XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Chrysallid Tactics

Bill Rizer

I am on beginner level, so I don't get the full flavour of them; they just walk around for my men to use them as target practise! :D

Except when there are two of them in very close proximity to your men in a building - then they seem to get bloodlust. Use Heavy Plasmas, and always have 2-3 man squads. That way EVERYTHING dies.

if your poor and a cheap bastard, get some incinarary ammo. this is like in the first day sof th egame. the only thing you can really do is shoot them. also, a known tactic is to have each man carry a primed nade so if he gets infected he explodes. if your approaching something, or going around a corner, try to have the guys with quick reaction sup first, because if a chyrssalad sees you he will run towards you, and they usually get very very close before they run out of tu's

Fighting 'lids with lasers is a lot like fighting sectoids with pistols. Explosives are the way to go. A single auto burst from a ac with he clips can kill a chryssalid on superhuman. Flame ammo on the other hand seems to be least effective (one took 4 ic rockets!)

My most recent tactic is to avoid them. I'm shoting down all of Terror UFOs attempting to create terror site. Im not going on missions where 'lids are, unless I really have to (As far it is 9th month and I haven't). I hope that my first encounter with 'em will be at Cydonia basement.

:sly: You don't like me or something? Or maybe you just like zombied guys? :sly: ;)

But, I've just destroyed Snakeman Base and captured one of those sweet 'lids and Commander. All done with certified X-Com PSI-Amp tech.

Hehehe. Are you sure you stunned them when they were under alien control? If not they will probably disappear. :)

I have no problem with you El. But I used to be afraid of mutons, but once I killed one with an laser pistol, im not afraid of them so much. Chryssalids should be the same way for you, unless he gets up close for a lil chryssalid hug :D.

Well while playing my Experienced game I decided that I'm recovering UFOs only to get Elerium and data for my Ships Price Research (I have all but Terror Ship). When I shot 'em down then they're mostly messed up so I'm too lazy to even bother with going on mission. And Terror Ships almost never land. (Only while country takeover but if I have to choose betwen letting UK falling into Aliens' hands or shot down TS I choose the second.)

• 1 month later...

Well, stun them so that you can get their ufopaedia entry of course! :)

Plus, HWPs are only partially effective against lids because they can still do physical damage to the tank. (usually takes 1-2 turns for me)

And in an emergency situation you can use it to stun yourself with it, for the aliens care not for stunned soldiers ^_^ (nice way of escaping certain death :beer: )

Not to mention that aliens with it, when inside a UFO will often stun themselves and if you're lucky several others with them :naughty:

Edited by j'ordos

Heh. I mind control them and walk them back and forth in front of aliens I want to stun right before I have a soldier run up and deploy the prod.

Of course, when that fails I tend to fall back on laser rifles. I'm not picking up enough clips for the plasma weapons to cover my soldiers rather casual attitude toward aiming.

It sucks you can't use aliens special abilities when you mind control them. I'd really love to zombify a bunch of aliens and then use the zombies and resulting chrysallids for target practice...

Edited by Ahriman

• 3 weeks later...

When fighting chrysallids, I usually have three-five rookies with laser pistols, or later on, laser rifles. At the start of each mission, I drop a smoke grenade, and send out the rookies to shoot every wall, tree, and door. With four auto shots and terrible accuracy, a rookie can swiss cheese a building pretty quick. I usually catch one or two chrysallids in hiding, and it's easy to have 4-5 guys in the smoke unloading their TU's on them. I use the walls that are still standing for cover later on, to advance my line. Works every time, especially on a rural mission, those cheap shacks. ^_^

Early on, it's cheap to have four agents carrying twin High Explosives. Later on, I might use a tank. But flying suits just put those black crabs to shame. Unless they start putting on moon shoes... or start throwing sticky eggs onto agents... :devillaugh:

Or just fly and use a pistol if you feel like it.

Isn't Ahriman one of the two main Gods in Zoroastrianism?

If Zoroastrianism is what I think it is, then yes. Ahriman is/was the prince of darkness and opposite of Ormuzd, the prince of light.

The pistol trick works too. One thing you can do is use the inventory bug(open the inventory screen with a regular soldier then scroll through till you come to a soldier with the aliens name) and give them guns. Since a chryssalid has 0 firing accuracy they won't hit anything, even at point-blank range.

No i shoot them down... Over water if i dont wanna fight them on the ground. I have the Terror missions, you get way better scores when you blast their donkey out of the air, then rip them apart on the ground with 2 snipers In flying armor and a boat load of T- Shirt rookies. (or if later in the game, personal armor cause it is cheap)

I tend to just over whelm with numbers... i go through rookies like tissue paper, send in rookies till the alien's TUs are gone then bam, rush in their and cap those fools. How can i afford this early game? one word, Engineers.

chryssalids aren't as bad as their reputation implies..

The only place I don't want to see them at is terror sites. In bases and ufos they suck. They never seem to see my soldiers, just running around, maybe few times they come near my soldier and suddenly turn back and run behind some corner. I almost never get any of my soldiers turned to zombies. Even if I stand few squares away from chryssalid with zero tu:s, they are stupid and walk away on their turn. I'm dissapointed.

But they are crazy at night terror sites though. Almost unstoppable.

The only real save I've found against Chrysalids at night was using bigger squads. Where I normally divide my troops into three man fire teams, on night-time snakeman terror sites, or larger ships I go with two teams of 7 and move more slowly to maximise opportunity fire.

They truly are terror sites when you're doing them at night though. Chrysallids have far too many time units for anyone's good.

