XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Ctd- Artopod Autopsy

So here is a first draft, hope it's to your liking, and hoping for respons.

------

The Artopod is a walking weapons platform. With its accurate duel plasma canons, the Artopod is a threat not only to our tactical operatives. A direct hit would easily damage if not destroy a HWP, even the later ones developed by use of alien technology. The Artopod is armoured with layers of alien alloys and ionized matter. This combination provides excellent protection against attacks from most attacks including projectiles, high explosives and incendiary. The armour’s ability to withstand plasma however is extraordinary. Most of the project members believe that the armour is designed specifically with this in mind. Testing however, proved the rumour circulation the operatives to be true; the armour is less effective in withstanding laser attacks.

The Artopod stands #feet/meters tall, and seems robotic in nature. The core contains a miniature xenium reactor, significant amounts of organic matter and an elaborate chassis. The core also contains a damaged explosive charge, which most likely was to be used for the purpose of self destruction. The Artopods main sensory equipment seems to be the five “eyes” positioned on the front of the core. The four “small eyes” seems to deal with specific parts of the electromagnetic spectrum, including parts of infrared, ultraviolet, x-rays, microwaves and visible light. The “large eye” responded generally to large portions of the electromagnetic spectrum, including parts of gamma radiation. Supporting the core are three legs, and each contain four joints. These joints are powered by a complex form of hydraulics.

Seemingly robotic in nature, the project team was surprised to find that all parts of the Artopod contain organic matter, mainly in the core. The Artopod seems to use the organic nervous system in place of electronics. Whether the being is sentient, or controlled by a complex AI, based on genetics, is impossible to tell. The project members however, failed to locate any form of “brain.” Data gathered by operatives in the field however, suggests that the Artopod is being controlled by the {scientific name of the Cloak.} And this telepathic control seems the obvious reason, for the need of organic material in the Artopod.

Between the layers of alien alloys that make up the armour of the Artopod, we found a multitude of isolated and highly ionized matter, both of negative and positive charge. Testing revealed that when hit by plasma, the non-conducting matter that isolates the ionized matter where evaporated. This results in a significant stream of protons and electrons. That in turn induces magnetic fields. At first, these fields where crated in random directions. Therefore they virtually neutralized themselves. But when introducing a large homogeneous electric field, the stream of ions becomes more systemized, and therefore inducing a stronger magnetic field. This magnetic field proved to be quite effective at repelling plasma, and reducing further damage to the armour. It is unclear how the Artopod controls the stream of ions, as there is no clear explanation to how it is able to create an electric field of the magnitude needed. Laser however, seem to combust the non-conducting matter that isolates the ionized matter, leaving the Artopod vulnerable to laser attacks.

-----

Now respond. thanks.

Qonfused

CTD_Artopod_Autopsy_rtf_firstdraft.rtf

Edited by Qonfused

So here is a first draft, hope it's to your liking, and hoping for respons.

------

The Artopod is a walking weapons platform. With its accurate duel plasma canons, the Artopod is a threat not only to our tactical operatives. A direct hit would easily damage if not destroy a HWP, even the later ones developed by use of alien technology. The Artopod is armoured with layers of alien alloys and ionized matter. This combination provides excellent protection against attacks from most attacks including projectiles, high explosives and incendiary. The armour’s ability to withstand plasma however is extraordinary. Most of the project members believe that the armour is designed specifically with this in mind. Testing however, proved the rumour circulation the operatives to be true; the armour is less effective in withstanding laser attacks.

The Artopod stands #feet/meters tall, and seems robotic in nature. The core contains a miniature xenium reactor, significant amounts of organic matter and an elaborate chassis. The core also contains a damaged explosive charge, which most likely was to be used for the purpose of self destruction. The Artopods main sensory equipment seems to be the five “eyes” positioned on the front of the core. The four “small eyes” seems to deal with specific parts of the electromagnetic spectrum, including parts of infrared, ultraviolet, x-rays, microwaves and visible light. The “large eye” responded generally to large portions of the electromagnetic spectrum, including parts of gamma radiation. Supporting the core are three legs, and each contain four joints. These joints are powered by a complex form of hydraulics.

Seemingly robotic in nature, the project team was surprised to find that all parts of the Artopod contain organic matter, mainly in the core. The Artopod seems to use the organic nervous system in place of electronics. Whether the being is sentient, or controlled by a complex AI, based on genetics, is impossible to tell. The project members however, failed to locate any form of “brain.” Data gathered by operatives in the field however, suggests that the Artopod is being controlled by the {scientific name of the Cloak.} And this telepathic control seems the obvious reason, for the need of organic material in the Artopod.

Between the layers of alien alloys that make up the armour of the Artopod, we found a multitude of isolated and highly ionized matter, both of negative and positive charge. Testing revealed that when hit by plasma, the non-conducting matter that isolates the ionized matter where evaporated. This results in a significant stream of protons and electrons. That in turn induces magnetic fields. At first, these fields where crated in random directions. Therefore they virtually neutralized themselves. But when introducing a large homogeneous electric field, the stream of ions becomes more systemized, and therefore inducing a stronger magnetic field. This magnetic field proved to be quite effective at repelling plasma, and reducing further damage to the armour. It is unclear how the Artopod controls the stream of ions, as there is no clear explanation to how it is able to create an electric field of the magnitude needed. Laser however, seem to combust the non-conducting matter that isolates the ionized matter, leaving the Artopod vulnerable to laser attacks.

-----

Now respond. thanks.

Qonfused

Very good but I feel as if the highlighted (orange) is out of place. You could move it to the paragraph on how the armor functions and it would make a bit more sense. And this post will probably be move into it's own topic area. ^_^

The Artopod is a walking weapons platform. With its accurate dual plasma canons, the Artopod is a threat not only to the civilian population, but to our tactical operatives as well. A direct hit by these robotic walkers would easily damage if not destroy a XCAPS.

The last sentence would sound better if rephrased. As a suggestion: “Its cannons are powerful enough to severely damage, if not destroy, one of our XCAPS, being a heavier and more destructive version of those wielded by the Alien troopers”

The Artopod is armoured with layers of alien alloys and ionized matter. This combination provides excellent protection against attacks from most attacks including projectiles, high explosives and incendiary. The armour’s ability to withstand plasma however is extraordinary. Most of the project members believe that the armour is designed specifically with this in mind. Testing however, proved the rumour circulation the operatives to be true; the armour is less effective in withstanding laser attacks.

“…protection against attacks from most attacks…”, “attacks” is repetitive. “Testing however, proved the rumour circulation the operatives to be true…” Rephrase, does not sound good, ex: “Our scientists believe that either the armour was especially designed to be able to withstand a plasma assault with little damage or its resistance is an inherent property of the mysterious Alien Alloys, which continue to amaze us”. State how the armour resists normal ammo, I think it does normal damage, so with something like “Its designers, nevertheless, did not have in mind the possibility of the Artopod to be subject to primitive weaponry such as ours; the armour, as resistant it is to plasma, is not especially protected against AP, and can be penetrated with little problem; it is not, however, especially weak against AP” will be enough, me thinks :D

Please remark that as an artificial “creature” it is immune to psi and stun. Specify what this “ionized matter”.

The Artopod stands #feet/meters tall, and seems robotic in nature. The core contains a miniature Xenium reactor, significant amounts of organic matter and an elaborate chassis. The core also contains a damaged explosive charge, which most likely was to be used for the purpose of self destruction.

The Artopod is robotic in nature, and too obvious to mention  . More information on the core would be nice, like what is that organic matter and why is there, and why the chassis is so elaborate (or how elaborate it is).

“The core also contains a damaged explosive charge, which most likely was to be used for the purpose of self destruction.” Not good, an advanced Alien robot is not likely to have in its core a damaged explosive charge, the self-destruct mechanism is part of the defense routines, write something like it having a miniature (don’t have “miniature” be repetitive ) explosive, which breaks the Xenium reactor and makes it go boom, just be detailed (remember, it’s a scientific entry) and specific as possible. And mention that the amounts of Xenium-122 is significantly small and always destroyed when the Artopod is smashed/captured, or the player might ask where is the precious Xenium-122 he should have for defeating dozens of Artopods

The Artopods main sensory equipment seems to be the five “eyes” positioned on the front of the core. The four “small eyes” seems to deal with specific parts of the electromagnetic spectrum, including parts of infrared, ultraviolet, x-rays, microwaves and visible light. The “large eye” responded generally to large portions of the electromagnetic spectrum, including parts of gamma radiation. Supporting the core are three legs, and each contain four joints. These joints are powered by a complex form of hydraulics.

Information on the targeting systems, here that you talk about its sensors, would be nice. And be more specific on the joints, since you mention them, say something about the stability they provide to the Artopod, an advanced alien gyroscope here or there would be good, and something on the AI routines necessary for coordination of the three legs on varied surfaces (remember that the AI routines are, however, primitive, don’t make them too complex)

Seemingly robotic in nature, the project team was surprised to find that all parts of the Artopod contain organic matter, mainly in the core. The Artopod seems to use the organic nervous system in place of electronics. Whether the being is sentient, or controlled by a complex AI, based on genetics, is impossible to tell. The project members however, failed to locate any form of “brain.” Data gathered by operatives in the field however, suggests that the Artopod is being controlled by the Cloaks. And this telepathic control seems the obvious reason, for the need of organic material in the Artopod.

“Robotic in nature” is repetitive from last paragraph, and “seemingly” is wrong, it is robotic in nature. I don’t agree on having the Artopod being almost a life form, it is a robot, a robotic weapons platform as you put it, it is only a very advanced robot. The AI is not that complex, remember that it is in fact quite primitive, that’s what’s confusing the Research Division. Remove genetics from here, please, and brain and such, do not make it sentient please. The Cloaks controlling the Artopods is one of the theories, also it could be controlled from the Terror Ship, I don’t get why the telepathic control is obvious.

