• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 fidel_

fidel_

Alien Concept Task Force

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 162 posts

Posted 11 January 2004 - 04:46 PM

Since psi-amp is still red on the art asset list I thought I could give it a try. This is just a "quick" scetch, altough it took me over an hour. It's based on the original gun style psi-amplifier.

Attached Files

Posted Image

#2 Whitewashed

Whitewashed

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 11 January 2004 - 05:25 PM

that looks great fidel!

#3 Cpl. Facehugger

Cpl. Facehugger

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 3,749 posts

Posted 11 January 2004 - 06:39 PM

It most assuredly does. But we may want to stay away from Xcom like models due to legal issues. :(
I'm only partially inactive. :P I can still be reached at cpl.facehugger@gmail.com, and via PM. Preferably the former.

*Coming back? Avast! Facehugger, finish your assignments!*

Posted Image

#4 Whitewashed

Whitewashed

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 11 January 2004 - 06:49 PM

Just make a few quick changes and no one can sue you for it :wink:

#5 fidel_

fidel_

Alien Concept Task Force

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 162 posts

Posted 11 January 2004 - 07:20 PM

Yeah, and I had to use a lot of imagination already while using that tiny pixelized picture as referral. ^_^ It's just a scetch anyway, too high poly even for x-net usage, but if you guys like it I can try and make an in-game version of it with textures (I'm dying to use some gloss and bump mapping with alien materials). So if you have any suggestions on how to make it different, I'm all ears.
Posted Image

#6 Cpl. Facehugger

Cpl. Facehugger

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 3,749 posts

Posted 11 January 2004 - 07:44 PM

Get rid of the spikes, make it more of a bump. Just a suggestion.
And of course it will need the iridium sheen! All our alien alloy based stuff has that! :)
I'm only partially inactive. :P I can still be reached at cpl.facehugger@gmail.com, and via PM. Preferably the former.

*Coming back? Avast! Facehugger, finish your assignments!*

Posted Image

#7 Vaaish

Vaaish

Artwork Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 11 January 2004 - 10:46 PM

looks good, now start tweaking it to make it not so close to the original.

#8 Breunor

Breunor

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 12:14 AM

That is a nice model all right. Instead of the spikes, what about half circle/discs that are coming out the end there, from a side shot it still looks like spikes a bit but is more of an "emmiter" in shape. The other major thing that makes you think of the original is the shape of the handle, perhaps you could try some variation of the sleeve handle used in the plasma weapons? That would make it different enough not to be an issue IMO.

As to the link colors in the asset list, maybe I need to update that to explain that if it's blue, it's being modeled for a final cut and no longer in the concept design stage? For example the Avenger concept is done and the final model is done, so it would be green, while the armor concept is done but the texturing for the final model isn't ready so it's blue. Anything in red is still taking concepts and suggestions...

#9 Puasonen

Puasonen

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 2,911 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 01:24 AM

Fidel sure has a good imagination. Nice model indeed but I don't understand why people are afraid of legal issues. If you look at the ethereal consept, it doesn't differ from the original at all! IMO of course..
There's no need for a sig..

#10 fidel_

fidel_

Alien Concept Task Force

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 162 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 02:40 AM

I did some quick editing, this is how the sleeve might look like.

Attached Files

Posted Image

#11 RustedSoul

RustedSoul

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Creative-Text Departmen
  • 477 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 03:59 AM

[Darth Vader voice]

most impressive

#12 Puasonen

Puasonen

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 2,911 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 06:49 AM

It's great! If someone still has something to say about the similaritys, you can change the color of that pink "juice" you have there..
There's no need for a sig..

#13 mikker

mikker

Artwork Department

• Xenocide Artwork Department
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 07:42 AM

Its great. But it might be twisted to look a little more alien? How does it look with the sheen?

and about the 60.000.....i though it was 60.000.....guess i've looked too much at the Half-Life 2 movies...

Edited by mikker, 12 January 2004 - 07:43 AM.

Some people say that dreams are a portal to the subconscious. If that is so, I am a very disturbed person.

the truth about scientology

#14 fidel_

fidel_

Alien Concept Task Force

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 162 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 08:17 AM

Its great. But it might be twisted to look a little more alien? How does it look with the sheen?

I'm going to experiment with some materials today, I'll post my results if I'll end up with anything decent. I was not sure how alien I would do it because I wasn't sure if it was semi-alien tech (built on earth from alien materials) or entirely alien tech. I went with the semi-alien look, but I guess with some weird texturing I can definitely make it look alien in origin. ^_^
Posted Image

#15 Vaaish

Vaaish

Artwork Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 08:42 AM

Fidel, try pulling off that sleeve and bringing that front piece in more or adding some supports on the sides. that might help make it look differnt w/o ruining the grip area.

#16 Whitewashed

Whitewashed

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 11:08 AM

Well, the psi-amp is designed by humans as aliens don't use them. They're based on alien tech though, but I do think they'd try to keep a standard human design to it.

#17 Cpt. Boxershorts

Cpt. Boxershorts

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 453 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 11:51 AM

As a way to cut down on polys, could the barrel extensions be done as a texture rather than modeled? I'm sure a lot of your polys are sucked up in those thin rods with the bumps. Would one big cylinder witha texture work better ?

(says the guy who struggles to use MS Paint)

-The Captain
"...you're always afraid you'll lose control and wake up some morning with a half-built time machine and a plan to go back in time and pants Hitler."
- A Miracle of Science

Posted Image

#18 Ion

Ion

Artwork Department

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 11:53 AM

I like it!
Nice work there!

#19 revenant4

revenant4

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 30 January 2004 - 12:08 AM

Nice work...I like the rods on the first model...they look thicker than the second models rendition...They may not be different in size, could just be the way the camera is positioned but if they were resized try the thicker ones

#20 Kamikazee

Kamikazee

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 08 May 2004 - 10:03 AM

Firstly, if somebody has made or is making the psi amp already just say.

If not i need any concepts people have especially wot we are going to do with those frikkin' spikes.

I'll add my current model tommorrow.

Edited by Kamikazee, 08 May 2004 - 10:04 AM.

#21 Breunor

Breunor

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 10:28 PM

Hey K, I merged your thread into this one, which has Fidel making a very nice model for it. Fidel, could you upload the current state of your work to the server for us, so we can keep track of everything? Thanks!

#22 Kamikazee

Kamikazee

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 11:19 AM

oh right sorry. didn't realise you were doing it. my bad.
Its looking very good! I kind of gave up on mine when it got to those frikken' spikes. they are so annoyying! but youv'e adapted it well, nice one.

#23 Blehm 98

Blehm 98

Colonel

• [Global Moderators]
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,626 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 09:35 AM

Maybe something to make it easier to hold though. Like a grip.
Top Secret Xenocide Status report

BF2 Hackers =5SF= have busted
]sD[ Engageo <-- couldn't get him banned though, no screenshot of him ingame
]sD[Nomisser
an AK guy
The anti-logarithm of the logarithm of X plus the logarithm of Y equals X times Y, or 10^(logX + logY) = XY
Posted Image
I hate spider solitaire...