound that would be fine
...or something

#42 hippyjon

hippyjon

Sound Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 191 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 08:53 PM

heh, i was a bit annoyed with not being able to get this sound right when i wrote that. sounds a bit peevish now, it wasnt meant to be.

anyway: heres take 5

Attached Files

...or something

#43 hippyjon

hippyjon

Sound Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 191 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 08:54 PM

oops, double post.

i got some kind of weird error ("mail could not be sent") so i assumed it hadnt posted.

Edited by hippyjon, 11 February 2004 - 08:56 PM.

...or something

#44 Robo Dojo 58

Robo Dojo 58

Colonel

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 12 February 2004 - 07:29 AM

Laser 5 is cool. I like the discharge-ZORTCH sound to it. It sounds like a laser rifle. I wonder, how would it sound with a light gust of wind? Like the air is getting heated by the laser? It might be a nifty thing for the heavy laser.
Posted Image Haha! I'm now the Supreme Commander of X-COM. Time to kiss Earth goodbye.

My first order of business: Homeless people make cheap rookies, and are great at opening UFO doors. Heck, they're so cheap, I'm going to replace all personel with them!
Secondly: This organisation takes too much money to run. Weapon shipments will come from Siberia from now on. Costly maintenance is to be cut on all facilities. That includes venting.
Thirdly: We have a new colonel. His name is Facehugger, he loves aliens, and I want you all to treat him with respect.
Lastly: I'll be in my condo on an undisclosed island, if you need me. Good day.

FMIX-The General Stores

#45 hippyjon

hippyjon

Sound Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 191 posts

Posted 15 February 2004 - 07:29 PM

ok, modified it for the laser cannon. i have a feeling the pistol is going to be a pain...

edit: latest versions of cannon rifle and pistol below. i also think that the attatchment was 32-bit... please feel free to shoot me if i upload 32-bit sounds, they won't play on most things. (or at least let me know)

Edited by hippyjon, 26 April 2004 - 06:30 PM.

...or something

#46 milesteg

milesteg

Squaddie

• Forum Members
  • PipPip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 April 2004 - 09:48 AM

If you need some weapon sounds maybe you should visit A1 Weapon Sound Effects. These sounds are free for non-commercial use and because Xenocide is to be a non-commercial project this means that there should be no problem with copyrights or sth like this.
A danger to the Golden Path occured when Miles Teg was able to see the NoShips.

#47 hippyjon

hippyjon

Sound Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 191 posts

Posted 26 April 2004 - 06:35 PM

alrighty, done something for the pistol, gave the rifle more bite, and normalized the cannon sound. all 3 are here.

what was next on the list...

Attached Files

...or something

#48 hippyjon

hippyjon

Sound Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 191 posts

Posted 27 April 2004 - 04:21 PM

and here they are in .ogg

only 50k rather than 250k

if you hate them please say so -_-

Attached Files

Edited by hippyjon, 27 April 2004 - 04:22 PM.

...or something

#49 Stow

Stow

Sergeant

• Xenocide Recruit
  • 37 posts

Posted 27 April 2004 - 10:04 PM

maybe we should just call them "Beam weapon" sounds...

I wasn't aware that light made noise... :hammer:

#50 Robo Dojo 58

Robo Dojo 58

Colonel

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 28 April 2004 - 05:35 AM

Big lasers make noise.
Electricity on the starting end, and everything suddenly melting on the receiving end. :)

The air itself might make some noise with really powerful lasers, but I'm not a laserologist. :rolleyes:
Posted Image Haha! I'm now the Supreme Commander of X-COM. Time to kiss Earth goodbye.

My first order of business: Homeless people make cheap rookies, and are great at opening UFO doors. Heck, they're so cheap, I'm going to replace all personel with them!
Secondly: This organisation takes too much money to run. Weapon shipments will come from Siberia from now on. Costly maintenance is to be cut on all facilities. That includes venting.
Thirdly: We have a new colonel. His name is Facehugger, he loves aliens, and I want you all to treat him with respect.
Lastly: I'll be in my condo on an undisclosed island, if you need me. Good day.

FMIX-The General Stores