Very interesting explanation, couple of things; a stream of protons would mean that the atoms are split, unless they are Hydrogen positive ions, and atoms being split enters the field of Nuclear Chemistry and the whole affair of lots of energy being liberated should be analyzed if you decide to keep it that way, I’d say a stream of ions. If when hit by plasma, the non conducting matter is evaporated, then a second hit on the same spot should seriously damage the Artopod. And it’d mean that after a certain time, the protection of the Artopod would be worn off because of plasma hits and it would be unarmoured against them. Also, it would imply the need for organic matter (something like eating), which is something I don’t agree on for this robot. Remember that for things that have little explanation, we can always count on the mysterious properties of the Alien Alloys .

And, as this is the explanation of how the armour works, please make it the following paragraph to that of the armour.

I’ve separated your text in separate paragraphs; please keep this disposition as it makes it easier to read. This is going along nicely, good work :D

Edited by Azrael

Azreal:

k, thanks for the respons, il look at the phareses you found troublesome.

"Please remark that as an artificial “creature” it is immune to psi and stun. Specify what this “ionized matter”. "

i don't think this belong's in the autopsy, besides it isnt immune to psi(or Stun?), i think its just buffered from everything exept the Etherals.

"And it’d mean that after a certain time, the protection of the Artopod would be worn off because of plasma hits and it would be unarmoured against them. Also, it would imply the need for organic matter (something like eating), which is something I don’t agree on for this robot"

I don't se how. i tried to explain the armor as non-living. and if damaged, it would need replacing, it can't grow back on.

you seem to have a problem with my genetic/organic AI. i think ill tone it down and give it another chance. couse i like it. It dosn't nececerly mean it's alive though. it's AI. i think il remove the brain thing though.

there's allso a few obvius things like the “…protection against attacks from most attacks…”, and the streaming protones, that ill fix.

---

Hailfire22:

i agree with you, but im under the impresion that there should be some kind of sumery at the topp of etch CTD entry. So that the lazy gamer's don't have to read through a bunch of tecnical mumbojumbo, to get to the acctuely usefull info.

---

thanks for the respons and ill make another draft when i get the time.

\logout

Azreal:

k, thanks for the respons, il look at the phareses you found troublesome.

"Please remark that as an artificial “creature” it is immune to psi and stun. Specify what this “ionized matter”. "

i don't think this belong's in the autopsy, besides it isnt immune to psi(or Stun?), i think its just buffered from everything exept the Etherals.

"And it’d mean that after a certain time, the protection of the Artopod would be worn off because of plasma hits and it would be unarmoured against them. Also, it would imply the need for organic matter (something like eating), which is something I don’t agree on for this robot"

I don't se how. i tried to explain the armor as non-living. and if damaged, it would need replacing, it can't grow back on.

you seem to have a problem with my genetic/organic AI. i think ill tone it down and give it another chance. couse i like it. It dosn't nececerly mean it's alive though. it's AI. i think il remove the brain thing though.

there's allso a few obvius things like the “…protection against attacks from most attacks…”, and the streaming protones, that ill fix.

---

Hailfire22:

i agree with you, but im under the impresion that there should be some kind of sumery at the topp of etch CTD entry. So that the lazy gamer's don't have to read through a bunch of tecnical mumbojumbo, to get to the acctuely usefull info.

---

thanks for the respons and ill make another draft when i get the time.

\logout

My sources tell me it is immune to psi and stun :) , but I do think it belongs here, the scientists have enough time and equipment to run every test and see whether the AI or computer routines can be affected any other way than just shooting at it.

What the ionized matter is belongs to the autopsy.

If the armour needs organic matter, then the Artopod would need the corpses for restoring the armour, and I just don't like to have it that way, just an opinion, especially since the Aliens use corpses for new cloning materials (see ventriculant).

But what seems illogical (to me) is that if the armour uses the organic materials to defend itself against plasma, and that is evaporated when hit by plasma, then imagine a second hit on the exact same spot, the organic layer would already been evaporated and the armour would not have it to create the protection, got my point?

What I'm not sure already is whether the Artopod has a complex AI or a primitive one and controlled by the Cloaks, that is not a "must correct now" thing, so don't worry about it for now, I'll check (I'd have to correct my Artopod CT as well :) )

---

Hailfire22:

---

Yeah but if you remember the original ufopedia you wanted to read the whole thing. Not to mention that if they are playing Xenocide then they are into sci-fi, which fluff is a good thing (sometimes). ^_^

Also, if people think that the armor is organic then you could use my idea that I PM'ed to you. That would certainly stop this organic armor talk. :LOL:

Edited by Hailfire22

Ok, I'm going to post up my own quickly written artopod autopsy to get some more idea into the mix. I've taken some ideas here and there but most are my own. Also, is there a picture that I can use to help write this stuff?

--------------

X-NET Entry AWE34d22/84699/234P

Specimen: Artopod (inactive)

One of the most deadly weapons platforms known to man, the artopod is death on three legs. It is armed with dual plasma cannons, larger than the average alien rifle but smaller than the craft mounted plasmas and require a fair amount of power to operate.

It also has 5 "eyes", which on closer examination were discovered to be camera like devices. These devices are all assigned to different parts of the spectrum; infrared, visible light, ultraviolet, x-ray. What was strange though is that one of the eyes, the largest one, does not seem to be looking in any part of the spectrum. Currently the scientist that inspected the eye are unable to determine what its use is.

What was most interesting about the artopod was its armor. Reports from X-Corps operatives tell that the artopod is almost invulnerable to plasma blasts and is not affected much by lesser weapons. Upon examination it was discovered that the artopod sports some of the most advanced armor to date. This amazing construction is covered by millions of tiny magnetic projectors, like those seen in the alien's plasma weaponry. This gives the artopod a magnetic "shield" that can repulse most of the plasma bolt by spreading it across the shield, with little plasma bleeding through. This defense is reinforced with the alien's alloys, which give it some strength against more primitive weapons. It is interesting to note how this defensive system is geared toward plasma weapons, not the primitive weapons that the aliens would most likely come across in their conquest of systems.

Now powering all of these devices is a small reactor which uses a tiny amount of Xentium-122 and is shielded by alien alloys. This reactor is very powerful but is usually destroyed when the artopod is taken out of action, therefore the artopod is not a viable source of Xentium-122.

--------------

One of the most deadly weapons platforms known to man, the artopod is death on three legs. It is armed with dual plasma cannons, larger than the average alien rifle but smaller than the craft mounted plasmas and require a fair amount of power to operate.

I think a plasma cannon normaly would be larger that a average alien rifle, and obviusly a artopod isn't able to carry cannons mounted to ufo's. "death on three legs" this dosn't sound very scientific, maybe you could make it into fluff.

It also has 5 "eyes", which on closer examination were discovered to be camera like devices. These devices are all assigned to different parts of the spectrum; infrared, visible light, ultraviolet, x-ray. What was strange though is that one of the eyes, the largest one, does not seem to be looking in any part of the spectrum. Currently the scientist that inspected the eye are unable to determine what its use is.

"camera like devices", you could consider changing this into sensors/electromagnetic sensors. "does not seem to be looking in any part of the spectrum" this sounds funny.

What was most interesting about the artopod was its armor. Reports from X-Corps operatives tell that the artopod is almost invulnerable to plasma blasts and is not affected much by lesser weapons. Upon examination it was discovered that the artopod sports some of the most advanced armor to date. This amazing construction is covered by millions of tiny magnetic projectors, like those seen in the alien's plasma weaponry. This gives the artopod a magnetic "shield" that can repulse most of the plasma bolt by spreading it across the shield, with little plasma bleeding through. This defense is reinforced with the alien's alloys, which give it some strength against more primitive weapons. It is interesting to note how this defensive system is geared toward plasma weapons, not the primitive weapons that the aliens would most likely come across in their conquest of systems.

"lesser weapons"!, how about primitiv/conventional.

Powering all of these devices is a small reactor which uses a tiny amount of Xentium-122 and is shielded by alien alloys. This reactor is very powerful but is usually destroyed when the artopod is taken out of action, therefore the artopod is not a viable source of Xentium-122.

PS: attaced pic of Artopod.

artopod.jpg

Edited by Qonfused

2. draft.

----------

The Artopod is a walking weapons platform. With its accurate plasma canons, the Artopod is a threat not only to the civilian population, but to our tactical operatives as well. A direct hit from the Artopod would easily damage, if not destroy a XCAPS, including the prototypes constructed by alien alloys.

The Artopod is heavily armoured with layers of alien alloys and ionized matter. Testing revealed that this combination is marginally less efficient, compared to normal alien alloys, at withstanding projectiles, AP projectiles, high explosives and incendiary. The armour’s ability to withstand plasma however is extraordinary. Most of the project members believe that the armour is designed specifically with this in mind. Testing also proved the armour to be considerably less effective in

withstanding laser attacks.

The core contains a miniature xenium reactor, significant amounts of organic matter and 17 small gyroscopes integrated into the chassis. The xenium reactor contains a small override device. The Artopod would normally use this for self-destruct, but damaged caused it to malfunction.

The Artopods main sensory equipment seems to be the five “eyes” positioned on the front of the core. The four “small eyes” seems to deal with specific parts of the electromagnetic spectrum, including parts of infrared, ultraviolet, x-rays, microwaves and visible light. The “large eye” responded generally to large portions of the electromagnetic spectrum, including parts of gamma radiation. It also contains a targeting system, hitting the large eye could cause the Artopod to lose its targeting ability.

Supporting the core are three legs, and each contain four joints. These joints are powered by a complex form of hydraulics, powered by helium compressed by the xenium reactor. This system does not provide the Artopod with an abundance of stability, and is most likely the reason for gyroscopes.

As the Artopod is robotic in nature, the project team was surprised to find that all parts of the Artopod contain organic matter, mainly the core. The Artopod is however, not sentient.

