XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Ctd- Artopod Autopsy

[quote name='Qonfused' date='Nov 4 2004, 07:14 AM'][quote name='Hailfire22' date='Nov 4 2004, 01:40 AM']...parts of infrared, ultraviolet, x-rays, microwaves and visible light. The “large eye” responds generally to large portions of the electromagnetic spectrum, including parts of gamma radiation. [color="red"]It also contains the targeting system, hitting the large eye could cause the Artopod to lose its targeting ability, greatly reducing its battle capabilities. [/color]

[color="Green"]This doesn't sound quite right. Maybe re-word it into something like, "It also contains the targeting system, therefore hitting it could cause the Artopod to lose its ability to target. This would reduce its battle capabilities and allow our operatives to eliminate it more easily."[/color] ...[/quote]

is see your point, but after reading throught both several times, i came to the conclusion that i prefered mine. and i could't think of a better alternative.

Also, even though you pull it of. im sceptic to pfrases like "...and allow our operatives to eliminate it more easily." its to obvius.
And scientist don't like to draw conclusions, regarding subjecst byond, or bordering their field of expertice.
Thats why i write things like "...shows resistans to plasma attacks." rather then "...would not be damaged by our plasma rifles."
[right][post="99157"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
[/quote]

Ok, but for some reason the part....
[quote]It also contains the targeting system, hitting the large eye could cause the Artopod to lose its targeting ability, greatly reducing its battle capabilities.[/quote]
....just sounds funny. Almost like you jumped from it containing the targeting system to what the affects of hitting it would be without linking the two together. Does anyone else feel that way?

[quote name='Hailfire22' date='Nov 4 2004, 01:47 PM'][quote name='Qonfused' date='Nov 4 2004, 07:14 AM'][quote name='Hailfire22' date='Nov 4 2004, 01:40 AM']...parts of infrared, ultraviolet, x-rays, microwaves and visible light. The “large eye” responds generally to large portions of the electromagnetic spectrum, including parts of gamma radiation. [color="red"]It also contains the targeting system, hitting the large eye could cause the Artopod to lose its targeting ability, greatly reducing its battle capabilities. [/color]

[color="Green"]This doesn't sound quite right. Maybe re-word it into something like, "It also contains the targeting system, therefore hitting it could cause the Artopod to lose its ability to target. This would reduce its battle capabilities and allow our operatives to eliminate it more easily."[/color] ...[/quote]

is see your point, but after reading throught both several times, i came to the conclusion that i prefered mine. and i could't think of a better alternative.

Also, even though you pull it of. im sceptic to pfrases like "...and allow our operatives to eliminate it more easily." its to obvius.
And scientist don't like to draw conclusions, regarding subjecst byond, or bordering their field of expertice.
Thats why i write things like "...shows resistans to plasma attacks." rather then "...would not be damaged by our plasma rifles."
[right][post="99157"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
[/quote]

Ok, but for some reason the part....
[quote]It also contains the targeting system, hitting the large eye could cause the Artopod to lose its targeting ability, greatly reducing its battle capabilities.[/quote]
....just sounds funny. Almost like you jumped from it containing the targeting system to what the affects of hitting it would be without linking the two together. Does anyone else feel that way?
[right][post="99169"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
[/quote]

I'm sorry Hailfire, I don't see your point, I don't think rephrasing is needed there.

[quote name='Hailfire22' date='Nov 10 2004, 08:05 PM'][quote name='Azrael' date='Nov 10 2004, 03:21 PM']Patience, young grasshopper ^_^
[right][post="99487"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Hehehe, I've learned not to ask if it's done yet, thanks to you, Azrael ^_^ Not that that's a bad thing.... :D
[right][post="99499"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
[/quote]

You are most welcome :P

Hailfire is right, these cts are done with everyone's cooperation and work, if you have free time, help the others improve their cts. The cts don't necessarily have to be "not worked on" at the moment. Edited by Azrael

This is looking great Qonfused!

