XCOMUFO & Xenocide

SND - RESOURCES - Encoding Sound Formats

ATeX

highly encoded OGG files have unnoticable difference in quality for the common man. Only experts can hear it. I suggest u encode it at at least 192kbit/s VBR. Also, there's a big chance that there will be thousands of sfx files. All those files togheter take very much place. AND ... OGG is about 10 times smaller, even at a very high bitrate. I suggest the encoding of all sound and music files are in OGG

cheers,

ATeX

.ogg format is especially for music files (because of large size). For short lenght sound it is up to you what do you want to use, but it is common to use wav files for it. Remeber that this sounds will be processed in game so they should be in good quality.

Greetigs,

Beetle

Well, manipulation should always be done in wav files, but the "final product" should be ogg, mainly for the reasons ATeX mentioned above. And, as the game will automatically manipulate oggs, there will be problems for the player ^_^ (codec, stereo/surround setting etc)

Spamming:

I would transform all my mp3s into ogg, but unfortunately it would take too much time, and UNFORTUNATELY ogg isn't supported by my HDD Mp3 player, Vreative Zen Xtra. For some "*Unknown reasons*", WMA IS SUPPORTED!

Well, I "guess" that it is simple to program the device to read wmas, mp3s and wavs... Oggs are another matter... :P

Ante geia re!

• 1 month later...

Did I talk about depending on quantity??!?!?! But, in order to find QUALITY, ou have to LOOK THROUGHT THE WHOLE QUANTITY, and choose whatever fits best to your needs :D

Most of my classmates don't even know winamp, and think that "Microsoft Windows Media Player is the best software and is also cool!". But, whenever I say "WMP", they don't know what it means.... Computer illiterates :cussing: :NyaNyaNya: :D

Edited by kafros

heh, never really liked winamp. 90% of the cases, WMP totally rule it. Sorry, just my point of view ;)

well, just don't let us go arguing about tastes and colours...

some people need the very best, and try to find the very best at all times in order to use it very intensively. Other people just don't care, if it works enough for them, they're happy. And others need real professional tools. It just depends on the persons taste and their needs.

discussion without an end...

cheers!

wow wow! I'm not offending you.

D'oh! I think we have a main mis-communication problem... >_:blink2: (No offense :D :wink1:)

And indeed, that's a discussion without an end, because every guy chooses what he thinks is best for him. I prefer a bunch of freeware/open-source tools than a Microsoft multi-program, which I think is far from pro-quality :)

And actually, we are totally off-topic (due to my... tendency of changing the subject ^_^). So, back to post #8 :P

Edited by kafros

On the encoding issue... do you use (while editing) multiple (say more than stereo) channels? I mean can you take out an instrument channel in its entirely, cause if that is how you work I think you should ask submissions to be done in that way

Greetings

Red Knight

RK: I wouldn't recommend that. On a finished track I use about 20 different instruments/lines + if there's much harmony (music) in the song, it can NOT be mixed with other concepts. It's almost impossible to make it sound good and it has almost no advantages. Even the music in Aliens versus Predator (which uses a technique with interactively changing music) are complete tracks that fade between them.

Some other arguments are that it's hard to manage and it takes up to 20 times more space. Imagine a compressed 5Mb file multiplied by 20 for only one song. You get the picture? ;)

cheers,

ATeX

well, the source files made by musicians are by no means comparable to source files made by for example C++ or 3DSMax. This is because musicians don't stick to one program. I might have several hundreds of files taking 1GB of hard disk space per song. This is impossible to back up over internet. I'll need to take care of it for myself and so does every musician.

Plus, exported sound files can't be edited anymore the way they could be edited before. Compare it with a JPEG file made with Photoshop and the original PSD file.

Unless we are all going to use Reason or similar as a standard sequencer, there is really no use. And I don't think we should limit our possibilities.

What do you think?

cheers,

ATeX