It seems to use the organic nervous system in place of electronics. This supports the theories that the Artopod is being telepathically controlled, opposed to it being remotely controlled via the alien craft.

Between the layers of alien alloys that make up the armour of the Artopod, we found a multitude of isolated and highly ionized matter, both of negative and positive charge. Testing revealed that when hit by plasma, the non-conducting matter that isolates the ionized matter where evaporated. This results in a significant stream of ions. That in turn induces magnetic fields. . Laser however, seem to combust the non-conducting matter that isolates the ionized matter, leaving the Artopod vulnerable to laser attacks.

At first, these fields where crated in random directions. Therefore they virtually neutralized themselves. But when introducing a large homogeneous electric field, the stream of ions becomes more systemized, and therefore induced a stronger magnetic field. This magnetic field proved to be quite effective at repelling plasma, causing only a few layers of alien alloys to be penetrated.

Because the Artopod has multiple layers of alien alloys and ionized matter, the Artopod could be hit several times at the same point leaving the core untouched. It is unclear how the Artopod controls the stream of ions, as there is no clear explanation to how it is able to create an electric field of the magnitude needed.

------

I am thankfull for any respons.

PS: the "ionized matter" that is thats layered between the alien alloys in the armour, IS NOT ORGANIC MATTER.

i could use the word material, but "matter" is more scentific.

so the Artopod could't eat and regrow its armor since its not organic. it would need replacing.

CTD_Artopod_Autopsy_rtf_firstdraft.rtf

Edited by Qonfused

The Artopod is a walking weapons platform. With its accurate plasma cannons, the Artopod is a threat not only to the civilian population, but to our tactical operatives as well. A direct hit from the Artopod would easily damage, if not destroy a XCAPS, including the prototypes constructed by alien alloys.

I wouldn’t mention prototypes made of Alien Alloys yet, I’d just say newer prototypes, or stronger. Also, I'd call it a "An Alien walkin weapons platform".

The Artopod is heavily armoured with layers of alien alloys and ionized matter. Testing revealed that this combination is marginally less efficient, compared to normal alien alloys, at withstanding projectiles, AP projectiles, high explosives and incendiary. The armour’s ability to withstand plasma however is extraordinary. Most of the project members believe that the armour is designed specifically with this in mind. Testing also proved the armour to be considerably less effective in withstanding laser attacks.

There is a grammatical mistake there, “…less efficient, compared with normal alien alloys”, it should be “…less efficient than layers of alien alloys alone” or “just alien alloys”. X-Corps isn’t composed of project members, we are :D , call them scientists or the Research Division.

The core contains a miniature Xenium reactor, significant amounts of organic matter and 17 small gyroscopes integrated into the chassis. The Xenium reactor contains a small override device. The Artopod would normally use this for self-destruct, but damaged caused it to malfunction.

Syntax error (not the member :P) if you are talking about the core, you cannot just jump to chassis, put a stop there

Rephrase the last two sentences, they do not sound good. Ex: “A small emergency system was found within the Xenium reactor, should the Artopod suffer enough damage, the failsafe activates and triggers an explosive within the reactor, causing a powerful explosion which results both in the destruction of the Artopod and the death of any nearby operatives.”

Aren’t 17 gyroscopes a little too much?, I’d stay with a couple of very advanced Alien ones.

The Artopods main sensory equipment seems to be the five “eyes” positioned on the front of the core. The four “small eyes” seems to deal with specific parts of the electromagnetic spectrum, including parts of infrared, ultraviolet, x-rays, microwaves and visible light. The “large eye” responded generally to large portions of the electromagnetic spectrum, including parts of gamma radiation. It also contains a targeting system, hitting the large eye could cause the Artopod to lose its targeting ability.

Supporting the core are three legs, and each contain four joints. These joints are powered by a complex form of hydraulics, powered by helium compressed by the Xenium reactor. This system does not provide the Artopod with an abundance of stability, and is most likely the reason for gyroscopes.

” powered by helium compressed by the xenium reactor” rephrase, ex: “…powered by helium, which is compressed in the Xenium reactor”, but I consider that a Xenium reactor must be incharged only of the Xenium.

As the Artopod is robotic in nature, the project team was surprised to find that all parts of the Artopod contain organic matter, mainly the core. The Artopod is however, not sentient.

Not “project team”, Research Division, a specific department (within the RD), the scientists or something like that.

It seems to use the organic nervous system in place of electronics. This supports the theories that the Artopod is being telepathically controlled, opposed to it being remotely controlled via the alien craft.

Between the layers of Alien Alloys that make up the armour of the Artopod, we found a multitude of isolated and highly ionized matter, both of negative and positive charge. Testing revealed that when hit by plasma, the non-conducting matter that isolates the ionized matter where evaporated. This results in a significant stream of ions. That in turn induces magnetic fields. Laser however, seem to combust the non-conducting matter that isolates the ionized matter, leaving the Artopod vulnerable to laser attacks.

At first, these fields are created in random directions. Therefore they virtually neutralize themselves. But when introducing a large homogeneous electric field, the stream of ions becomes more systemized, and therefore induced a stronger magnetic field. This magnetic field proved to be quite effective at repelling plasma, causing only a few layers of Alien Alloys to be penetrated.

Fixed it into present simple, first and second sentence.

Because the Artopod has multiple layers of Alien Alloys and ionized matter, the Artopod could be hit several times at the same point leaving the core untouched. It is unclear how the Artopod controls the stream of ions, as there is no clear explanation to how it is able to create an electric field of the magnitude needed.

Possible contradiction with previous paragraph, you have already stated that it was an electric field which organised the ions, it is not hard to imagine how the artopod controls it, just changing the vectorial direction of propagation of the field. Also, it does not take an electric field of great energy to control a stream of ions

Edited by Azrael

One of the most deadly weapons platforms known to man, the artopod is the most deadliest machine on three legs. It is armed with dual plasma cannons which require a fair amount of power to operate.

It also has 5 "eyes", which on closer examination were discovered to be electromagnetic sensors. These devices are all assigned to different parts of the spectrum; infrared, visible light, ultraviolet, x-ray. What was strange though is that one of the eyes, the largest one, does not seem to be looking in any part of the known spectrum. Currently the scientist that inspected the eye are unable to determine what its use is.

Note: I have the large eye looking for brainwaves. I have no idea how to detect brainwaves (psy) from a distance and the scientist might not either. Give any ideas on how to fix this. Of course if it's not going to be able to do that then I'll take that part out. ^_^

What was most interesting about the artopod was its armor. Reports from X-Corps operatives tell that the artopod is almost invulnerable to plasma blasts and is not affected much by most forms of conventional weaponry. Upon examination it was discovered that the artopod sports some of the most advanced armor to date. This amazing construction is covered by millions of tiny magnetic projectors, like those seen in the alien's plasma weaponry. This gives the artopod a magnetic "shield" that can repulse most of the plasma bolt by spreading it across the shield, with little plasma bleeding through. This defense is reinforced with the alien's alloys, which give it some strength against more primitive weapons. It is interesting to note how this defensive system is geared toward plasma weapons, not the more primitive weapons that the aliens would most likely come across in their conquest of systems. Also, test have determined that the artopod's armor is surprisingly vulnerable to lasers, which are not affected by the shield so only have to penetrate the outer materials of the artopod.

Powering all of these devices is a small reactor which uses a tiny amount of Xentium-122 and is shielded by alien alloys. This reactor is very powerful but is usually destroyed when the artopod is taken out of action, therefore the artopod is not a viable source of Xentium-122.

---

Revised edition. Make any comments, suggestions, and fixes.

Revised_Artopod_autopsy.rtf

Edited by Hailfire22

I'm very confused now, why are the two of you writing different versions of the same CT at the same time?

edit, attached Artopod Art concept.

post-2263-1098403835_thumb.jpg

Edited by Azrael

I'm very confused now, why are the two of you writing different versions of the same CT at the same time?

Number one, that image is a lot better than the other one I was using to base my CT. Second, I have no idea. Qonfused and I need to blend our CT's together and make one, big, nice CT. How about it Qonfused, wanna take one part (weapons, armor, reactor, etc.) and let me take care of another or what? PM me and we'll sort this mess out, ok?

Bah, I think both of 'em rock. Very creative! Erm, back to the task at hand.

Perhaps a bit of a "preamble" wouldn't hurt?

"Though well-known for their prowess in turning simple mechanical designs into effective devices of war, the alien invaders have yet to produce a mechanized tool as frightening as the war machine X-Corps researchers have dubbed the "Artopod." A robotic creature elaborately twisted into a menacing spider-like frame, this frontline weapon is routinely employed by its Cloak designers as a heavy personnel-suppression unit, primarily used for roles in active terrorism or the defense of vital alien installations. Judging from its sheer capability for destruction, it's not hard to wonder why.

On its staggeringly immense, arachnid-based support system, the Artopod maintains a highly defensive posture, though its hydraulic propulsion systems grant this powerful, nearly indestructable beast respectable movement speed, even in close quarters. Capable of operating in fairly tight spaces without much trouble, the Artopod's long, stable legs allow it to turn on a dime in a moment's notice, and its dual plasma guns easily any shred any opposition unlucky enough to get too close. Its thick, [alloy]-reinforced armor can withstand massive damage without much trouble, and, shockingly enough, seems to be engineered to protect against plasma bombardment. Scientists are concerned that this factor alone may indeed mean that the Artopod is actually a fairly recent alien technological application, built to protect against the possibility their earth-based enemies could adopt their own technology. In detailed structural analyses, researchers have determined that concussive explosive damage is also averted using a crystalline dermal refraction system webbed like spidersilk beneath the thick armor plating. Needless to say, ballistic weapons don't stand much of a chance of damaging the powerful, sturdy frame of the Artopod.

