Photo

Shooting down UFOs (and not recovering them)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rumbit

rumbit

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 01:00 AM

How does it work when you just shoot down UFOs and leave them to rot? My favorite way to deal with unwanted UFO missions is to just shoot them down over the water. No muss, no fuss. Is there any effect for this (other than it being the inspiration for XCOM2)? Likewise, shooting down UFOs over land...sometimes I don't feel like going to assault yet another small UFO with a blown power unit, and I just leave it until it disappears. Is this bad?

#2 NKF

NKF

Commander

• [Global Moderators]
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,798 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 04:41 AM

You do get points when shooting down UFOs (which is doubled if the UFO gets destroyed), and there is no effect from leaving UFO crash sites alone.

You obviously don't get as much as you would from recovering the UFO, but you certainly can certainly skip UFOs that are of little immediate value or the ones that may be too hard (such as Ethereals prior to getting the Psi lab).

- NKF
Lord High Generalissimo Ruler Supreme of Norm's Anti Pedant Society (NAPS).

Number of members: 1

#3 Zombie

Zombie

Colonel

• Xenocide Creative-Text Departmen
  • 2,947 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 11:27 AM

Just to specify, a UFO shot down over water is considered shot down, not destroyed. So it doesn't really matter where you shoot a UFO down - the points are the same. Of course, if you don't like crash sites littering the landscape, then by all means drown 'em. But there isn't a benefit to do so otherwise. ;)

- Zombie
The Mr. Grognard of X-COM

Zombie: Empirical data's your only man, when formulating a research plan.
A soldier's death is never in vain if it makes the formula more plain.
A few dozen make a better case for refining that third decimal place.
They call me Zombie because I don't sleep, as I slowly struggle to climb this heap,
of corpses, data points, and trials, but from the top - I'll see for miles!

#4 rumbit

rumbit

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 08:41 PM

Ah, ok. I had always assumed, from somewhere, that it was good to shoot down UFOs over your sponsors' territory. Maybe that was in an earlier version of the game, or one of my friends told me.

This kind of becomes a problem sometimes, as I suspect that I like playing the Geoscape game better than the Tactical game. If I don't go and collect UFOs constantly, I'll run out of cash or E115. It's just such a fuss to pile everyone out of the Skyranger again. And if you put off missions, they get easier because you have the extra time to research better tech. I was having a 75% loss rate on just about every mission before I remembered which way to research to get body armor.

#5 Zombie

Zombie

Colonel

• Xenocide Creative-Text Departmen
  • 2,947 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 08:57 PM

Ah, ok. I had always assumed, from somewhere, that it was good to shoot down UFOs over your sponsors' territory. Maybe that was in an earlier version of the game, or one of my friends told me.

You are correct about shooting UFOs down over a sponsoring country as points will be added to that countries variable. The same number of points are put into the "collective pot" so to speak, but it takes about twice as many general points to equal one sponsoring country point. As long as the number of points is in the positives (from either source) you'll still see the same random 20% increase from the month before so it's not such a big deal. It's only a difference when the country is teetering on the edge. ;)

This kind of becomes a problem sometimes, as I suspect that I like playing the Geoscape game better than the Tactical game. If I don't go and collect UFOs constantly, I'll run out of cash or E115. It's just such a fuss to pile everyone out of the Skyranger again. And if you put off missions, they get easier because you have the extra time to research better tech. I was having a 75% loss rate on just about every mission before I remembered which way to research to get body armor.

At least you admit it. I have always had a felling that a good chunk of players just didn't like running missions. (I'm the opposite by the way, I prefer the Battlescape over the Geoscape but not by much). The two go hand-in-hand, but you can still get through the game by focusing on only one aspect. Armor is dead easy to get. Alien Alloys --> Personal Armor + Elerium-115 + UFO Power Source --> Power Suit + UFO Navigation --> Flying Suit. Any kind of armor is better than the jumpsuits soldiers initially get, but Power Suits are the most cost-effective for the majority of your troops. :)

- Zombie
The Mr. Grognard of X-COM

Zombie: Empirical data's your only man, when formulating a research plan.
A soldier's death is never in vain if it makes the formula more plain.
A few dozen make a better case for refining that third decimal place.
They call me Zombie because I don't sleep, as I slowly struggle to climb this heap,
of corpses, data points, and trials, but from the top - I'll see for miles!