XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Ufo2000 Documentation Refreshment - All Members Please Read

Blood Angel

Answering and commenting on some of your questions from your work:

Show Geoscape Demo

Why is this even here?

Testing for the geoscape.

(U.S. or British? It's "Armour" in-game)

It doesn't really matter, but you might as well spell it as it is in the game.

Fatal wounds are not implemented. Need to check.

Correct.

or avoid reaction fire at any given time is also directly related to his currently remaining time units.

I'm a little confused here. UFO2000 supports avoiding? How so?

(Does it affect melee?)

Good question. I haven't tried playing using a knife with damaged accuracy. I doubt it is affected though.

For future reference, armor costs 2 points per point of armor, and flight costs 300 points for a Floater, 250 points for an Ethereal, and 150 points for a Flying Suit. There are no other costs. (So adding up the stats, armor, flying ability, and equipment costs will always total to the cost of the unit.)

Armor doesn't really have an automatic system (detailed in the source code), and may be subject to change in the future depending on development interest, so it may not be wise to include such information. As for stats, they do have an automatic cost system. I would tell you the cost for each, but my memory doesn't serve well enough to know the details.

My Psi-Amp idea was kind of hacky, so I don't think that I'll include it in the manual. Anyway, when we do get to next stable, someone might even have "real" psi implemented. :D Maybe it should go in "Equipment." Hmm....

The section itself really shouldn't be included. It simply doesn't "exist" in the game, and for how long, nobody knows.

Need to check how this differs between internet and hotseat.

There is no difference in game play between either. They work pretty much the same.

Optionally ends the game after the specified number of turns. Need to check.

Correct. How they win may want to be elaborated though. I think it is who has the most points, but I'm unsure.

Optionally ends each turn automatically after the specified number of seconds. Need to check.

Correct.

---(quote limit error)---

"1.4.4 Advanced Functions"

Don't forget the useful left Ctrl key that calculates your selected unit's time unit usage. ;)

"To install a new weaponset, simply unpack the weaponset into the extensions directory. You should end up with a subdirectory called ?weapons-weaponsetname? inside your extensions directory. When installing a new weaponset, make sure that there are no name conflicts with other weapons. This is harder to explain than I thought...."

It will require it's own manual for creating weapon sets. I believe there already exists a few that come with the game somewhere. You may just want to not mention it, unless you can keep it brief and not too detailed.

or avoid reaction fire at any given time is also directly related to his currently remaining time units.

I'm a little confused here. UFO2000 supports avoiding? How so?

This refers to a unit with high reaction stats and lots of TU's has a better chance of not being shot at at all when entering an enemies vision range.

(Does it affect melee?)

Good question. I haven't tried playing using a knife with damaged accuracy. I doubt it is affected though.

accuracy for melee is not affected

Nice work so far on the manual, It's coming together nicely keep it up!

Thank you all very much for your comments and encouragement. :) Now, here's another update, with additions to the Main Menu (Options), Edit Squad (stats, table of stat costs), and Battlescape Advanced Functions (I just discovered that you can CHANGE the size of the Battlescape window :P ). I didn't get to the Control Panel, except for an image of it. The issue with Internet Explorer and the Table of Contents should be fixed now.

EDIT: Also, psionics is gone, and comments are now in green (for easy reading/removal).

EDIT2: Update: Control Panel and keyboard shortcuts.

manual_en_063008.zip

Edited by NinthRank

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there =)

So, you need a Russian translation, right? What for? i mean, did you want to translate that manual from Russian into English to have as 'good' manual? if that, then it's good that you've decided to write one from scratch.

Anyway, i'm from Russia and i volunteer to do any related translations when the original english version is done. And btw, if none of you know russian - that russian variant of translation was nut that boring plain manual, but rather nice guide of a newbie general :P

It didn't only contained main point, but also arranged them into some kind of essay. Yeah, that was really interesting to read =) But for today as i suppose it's not that important since the basics aren't covered yet to prettify them.

Well, i may forget checking forums and websites so, if you need my help - just email me. i'm on kraplax_!_mail.ru (replace _!_ with @).

And about those screenshots in maual - is it sane to make them? Afaik there's a work on new user interface and as far as i remember new stable version will offer new user interface (which was discussed on bugtracker) and that would require rewrite of some manual positions (very few though) and replacement of most of sshots.

Update: manual_en_070908.zip

Sections 1.4.3 and 1.4.4 are new.

Thanks, Kraplax, but we won't be making translations of this for a little while! :) Currently, I'm working more on the structure and getting an idea of the content, and I can guarantee that most, if not all, of the current manual will be reworded to some extent, so as to make it more readable.

There was some discussion a while ago about translating the old Russian manual into English, but I believe that it was considered too outdated to be worth the effort.

As for screenshots, those can be replaced at will. As long as the new interface does not require a complicated, new set of explanations, I'm not worried. :)