However, it seems this crystal layer happens work both ways, playing a role as its seemingly singular weakness as well as its greatest strength. Fortunately enough for us, concentrated energy beams such as standard lasers can possibly sear right through the complex network of crystal as the intense energy is refracted along the unit's "nervous" system, potentially causing serious internal havoc. In essence, it appears that a laser weapon with enough punch could stand up to the frightening bulk of the spiderlike Artopod--this weakness appears to be the only thing not considered by those who devised it. It's recommended to bring along some kind of specialized deterrent when these technological nightmares are a potential factor in the field--just one of these monstrosities can be enough to pose a significant threat to an unprepared X-Corps unit."

Shoddily written, yes, but I thought I might contribute with something. If it's not too much trouble, I'd like somebody to shape up the above a bit into something servicable and suitable for the CTD in general. Thanks.

It's coming along quite nicely, guys--keep up the great work!

3. draft

------

The Artopod is an Alien walking weapons platform. With its accurate plasma cannons, the Artopod is a threat not only to the civilian population, but to our tactical operatives as well. A direct hit from the Artopod would easily damage, if not destroy a XCAPS.

The Artopod is heavily armoured with layers of alien alloys and ionized matter. Testing revealed that this combination is marginally less efficient than Alien Alloys, at withstanding projectiles, AP projectiles, high explosives and incendiary. The armour’s ability to withstand plasma however is extraordinary. Most of the autopsy division believe that the armour is designed specifically with this in mind. Testing also proved the armour to be considerably less effective in withstanding laser attacks.

The core contains significant amounts of organic matter, two gyroscopes integrated into the chassis and a miniature Xenium reactor. A small emergency system was found within the Xenium reactor, should the Artopod suffer enough damage, the failsafe activates and trigger an explosive within the reactor. The breach of the reactor results in a powerful explosion, resulting in the destruction of the Artopod and possible the death of any nearby operatives. Fortunately this system malfunctioned, allowing its autopsy.

Supporting the core are three legs, and each contain four joints. These joints are powered by a complex form of hydraulics, powered by helium, which is compressed by the Xenium reactor. This system does not provide the Artopod with an abundance of stability, and is most likely the reason for gyroscopes.

As the Artopod is robotic in nature, the autopsy team was surprised to find that all parts of the Artopod contain organic matter, mainly the core. The Artopod is however, not sentient. It seems to use the organic nervous system in place of electronics. This supports the theories that the Artopod is being telepathically controlled, opposed to it being remotely controlled via the alien craft.

Between the layers of Alien Alloys that make up the armour of the Artopod, we found a multitude of isolated and highly ionized matter, both of negative and positive charge. Testing revealed that when hit by plasma, the non-conducting matter that isolates the ionized matter where evaporated. This results in a significant stream of ions. That in turn induces magnetic fields. . Laser however, seem to combust the non-conducting matter that isolates the ionized matter, leaving the Artopod vulnerable to laser attacks.

At first, these fields where crated in random directions. Therefore they virtually neutralized themselves. But when introducing a homogeneous electric field, the stream of ions becomes more systemized, and therefore induced a stronger magnetic field. This magnetic field proved to be quite effective at repelling plasma, causing only a few layers of alien alloys to be penetrated. Because the Artopod has multiple layers of Alien Alloys and ionized matter, the Artopod could be hit several times at the same point leaving the core untouched. All attempts at reproducing the ionized matter have failed, due to the complexity of isolating at such small scale. Advancements in the field of Nano-technology might enable reproduction in the future.

----

PS:

Azrael Posted Today, 01:10 AM

Hailfire22 Posted Today, 01:46 AM

Qonfused and I need to blend our CT's together and make one, big, nice CT. How about it Qonfused, wanna take one part (weapons, armor, reactor, etc.) and let me take care of another or what? PM me and we'll sort this mess out, ok?

This is a problem, and it needs to be solved.

Obviusly i like mine best, and i think it covers

but we could co-write the final versions.

I just don't know how we would do that.

PSS: this is writen based partly on attached image

CT_Artopod_Autopsy.rtf

artopod.jpg

Edited by Qonfused

This is a problem, and it needs to be solved.

Obviusly i like mine best, and i think it covers

but we could co-write the final versions.

I just don't know how we would do that.

We could just put up a poll to see what everyone thinks but then I'm willing to co-write it if that won't work. Like Master Maniac said, both of ours are good, it's just the problem of seeing which one is gonna be used in the final version. <_>

Well, actually, Qonfused started this topic, so I'd say he has the preference. It is not customary to make a poll every time one starts a CT and other posts his. The fair thing to do is leave this writing to Qonfused to do, and maybe use parts of yours to complement.

Coming along very nicely! Great graphics. I would just like to comment on the part you wrote, along the lines of "controlled by Cloaks". What if you kill all the Cloaks in a mission, but some Artopods still remain? Maybe change that to "primarily controlled by its companions, the Cloaks, it retains limited intelligence and full functionality in the absense of its masters". Though I'm sure you can put it better, me being in a hurry and all that.

Well, actually, Qonfused started this topic, so I'd say he has the preference. It is not customary to make a poll every time one starts a CT and other posts his. The fair thing to do is leave this writing to Qonfused to do, and maybe use parts of yours to complement.

Alright then, that settles it. ^_^ I'll leave mine here for ideas that you might want to use but Qonfused's CT will be the one we'll use. Ok?

Great!, glad everything is settled, there're autopsies left, don't worry :D

Tsevere, regarding the Cloaks, in my Artopod CT I wrote what happened when the Cloaks were dead, have you read it Qonfused?

Coming along very nicely!  Great graphics.  I would just like to comment on the part you wrote, along the lines of "controlled by Cloaks".  What if you kill all the Cloaks in a mission, but some Artopods still remain?  Maybe change that to "primarily controlled by its companions, the Cloaks, it retains limited intelligence and full functionality in the absense of its masters".  Though I'm sure you can put it better, me being in a hurry and all that.

The Artopod is however, not sentient. It seems to use the organic nervous system in place of electronics. This supports the theories that the Artopod is being telepathically controlled, opposed to it being remotely controlled via the alien craft.

I could reformulate it, but i don't want to. It dosn't exclude the the ufo controled, or the self controled theories. i could add "...alien craft. the Artopod might also have a indipendent AI." if you still think it's a problem.

Tsevere, regarding the Cloaks, in my Artopod CT I wrote what happened when the Cloaks were dead, have you read it Qonfused?

i have read it. But i tried to write the autopsy so that it only included the information that a autopsy would give. du you think i should reformulate it?

Are there any other problems with the 3. draft?

The Artopod is an Alien walking weapons platform. With its accurate plasma cannons, the Artopod is a threat not only to the civilian population, but to our tactical operatives as well. A direct hit from the Artopod would easily damage, if not destroy a XCAPS.

The Artopod is heavily armoured with layers of alien alloys and ionized matter. Testing revealed that this combination is marginally less efficient than Alien Alloys, at withstanding projectiles, AP projectiles, high explosives and incendiary. The armour’s ability to withstand plasma however is extraordinary. Most of the autopsy division believes that the armour is designed specifically with this in mind. Testing also proved the armour to be considerably less effective in withstanding laser attacks.

The core contains significant amounts of organic matter, two gyroscopes that are integrated into the chassis, and a miniature Xenium reactor. A small emergency system was found within the Xenium reactor, should the Artopod suffer enough damage, the failsafe activates and trigger an explosive within the reactor. The breach of the reactor results in a powerful explosion, resulting in the destruction of the Artopod and possible the death of any nearby operatives. Fortunately this system malfunctioned, allowing its autopsy.

Supporting the core are three legs, and each contain four joints. These joints are powered by a complex form of hydraulics, powered by helium, which is compressed by the Xenium reactor. This system does not provide the Artopod with an abundance of stability, and is most likely the reason for gyroscopes.

As the Artopod is robotic in nature, the autopsy team was surprised to find that all parts of the Artopod contain organic matter, mainly the core. The Artopod is however, not sentient. It seems to use the organic nervous system in place of electronics. This supports the theories that the Artopod is being telepathically controlled, opposed to it being remotely controlled via the alien craft.

Between the layers of Alien Alloys that make up the armour of the Artopod, we found a multitude of isolated and highly ionized matter, both of negative and positive charge. Testing revealed that when hit by plasma, the non-conducting matter that isolates the ionized matter where evaporated. This results in a significant stream of ions. That in turn induces magnetic fields. Laser however, seem to combust the non-conducting matter that isolates the ionized matter, leaving the Artopod vulnerable to laser attacks.

The highlighted above doesn't quite sound right. Maybe something like, "Testing revealed that when hit by plasma, the area where the non-conductiong matter was vaporized releases a stream of ions which in turn creates a magnetic field in the area of the hit/blast."

At first these fields where created in random directions, therefore virtually neutralized themselves. But when introducing a homogeneous electric field, the stream of ions becomes more systemized, thus inducing a stronger magnetic field. This magnetic field proved to be quite effective at repelling plasma, causing only a few layers of alien alloys to be penetrated. Because the Artopod has multiple layers of Alien Alloys and ionized matter, the Artopod could be hit several times at the same point leaving the core untouched. All attempts at reproducing the ionized matter have failed, due to the complexity of isolating at such small scale. Advancements in the field of Nano-technology might enable reproduction in the future.

Edited by Hailfire22

i have read it. But i tried to write the autopsy so that it only included the information that a autopsy would give. du you think i should reformulate it?

It's ok, just wondering, I adapted my concept to make it fit yours a little more than before :)

I still feel that a Xenium Reactor would mean that you could recover Xenium from the Artopod after having destroyed it or captured it, and it's not wise to go there :P

I still feel that a Xenium Reactor would mean that you could recover Xenium from the Artopod after having destroyed it or captured it, and it's not wise to go there :P

I have thought about adding

"Powering all of these devices is a small reactor which uses a tiny amount of Xentium-122 and is shielded by alien alloys. This reactor is very powerful but is usually destroyed when the artopod is taken out of action, therefore the artopod is not a viable source of Xentium-122."

from hailfires CDT. But concidering the amount of Xenium recovered from a ufo, the Artopod's rector obviusly containes insignificent amounts, besides have you ever checked your stores and thought; "hey i only got 47 units og elerum of that terrorship".

i don't think a self-destructed Xenium rector would leave anny xenium to salvage.