Regarding further items that may be of interest to you, I'd suggest taking a look at the live Artopod specimen.. Seeing how you're just finishing up the autopsy, you are definately in a position to help out there :)

• 2 months later...
ARTOPOD AUTOPSY
X-Net://Pegasus.net/Alien/Autopsies/Artopod

The Artopod is a walking Alien weapons platform. Armed with powerful and accurate plasma cannons, the Artopod is a threat not only to the civilian population, but to our tactical operatives as well. A direct hit from these cannons would easily damage, if not destroy one of our XCAPS.

The Artopod is heavily armored with layers of Alien Composites and ionized matter. Testing revealed that this combination is marginally less efficient than one of Alien Composites alone at withstanding standard projectiles, AP projectiles, high explosives and incendiary ammo; however, the armor's ability to withstand plasma is extraordinary. Most of the Engineering Division believes that the armor was specifically designed by the Star-Spawn with this in mind, perhaps to avoid friendly fire or the usage of their own weapons against them. Testing also proved the armor to be notoriously less effective at withstanding laser attacks.

Within the core we found a miniature Xenium Reactor, containing only small amounts of Xenium-122, insignificant compared to what is salvaged from an UFO. A small emergency system was found within the Xenium Reactor: should the Artopod suffer enough damage, the failsafe activates and triggers an explosive. The inevitable reactor breach results in a powerful explosion, followed by the destruction of the Artopod and possible death of any nearby operatives.

A significant amount of organic matter was found inside the core, in addition to the reactor, it appears to play an important role in the Artopod’s autonomous system’s functioning. The concentration of organic matter in the core suggests that it possibly functions as a quasi-living CPU, very similar to an organic central nervous system.

The main sensory equipment is composed by the five “eyes” positioned on the front portion of the upper body. The four “small eyes” seem to deal with specific parts of the electromagnetic spectrum, including parts of infrared, ultraviolet, x-rays, microwaves and visible light. The “large eye” responds generally to large portions of the electromagnetic spectrum, including parts of gamma radiation. It also contains the targeting system; hitting the large eye could cause the Artopod to lose its targeting ability, greatly reducing its battle capabilities.

Supporting this weapons platform are three mechanical legs. Each one has four joints, and these are controlled by a complex form of hydraulics, powered by the Xenium Reactor. This system does not provide an abundance of stability, but is compensated with two gyroscopes that are integrated into the lower part of the chassis.

As the Artopod is robotic in nature, we were surprised to find that all parts contain organic matter, mainly the core. The Artopod is, however, not sentient. It seems to use an organic nervous system in place of electronics. This supports the theories that the Artopod is telepathically controlled, opposed to it being remotely controlled from an Alien craft.

Between the layers of Alien Composites that make up the armor of the Artopod, we found a myriad of isolated and highly ionized matter, both of negative and positive charge. Testing revealed that when hit by plasma, the non-conducting matter that isolates the ionized matter was evaporated. This results in a significant stream of ions, which in turn induces a magnetic field. Laser, however, seem to combust the non-conducting matter that isolates the ionized matter, leaving the Artopod vulnerable to laser attacks.

At first the fields are created in random directions, therefore virtually neutralizing themselves. But when introducing an homogeneous electric field, the stream of ions becomes more systemized, inducing a stronger magnetic field. This magnetic field proved to be quite effective at repelling plasma, causing only a few layers of Alien Composites to be penetrated. Because the Artopod has multiple layers of Alien Composites and ionized matter, the armor can be hit several times in the same point leaving the core untouched. All attempts at reproducing the ionized matter have failed, due to the complexity of its construction.

“Of course it’s safe, don’t be silly, didn’t you read the report? the bomb was deactivated when we took it down. Sure, you can touch it”
Rookie X-Corps trooper to a fellow trooper, prior to being killed by the explosion of a retrieved Artopod.
Note: Access to labs has been restricted, and is strictly off-limits to personnel with security clearance under Gamma-2. Edited by Mad
fixed forum software mess