XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Ff Tactics Meets Xcom

I wonder if we can adopt Final Fantasy Tactics' interphase for our battlescape. It's similar to xcom's turn based system.

The differences between the two systems is that FF Tactics doesn't have fog of war. And character turn is based on individuals rather than teams.

I think it might work.

Maybe even put FMV animations for kill shots and criticals.

• 3 months later...
I think having the 'fog of war' bit in X-COM is what continues to distinguish it from isometric strategy games even today. It hightens the anxiety effect the game has on you in not being prematurely aware of your surroundings, or your foes. Perhaps different death animations considering the mode of killing could be useful, or even a damaged unit showing signs of damage.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Moving characters individually wouldn't work all too well with the squad-based mechanic of X-Com. I prefer that one side moves all its units, then the others. It makes you have to compromise between offense and defence quite nicely :)

Moving characters individually wouldn't work all too well with the squad-based mechanic of X-Com. I prefer that one side moves all its units, then the others. It makes you have to compromise between offense and defence quite nicely :)

How many troops can an Avenger hold? Thirty something? That means you've got to go through thirty something turns before you get your TUs back next turn. No. Bad idea all around.

Exactly, and Reaction shots is what's keeping the whole turn-based experience realistic... ^_^

• 3 weeks later...
Guest alex the greater
what about a system simaler to laser squad nemasis thats the moast realistic turn based stratagy system ever made (no stupid wating for your turn)

Guest alex the greater
well LSN is basicly a rts that pauses evry 10seconds and alows you to give orders so bolth sides take thare turn at the same time you just give orders and sit back and wach

also, LSN was created by the same guys that made xcom. it's basically the next step, as I understand it. haven't yet played it though.

important point is, though: if you make a game "inspired by" an existing game, and use a movement system "inspired by" a game made by the same guys, does that add up to a rip-off? :devillaugh:

no, seriously, I don't know whether they would tolerate this. btw, did anyone of the xenocide team ever talk to anyone of the original creators of xcom? not the ones who own the rights, but the creators?

I don't think the creators of Warcraft are unhappy about all those games "ripping off" their concept (all RTS), why wouldn't the creators of UFO tolerate what is done here?

• 1 month later...

What I would love to see is, like in most turn based games, a colored area arround the selected unit that shows the tiles where it can move with the remaining UTs, and if you reserve UTs for snap/auto/aimed that colored area adjusts its size and shows where you can move AND shoot the type of attack you selected.

The size of that area also involves other factors besides UTs in order to climb cliffs or stairs.

[sorry for my poor english :'(]

Actually the simple graphical addition that kirill suggested would add much convenience when moving your squad. Its a feature that has been included in many tactical games, all of the FFTactics type games use this and for good reason. Its simply easier to formulate a strategy when you don't have to "guess" if that character is going to have enough TUs to make it into the proper position.

The most convincing part of this feature though is how incredibly easy it would be to implement it into the game. I would imagine the lead programmer could do it in like a day, very simple calculations.

The only problem is that Xenocide is not planning on using tile-based movement. This affects the issue very little however. It would still be very simple to implement. Imagine a large circle around your character dictating exactly how far the soldier could move considering all the factors of terrain and TU conservation.

Personally I liked the tile-based movement and I don't know if removing it is going to add much to the game but I won't get into that here.

• 3 months later...

Apocalypse had a feature in its turn based combat that displayed what time units would be at the end of moving to a location above the movement cuboid, with the words "Too Far" when your soldier couldn't reach the spot. This could simply enough be replicated I'd assume, even without a tile based design (I thought the tiles were cool myself), to show just how many TUs would be available.

One supremely important feature that wasn't part of the original UFO was TFTD's toggled reservers of TUs and ducking. Is that planned on being implemented in Xenocide 1.0, because it's incredibly tedious clicking reserve for every character, every turn. -_-

• 4 months later...

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I was bored.

...because it's incredibly tedious clicking reserve for every character, every turn

I was playing again today, and reading this bit refreshed my memory about the way I sometimes think the game would work this way when it doesn't - and that is that every time I went to move a soldier and click one of the 'reserve for X type of shot' thing, I keep thinking that when I click on the next soldier to move, whom I wanted to expend all his TUs as he scouted - the game automatically assumes I want to reserve TUs for him too.

Rather, what I'd like to see is that it defaults to the 'expend all TUs' button instead, yet every time I'd cycle back to the one I didn't, it would remember which reserved shot I picked for him, and make that the default for that unit each time around come time to move him again.

I think this ability would make things easier on the whole affair of scouting, then using your 'reserved' men to back them up.