Basicly i don't think annyone would notice, and that its to obvius.

i could be wrong though, does anyone else have a opinion on the topic.

Hailfire:

thanks for the feedback, i have made som changes, corected som errors. i only fragmented the sentence you found funny.

CT_Artopod_Autopsy.rtf

Edited by Qonfused

"Powering all of these devices is a small reactor which uses a tiny amount of Xentium-122 and is shielded by alien alloys. This reactor is very powerful but is usually destroyed when the artopod is taken out of action, therefore the artopod is not a viable source of Xentium-122."

from hailfires CDT. But concidering the amount of Xenium recovered from a ufo, the Artopod's rector obviusly containes insignificent amounts, besides have you ever checked your stores and thought; "hey i only got 47 units og elerum of that terrorship".

Adding that would be appropiate, me thinks!

Good job.

Hmm, I'm still wondering where the reference of the 'pod's weakness to laser weapons is...

"Laser however, seem to combust the non-conducting matter that isolates the ionized matter, leaving the Artopod vulnerable to laser attacks."

Adding that would be appropiate, me thinks!

Good job.

il' think about it, maybe il reformulate it a bit. will see. later, have to go.

Update: "...resulting in the destruction of the Artopod and possible the death of any nearby operatives. Fortunately this system malfunctioned, allowing its autopsy. The Artopod contains only small amounts of Xenium, insignificant compared to what’s salvaged from a UFO."

Edited by Qonfused

Last edition(hopefully)

--------

Artopod autopsy

The Artopod is heavily armoured with layers of alien alloys and ionized matter. Testing revealed that this combination is marginally less efficient than Alien Alloys, at withstanding projectiles, AP projectiles, high explosives and incendiary. The armour’s ability to withstand plasma however is extraordinary. Most of the autopsy division believes that the armour is designed specifically with this in mind. Testing also proved the armour to be considerably less effective in withstanding laser attacks.

The core contains significant amounts of organic matter, two gyroscopes that are integrated into the chassis and a miniature Xenium reactor. A small emergency system was found within the Xenium reactor, should the Artopod suffer enough damage, the failsafe activates and trigger an explosive within the reactor. The breach of the reactor results in a powerful explosion, resulting in the destruction of the Artopod and possible the death of any nearby operatives. Fortunately this system malfunctioned, allowing its autopsy. The Artopod contains only small amounts of Xenium, insignificant compared to what’s salvaged from a UFO.

Between the layers of Alien Alloys that make up the armour of the Artopod, we found a multitude of isolated and highly ionized matter, both of negative and positive charge. Testing revealed that when hit by plasma, the non-conducting matter that isolates the ionized matter where evaporated. This results in a significant stream of ions, which in turn induces magnetic fields. Laser however, seem to combust the non-conducting matter that isolates the ionized matter, leaving the Artopod vulnerable to laser attacks.

At first these fields where crated in random directions, therefore they virtually neutralized themselves. But when introducing a homogeneous electric field, the stream of ions becomes more systemized, and therefore induced a stronger magnetic field. This magnetic field proved to be quite effective at repelling plasma, causing only a few layers of alien alloys to be penetrated. Because the Artopod has multiple layers of Alien Alloys and ionized matter, the Artopod could be hit several times at the same point leaving the core untouched. All attempts at reproducing the ionized matter have failed, due to the complexity of its construction. Advancements in the field of Nano-technology might enable reproduction in the future.

-------

k, seems done, any objections?

added: mwhaha, got me some respons didn't it.

CTD_Artopod_Autopsy_rtf.rtf

Edited by Qonfused

Be patient young one, it is not yet done, CTs are not completed from day to night, but you're on the right road, keep it up! :D

Here's my review.

Artopod autopsy

Instead of “a XCAPS”, “one of our XCAPS” sounds better. And how about instead of “accurate”, “powerful” or “destructive”?

The Artopod is heavily armoured with layers of Alien Alloys and ionized matter. Testing revealed that this combination is marginally less efficient than Alien Alloys, at withstanding projectiles, AP projectiles, high explosives and incendiary. The armour’s ability to withstand plasma however is extraordinary. Most of the autopsy division believes that the armour is designed specifically with this in mind. Testing also proved the armour to be considerably less effective in withstanding laser attacks.

Second sentence, the combination of alien alloys and Ionized matter, and Alien Alloys are not comparable. One is a combination which constitutes an armour, and the other is just a compound. Rephrase to make it comparable, ex: “Testing revealed that this combination is marginally less efficient than one of Alien Alloys alone” It’s just three words more, but it makes a difference, it lets the sentence make sense. Blue highlighted comma before “at withstanding” is not correct, remove.

The core contains significant amounts of organic matter, two gyroscopes that are integrated into the chassis and a miniature Xenium reactor. A small emergency system was found within the Xenium reactor, should the Artopod suffer enough damage, the failsafe activates and triggers an explosive within the reactor. The breach of the reactor results in a powerful explosion, resulting in the destruction of the Artopod and possible the death of any nearby operatives. Fortunately this system malfunctioned, allowing its autopsy. The Artopod contains only small amounts of Xenium, insignificant compared to what’s salvaged from a UFO.

“reactor breach” sounds better than “breach of the reactor” :)

First sentence. You speak of the core, and then jump to the chassis, and then to the core again, rephrase, ex: “The Artopod’s great stability on any terrain is due to two advanced Alien gyroscopes which are integrated into its chassis, resulting in them being impossible to deactivate or removing without having to dismantle the robot. The core contains significant amounts of organic matter which appear to play an important role in the Artopod’s autonomous systems, allowing it to possess a quasi-living CPU, very similar to an organic central nervous system. The Xenium Reactor is located near the core, receiving maximum protection from the armour. A small emergency…”

“Fortunately this system malfunctioned, allowing its autopsy.” Rephrase to make it more report-ish. Ex: “Our operatives were able to recover an intact Artopod which’s emergency system had malfunctioned, not activating it’s self-destruct sequence which would have resulted in the complete destruction of this valuable specimen”.

The Artopods main sensory equipment seems to be the five “eyes” positioned on the front of the core. The four “small eyes” seem to deal with specific parts of the electromagnetic spectrum, including parts of infrared, ultraviolet, x-rays, microwaves and visible light. The “large eye” responds generally to large portions of the electromagnetic spectrum, including parts of gamma radiation. It also contains a targeting system, hitting the large eye could cause the Artopod to lose its targeting ability.

Isn’t the core of the robot supposed to be inside the robot?

I insist, the Xenium reactor is a power generator, not a Helium compressor, leave it to that, the reactor cannot power the hydraulics with Helium, if it does, it does it with Xenium.

Between the layers of Alien Alloys that make up the armour of the Artopod, we found a multitude of isolated and highly ionized matter, both of negative and positive charge. Testing revealed that when hit by plasma, the non-conducting matter that isolates the ionized matter is evaporated. This results in a significant stream of ions, which in turn induces magnetic fields. Laser however, seem to combust the non-conducting matter that isolates the ionized matter, leaving the Artopod vulnerable to laser attacks.

At first these fields where crated in random directions, therefore they virtually neutralized themselves. But when introducing a homogeneous electric field, the stream of ions becomes more systemized, and therefore induced a stronger magnetic field. This magnetic field proved to be quite effective at repelling plasma, causing only a few layers of Alien Alloys to be penetrated. Because the Artopod has multiple layers of Alien Alloys and ionized matter, the Artopod could be hit several times in the same point leaving the core untouched. All attempts at reproducing the ionized matter have failed, due to the complexity of its construction. Advancements in the field of Nano-technology might enable reproduction in the future.

I’d cut the last sentence, I don’t like how it sounds, also, I think the medkit uses nanos, but the point is that I don’t think it belongs in the autopsy, it’s not relevant to how the robot works.

Good work, looking good, one strong suggestion, change a few “Artopod” for “Walker”, “Robot”, “Weapons Platform”, “Alien robot” or such, it is very repetitive to read “Artopod” over and over. I suggest one or two “Artopod” per paragraph and only one per sentence.

5. draft

------

Artopod autopsy

The Artopod is an Alien walking weapons platform. With its powerful and accurate plasma cannons, the Artopod is a threat not only to the civilian population, but to our tactical operatives as well. A direct hit from these plasma cannons would easily damage, if not destroy one of our XCAPS.

The Artopod is heavily armoured with layers of alien alloys and ionized matter. Testing revealed that this combination is marginally less efficient than one of Alien Alloys alone at withstanding projectiles, AP projectiles, high explosives and incendiary. The armour’s ability to withstand plasma however is extraordinary. Most of the autopsy division believes that the armour is designed specifically with this in mind. Testing also proved the armour to be considerably less effective in withstanding laser attacks.

The core also contains a miniature Xenium reactor possessing only small amounts of Xenium, insignificant compared to what’s salvaged from a UFO. A small emergency system was found within the Xenium reactor, should the Artopod suffer enough damage, the failsafe activates and triggers an explosive within the reactor. The reactor breach results in a powerful explosion, resulting in the destruction of the Artopod and possible the death of any nearby operatives. The specimen’s recovery was possible due to a malfunction in the failsafe.

In addition to the reactor, significant amounts of organic matter was found inside the core, this appear to play an important role in the Artopod’s autonomous system. The concentration of organic matter in the core suggests that it possibly functions as a quasi-living CPU, very similar to an organic central nervous system.

The main sensory equipment seems to be the five “eyes” positioned on the front of the core. The four “small eyes” seem to deal with specific parts of the electromagnetic spectrum, including parts of infrared, ultraviolet, x-rays, microwaves and visible light. The “large eye” responds generally to large portions of the electromagnetic spectrum, including parts of gamma radiation. It also contains a targeting system, hitting the large eye could cause the Artopod to lose its targeting ability.

