16 replies to this topic

#1 Anglachel

Anglachel

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 20 December 2003 - 04:29 PM

I just read through some of the CT stuff and some things will be changed, a full size touch screen for one thing. I am not positive about color, but I did this for fun. Just after some ideas and suggestions. I will do the full LCD and probably remove the wires and place something else there. Should this be modeled after the m112 or the m118?

Attached Files

Edited by Anglachel, 22 December 2003 - 12:36 AM.

#2 Anglachel

Anglachel

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 20 December 2003 - 04:35 PM

I feel the smooth render looks better and shows the design more. So here it is. Textures and color are not final, just help things stand out.

Attached Files

Edited by Anglachel, 22 December 2003 - 12:37 AM.

#3 Breunor

Breunor

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 21 December 2003 - 11:14 AM

That's a good design, I think the m112 sounds like a better description of the device, the other is more of sheets.

#4 Anglachel

Anglachel

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 21 December 2003 - 12:02 PM

So four blocks of c-4 or stick with two?

Edit: Forgot the 118 is four pieces, nevermind.

Edited by Anglachel, 21 December 2003 - 12:04 PM.

#5 Vaaish

Vaaish

Artwork Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 21 December 2003 - 12:48 PM

for the texture of the explosive bricks, now about using a brown paper look to give the impression they are wrapped. I think it looks good as it is. doesn't need to be very complex.

#6 Anglachel

Anglachel

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 22 December 2003 - 12:38 AM

This is the only brown paper texture I have.

#7 Vaaish

Vaaish

Artwork Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 22 December 2003 - 12:47 AM

This is the only brown paper texture I have.

do you have access to Photoshop or a similar program? Also do you have access to a scanner or digital camera. If you do you can probably make a really nice brown paper texture complete with the folded and taped ends.

look ing good for a base texture though.

#8 MPaans

MPaans

Squaddie

• Forum Members
  • PipPip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 May 2004 - 03:21 PM

Hmm.. High Explosive was very red when I checked the assets list.. so I figured I could go ahead and think of something.. guess I should've checked the forum first.. my bad. :wacko:

Anyway, I came up with something as well. I like your model, but think about how you will be throwing this bad baby.. I thought of a 'grip' within the bomb. Also, I kept the keypad within the pad. I added a bit of shadow, hoping to illustrate this. I'll make a quick model if needed to give you a better idea.

I should also mention I had a binary liquid in mind (does it exist, even? I got the idea from Die Hard 3). Which mixes into this high explosive liquid. I dunno.. Just a freaky idea I had while designing :D

ps. I'm seeing just a 3D concept is ok as well? I don't really draw much, as you may see.. Anyway, I happen to agree to draw things out before modelling, as it is easier to add a lot of detail in very little time.

Attached Files

#9 MagicAndy

MagicAndy

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 04:58 PM

I like the little "X" you snuck in there :D

Incidentally it doesn't have to be a liquid, the picture kind of reminded me about the about the chewing gum from Mission Impossible.

I would have liked to have seen it as some kind tall thin briefcase that would slot into a leg hoslter with a handle at the top and a panel at the side.

#10 Deimos

Deimos

Colonel

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 07:19 PM

I don't know what the current state of the heavy explosive is? Do we have it in the modelling assets?

Mpaans feel free to work this one up as a model, but remember it does have to be capable of being thrown so it can't be too bulky. I don't know whether the X would work in the model, unless Xcorps manufactures the heavy explosive it might be a good idea to just have the model name and warning stickers and so on. Remember we're going for realistic looking. Other than that good work :)

#11 MPaans

MPaans

Squaddie

• Forum Members
  • PipPip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 02:51 PM

Well, here's the model for it.. not optimised in any way.. just to give you guys an idea how it looks. I agree on making a slimmer model so it would better fit in a leg holster, for example.

I'll see about making some modifications soon.

on a further note :

Mpaans feel free to work this one up as a model, but remember it does have to be capable of being thrown so it can't be too bulky. I don't know whether the X would work in the model, unless Xcorps manufactures the heavy explosive it might be a good idea to just have the model name and warning stickers and so on. Remember we're going for realistic looking. Other than that good work

Well.. let's not forget : this IS a high explosive pack we're talking about, so it IS bulky :P ;)

Oh.. I might have overlooked the fact that we're going for realistic looking.. *makes BIG note of that*

Attached Files

Edited by MPaans, 19 May 2004 - 03:07 PM.

#12 Vaaish

Vaaish

Artwork Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 03:23 PM

I guess it depends on if you think HE is equal to 3lbs of C4 or a tac nuke. I think it's still a little bulky, maybe not make it shorter and more flat ?

#13 Breunor

Breunor

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 03:35 PM

IIRC, the HE takes up a 1x2 space in inventory, along the lines of the pistol or medkit. Making a very general estimate of the 1x1 inventory squares, perhaps we could say they are 6 inches/15cm across? So the HE would max out at 6x12", plus the third dimensions height. Just scale the grip to be almost the entire length of the body, and you'd be fine. That allows for several pounds of c4, more than enough to ruin someones day.

#14 fux0r666

fux0r666

Alien Concept Task Force

• Xenocide Artwork Department
  • 1,028 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 04:30 PM

Modern examples of such a device can be found in the form of the satchel charge. They literally look like a green sachel bag. A flap that folds over the mouth conceals the controls for the arming mechanism and timer. The advantage of having the explosive as a satchel is that it is easily portable and simple to operate, and it doesn't need to be stowed inside a backback to the soldier doesn't have to strip out of his gear to get to it.

(I can't find a decent picture of a real satchel charge)

So, what this tells me from a design standpoint is that large explosive devices like the sachel charge need not be combersome or difficult to carry. Also, since the weight of explosive is still the weight of explosive regardless of the shape of the container, the container ought to reflect an ease of portability.

All of the above reflect a militaristic approach to the design. A problem I can forsee is that a satchel does not necessarily look like a bomb. On the other hand, a bomb that looks like a cooler with a timer on the side (this is not a comment on any design in this forum, but an archetype of bomb designs) does not necessarily look like military equipment.

The problem is that the equipment will be carried one of the various inventory slots of the characters, so having a satchel inside if a pocket on a tactical vest or inside of a rucksack is kind of pointless. One advantage of the stachel charge design is that many people are familiar with them already.

Here are a few different approaches to the c4 in counter-strike, which I think is relevantly similar in form and function.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here I go an angry brother gonna make his move
But can I buck him in the city so I never lose?
See I'm a get him in the crowd with a couple heavies
And lay the barrel to the ground, hold the gat steady
And now I'm ready for my adversary, talk is cheap
I'm looking for a way to make a plan gonna keep it neat
So don't be telling me to get the non-violent spirit
'cause when I'm violent is the only time the devils hear it
'cause all I want to see is m****f***ing brains hanging

Posted Image

#15 MagicAndy

MagicAndy

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 05:35 PM

that last one caught my eye :naughty:

#16 mikker

mikker

Artwork Department

• Xenocide Artwork Department
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 09:02 AM

yeah. Some pipes stuck on the outside of the explosive charge?

Some people say that dreams are a portal to the subconscious. If that is so, I am a very disturbed person.

the truth about scientology

#17 Deimos

Deimos

Colonel

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 05:43 PM

Hmm, how about a mix between the last of fuxor's ref pics and what MPaans has. Sort of a boxy tube with buttons on. That doesn't make sense but I hope you guys get what I mean ;)