XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Xcom... The Game that Defined my Life, a random tribute

TheHippopotamus

Some may think it sad, others just plain odd. But I first played Enemy Unknown when I was seven, heck I wrote a paper on it in Elementary School. My teacher didn't know what to think, but I suppose it was from the same kid that wrote in strange detail about World War One air combat. Today though, when I want to play a video game Xcom always crosses my mind. I've beat it countless times, assumed a meticulous accountant like attention to detail in every tiny part of base, squad, and mission management but still, after twelve years it hasn't gotten old. Thus, as I sit here slightly bored in Egypt an ocean away from my home, it is not a distant romance or thoughts of family or friends that occupy my mind, but rather the nagging pain that I forgot to bring Xcom. I thusly reminisce of Sectoids and Ethereals my sometimes friends, more often enemies. Separated for the first time in my life I can truly appreciate how great of a game it is! Xcom... how I miss you...

Maybe a bit dramatic. But, I thought I post something random to state my love of Xcom. Considering I've been playing it on and off for more than half my life, it is tough to not conclude that it hasn't had some impact on my life. Thanks for all the battles, all the memories! I hope to show my kids Xcom someday and laugh as they get wiped again and again! It's hard to believe after all this time no better game has been made in my opinion... heck, may never be made.

God bless you Xcom!

Some may think it sad, others just plain odd. But I first played Enemy Unknown when I was seven, heck I wrote a paper on it in Elementary School. My teacher didn't know what to think, but I suppose it was from the same kid that wrote in strange detail about World War One air combat. Today though, when I want to play a video game Xcom always crosses my mind. I've beat it countless times, assumed a meticulous accountant like attention to detail in every tiny part of base, squad, and mission management but still, after twelve years it hasn't gotten old. Thus, as I sit here slightly bored in Egypt an ocean away from my home, it is not a distant romance or thoughts of family or friends that occupy my mind, but rather the nagging pain that I forgot to bring Xcom. I thusly reminisce of Sectoids and Ethereals my sometimes friends, more often enemies. Separated for the first time in my life I can truly appreciate how great of a game it is! Xcom... how I miss you...

Maybe a bit dramatic. But, I thought I post something random to state my love of Xcom. Considering I've been playing it on and off for more than half my life, it is tough to not conclude that it hasn't had some impact on my life. Thanks for all the battles, all the memories! I hope to show my kids Xcom someday and laugh as they get wiped again and again! It's hard to believe after all this time no better game has been made in my opinion... heck, may never be made.

God bless you Xcom!

Thanks for the testimony :)

I'm sure X-COM made quite an impact on the gaming and personal lives of plenty of people on this site (and others) and and it is still kicking after all these years. For my part it made me write an X-COM fanfic of nearly 700 pages long and I had the idea of writing a book about aliens invading earth since I was 9 or 10 (before the game came out), so it was a nice way to realizing that dream :)

God bless you Xcom!

I'll drink to that! A toast to TheHippopotamus and X-COM! :beer:

I've always been remotely interested in UFOs because my uncle had a collection of UFO books and literature. It was interesting to read about what the researchers thought on certain subjects. I guess this is the reason why I liked the game the first time I played it. It's now years later and I find myself playing less and less for fun and more and more for research. Hmmm, I see some similarities here. Anyway, I blame NKF for getting me into that aspect. LOL

- Zombie