Supporting the Weapon platform are three legs, each contain four joints. These joints are powered by a complex form of hydraulics, powered by the Xenium rector. This system does not provide an abundance of stability; this is compensated with two gyroscopes that are integrated into the lower part of the core’s chassis.

As the Artopod is robotic in nature, the autopsy team was surprised to find that all parts contain organic matter, mainly the core. The Artopod is however, not sentient. It seems to use the organic nervous system in place of electronics. This supports the theories that the Artopod is being telepathically controlled, opposed to it being remotely controlled via the alien craft.

Between the layers of Alien Alloys that make up the armour of the Artopod, we found a multitude of isolated and highly ionized matter, both of negative and positive charge. Testing revealed that when hit by plasma, the non-conducting matter that isolates the ionized matter where evaporated. This results in a significant stream of ions, which in turn induces magnetic fields. Laser however, seem to combust the non-conducting matter that isolates the ionized matter, leaving the Artopod vulnerable to laser attacks.

At first these fields where crated in random directions, therefore they virtually neutralized themselves. But when introducing a homogeneous electric field, the stream of ions becomes more systemized, and therefore induced a stronger magnetic field. This magnetic field proved to be quite effective at repelling plasma, causing only a few layers of alien alloys to be penetrated. Because the Artopod has multiple layers of Alien Alloys and ionized matter, the armour could be hit several times in the same point leaving the core untouched. All attempts at reproducing the ionized matter have failed, due to the complexity of its construction.

------------

notes: This draft has some major changes from previus ver.

thanks for the respons.

have fun at this one to.

Edited by Qonfused

You asked for it :naughty:

5. draft

------

Artopod autopsy

The Artopod is an Alien walking weapons platform. With its powerful and accurate plasma cannons, the Artopod is a threat not only to the civilian population, but to our tactical operatives as well. A direct hit from these plasma cannons would easily damage, if not destroy one of our XCAPS.

The Artopod is heavily armoured with layers of alien alloys and ionized matter. Testing revealed that this combination is marginally less efficient than one of Alien Alloys alone at withstanding projectiles, AP projectiles, high explosives and incendiary. The armour’s ability to withstand plasma however is extraordinary. Most of the Engineering Division believes that the armour is designed specifically with this in mind. Testing also proved the armour to be considerably less effective in withstanding laser attacks.

Just changed "autopsy division" to "Engineering Division", as it fits better the X-Corps organisation we've been using, hope you don't mind.

The core also contains a miniature Xenium reactor containing only small amounts of Xenium, insignificant compared to what is salvaged from a UFO. A small emergency system was found within the Xenium reactor, should the Artopod suffer enough damage, the failsafe activates and triggers an explosive within the reactor. The reactor breach results in a powerful explosion, with the destruction of the Artopod and possible the death of any nearby operatives as an inevitable consequence. The specimen’s recovery was possible due to a malfunction in the failsafe.

"Resulting" was repetitive, changed the sentence before the last one, just a little. The reactor contains, does not possess Xenium. Removed an apostrophe, scientific reports do not have them.

In addition to the reactor, significant amounts of organic matter was found inside the core, this appear to play an important role in the Artopod’s autonomous system's functioning. The concentration of organic matter in the core suggests that it possibly functions as a quasi-living CPU, very similar to an organic central nervous system.

Added one word, nothing major.

The main sensory equipment is composed by five “eyes” positioned on the front of the core. The four “small eyes” seem to deal with specific parts of the electromagnetic spectrum, including parts of infrared, ultraviolet, x-rays, microwaves and visible light. The “large eye” responds generally to large portions of the electromagnetic spectrum, including parts of gamma radiation. It also contains the targeting system, hitting the large eye could cause the Artopod to lose its targeting ability, greatly reducing its battle capabilities.

Supporting this Weapons platform are three mechanical legs, each one has four joints, these are controlled by a complex form of hydraulics, powered by the Xenium rector. This system does not provide an abundance of stability; but is compensated with two advanced gyroscopes that are integrated into the lower part of the core’s chassis.

As the Artopod is robotic in nature, the autopsy team was surprised to find that all parts contain organic matter, mainly the core. The Artopod is however, not sentient. It seems to use an organic nervous system in place of electronics. This supports the theories that the Artopod is telepathically controlled, opposed to it being remotely controlled via the Alien craft.

At first these fields where crated in random directions, therefore virtually neutralizing themselves. But when introducing a homogeneous electric field, the stream of ions becomes more systemized, therefore inducing a stronger magnetic field. This magnetic field proved to be quite effective at repelling plasma, causing only a few layers of Alien Alloys to be penetrated. Because the Artopod has multiple layers of Alien Alloys and ionized matter, the armour could be hit several times in the same point leaving the core untouched. All attempts at reproducing the ionized matter have failed, due to the complexity of its construction.

------------

Azrael Overall Rating: 10 - Now you're talking! After all modifications this is looking very good, all my suggestions are only minor changes, the CT itself is great :rock: . I feel you're getting closer... let's wait for the other members' comments and RustedSoul's veredict :happybanana:

Sorry this was not a direct copy from Azrael's post... so consider alterates as seperate at this point :)

--------

The Artopod is heavily armoured with layers of alien alloys and ionized matter. Testing revealed that this combination is marginally less efficient than one of Alien Alloys alone at withstanding projectiles, AP projectiles, high explosives and incendiary. The armour’s ability to withstand plasma however is extraordinary. Most of the autopsy division believe that the armour is designed specifically with this in mind. Testing also proved the armour to be considerably less effective in withstanding laser attacks.

I would suggest Scientific personnel.

The core also contains a miniature Xenium reactor possessing only small amounts of Xenium, insignificant compared to what’s salvaged from a UFO. A small emergency system was found within the Xenium reactor, should the Artopod suffer enough damage, the failsafe activates and triggers an explosive within the reactor. The reactor breach results in a powerful explosion, resulting in the destruction of the Artopod and possible the death of any nearby operatives. The specimen’s recovery was possible due to a malfunction in the failsafe.

2nd "Resulting"; You should probably consider an alternative word.

In addition to the reactor, significant amounts of organic matter was found inside the core, this appear to play an important role in the Artopod’s autonomous system. The concentration of organic matter in the core suggests that it possibly functions as a quasi-living CPU, very similar to an organic central nervous system.

The main sensory equipment seems to be the five “eyes” positioned on the front of the core. The four “small eyes” seem to deal with specific parts of the electromagnetic spectrum, including parts of infrared, ultraviolet, x-rays, microwaves and visible light. The “large eye” responds generally to large portions of the electromagnetic spectrum, including parts of gamma radiation. It also contains a targeting system, hitting the large eye could cause the Artopod to lose its targeting ability.

Supporting the Weapon platform are three legs, each contain four joints. These joints are powered by a complex form of hydraulics, powered by the Xenium rector. This system does not provide an abundance of stability; this is compensated with two gyroscopes that are integrated into the lower part of the core’s chassis.

As the Artopod is robotic in nature, the autopsy team was surprised to find that all parts contain organic matter, mainly the core. The Artopod is however, not sentient. It seems to use the organic nervous system in place of electronics. This supports the theories that the Artopod is being telepathically controlled, opposed to it being remotely controlled via the alien craft.

As afore mention statement regarding autopsy division, Please consider alternative. Otherwise I think this is ok (AKA funky) :)

Between the layers of Alien Alloys that make up the armour of the Artopod, we found a multitude of isolated and highly ionized matter, both of negative and positive charge. Testing revealed that when hit by plasma, the non-conducting matter that isolates the ionized matter were evaporated. This results in a significant stream of ions, which in turn induces a magnetic field. Lasers however, seem to combust the non-conducting matter that isolates the ionized matter, leaving the Artopod vulnerable to laser attacks.

At first these fields were created in random directions, therefore they virtually neutralized themselves. But when introducing a homogeneous electric field, the stream of ions becomes more systemized, and therefore induced a stronger magnetic field. This magnetic field proved to be quite effective at repelling plasma, causing only a few layers of alien alloys to be penetrated. Because the Artopod has multiple layers of Alien Alloys and ionized matter, the armour could be hit several times in the same point leaving the core untouched. All attempts at reproducing the ionized matter have failed, due to the complexity of its construction.

-First sentence, please explain to me what you're trying say and what is happening. (as though you would explain it to a five year old child.. so there is no misunderstanding ;) )

Personally, I think this is very close to completed :)

Edited by RustedSoul

and here's it.

---------

Artopod autopsy

The Artopod is heavily armoured with layers of alien alloys and ionized matter. Testing revealed that this combination is marginally less efficient than one of Alien Alloys alone at withstanding projectiles, AP projectiles, high explosives and incendiary. The armour’s ability to withstand plasma however is extraordinary. Most of the Engineering Division believe that the armour is designed specifically with this in mind. Testing also proved the armour to be considerably less effective in withstanding laser attacks.

The core also contains a miniature Xenium reactor containing only small amounts of Xenium, insignificant compared to what is salvaged from a UFO. A small emergency system was found within the Xenium reactor, should the Artopod suffer enough damage, the failsafe activates and triggers an explosive within the reactor. The reactor breach results in a powerful explosion, followed by the destruction of the Artopod and possible the death of any nearby operatives. The specimen’s recovery was possible due to a malfunction in the failsafe.

In addition to the reactor, significant amounts of organic matter was found inside the core, this appear to play an important role in the Artopod’s autonomous system’s functioning. The concentration of organic matter in the core suggests that it possibly functions as a quasi-living CPU, very similar to an organic central nervous system.

