XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Earliest Base Attack

Morganjs1

Hey all,

after starting a new XCOM game on beginner difficulty I go through the usual setup, order more scientists, buy a HWP, sell unwanted equipment etc.

It all arrives, I arrange it as I want, then save the game.

Then immediately I get a base invasion by the aliens..

This seems a bit harsh considering its beginner difficulty and I was wondering whats the shortest time people have had their base invaded in.

This must have occurred within 1 week, and only previous UFO I'd seen was a very small one which I'd destroyed.

Chalk it up to a bad toss by the random number generator.

I've had a very similar experience too. Started brand new game and shot down one UFO. Probably recovered it, or perhaps it landed in the sea. A few game days later I end up having to restart the game as my base gets attacked before all my big-anti-cyberdisc-guns had a chance to arrive. I'd say this was within the first week or so.

- NKF

Edited by NKF

• 3 months later...

I'm playing my first game after a long XCOM break (how? Oh god, how could I not play UFO for so long?) and am in mid january, but after my first game where I was not attacked until march, I always get attacked 28th january.

Anyway it's not a problem being attacked in my base, save for one that happened later, I've solved those easily. Rarely got more than two men down.

If you down an UFO near your base, it would be good to have an interceptor patrolling your base for the next hours, so you avoid Alien probes detecting your base... Interceptors have 100% detection within their range, don't they???

• 4 weeks later...

I just played (and got kicked) in a superhuman game.

I shot down a muton craft over the Arctic (from my USA base). April

They came looking for me in the USA (crap!).

I had Hyperwave so I saw the searching UFOs

As they came in, I just watched em.

Now the way I understand it, If they see you, they immediately shoot away at high speed.

This did not happen, they just drifted by and left, tailed by my interceptor.

I thought they did not see me but they did as next thing the battleship homes in.

Whats with their maneuvers?

I am a bit confused, I vaguely recall that the low flying searching UFOs come in a snaking flight pattern, but they did not. Am I going mad or thinking of some other game?

The aliens don't shoot away at high speed after they see you.

If the aliens are on a retaliation mission, the first thing they do is send a scout every once and a while to locate your base. I forget what the actual number is, but if they get within a certain distance from your base they may detect it. So the best thing you could do is prevent them from wandering too close, i.e., shooting the UFO's down. If you have a Mind Shield constructed, that may help to conceal your whereabouts too. So be more proactive, go out and get them before they come to get you! :)

- Zombie

The aliens don't shoot away at high speed after they see you.

If the aliens are on a retaliation mission, the first thing they do is send a scout every once and a while to locate your base. I forget what the actual number is, but if they get within a certain distance from your base they may detect it. So the best thing you could do is prevent them from wandering too close, i.e., shooting the UFO's down. If you have a Mind Shield constructed, that may help to conceal your whereabouts too. So be more proactive, go out and get them before they come to get you! :)

- Zombie

You know, I recall some version of this game where the UFO's when searching for your base come in real slow and low, in a SNAKING pattern...

Typically, UFOs on scouting duty (whether it be retaliation, base building or research) will come into the area at a high velocity and high altitude, then slow down and start the search flying around in a semi-random fashion which can sometimes look serpentine in nature. They may even land (depending on mission type). If the UFO doesn't find anything worthwhile it takes off and scouts a little more at a low speed. It may land again. The aliens will probably repeat this pattern a few times until it decides "enough is enough" and just flies off at max speed. In my experience, the scouting is less serpentine and more random with big changes in distance between waypoints. I've played a few versions and haven't seen smooth scouting, but I haven't played them all yet. ^_^

- Zombie

Edited by Zombie

I've got an old version of the game 1.2? I think. I never saw snakelike patterns; more like shooting the cue ball on a pool table kind of pattern.

• 9 months later...
It's been a while since it happend, but it was the first mission, and first month. All, except two die. Others just got mowed down from cyberdisc plasma, mind control + shoot your buddy. I didn't even see any ufo in my radar, suddenly the game just told my base was under an attack. Well, I got like all alien tech during that mission, including blaster launcher...

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm feeling pretty special after reading through these Base Attacks.. I've been hit twice in January on the Experienced setting. I've been very successful in swatting UFOs and then they came in fast on the 24nd and 28th, the Laser Rifles kept them at bay, just. Though an exploding Cyberdisc near levelled an entire hangar dramatically.

I've had them swanning about my base twice with Battleships and it is only Feb18th. Either the game is rolling hard or I've some easily annoyed interlopers planet side.

- Xcommie.