Until you get flying suits. Then it's like "Ohh look at that poor little thing, trying to get us. Who wants to kill it? Sir! "

Hehe. They can't do that in Xcom, but hopefully they will be able to do it in xenocide! :devillaugh:

Edited by Cpl. Facehugger

Until you get flying suits. Then it's like "Ohh look at that poor little thing, trying to get us. <A chryssalid is clicking its mandibles in frustration> Who wants to kill it? <Suddenly, the chryssalid leaps up, latches onto the Xcom commander and knocks him to the ground> Sir! <The Chryssalid rams its ovipastar down the commander's throat, within seconds a new chryssalid bursts from the commanders body>"

Hehe. They can't do that in Xcom, but hopefully they will be able to do it in xenocide! :devillaugh:

I hate does damn buggers... Don't make them jump as well...

That's why they made tentaculats as flying monsters in TFTD :)

i hate them.. first time i saw them zombivie one of my troops i instantly thought they were the same as the xcom1 Chryssalids..but i was so wrong when i saw all my flying elite troops got gobbled up in 1 turn.

No, we do have to make them jump. Otherwise they become completely useless once flying suits come around. (And if you're quick about it, you can get them by your first chryssalid encounter)

you could just make them fly like tentaculats in TFTD. but i agree, it's damn nerve breaking since they're loaded with TUs <_>

• 1 month later...
chryssalids aren't as bad as their reputation implies..

The only place I don't want to see them at is terror sites. In bases and ufos they suck. They never seem to see my soldiers, just running around, maybe few times they come near my soldier and suddenly turn back and run behind some corner. I almost never get any of my soldiers turned to zombies. Even if I stand few squares away from chryssalid with zero tu:s, they are stupid and walk away on their turn. I'm dissapointed.

But they are crazy at night terror sites though. Almost unstoppable.

Yeah....'Lids are like little heck hybrids at nite terror sites....

I swear...one terror mission 2 'lids walked half way across the map and walked up the ramp but never got all the way....only 1 sqaure up, then went around the back, i ended the turn a few times, they just kept coming back and goining into the darkness again....i sent in a squadie...my lowest ranked player at the moment and as soon as he got down he saw 3 'lids...he was carring a alien nade...primed of course....i end turn.....poor guy got surrounded then my turn came....HE DIDNT GET ZOMBIED!

I was like....no way....so i ended the turn again....and they all ran away on me....

:huh?:

Now that was just a load of bs....

...Anyways i tried to follow them, about 3 turns later i found 2 of em, there where huddled in a corner. i got as close as possible and ended the turn....one came right up to me and went back to the corner, then the other did the same.....so i finally had it !!!!!! :cussing:

I backed away and threw the nade.....KABOOOM both of em died :D

But guess what happened after i ended the turn? the 3rd one came around the corner and zombied my guy :(

i was on begginger difficulty....

But i later got revenge and fed those dam things some nice silver footballs... :devillaugh:

LOL

• 2 weeks later...

always carry grenades, and stun them, then bomb em

oh yeah, tentaculats don't show up at terror sights though. But i once lost my whole squad of men to one once. It was horrible. just crawled into my shuttle, and got my closest three guys, then the zombies killed them, and then :explode:

A story http://www.angelfire.com/fang/frock/rocketlaunch.gif http://www.angelfire.com/fang/frock/Submachinegun2.gif :explode:

Edited by blehm

I move slowly, and use alot of grenades

just got flying suit, but now etherials and mutons are showing up. [shiver] Mutons suck, but etherials, nasty little buggers

• 4 weeks later...
Until you get flying suits. Then it's like "Ohh look at that poor little thing, trying to get us. <A chryssalid is clicking its mandibles in frustration> Who wants to kill it? <Suddenly, the chryssalid leaps up, latches onto the Xcom commander and knocks him to the ground> Sir! <The Chryssalid rams its ovipastar down the commander's throat, within seconds a new chryssalid bursts from the commanders body>"

That would be really cool but would suck very much for you as well. :LOL:

I put flying suits to good use once I get them, but before I do, I usually go with grenades.

Edited by Xer0

My tactics for tentaculats in TFTD:

-Move with reaction fire in mind (requires that your soldiers have high reactions). Two soldiers walk together and groups of soldiers try to cover for each other. You make good target for disrupter pulse launcher (blaster bomb) if there's an alien carrying one around, but otherwise, reaction fire can kill the Tentaculat before it gets to you. This is not the method I prefer by the way (really only use it if I totally trust my soldiers' reaction firing).

-Move with reckless scouting supported by heavy artillery fire. Either a weapons platform or scout moves out to spot the threat, if a tentaculat is in sight, the artillery try to move to angle from which I don't have to shoot it in the front (try shooting it in the flanks and rear), fill the thing with whatever firepower I have. This only works if you keep a good number of soldiers near your sub (or somewhere on the back of your scout) and the terrain doesn't block you like heck. This tactic is used when the scout sees the tentaculat at the end of his/her TUs (so no TUs to run back).

-If the scout has TUs to run back, he runs back shouting "TENTACULAT!!!" at the top of his/her lungs, and the artillery guys pull out melee weapons and get close to the scout. If possible, they still fire but priority is getting close enough to actually make melee weapons work in the next turn. If you have run far enough, the tentaculat either ends up fairly close to you or gets near you but can't attack you. Rip it apart with melee weapons.

-If tentaculats are at a crash site, you have to deal with them in UFOs. It's very similar to what you should do in terror sites: get lots of melee weapons and get to them before they get to you.