The main sensory equipment is composed by the five “eyes” positioned on the front of the core. The four “small eyes” seem to deal with specific parts of the electromagnetic spectrum, including parts of infrared, ultraviolet, x-rays, microwaves and visible light. The “large eye” responds generally to large portions of the electromagnetic spectrum, including parts of gamma radiation. It also contains the targeting system, hitting the large eye could cause the Artopod to lose its targeting ability, greatly reducing its battle capabilities.

Supporting this weapon platform are three mechanical legs, each one has four joints, and these are powered by a complex form of hydraulics, powered by the Xenium rector. This system does not provide an abundance of stability; this is compensated with two gyroscopes that are integrated into the lower part of the core’s chassis.

As the Artopod is robotic in nature, we where surprised to find that all parts contain organic matter, mainly the core. The Artopod is however, not sentient. It seems to use an organic nervous system in place of electronics. This supports the theories that the Artopod is being telepathically controlled, opposed to it being remotely controlled via the Alien craft.

Between the layers of Alien Alloys that make up the armour of the Artopod, we found a multitude of isolated and highly ionized matter, both of negative and positive charge. Testing revealed that when hit by plasma, the non-conducting matter that isolates the ionized matter were evaporated. This results in a significant stream of ions, which in turn induces a magnetic field. Lasers however, seem to combust the non-conducting matter that isolates the ionized matter, leaving the Artopod vulnerable to laser attacks.

At first these fields were created in random directions, therefore virtually neutralizing themselves. But when introducing a homogeneous electric field, the stream of ions becomes more systemized, and therefore inducing a stronger magnetic field. This magnetic field proved to be quite effective at repelling plasma, causing only a few layers of Alien Alloys to be penetrated. Because the Artopod has multiple layers of Alien Alloys and ionized matter, the armour could be hit several times in the same point leaving the core untouched. All attempts at reproducing the ionized matter have failed, due to the complexity of its construction.

----------

notes:

Most of your sugestions/corrections where gramatical in nature, and i followed most of them.

I replaced "autopsy division" with "Engineering Division" in the secound paragraf. and in the 7. i reformed the sentece and used "we", i think its good, but you might want to check it out

I don't know how i would explaine the first sentece in the last paragraf, as you pointed out. I messed around with the thought, and i can't think of anny whay to explain it without adding text worth a extra paragraf.

If you point two magnetic fields in the same direction, at the same point, they add upp.

Just as if two people push the same point, the push with the same force as two people(twice that of one man; comen sense).

If you induce a high amount of magnetic fields in randome directions, they would most probably nutrelize each other by working in opposit directions.

if you five guys where to pick a randome point on a car and start pushing, the would most likly not be able to move the car, becouse they would be pushing against eatch other.

any sugestions/comments.

CT_Artopod_Autopsy_rtf.rtf

Edited by Qonfused

I still don't get the bit about how the "ionized" matter is vulnerable to laser attacks. Personally, I like the idea of a refractive layer of crystal myself, as according to some research I pulled about laser energy conductivity, it would make a bit more sense as to what its weakness is exactly--but then again, it's not really a problem, just so long as this "ionized" matter is elaborated upon in a more feasible manner. Insofar, I have no clue what this bit here:

is getting at.

A possible way to alliviate the confusion would be to give the writing a bit more consistancy. Such as, for example, this:

"Surprisingly enough, the Artopod's core design contains a fairly shocking revelation--the possiblility that the aliens might have actually anticipated having their own technology turned against them in some way. Barring any other feasible explanation, the walking battle drone's outward armor plating reflects a collective emphasis on a more conservative approach, utilizing a specifically-tuned magnetic field capable of reversing the energy output of a particle stream almost instantaneously, once the energy source comes into range. While the concept of an energy shield is seemingly innocious enough, its method of execution is particularly interesting; quite a shock to X-Corps researchers, it appears that this magnetic field is generated solely as a countermeasure to defend against the harmful effects of plasma impact. Disturbing as it may seem, it's highly probable that the Artopod is a newly-devised technology primarily developed to counter the human adoption of alien weaponry. Ionized particle sheaths generated by an internal static-driven energy displacement core form a sort of magnetic barrier which almost completely depletes the outward force of a plasma stream before impact. This effectively negates the effectiveness of plasma attacks on its thick armor, not to mention damage from conventional weapons or explosives. However, upon further examination of the displacement core, it appears that a bit of an exploit could be utilized: whilst the primary function of the magnetic field is to guard against energy-based damage, a single concentrated beam of condensed, focused energy could perhaps neutralize the magnetic properties of the displacement field, by instantly turning the shield's polarity in upon itself."

Okay, the wording isn't perfect, and it needs to be a lot shorter, but I think that it wouldn't hurt to have that bit about the Artopod's weakness to lasers make a bit more sense. Other than that, nice work so far. Perhaps you could work off that general idea?

Note: the site's working again! Finally! :beer:

Edited by The Master Maniac

If crystal is weak agains laser, as you say.

then i could explain in the text that the nonconducting matter, that isolates the ionized matter, is made up by crystal. im not however shure if crystal is none-conductiong(im talking about electricity here).

however i don't see you problem with my explonation. if the none-conductiong matter combustes(burn's) when attacked by lasers(not far fetched). it would easely explain why its less resistent to laser than normal alien alloys(does not combust.)

I would allso like to add, that magnetic's is the only known way of handeling plasma. and magnetics is therfore the only plausible explonation to how somthing is protected against plasma. plasma is basicly realy hot matter(a form of neutral gasius form of gas).

and i don't know what you mean by "energy" half the time in your text. is it magnetic, electrical, mecanical or in form of electromagnetic radiation?

Does annyone have any thoughts on the subject. do you find this troublesome, or not. shuld i use crystals, or is the combustion explation fine?

Edited by Qonfused

Artopod autopsy

The Artopod is a walking Alien weapons platform. With its powerful and accurate plasma cannons, the Artopod is a threat not only to the civilian population, but to our tactical operatives as well. A direct hit from these plasma cannons would easily damage, if not destroy one of our XCAPS.

I suggest “walking Alien weapons platform” instead of “Alien walking weapons platform”. Just a minor detail :)

The Artopod is heavily armoured with layers of alien alloys and ionized matter. Testing revealed that this combination is marginally less efficient than one of Alien Alloys alone at withstanding projectiles, AP projectiles, high explosives and incendiary; the armour’s ability to withstand plasma however is extraordinary. Most of the Engineering Division believes that the armour was specifically designed with this in mind. Testing also proved the armour to be notoriously less effective at withstanding laser attacks.

Consider “notoriously” instead of “considerably”. Fixed a few sentences.I was thinking about “Testing has also proven…” instead of “also proved”, but it’s your choice ^_^

The core contains a miniature Xenium reactor containing only small amounts of Xenium, insignificant compared to what is salvaged from a UFO. A small emergency system was found within the Xenium reactor, should the Artopod suffer enough damage, the failsafe activates and triggers an explosive within the reactor; the reactor breach results in a powerful explosion, followed by the destruction of the Artopod and possible the death of any nearby operatives. The specimen’s recovery was possible due to a malfunction in the failsafe.

Removed “also” from “The core also…”, since you haven’t talked about the core yet, it was incorrect. “Contains” is repetitive with “containing”, I suggest “Within the core we found a miniature Xenium reactor…”

In the second sentence, “an explosive within the reactor” is repetitive with “within the Xenium reactor” I suggest cutting the “within the reactor” from “triggers an explosive within the reactor” It’s kinda implied that the explosive is within the reactor.

In addition to the reactor, significant amounts of organic matter was found inside the core, it appears to play an important role in the Artopod’s autonomous system’s functioning. The concentration of organic matter in the core suggests that it possibly functions as a quasi-living CPU, very similar to an organic central nervous system.

The main sensory equipment is composed by the five “eyes” positioned on the front of the core. The four “small eyes” seem to deal with specific parts of the electromagnetic spectrum, including parts of infrared, ultraviolet, x-rays, microwaves and visible light. The “large eye” responds generally to large portions of the electromagnetic spectrum, including parts of gamma radiation. It also contains the targeting system, hitting the large eye could cause the Artopod to lose its targeting ability, greatly reducing its battle capabilities.

Supporting this weapons platform are three mechanical legs, each one has four joints, these are powered by a complex form of hydraulics, powered by the Xenium rector. This system does not provide an abundance of stability; but is compensated with two advancedgyroscopes that are integrated into the lower part of the core’s chassis.

“powered” is repetitive, as said in my previous post.

As the Artopod is robotic in nature, we where surprised to find that all parts contain organic matter, mainly the core. The Artopod is however, not sentient. It seems to use an organic nervous system in place of electronics. This supports the theories that the Artopod is telepathically controlled, opposed to it being remotely controlled via the Alien craft.

Scrapped “being” from “controlled telepathically”. The Artopod is dead, it is no longer under the control of Cloaks, therefore, it is no longer being controlled.

Between the layers of Alien Alloys that make up the armour of the Artopod, we found a multitude of isolated and highly ionized matter, both of negative and positive charge. Testing revealed that when hit by plasma, the non-conducting matter that isolates the ionized matter were evaporated. This results in a significant stream of ions, which in turn induces a magnetic field. Lasers however, seem to combust the non-conducting matter that isolates the ionized matter, leaving the Artopod vulnerable to further laser attacks.

I don’t like the word “multitude” in the beginning, how bout a synonym?

At first the fields are created in random directions, therefore virtually neutralizing themselves. But when introducing a homogeneous electric field, the stream of ions becomes more systemized, inducing a stronger magnetic field. This magnetic field proved to be quite effective at repelling plasma, causing only a few layers of Alien Alloys to be penetrated. Because the Artopod has multiple layers of Alien Alloys and ionized matter, the armour could be hit several times in the same point leaving the core untouched. All attempts at reproducing the ionized matter have failed, due to the complexity of its construction.

It is an explanation of how it works, leave it in present simple, corrected. Changed “…inducing a stronger magnetic field”, scrapped what was at the beginning.

All my suggestions at this point were minor, but please look into all of them. I think this is very close to completion (in fact, my suggestions are all I consider that has to be changed to be finished).

Good work.

final version.(maybe)

------

Artopod autopsy

The Artopod is an walking Alien weapons platform. With its powerful and accurate plasma cannons, the Artopod is a threat not only to the civilian population, but to our tactical operatives as well. A direct hit from these plasma cannons would easily damage, if not destroy one of our XCAPS.

The Artopod is heavily armoured with layers of alien alloys and ionized matter. Testing revealed that this combination is marginally less efficient than one of Alien Alloys alone at withstanding projectiles, AP projectiles, high explosives and incendiary; the armour’s ability to withstand plasma however is extraordinary. Most of the Engineering Division believes that the armour was specifically designed with this in mind. Testing also proved the armour to be notoriously less effective in withstanding laser attacks.

Within the core we found a miniature Xenium reactor, containing only small amounts of Xenium, insignificant compared to what is salvaged from a UFO. A small emergency system was found within the Xenium reactor, should the Artopod suffer enough damage, the failsafe activates and triggers an explosive; the reactor breach results in a powerful explosion, followed by the destruction of the Artopod and possible the death of any nearby operatives. The specimen’s recovery was possible due to a malfunction in the failsafe.

In addition to the reactor, significant amounts of organic matter was found inside the core, it appears to play an important role in the Artopod’s autonomous system’s functioning. The concentration of organic matter in the core suggests that it possibly functions as a quasi-living CPU, very similar to an organic central nervous system.

Supporting this weapons platform are three mechanical legs, each one has four joints, and these are controlled by a complex form of hydraulics, powered by the Xenium rector. This system does not provide an abundance of stability; but is compensated with two gyroscopes that are integrated into the lower part of the core’s chassis.

As the Artopod is robotic in nature, we where surprised to find that all parts contain organic matter, mainly the core. The Artopod is however, not sentient. It seems to use an organic nervous system in place of electronics. This supports the theories that the Artopod is telepathically controlled, opposed to it being remotely controlled via the Alien craft.

Between the layers of Alien Alloys that make up the armour of the Artopod, we found myriad number of isolated and highly ionized matter, both of negative and positive charge. Testing revealed that when hit by plasma, the non-conducting matter that isolates the ionized matter were evaporated. This results in a significant stream of ions, which in turn induces a magnetic field. Lasers however, seem to combust the non-conducting matter that isolates the ionized matter, leaving the Artopod vulnerable to laser attacks.

At first the fields are created in random directions, therefore virtually neutralizing themselves. But when introducing a homogeneous electric field, the stream of ions becomes more systemized, inducing a stronger magnetic field. This magnetic field proved to be quite effective at repelling plasma, causing only a few layers of Alien Alloys to be penetrated. Because the Artopod has multiple layers of Alien Alloys and ionized matter, the armour could be hit several times in the same point leaving the core untouched. All attempts at reproducing the ionized matter have failed, due to the complexity of its construction.

----

notes:

... is compensated with two advancedgyroscopes that are integrated into the lower part of the core’s chassis.

Advanced? its rotating symmetrical mass! how can it be advanced?

I corrected a everything you pointed out. and im hard pressed to find annything that can be reformulated to the better in this text. so is it green or do any of you guys see somthing that needs improving.

Edited by Qonfused

Artopod autopsy

The Artopod is a walking Alien weapons platform. With its powerful and accurate plasma cannons, the Artopod is a threat not only to the civilian population, but to our tactical operatives as well. A direct hit from these plasma cannons would easily damage, if not destroy one of our XCAPS.

The Artopod is heavily armoured with layers of Alien Alloys and ionized matter. Testing revealed that this combination is marginally less efficient than one of Alien Alloys alone at withstanding projectiles, AP projectiles, high explosives and incendiary; the armour’s ability to withstand plasma however is extraordinary. Most of the Engineering Division believes that the armour was specifically designed with this in mind. Testing also proved the armour to be notoriously less effective in withstanding laser attacks.

Within the core we found a miniature Xenium reactor, containing only small amounts of Xenium, insignificant compared to what is salvaged from a UFO. A small emergency system was found within the Xenium reactor, should the Artopod suffer enough damage, the failsafe activates and triggers an explosive; the reactor breach results in a powerful explosion, followed by the destruction of the Artopod and possible the death of any nearby operatives. The specimen’s recovery was possible due to a malfunction in the failsafe.

In addition to the reactor, significant amounts of organic matter were found inside the core, it appears to play an important role in the Artopod’s autonomous system’s functioning. The concentration of organic matter in the core suggests that it possibly functions as a quasi-living CPU, very similar to an organic central nervous system.

1st sentence, why is it “in addition” to the reactor?, you haven’t mentioned yet that there was organic matter in the reactor, rephrase.

Supporting this weapons platform are three mechanical legs, each one has four joints, and these are controlled by a complex form of hydraulics, powered by the Xenium reactor. This system does not provide an abundance of stability; but is compensated with two gyroscopes that are integrated into the lower part of the core’s chassis.

As the Artopod is robotic in nature, we were surprised to find that all parts contain organic matter, mainly the core. The Artopod is however, not sentient. It seems to use an organic nervous system in place of electronics. This supports the theories that the Artopod is telepathically controlled, opposed to it being remotely controlled via the Alien craft.

I suggest “from” rather than “via”.

Between the layers of Alien Alloys that make up the armour of the Artopod, we found a myriad number of isolated and highly ionized matter, both of negative and positive charge. Testing revealed that when hit by plasma, the non-conducting matter that isolates the ionized matter were evaporated. This results in a significant stream of ions, which in turn induces a magnetic field. Lasers however, seem to combust the non-conducting matter that isolates the ionized matter, leaving the Artopod vulnerable to laser attacks.

I think it’s “a myriad number of…” instead of “myriad number”.

Everything can be more advanced!, especially alien tech, but it's your preferrence. :D

Edited by Azrael

Ok, heres another go.

sorry for all the repeted spelling errors, im a dyslectic.

------------

Artopod autopsy

The Artopod is heavily armoured with layers of Alien Alloys and ionized matter. Testing revealed that this combination is marginally less efficient than one of Alien Alloys alone at withstanding projectiles, AP projectiles, high explosives and incendiary; the armour’s ability to withstand plasma however is extraordinary. Most of the Engineering Division believes that the armour was specifically designed with this in mind. Testing also proved the armour to be notoriously less effective in withstanding laser attacks.

A significant amount of organic matter was found inside the core, in addition to the reactor, it appears to play an important role in the Artopod’s autonomous system’s functioning. The concentration of organic matter in the core suggests that it possibly functions as a quasi-living CPU, very similar to an organic central nervous system.

Supporting this weapons platform are three mechanical legs, each one has four joints, and these are controlled by a complex form of hydraulics, powered by the Xenium reactor. This system does not provide an abundance of stability; but is compensated with two gyroscopes that are integrated into the lower part of the core’s chassis.

As the Artopod is robotic in nature, we were surprised to find that all parts contain organic matter, mainly the core. The Artopod is however, not sentient. It seems to use an organic nervous system in place of electronics. This supports the theories that the Artopod is telepathically controlled, opposed to it being remotely controlled from the Alien craft.

Between the layers of Alien Alloys that make up the armour of the Artopod, we found a myriad number of isolated and highly ionized matter, both of negative and positive charge. Testing revealed that when hit by plasma, the non-conducting matter that isolates the ionized matter were evaporated. This results in a significant stream of ions, which in turn induces a magnetic field. Lasers however, seem to combust the non-conducting matter that isolates the ionized matter, leaving the Artopod vulnerable to laser attacks.

----

Of cours you could have some ultimate "humming top" built from alien alloys, and completly symmetrical. It would be more advanced, but the consept and the desigen would still be identical.

CT_Artopod_Autopsy_rtf.rtf

Ok, heres another go.

sorry for all the repeted spelling errors, im a dyslectic.

No problem, that's why we're here for ^_^ .

Sooo....

Azrael's Veredict: Finished! :happybanana:

AFAIK this is done, I have nothing else to add. Great work :D

------------

Artopod autopsy

A significant amount of organic matter was found inside the core, in addition to the reactor, it appears to play an important role in the Artopod’s autonomous system’s functioning. The concentration of organic matter in the core suggests that it possibly functions as a quasi-living CPU, very similar to an organic central nervous system.

This doesn't sound quite right. Maybe re-word it into something like, "It also contains the targeting system, therefore hitting it could cause the Artopod to lose its ability to target. This would reduce its battle capabilities and allow our operatives to eliminate it more easily."

As the Artopod is robotic in nature, we were surprised to find that all parts contain organic matter, mainly the core. The Artopod is however, not sentient. It seems to use an organic nervous system in place of electronics. This supports the theories that the Artopod is telepathically controlled, opposed to it being remotely controlled from the Alien craft.

----

So far so good! I'd say that this CT is pretty much done. Good work!

And don't worry, as Azrael said, there's always someone that's willing to help ^_^

Edited by Hailfire22

...parts of infrared, ultraviolet, x-rays, microwaves and visible light. The “large eye” responds generally to large portions of the electromagnetic spectrum, including parts of gamma radiation. It also contains the targeting system, hitting the large eye could cause the Artopod to lose its targeting ability, greatly reducing its battle capabilities.

This doesn't sound quite right. Maybe re-word it into something like, "It also contains the targeting system, therefore hitting it could cause the Artopod to lose its ability to target. This would reduce its battle capabilities and allow our operatives to eliminate it more easily." ...

is see your point, but after reading throught both several times, i came to the conclusion that i prefered mine. and i could't think of a better alternative.

Also, even though you pull it of. im sceptic to pfrases like "...and allow our operatives to eliminate it more easily." its to obvius.

And scientist don't like to draw conclusions, regarding subjecst byond, or bordering their field of expertice.

Thats why i write things like "...shows resistans to plasma attacks." rather then "...would not be damaged by our plasma rifles."